• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 17, 2018

    Apple Help Verizon claims my iPhone XS Max purchased under the iPhone Upgrade Program is not compatible with their network. Apple tech specs website shows that my model supports CDMA and GSM including all major United States carriers.

    Apple Help Verizon claims my iPhone XS Max purchased under the iPhone Upgrade Program is not compatible with their network. Apple tech specs website shows that my model supports CDMA and GSM including all major United States carriers.


    Verizon claims my iPhone XS Max purchased under the iPhone Upgrade Program is not compatible with their network. Apple tech specs website shows that my model supports CDMA and GSM including all major United States carriers.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 01:31 PM PDT

    TLDR: iPhone XS Max (model A1921) is showing as incompatible on Verizon network based on IMEI check despite tech specs saying it supports CDMA + GSM. Verizon won't give any details. Apple just wants to replace the phone but Apple Store is hours away and are apparently reluctant to do a mail exchange.

    ----

    Multiple hours worth of frustration festering itself as a wall of text incoming:

    I have a launch day iPhone XS Max (Model A1921) that I purchased (read: leased) directly from Apple under the iPhone Upgrade Program. At time of purchase, I was on Sprint so I selected Sprint as my carrier. My iPhone arrived activated on the Sprint network and it was fine. I was already wanting to switch to AT&T, so I went and did that. Everything worked just fine. My phone is now activated on AT&T.

    Turns out, AT&T service seriously sucks in my area despite being covered fantastically on the coverage map. I've run into far more dead zones and dropped calls than ever before. A number of my buddies have Verizon and they all have great service in our area. So, now I am looking to switch to Verizon.

    I thought this would be painless since I bought direct from Apple. Verizon, however, is telling me that my device is not compatible with their CDMA network. This is based on the IMEI lookup. If I run the IMEI lookup on their BYOD website, it tells me the same thing.

    Apple Support has confirmed that Model A1921 of iPhone XS Max absolutely supports Verizon's CDMA network. I can't make any headway with Verizon because they just give me the "phones are manufactured with different antennas. Think of it like AM vs. FM" bullshit. They have no interest in figuring out why my device that is compatible is being listed as incompatible.

    Apple has offered to replace my phone, but I have a few problems with that. Chiefly, I am hours from an Apple Store. Secondly, I would have to make sure that Apple Store has my exact phone. Thirdly, what if this happens again? I plan on moving some time fairly soon and what if I want to change carriers again? The whole point of buying direct from Apple was the freedom to take my phone to any carrier.

    Understanding all this, Apple Support recommended doing a restore from iTunes because that would refresh the phone activation and may clear up any issues on the IMEI or whatever. That didn't work, unfortunately. So, I am fairly stuck. Does anybody here have any idea why this would happen? Any ideas on how I can fix Verizon stating that my device incompatible? Or any ideas on how I can get Verizon to drop the stupid robo-response bullshit and actually give me details?

    I checked Sprint's BYOD site and their IMEI look up shows my phone as being compatible with Sprint's network which is CDMA. I am obviously compatible with GSM because I am activated with AT&T right now. TMobile and Verizon both are showing my phone as being incompatible.

    submitted by /u/nalexander50
    [link] [comments]

    Now that Airport Routers are discontinued, what’s your 2nd choice?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 06:30 PM PDT

    I have an AirPort Extreme base station which works great, and a refurbished AirPort Express which does not. The Express I'm using as a wireless network extender but it's constantly dropping down the poor bandwidth or none altogether. I would have returned it but Amazon's Warehouse doesn't honor any warranty.

    In any case, now I want to replace the Express, but I discovered that Apple no longer makes them. What's the next best brand/router I can get to expand my wireless network without messing with my wireless Time Machine backups?

    submitted by /u/TheStoffer
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to wireless trigger a group of iPads in sync.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 10:48 AM PDT

    I have an exhibit on a guided tour that has an accompanying video (with no audio track) that is loaded onto 5 iPads. These iPads are distributed among the guests and I want to be able to wireless trigger this video so that all iPads start the video in sync. The audio track comes out of an overhead speaker. I currently have 4 exhibits that have this same functionality and am looking to use the same set of iPads for all 4 exhibits. I am currently using LISNR to achieve this but am very unhappy with it's performance. Any thoughts on alternative way to trigger these devices?

    submitted by /u/dbernie41
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro keeps freezing and unable to troubleshoot

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 10:44 PM PDT

    Hi there! My MacBook Pro (late 2013) keeps freezing and I have been unable to troubleshoot the issue. When my MacBook freezes, there is no rainbow pinwheel of doom, it's just a complete lockup. I have accounted for a myriad of factors and variables as to what could be the cause of the freezing, but there is no consistency:

    • It happens regardless of whether or not the laptop is plugged in.

    • It is not the result of overheating. I've made sure to leave the laptop off for extended periods of time before attempting to restart it.

    • I have not installed or updated any software within the past week.

    • I have noticed that it will occur most commonly either right upon reaching the login screen, immediately after logging in, within 2-5 minutes of logging in. Sometimes the laptop will run for up to 45 minutes.

    • There was one instance of this freeze a couple of days ago, but it wasn't a repeating issue until today.

    • No peripherals have been plugged in during the freezing/troubleshooting.

    What I've done to troubleshoot so far:

    • Reset the SMC

    • Reset the PRAM and NVRAM

    • Repair the disk using the first aid utility (no errors were found. Exit code 0)

    • Reinstall OS X; was unable to connect to the recovery server. Macbook is connected to our wifi network without issue in both safe mode and normal mode (before freezing).

    • Boot in safe mode; no freezing during safe mode, just had flickering horizontal white lines that are typical of safe mode.

    • Ran Apple Diagnostics: no errors found. Ref code: ADP00.

    • Boot and login to the guest account: still freezes.

    One thing to note is that there no freezing occurred whatsoever in both safe mode and any of the diagnostic screens before reaching the normal boot login screen. With all of that in mind, I did schedule a Genius Bar appointment for Sunday, but I am hoping to figure it out myself before then. This seems like a software issue to me since it doesn't freeze in safe mode.

    What can I do next to attempt troubleshooting?

    And lastly, sorry for my verb tense being all over the place. It's been a long day...

    submitted by /u/Saroc
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody have any idea what this is about?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 09:19 PM PDT

    Find my freinds, extra device showing up in list, “share your location from:”

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 08:50 PM PDT

    In Find my Friends, the part where it says "share my location from" there is another iPhone listed there, all it's called it "iPhone" and I have renamed my other devices to double check the list. Any way to remove it and should I be worried that someone else can see my location? Thanks heaps 😊😊

    submitted by /u/calebvander
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Color looks like a 3D colour scheme

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 08:31 PM PDT

    I have an Ipad Air 2 which is maybe 3-4 years old and its colour looks altered and has imprints of previously opened apps. I have gone online and almost every site and youtube video tells me to go from tapping it gently to throwing the iPad off my balcony. None of the suggested seemed to help. Forgive me if this has already been answered but I have gotten desperate and thought I would try here. I should mention that for some reason, whenever a youtube video is being watched if I tap on it to say pause the video, it seems to temporarily fix the color issue but only on the part of the screen where the video is playing.

    Model: A1566 (iPad Air 2) Software Version: 11.4.1 Capacity: 128GB

    submitted by /u/IHasBugsOnMyGame
    [link] [comments]

    I got a new SSD and it comes preformated as ExFAT. Should I change it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on my Mac?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 08:29 PM PDT

    Hi! I just got the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD (500 GB) and I'm wondering if it's best to format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2017 with Mojave. I'm still learning about compatibility and how the SSD works on both Mac and Windows, but I want to give it the best use as possible on my Mac. What do you recommend? Should I leave it as is (ExFAT) or should I reformat it? Thanks!

    Here are some screenshots of Disk Utility: https://imgur.com/a/WyWY4nO

    submitted by /u/winenotbeer
    [link] [comments]

    Ipad asks for password after update

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 08:03 PM PDT

    So I recently did an update on my iPad Air, and now it asks for a password to unlock. We have never put a password on it, just left it at slide unlock until apple took that away, then switched to having to press the home button. We tried the password for my wife's phone because that is the itunes account on the iPad, and 1234. I know there is a way to basically format the iPad by force restarting it while hooked up to my computer, however the home button is so worn out it wont register that it is being pressed. It doesn't show up when I plug it into my computer either. Is there any way to unlock it or put it back to factory without the home button or it showing up on a computer. I don't care if the data is erased.

    submitted by /u/dano_bannano
    [link] [comments]

    Iphone 6 purchased at Radioshack - AT&T says they cannot unlock - help?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 07:52 PM PDT

    I originally purchased my iphone 6 from Radioshack. I was trying to go through AT&T to get the phone unlocked so I could send it to my girlfriend in South Korea to use with another sim card. They tell me they cannot unlock the phone because they did not sell it. Any ideas on how to unlock the phone then?

    submitted by /u/redmandoss
    [link] [comments]

    How do I delete files in the iOS Files app that are stored locally on my iOS device without deleting the file from iCloud?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 10:17 AM PDT

    I have a number of folder/files within my Files app on my iPhone. Each file has a little download arrow in the upper right corner. When I touch it, the file downloads. If I long press the downloaded file and select delete, it not only deletes the local file but also the iCloud file. What I'm looking for is the file to be deleted locally and for the iCloud icon to revert back to the icon with the download arrow in the upper right corner.

    What am I doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/01001011010100010010
    [link] [comments]

    phone battery acting weird

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 06:56 PM PDT

    so I've had my iPhone 6s+ about a year and today out of nowhere it started charging really slowly out of nowhere like wouldn't even get to 10% slowly. then it just stopped charging entirely. so i turned my phone off and on again and it started charging again but was charging really slow again then stopped charging again. its charging now but i don't know how to fix it or whats even wrong. it was working fine this morning

    submitted by /u/christianphonesex
    [link] [comments]

    My new iPhone Xs Max has been working fine for the past few weeks but just suddenly has started randomly resetting every 3 minutes and it's really annoying.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 06:54 PM PDT

    I have absolutely no clue what could be causing this. I was about to take a nap about 9 hours ago, played my favorite playlist, and within 1 minute it reset. And now, for the past 9 hours, every 3 to 5 minutes, it reboots, completely interrupting anything I want to do. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

    ive tried doing a soft reset myself, i contacted apple support and they were of no help aside from telling me to go to my nearest apple store, and i cant even try and back it up to my computer to erase everything because itunes keeps getting interrupted due to the phone resetting.

    submitted by /u/RickAstley666
    [link] [comments]

    27" imac gpu dead, help pls

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 06:22 PM PDT

    Hi,

    2011ish imac dead gpu, can boot into command line but not into safe mode, just gets grey screen and hangs there.

    Does anyone know how to force imac to safe boot from cmd? I tried sudo nvram boot-args="x" but either input is off, or the x is supposed to be a drive number or something i dont know.

    submitted by /u/thefluffyavenger
    [link] [comments]

    Obscure question - Best menubar iTunes controller compatible with Mojave?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 05:58 PM PDT

    SkipTunes has bugs with Mojave, and Simplify has issues as well. Is there an alternative that works well with Mojave?

    All I really want is a player that will show me album artwork and a track timeline, and is toggleable on/off with a keyboard shortcut. Something like SkipTunes would be ideal: https://imgur.com/a/FcvKx8P

    Skip Tunes works well, but the timeline no longer works in Mojave (IE no graphical representation of where you are in the track): https://imgur.com/a/MBTdDXi

    I'm using a 2017 15 inch MBP with a BlackMagic eGPU on Mac OS 10.14.

    submitted by /u/revimack
    [link] [comments]

    Adding many powered USB Type A ports to a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 05:44 PM PDT

    This USB / Thunderbolt thing is so confusing I feel like I'm back in the SCSI days (google it young people!)

    Anyway I have a bunch (5-7 range) of peripherals I want to use simultaneously that use ?USB type A and require power. (MIDI controllers) How can I be sure that whatever hub I buy supplies power to all of them efficiently?

    submitted by /u/audiomatt
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t delete files from Trash

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 05:09 PM PDT

    Hi! I updated my Premiere Pro CC and noticed that the old one remained. So I deleted. Now I can't empty the trash because of that file.

    I've tried everything. Option + Delete, empty trash holding Option, going to Terminal and trying rm -rf. Everything.

    The last thing I tried, the rm -rf gave me these messages:

    https://i.imgur.com/NYwatXU.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/H0EU8n8.jpg

    Is there anything I can do? Or will this file remain there until I lose my mind?

    submitted by /u/lucasgribeiro
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to boot my iMac, even after format and fresh OSX install

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 01:19 PM PDT

    Out of the blue my 2009 27" iMac running OSX High Sierra was unable to boot. It got stuck at the booting screen every time (with Apple logo and progress bar) at the exact same position.

    Luckily, I was able to boot it in safe mode and create a final Time Machine backup.

    I've tried several things so far: - disc repair - NVRAM/PRAM reset - OSX reinstall from recovery mode

    This all did not solve anything, the exact same problem remains.

    Finally, today I formatted my HD and did a fresh OSX install. I got to the country selection screen but I looks glitched: only the text box becomes visible when I move my mouse over it, the rest of the screen is gray and/or glitched. See screenshot

    Is my graphics card dying/dead? It seems strange, because in safe mode, everything was displayed correctly except Chrome browser.

    Is it something that's worth repairing or even possible to repair?

    Thanks for any ideas/help!

    submitted by /u/Xa4
    [link] [comments]

    27” iMac (Mid 2011) No power/No diagnostic LEDs

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 04:54 PM PDT

    A friend gave me his iMac because it's a bit older and doesnt work. I used to work on macs awhile back so I figured I would check it out. So far I've tried SMC reset, and pulled the display off so I could see the diagnostic LEDs. I'm getting no lights at all so I assume I need to replace the power supply? Just wanted a second opinion before buying the part. Thanks in advance!

    Edit: Also do you know where to get good parts from?

    submitted by /u/Lemm0ns
    [link] [comments]

    Siri keeps reverting to old voice

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 03:33 PM PDT

    On my iPad, siri keeps reverting to her old voice about once every few months. To fix this, I just go into setting and it re-downloads the new voice, but does anyone know why this is happening in the first place?

    submitted by /u/idklol37
    [link] [comments]

    "Mac OS X Host Not Set"

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 02:34 PM PDT

    After I was trying to updating my Mac from Yosemite to High Sierra it said "Download Failed" and the only option was to hit restart After that it boot I would see the apple logo and bunch text popped up on the top and left side of my screen the one that caught my attention was "Mac OS X Host not set " It would crash and boot again and give the same error

    submitted by /u/HeroLone
    [link] [comments]

    Remote Control for Tech Support of an iPad?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 06:47 AM PDT

    Is there any way to remote control an iPad for a small tech group? BOMGAR is the only thing I can see, and it's a bit unapproachable for a small group.

    We have a small helpdesk that supports field sales people in the field and wanted to screen share when they are having issues.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jkeegan123
    [link] [comments]

    Question about using messenger on the macbook or ipad

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 02:17 PM PDT

    I'm traveling out of town and will only be able to take my macbook or ipad. If I leave my iphone connected to wifi at home several miles away, will I be able to receive the texts on my macbook or ipad messenger?

    submitted by /u/moon4040
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 6 dead and not recognizing lighting cable input

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 01:58 PM PDT

    My iPhone 6 was running 11.4 (I believe) when it suddenly stopped recognizing lighting cables. It would not charge or be seen by iTunes/computer. I tried several cables, power sources, etc. as well as ensuring the port wasn't blocked by lint or anything but it never even started to charge for a second or so like it sometimes does when the charging begins to fail. Due to this and the the instantaneous nature of the issue I concluded it was a software problem preventing the phone from recognizing the cable. Unfortunately I discovered the error when my phone was almost dead (hence the attempt to charge it) so every attempt to perform a hard/soft reset simply caused the phone to die instead of reboot. However, the phone would charge to boot and then immediately stop charging, leaving it at 1% each time. After a while I decided to attempt to update to iOS 12, which for some reason it let me start despite having 1% battery, in attempts to rectify the software error. It actually got decently close to finishing but no surprise, it died in the process. As a result, the phone is now unable to boot at all and will not recognize any input whatsoever to go into DFU mode or hard reset etc.

    My brief interpretation of what occurred: A software error caused my iPhone suddenly stopped recognizing a lighting cable as it was about to die. When it was dead, it would charge to boot, but then presumably the error would return since the phone was on. The phone then died during an update attempt which probably lead to a boot error rendering the phone completely unresponsive now

    It does not appear that there is anything left for me to do, but I would appreciate it if anyone can see a solution or attempt at a solution. Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/Wokrus
    [link] [comments]

    My macbook pro mid 2014 say that I should change battery soon, is that what is making it slower lately?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 10:12 AM PDT

    My macbook pro mid 2014 say that I should change battery soon, is that what is making it slower lately? Will it get back to normal if I replace it with a new battery? I do mostly music production on the computer and browsing the internet. The last 6 months I believe it has become slower, a bit laggy when doing certain gestures and browsing the web. I have done most things to speed it up that google searches advise me to do, but not had much success with it. Is it the battery or is it only getting old?

    submitted by /u/lollboll1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel