• Breaking News

    Friday, November 29, 2019

    iOS Gaming The struggle is real

    iOS Gaming The struggle is real


    The struggle is real

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 06:27 PM PST

    If you're experiencing pain in your hand do not ignore it!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 07:10 PM PST

    TL;DR - If you're experiencing pain in your hand/thumb do not ignore it. Put your phone down, take some medicine if needed, and if the pain persists see your doctor.

    My intention with this post is to use my own misjudgment to make sure others are aware that sometimes what seems like minor discomfort can actually be something worse. It's much better to be safe and comfortable than sorry and in more pain than necessary.

    For a little bit of background, I've been playing games nearly since birth. The original Nintendo Entertainment System slightly predated me, but I started using tech extremely young. However, this was mostly in the evenings and weekends since I was in school during the day. When the iPhone came out it was great having a phone that could do everything. When mobile gaming started to pick up it was fun having a gaming system that I could carry with me wherever I was.

    I should preface the next part by saying that I have a condition that causes my joints to have less cushioning and generally degrade quicker than my age would suggest. The end result is that it's like having joints of someone twice my age, but the effects aren't "unique" to me - they just happen quicker. That's the very long story short. Consequently, I also have an extremely high pain tolerance and tend to ignore pain (including dropping a 32-case of Sprite on my foot the other day).

    The first iOS games that I really got into were CSR Racing and Final Fantasy Record Keeper. One was a bit more action-y and one was a bit more strategic and nostalgic. The fun part of playing both was that I could give each a rest and play each depending on what mood I was in. Only playing two at a time also meant that I would take breaks here and there because I "beat" the content available at the time.

    Fast forward to today and I currently play 17 iOS games. Some of them I've spent money on, some of them I haven't, but I bounce between each one until a holiday/special event comes around, I get a really good/lucky pull, or my mood feels like playing a specific one or two. I play multiple actively everyday and the rest I log in and play one or two levels / dungeons / matches / rounds / whatever. I'm one of those people who don't need many hours of sleep so I generally play in the evenings and early mornings when my family is resting/sleeping. When I'm working, I run a business that involves nearly constant communication with people and clients by calling, emailing, texting, etc. Thus, my hands are almost never stopping.

    While everyone's situation is unique, the end result is often similar - repetitive use of the dominant hand, especially the thumb for the majority of taps/swipes/etc. Combine that with often using phones in situations where there isn't much space to rest your elbow and you get a situation where the joints in the dominant arm get used repetitively in a manner that doesn't offer much in the way of comfort. All of this is compounded by texting, calling, emailing, and anything else for non-gaming work.

    I'm sure there are plenty of gamers who have experienced hand cramps and discomfort from playing games for too long and those individuals are likely already aware of it. However, I'm also sure that there are individuals who are not gamers or others who like myself who tend to ignore pain.

    Unfortunately, I failed to pay attention or take care of it. Consequently, I'm having to rest my arm, slow down the use of my hand, and take medicine that I may not have needed if I had let my hand rest earlier. I'm hoping that this will take care of it quickly because it impacts my work and these types of situations can develop to a point where surgery is required.

    Do not ignore pain. If you are feeling pain, then it is your body's way of telling you that something is amiss.

    Below are some examples of issues that can occur from gaming and similar repetitive motions.

    1. Bursitis: Mayo Clinic Information
    2. Tendonitis: Mayo Clinic Information
    3. de Quervain's Tenosynovitis: Mayo Clinic Information
    4. Carpal Tunnel: Mayo Clinic Information

    Here is what Cleveland Clinic says: Cleveland Clinic Information

    1. Try putting the device down, resting your arm on something soft, and letting arm/hand rest
    2. Use an ice pack to gently reduce swelling
    3. Take an anti-inflammatory medicine if rest and ice doesn't help
    4. Repeat the above and if it's not better after some time, then go and see your doctor

    TL;DR - Don't ignore pain. Remember: Your game(s) will still be there when you get back.

    Now, I'm going to stop typing and go give my hand and arm a rest ...

    submitted by /u/sUnit_Alpha
    [link] [comments]

    What games are on sale for Black Friday and worth picking up?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 05:23 AM PST

    I've already picked up Grimvalor, but I haven't really been able to find many other games on sale.

    I just got my first Apple device ever a couple weeks ago, so I'm not really sure what all is out there

    submitted by /u/maxmetalero
    [link] [comments]

    Any Games like Lunar Lander or Pilot Wings?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 08:36 AM PST

    My Dad is looking for gravity-based "relaxing" games like Lunar Lander and Pilot Wings. He also likes golf IRL, so he seems to enjoy gravity based puzzles. Does anyone know of anything he might like?

    submitted by /u/lostnebula
    [link] [comments]

    Can you recommend a Bomberman game on iOS?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 02:14 AM PST

    Preferably premium. No f2p crap with energy, multiple currencies, weekly subscription and whatnot. If it's f2p with option to remove ads thus make it premium, I'm fine with that. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/macplash
    [link] [comments]

    What are some great city-building games which aren’t littered with ads or in game transactions?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 10:05 AM PST

    Looking for a free browser that has Flash Player.

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 09:45 AM PST

    I was using Puffin until it got shut down earlier this month. Wanna play some old school games.

    submitted by /u/LazeLinez
    [link] [comments]

    Game of Thrones: Beyond the Wall development update

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 09:22 AM PST

    Portraitmode, landscape or both?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 01:46 AM PST

    We are developing a strategy game which would be best played by switching between landscape (general play) and portrait (pvp battles). We will probably change the pvp to be also played in landscape but wondering if it would be most suitable to give options to the player.

    Option 1 (default): Landscape for general play, switch to portrait for pvp/battles.

    Option 2 (settings): Landscape for both modes

    Option 3 (settings): Portrait for both modes

    Option 2 and 3 would ofc involve more development time and therefore higher cost so I wanted to ask the mobile community on their opinion.

    The game in dev is /r/citystates and on twitter.

    submitted by /u/citystates
    [link] [comments]

    Kerbal Space Program

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 02:34 PM PST

    I know that Kerbal doesn't exist in the iOS world, and that Simple Rockets 2 is always given as a replacement. However, don't I remember that another of this type came out a few months ago? I've searched everywhere and can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/battlewagon13
    [link] [comments]

    Cuphead Mobile Version Review (in comments).

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 02:51 PM PST

    Shooting games question

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 12:01 AM PST

    Hi! So I love shooting games on mobile( just online multiplayer like call of duty or critical ops). I was wondering if there were any shooting games besides apex legends that are rumored to be coming out on mobile?

    submitted by /u/GingerGod69
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for game similar go Geometry Wars

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 05:34 PM PST

    Hello there, I've been looking for a game for months now and I really need your help. I used to play this game on iPad multiple years ago (maybe around 2013-2014) because my mom's friend showed it to me and I found it so fun. The game was really similar to Geometry Wars. You could control the character with your finger and when you let go your finger, it would go in slow-motion and it would act as a pause menu until you put your finger back on the screen. I remember the catchy music and the powerups, enemies, etc. It was also very colourful. The thing is, my mom had kind of an argument with that friend of her, and he's refusing to talk to us now, so I don't want to go and ask him because he'll just ignore me. Please help me x)

    Edit : I think the game supported Everyplay or a similar thing, if this could help

    submitted by /u/Ceryyxx
    [link] [comments]

    Mirroring iOS games to PC?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 01:30 PM PST

    Airplane games

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:14 PM PST

    I am going to take a trip in 2 weeks and I need stuff to play w/o wi fi

    submitted by /u/Slingerang
    [link] [comments]

    Free games that can be played with friends around the table?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 07:16 PM PST

    Preferably mystery games or games where we need to communicate. Spyfall was the perfect game for us but we're looking for more variety.

    btw - happy thanksgiving guys.

    submitted by /u/Roxith
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for games with art styles similar to Monument Valley

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:37 PM PST

    Hey guys

    I recently got an iPhone 11 Pro. I'm looking for some nice looking games to play in a similar art style to Monument Valley.

    Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Usman2308
    [link] [comments]

    Arcade Racing Titles that are not FTP?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 11:48 AM PST

    I was looking for some good graphics, no IAP based model, premium racing experience, and decently priced. Preferably more Arcade-y, similar to Asphalt, not Grid Autosport. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/baby_kicked
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel