• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 21, 2018

    iPhone iOS 12 & iPhone Megathread [October 17, 2018]

    iPhone iOS 12 & iPhone Megathread [October 17, 2018]


    iOS 12 & iPhone Megathread [October 17, 2018]

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 06:35 AM PDT

    Have a question? Need help with iOS 12? Problem with your device? This is the place to ask.

    Starting now, we won't be approving posts that are questions or anything help-related resulting from iOS 12. Keeping everything in a megathread reduces the amount of help posts and one-sentence questions on the front page.

    Posts critisizing or praising iOS 12/iPhones are fine. Feature explanations/requests are fine.

    There'll be a new thread every week. If anyone has questions, please leave them below.

    We also have a Discord server you can join if you need assistance with your device or have questions regarding iOS/iPhone in general, we have experienced Apple support staff & enthusiasts with vast iOS/iPhone knowledge.

    If you see any iOS 12 help self-posts, or iPhone support questions in general on the front page, make sure to report it.

    submitted by /u/MonsieurTank
    [link] [comments]

    Poor bard disappeared in stage light

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 02:08 AM PDT

    This chart reveals a growing problem for Apple — that 'customers are getting less excited for each new generation of iPhone

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 06:53 AM PDT

    It’s just Animojis all the way down.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2018 05:15 PM PDT

    LPT: how to easily tell if your iPhone screen is an aftermarket copy without taking it apart

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 04:38 AM PDT

    This tip might be useful for those who recently got their screen replaced by a third-party repairer (if they said the screen is original but you have your doubts), bought a "new" iPhone from eBay or is thinking of buying a second-hand iPhone off of someone.

    The usual telltale signs are worse touch sensitivity, poor brightness/color reproduction, high reflectivity and a bad fit (i.e. edges of the screen don't smoothly meet the unibody). But unless you have a known original iPhone screen to compare side-by-side, it can be hard to tell by eye. Inspecting the screen on the inside is often more conclusive but you might not or cannot do that in some cases.

    Shine your phone's a torch/flashlight (your phone's will work well if it's another iPhone you're inspecting) onto the screen and look at the light's reflection in the screen. An aftermarket copy screen will have gridlines running through it, while an original screen will not.

    Aftermarket

    Original

    This method works on all iPhones that have an in-cell touch digitizer (iPhone 5 and onwards, through to the iPhone 8/Plus).

    Whether the screen is aftermarket or not is especially important on models that have 3D Touch, as the Touch IC has migrated from the logic board to the screen flex cable. An aftermarket screen will have an aftermarket IC (the silver rectangular block on the black flex cable), which has a fair chance of being bricked by a major iOS update.

    submitted by /u/vantt1
    [link] [comments]

    An article saying why 3D Touch failed miserably. Who all disagrees ?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 02:52 AM PDT

    I get the garden

    Posted: 20 Oct 2018 10:57 PM PDT

    I've used android all my life but recently switch to the iPhone XS. I picked up the Apple Watch S3 and finally get it. No apple doesn't do everything the best but they make things that work well together. They don't need to be the best at one thing when they do good at everything. Anyways I'm happy to be part of the family!

    submitted by /u/cupofnuggets30
    [link] [comments]

    My brother’s face unlocks my Face ID. We are not twins. Is this normal?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 04:12 AM PDT

    So this afternoon I handed my brother my phone to pick a Spotify song, and he knew my password, so I had no issues with worrying about him accessing it, and as he went to flick up to enter the password, the Face ID thought he was me and unlocked! We were able to replicate several times. We're not twins, we do look alike but it's quite easy to tell us apart. Is this a normal occurrence? I have a video if needed.

    submitted by /u/Ginger510
    [link] [comments]

    Currently have the 6S, should I get the 8+ or XR?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 09:28 AM PDT

    Broke as hell right now so probably won't be able to get the XS.

    submitted by /u/zxx456
    [link] [comments]

    I’m afraid im doing a downgrade from 8 Plus to XR

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 06:58 AM PDT

    My wife had an 8 Plus great phone, she used to take a lot of portrait photos, of flowers and our dog, now i heard that with XR you can only do portraits of human faces...which is not cool at all, i pre ordered th XR for her, but now im thinking that maybe i did a big mistake

    submitted by /u/TheRafavox
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone X owners - how important is the screen quality to you?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 06:45 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Been doing some research ahead of getting a new phone. At the moment I'm tied between a brand new XR, or a pre-owned X. They're both the same price, and offer want I'm looking for.

    The only two differences to me are the battery life (I can deal with the lower longevity of the X), and the screen.

    Would you say the superior screen of the X is a deal breaker to you? I'm just trying to weigh up whether or not I'd regret getting one over the other.

    submitted by /u/caetanolevante
    [link] [comments]

    Just realized the awesomeness of search in Photos

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 12:27 AM PDT

    I just realized now during my vacation how amazing the search function in photos is. I was first amazed that it finds all my cat pictures by searching for cat. Then I tried "drink" and it can even distinguish between drinks with and without straws. Then I searched for "Butter" just for fun and it returned a photo of a plate with tartare (raw meat, not sure if common in english language) with a tiny piece of butter at the side. Like...what the fuck. Are there good articles regarding how this works/is implemented?!

    submitted by /u/Chloiber
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 7 audio problem

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 08:11 AM PDT

    I have an iPhone 7 and lately I have had a lot of problems with the audio the phone is about 15 months old. And now the sound has completely cut out and I can no longer hear anything else than notifications and phone calls it's also not letting me change the volume it's completely stuck. Does anyone know how to fix this problem

    submitted by /u/Nuckl3s
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone X multitasking attention to detail

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 07:11 AM PDT

    Most of us know when we swipe horizontally on the home bar, we can switch to an app to different apps one app at a time. I just noticed that even in the multitasking view, swiping in the same area also scrolls apps by one at a time.

    This is different than if you scrolled horizontally on the app thumbnail area where the apps scroll more quickly.

    https://i.imgur.com/QfquFBu.jpg

    submitted by /u/affrox
    [link] [comments]

    How often do lightning to 3.5mm adapters break?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 02:02 AM PDT

    I've hardly ever used the one I got from the box and first time I used it it seemed broken, using all different headphones and devices I have.

    Just wondering how durable these things are before I get another one.

    submitted by /u/Fawwaz28
    [link] [comments]

    Not my color, but insanely jealous of how awesome my wife's gold XS and Disney case looks together.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2018 10:56 AM PDT

    Buying air pods 10/21/2018 or wait for air pod 2??

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 09:12 AM PDT

    Found some old gift cards that will knock a good amount of the price of air pods but I've heard talk of the "air pod 2" What do you guys think buy air pods or wait for the "2"?

    submitted by /u/sw2bh
    [link] [comments]

    Bug in iOS 12 (non beta)

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 09:10 AM PDT

    Here are some comparison pics I took today using iPhone XS and the new Pixel 3 (in case anyone is curious about camera differences)

    Posted: 20 Oct 2018 07:29 PM PDT

    In case you're curious about the camera performance of the Pixel 3 and iPhone XS, here's an album I made of pictures taken with both devices today. Let me know your thoughts on brightness and sharpness differences. Both are amazing devices with great cameras. To see which device is which, click on the (i) icon or swipe up if you're viewing in google photos app:

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vyUTMTUZAdbyZneU6

    Edit: I'll be posting even more comparison pics and videos daily in the next two weeks as well so if you're interested, you can join that album.

    submitted by /u/superjoho
    [link] [comments]

    Lovin my new wall✌��

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 07:42 AM PDT

    iPhone imei update (x-post from ATT)

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 07:08 AM PDT

    I picked up an unlocked iPhone Xs from Best Buy tonight for my wife and ended up just swapping the SIM card out of her 6s into the new Xs. I am wondering how long it takes for our account to "update" and reflect the change. It is currently showing that her phone is still the 6s. Anyone know how long it takes?

    submitted by /u/Notorious1538
    [link] [comments]

    Serious LTE connectivity issues with iPhone XS Max

    Posted: 20 Oct 2018 12:29 PM PDT

    Okay now I'm starting to think I'm one of the people affected by this issue.

    I was out last night with full bars for LTE on Verizon and it appeared as if my data connection was actually just not working. iMessages weren't sending, snapchats weren't loading, webpages weren't loading. Nothing. I tried restarting the phone and resetting networking settings to no avail.

    Obviously this is fucking terrible when you're out and about and drunk, I was lucky I was with friends who had working phones and could navigate us home. But if I was out alone in an unfamiliar place? That could easily turn dangerous/scary if I was unable to navigate or Uber home.

    Today I've been running speedtests throughout the day and I'm lucky to get more than 2-3 mbps download on full bars of Verizon LTE. My previous 7 plus had absolutely no speed or connectivity issues in the same areas I've tested the phones in. There is definitely something wrong.

    I've also been experiencing similar intermittent wifi issues like the ones described here.

    What is the solution at this point? Is this an issue Apple is aware of? Do I need to contact them to get a unit replacement? Because I've seen some posts on here saying that a replacement unit did not fix the issue.

    TL;DR: 256gb Verizon Xs Max has slow as fuck LTE (and often times straight up loses a data connection) for no apparent reason and multiple "network setting" resets have not fixed the issue.

    Edit: also please dont downvote, I'm not trying to bash apple or the Xs max, its a fantastic device (minus this issue) and one of the best purchases I've made in recent memory. This is a pretty significant problem and I just need help figuring out what to do

    submitted by /u/The_Kommunist
    [link] [comments]

    Battery usage of background location services

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 06:41 AM PDT

    As you know, several applications ask for the option to use location services "while using the application" or "always".

    Assuming I am OK with the privacy implications, are there signifiant differences for battery usage? Does it simply piggyback, or does each app periodically trigger a GPS read?

    Has anyone done serious research on it? What does Apple say?

    submitted by /u/nasht00
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel