• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 14, 2018

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 13]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 13]


    Daily Tech Support Thread [October 13]

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 08:11 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    AirPods webpage still includes references to AirPower and the wireless charging case...��

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 01:18 PM PDT

    Upcoming 2018 iPad Pro Could Be 5.9mm Thick With No Headphone Jack

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 09:43 AM PDT

    Anyone preordering the XR next week? If so, what color?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 03:49 PM PDT

    Police told to avoid looking at recent iPhones to avoid lockouts

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 10:17 PM PDT

    Credit to Apple for the number of ISS Apple TV screensavers.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 04:50 AM PDT

    I've lost track of the number of times I've looked up and thought "Oh, that's a new one". I decided to post this after noticing one with a thunderstorm going on.

    submitted by /u/PmMeUrBestCoffeeShop
    [link] [comments]

    Apple employee spotted walking streets wearing giant backpack with sensors

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 04:22 AM PDT

    Idle Thought: Apple makes more money selling peace of mind than Google does selling access to your information

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 01:25 PM PDT

    I know they don't directly sell your information but rather sort of middleman instead, it's still interesting though.

    submitted by /u/TomLube
    [link] [comments]

    For those of you with MacBooks that have USB-C, what are your must have dongles/hubs?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 07:13 PM PDT

    Apple sends you an email when Activation Lock requests your Apple ID on a locked device

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 03:06 PM PDT

    Title probably didn't do a good job explaining.

    I restored my old iPhone today to jailbreak it on iOS 11. When it finished restoring, it asked me for my Apple ID password as it always does when I restore it with iTunes.

    What I didn't expect though, is Apple sending me an email informing me that Activation Lock on the iPhone 7+ was asking for my Apple ID.

    I guess this is useful as it tells you (although not explicitly) that your data, including Apple Pay was deleted because the phone was restored.

    submitted by /u/exjr_
    [link] [comments]

    Missing out on iMessages?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 11:27 AM PDT

    I have a group chat with a few friends and it's been quiet for a little while. Didn't think much of it.

    Logged into my Mac today for the first time in about a week and loads of messages in the group came through on there.

    I've checked all settings and have iCloud backup enabled, so why is my phone not receiving messages?

    Also now I've sent a message to the group from my phone and it's not appearing on the mac.

    Any ideas? I've not changed any settings

    submitted by /u/robwills88
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else feel like IOS 12.0.1 improved audio quality or Apple Music has better quality?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 05:19 PM PDT

    I did my update on my iPhone X to 12.0.1 from 12.0 and noticed in my car and on my AirPods that the sound is higher quality! Anyone else?

    submitted by /u/saifman95
    [link] [comments]

    Why can’t I control what’s playing on my iPad with my iPhone/Watch?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 01:02 PM PDT

    Seriously, if I'm using my iPad to play music, why can't I use my other Apple devices to change songs or the volume?

    submitted by /u/nerhe
    [link] [comments]

    Would the 2019 or 2020 Models of iPhone be likely to have “Significant” Design changes again since this years new models were mostly just a product refresh of last years X? Like Notch removal or something even more futuristic.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 03:15 PM PDT

    A quick question about slow-mo video shot on iPhones (not really a tech support question)

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 09:45 PM PDT

    I've noticed something interesting / odd with the slow-motion video (1080p @ 240fps) I'm shooting on my iPhone Xs Max: it seems to 'shimmer' into / out of focus ever ~half second or so. I remember noticing this on my old iPhone 7 Plus, but as I rarely shoot slow-mo video, it wasn't something I dug into.

    Anyway, is this a common thing with slow-motion video shot on iPhones? Is there a way to reduce / eliminate it, or is it just a consequence of how these devices work their magic?

    submitted by /u/wowbobwow
    [link] [comments]

    Could an iPad Pro with USB-C potentially allow to function as a professional cintiq replacement?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 09:30 PM PDT

    The current options we have are apps such as Astropad which is incredible but still with a noticeable latency, and windows alternatives are stuck with duet display.. especially trying to work with 3D modelling and sculpting programs.

    Could USB-C allow faster data transfer for seamless workflow and screen mirroring? Or am I mistaken on how USB-C works haha

    A native function like the Luna display or Astropad by Apple would be great to see!

    submitted by /u/jo-young
    [link] [comments]

    I've used android since 2012. I switched over to iOS yesterday. Here are my thoughts.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 02:02 AM PDT

    So, as the title says, I've been an android user since the Nexus 4 days. Before that, I had an iPhone 4 but that was in the iOS 4-6 days. My old phone was on its last legs and I picked up an iPhone 7 for the equivalent of $430 (along with a free screen protector, a free screen replacement and a case for half off).

    What I like (so far) :

    iOS is as buttery smooth as I remember it being. Despite being a 2 year old phone, the 7 flies on iOS 12.

    Haptics : holy shit, apple does haptics so well. It feels like iOS is alive with all the little bumps and taps. Also, I love 3D Touch! I'm sad to see that the XR is dropping this. I find myself randomly 3D touching icons!

    Stereo speakers : They may not be the loudest pair of speakers in the world but they're an upgrade from my old phone.

    Integration with MacOS : I switched back to MacOS a few years ago (partly why I bought an iPhone) and I'm liking handoff.

    That being said, it's not perfect. Here are some of the niggles I've found :

    Notifications : They're definitely better on android in my opinion. The most annoying thing, however, is muscle memory. I'm used to swiping right to dismiss a notification. This opens the app on iOS!

    Front facing camera : I do a fair bit of video calling and I kind of miss the wide angled camera on my old S7 - it was able to get everyone in frame a lot better.

    Default apps : Is there something I'm missing? Is it still not possible to change the default maps application? Google maps works way better in my country.

    Notification LED : Yeah, I miss this as well. Oh well.

    So far, I'm pretty happy with the switch. My whole family uses iOS so it made sense to switch over for my next phone and it's nice to see how far iOS has come! I do have 2 questions that I'd appreciate being answered -

    What's your reddit app of choice? I used to use Reddit is fun GP but it's android only. I abhor the official app.

    How do you back up SHSH blobs? Are they still a thing? I remember for my old 4, I had the blobs for every version of iOS from 5 onwards to upgrade/downgrade at will. Is that still a thing with newer iPhones?

    If you've made it to the bottom of this wall of text, thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/_0110111001101111_
    [link] [comments]

    From a developer/software engineer point-of-view, what are the technical difficulties in making FaceID work in landscape mode?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 08:44 AM PDT

    With the upcoming iPad Pro, I am just curious whether FaceID can be made to work in landscape mode on iPhones too.

    submitted by /u/sudhu28
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone local storage iCloud Drive?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 01:05 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Have been using google to find a solution but nothing worth found...

    Settings->iPhone storage shows around 1 gig used by iCloud Drive? I figured it is almost the same size as the WhatsApp backup. Also I don't understand why this cloud product needs local storage...

    The interesting thing is, WhatsApp uses on the phone only 300mb.

    I tried some things • deactivate iCloud Drive in iCloud settings • delete WhatsApp backup in iCloud Drive • delete all apps using storage in files app. Also I deleted the files app • Reboot iPhone after each step

    Someone has a solution on this?

    Edit: picture

    submitted by /u/TeaL0w
    [link] [comments]

    How do "Data Managers" work in iOS?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 04:10 PM PDT

    A recent update to my data manager of choice made it mandatory to sign up to their VPN services, which for me is a big no-no. So I've been browsing the App Store for a new app and came to the realization that I don't know how these apps work. Since iOS doesn't allow them to run in the background all day and since they don't impact battery life, how do these apps work? Any insight is really appreciated

    submitted by /u/CuleroConnor
    [link] [comments]

    [Discussion] why do you use a case?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 12:26 AM PDT

    I've never been one for a case on my iPhone, just wondering why others use a case. Is it protection or just a design choice. https://imgur.com/a/7UNH1DW

    submitted by /u/james1324
    [link] [comments]

    Stage Management Apps

    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 12:21 AM PDT

    I'm trying to find apps/software for MacOS that allow you to control the audio & visuals on an external display, something that's used for the LED panels on a stage (like in a concert or an event for example)

    submitted by /u/shayan1232001
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel