• Breaking News

    Monday, April 12, 2021

    macOS Why is windowserver using 42gb of memory? (M1 Air)

    macOS Why is windowserver using 42gb of memory? (M1 Air)


    Why is windowserver using 42gb of memory? (M1 Air)

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 08:49 PM PDT

    Why is windowserver using 42gb of memory? (M1 Air)

    https://preview.redd.it/7ympnsrtzns61.png?width=878&format=png&auto=webp&s=dfd9fc7eb636f4b1202562099b0789d444c8503c

    Is this normal? Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

    Also if it is useful, I have recently been often getting the popup "your system has run out of application memory"

    Thanks in advanced.

    submitted by /u/nxtmonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Open mail links in Safari: does anyone else need that?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 08:29 AM PDT

    Is there a program that will allow me an audible notification to let me know when the internet cuts off? Or is there a program that makes a sound when internet cuts off, like a dying gasp?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 09:23 PM PDT

    Separate spaces, separate application windows. How?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 12:58 AM PDT

    Separate spaces, separate application windows. How?

    Hey Everyone, hope Monday's treating you well. A quick question:

    I like using spaces on my Mac because it allows me to group application windows together according to what I'm doing, and during a typical day I'll have several spaces set up, for example:

    1. Communication: Mail, iMessage, Skype, Find My, and Notes
    2. Development: Safari (1 window on localhost, another for phpMyAdmin, a third for reference), Coda (editor / IDE), Console, Terminal, FTP client, etc

    When I'm in space #1 and I click on a link in an email, MacOS switches to space #2 because that's where Safari has an open window. This irritates me more than it should, and I want Safari to either open a new tab in an existing window in space #1, or, if there isn't one, to open a new window in space #1. Because that's where I clicked the email. Not in space #2.

    I accept that to many people this may seem unnecessary and maybe even a bit OCD, but hey, it's how I like to use spaces so it makes sense to me.

    Looking at the System Preferences page for Mission Control you'd have thought that un-checking the second box would give me exactly what I've described above, but it doesn't.

    Any ideas?

    https://preview.redd.it/f0d7lna18ps61.png?width=1336&format=png&auto=webp&s=e172a9920cf0a947e424da051ea867c46298308b

    submitted by /u/muppix
    [link] [comments]

    Why does macOS's stacks stack weirdly

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:21 AM PDT

    some screenshots go to the screenshots stack, but some also go to the images stack. what is the meaning is there a setting or something?

    submitted by /u/techguywhouhate
    [link] [comments]

    Why does stacks on desktop sort weirdly?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:20 AM PDT

    some screenshots go to the screenshots stack, but some also go to the images stack. what is the meaning is there a setting or something?

    submitted by /u/techguywhouhate
    [link] [comments]

    Possible to move these icons to middle of the screen, instead of the right section of the monitor?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 12:58 AM PDT

    Is it true

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 08:44 PM PDT

    I read that you must leave your computer on for several days( i have an iMac) that turn it off every day is bad for the system?

    submitted by /u/edg5
    [link] [comments]

    Is it usable to boot OSX from an external drive and install Linux on main drive?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    I want to install Linux, but need and want to keep OSX. I thought it would be smart to throw OSX off my machine and install it on my external SSD and have the whole internal disk free for Linux. That means that I later also have the option to just ditch OSX and have the whole disk for Linux. Is that doable? What about the Recovery partition? Can I easily boot Macos? :)

    submitted by /u/MacHamburg
    [link] [comments]

    Trackpad randomly freezes on Mojave on 2019 Macbook pro 15"

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 07:55 PM PDT

    Not sure why, but recently my trackpad randomly freezes every 10 seconds.

    I am using a 2019 15" MacBook pro and I'm on Mojave.

    Should I upgrade to Big Sur? Or?

    submitted by /u/YourDailyConsumer
    [link] [comments]

    I just deleted my Mac using Command + F help!

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 10:13 PM PDT

    I was selling my Laptop to buy a new one but....I forgot to log out of my account before going into Command + F I made sure it wasn't gonna ask for my ID and it didn't. It asked me to input a new itunes account. Should I worry about anything or did everything erased when doing the Command F method of deleting the hard drive.

    submitted by /u/risepure
    [link] [comments]

    Menu bar question

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 09:40 PM PDT

    I just got a new monitor that supports HDR for my M1 Mac mini. I have found that some things look great with HDR on and some look great with HDR off. Is there a quick way to add a shortcut button to my menu bar to turn HDR on and off so I don't have to keep going to the display settings to do it?

    submitted by /u/twiggs_8
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook problem full screen App TV

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 08:54 PM PDT

    I have a problem with fullscreen in App TV on macbook air 2017 big sur use App TV.

    Temp color change in fullscreen when toolbar options appear. blue tint to calid tint instantly.

    See video the problem

    https://youtu.be/1vw1LzHYKGA

    What's this?

    submitted by /u/ciclehdfa
    [link] [comments]

    What could cause my Mac (2017 15" MBP, Big Sur) to suddenly delete all of its Network Interfaces, but they all come back after a restart?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 08:01 PM PDT

    Very puzzling issue over the last month or so.... something is triggering the complete deletion/inactivation of all my Network Interfaces - and I just can't seem to figure out what it is. This is subsequently followed by essentially an OS Freeze (rainbow-wheels on essentially all apps), and the only way to fix is to hard restart the computer (by physically holding the power button).

    Computer works as normal upon restart.

    Seems like this issue happens more when the network is in high demand (ie. big downloads, encoding on Plex etc), but otherwise the computer runs relatively stable.

    Any thoughts?

    Software list:

    • LittleSnitch
    • Private Internet Access
    • MalwareBytes
    • Various Cloud portals (OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, MEGA)
    • Plex Media Server
    • qBitTorrent / Transmission

    Was essentially stable prior to about a month ago, but can't really figure out what might have triggered the change.

    submitted by /u/eggplantsplz
    [link] [comments]

    M1 Macbook Air shuts down at 40%

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 04:10 AM PDT

    So I recently bought the M1 Air, like 4 days ago, and so far so good except for this issue. Whenever it reaches around 40-50%, it just immediately shuts down. I read somewhere that I should reset the SMC but I also read that there is no SMC in M1. What should I do to fix this issue?

    submitted by /u/shameronwhore
    [link] [comments]

    suggestd is one of the culprit that writes regularly to ssd, contributing a potential wear of the internal storage

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 11:07 AM PDT

    Note: for community that is using soldered internal storage and worried about weat/tear of internal storage.
    After observing lsof and disk data from Activity monitor (to correlate lsof), suggestd goes amok in writes to the disk (reindexing commit). Turning off spotlight via mdutil brought down the writes to disk drastically (from 1.3TB to 7G).

    submitted by /u/dannlee
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro not allowing external monitor go above 60 Hertz

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 07:33 PM PDT

    Hi there. I have a MacBook Pro and right now I use a j5create adapter to plug an HDMI cord into an ASUS VG248QG monitor. The monitor supports HDMI 1.4, which supports 120 Hz, but when I go into the display settings, it only lets me select 50 or 60. It has let me choose 120 before with the same hardware, but I was wondering if anyone has a permanent fix. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/xtcloser
    [link] [comments]

    M1 Macbook Air crashes when using Safari

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 10:34 AM PDT

    My M1 Macbook Air crashes when using Safari. It doesn't happen every day, but at least a couple times a week.

    Sometimes Safari crashes and I'm able to reopen with all tabs intact, sometimes my Macbook crashes and reboots. As for extensions, I'm using AdGuard and Bitwarden.

    Does this happen to anyone else and do you have a suggestion on what to do?

    submitted by /u/ItsTotallyCromulent
    [link] [comments]

    Mac OS 11.2.3 Bugs (Ambient Sensor/True Tone/Night Shift)

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 07:14 PM PDT

    IS anyone else having issues with their ambient sensor/these 2 features working correctly?

    submitted by /u/rileyweis
    [link] [comments]

    How can I change background image from command line ?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 06:41 PM PDT

    I have a PNG image, how can I use the image for the background for a given Desktop on my mac or external monitor ?

    submitted by /u/resolvconf
    [link] [comments]

    Insane CPU spike after waking up

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 02:21 PM PDT

    I have a 2015 MBP connected to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and an audio interface. I leave it in sleep for a while and when I wake it up it pops up a "kernel task" in the activity monitor that uses like 600% of my CPU. The fans kick in at 100% and the machine is unusable for a solid 5 minutes until it slowly fades back into reality.

    I'm running High Sierra and I can't update it right now because of software compatibility reasons.

    Also, when it's sleeping it constantly turns on the lights on my keyboard and spins the HDs connected to it all the time which is super annoying.
    Anyone had these issues?

    submitted by /u/dolmane
    [link] [comments]

    Apps from the web

    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 05:42 PM PDT

    Knowing that macOS checks the Developer ID signature, and also -after Catalina- Apple requires software to be notarized, do you still manually check authenticity/integrity (GPG/SHASUM) of the apps you download from the web? Or is this move pointless?

    submitted by /u/north_st-hot-weather
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel