• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 3, 2019

    macOS Im sorry I just think this is cool

    macOS Im sorry I just think this is cool


    Im sorry I just think this is cool

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 09:23 AM PST

    How secure is encrypting a folder with AES on macos vs other alternatives (Veracrypt etc)

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 08:37 PM PST

    Hi, im have some encrypted folders on USB backup drives (created using disk utility encrypted DMG image - AES 256)

    Just wondering how secure using Apple built file based encryption is or whether i should be using another alternative such as veracrpt.

    I understand its only compatible with macos, and im fine with that, its more around how secure this actually is for important infromation on USB backup drive for example.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/mailboxdavidb
    [link] [comments]

    It's 2020 and I can't turn off software update notifications?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 11:11 PM PST

    Ok I understand its not 2020 yet but do you think this will be fixed by then... nope. We old personal computer users have seen operating systems come and go, and some stay and evolve over time. The macOS has certainly come a long way, so advanced now and designed in concert with its' handheld cousins. But why can't you turn off software update notifications? Such a simple option to add to keep an annoying prompt from bothering you every boot up. Strangely ironic of a 21st century operating system. And it's the macOS, it's like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. Is it the end of the world? No. Can I still use my mac? Yes. It just doesn't make any sense... it's 2020!

    submitted by /u/cpuspeed
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any legit streaming aggregator apps for mac?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 08:50 PM PST

    I'm thinking along the lines of how smart tv's nowadays allow you to sign into your different streaming services and have access to all their content from one place. Like how you can download different "apps" for your different subscriptions on the Apple TV and access their content.

    I'm wondering if there's any apps like that available for the mac. Some type of desktop app where I can sign into my Netflix, HBO Now, Hulu, Disney+, etc. subscriptions all from one application and access all the content from that single app rather than going to each and every different service's website individually and having to sign into each on each time I want to access it.

    submitted by /u/-af10-
    [link] [comments]

    [Need help] I need some screenshots of macOS Catalina

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 06:55 PM PST

    Hi, could someone please show me some screenshots of the window control buttons (Close/Min/Max) when:

    - Hovering on the buttons of a maximized window

    - Hovering on the buttons of a unmaximized window

    TIA <3

    submitted by /u/trmdi
    [link] [comments]

    After a week of using Firefox coming from a Safari user

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 05:03 AM PST

    So just an update as I was torn between buying an ad-blocker with Safari and switching to Firefox ever since the stupid Safari 13 update. What hung me up was that I liked Safari's integratibility between iDevices and it's lightweight as Im very minimalistic so safari really hit on that point.

    After a week of comparison, here is what Ive found:

    Battery: I've noticed that firefox definitely burns through more battery ~5% difference between Safari and FF and thats which surfing the web and watching netflix/youtube.

    Integration, FF does a decent job. I personally like how Safari auto-populates my stuff faster on websites even switching from one device to another and the user interface IMO is better on safari

    Speed: FF > Safari without a doubt. FF loads faster than safari on most sites. Ironically not on reddit maybe because I have RES installed on FF which is not supported on Safari? Just a guess.

    Ad-block: FF has uBlock Origin support nuff said

    Verdict: I will be keeping FF as my daily driver. Why? Just because the ad-block and while not as good integration with other iDevices, it still provides at least the most basic integration that satisfies my needs.

    Thanks for reading. If you have questions/comments post below and I will try to answer/test out.

    submitted by /u/Ehwic
    [link] [comments]

    Filesharing. No password required?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 11:26 PM PST

    I believe I recall a time when you turned on sharing (file sharing to be more precise) and you could be on the same network with another mac, and connect to the mac with the file sharing on, and it would ask for the password for the login of that mac. Is there any way to make this happen again? I dont want anyone on my network to just be able to connect to my computer and mess around with my files. I want them to have to put in the administrators password

    Im on the latest MacOS Catalina

    submitted by /u/AllAboutGadgets
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone had issues with a MacBook Pro cursor and randomly got this screen? I’m not sure what to do from here!

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 04:58 PM PST

    Question about iMessage from a potential buyer

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 08:10 PM PST

    If I receive a text when actively using my MacBook is there a way to still get the notification sound on my iPhone? Or does it turn off because I'm active on my MacBook? I can't find the answer anywhere. I want it to either chime on both Mac and iPhone or just the iPhone. Both preferred I guess

    Same question for calendar and every other app that produces notifications on both devices

    submitted by /u/sq_lp
    [link] [comments]

    How to test battery drain on 2015 MBP

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 04:36 PM PST

    Hey everyone. I've got an early 2015 13-in Macbook Retina Pro. Recently upgraded the SSD, replaced the battery, and upgraded to Catalina. One of my issues now is there's massive battery drain. I'll charge my laptop to 100% and after about 8 hours overnight it'll drain down to about 65%. I've tried uninstalling apps, force closing apps, I've turned off wifi and bluetooth and I've optimized my power settings. Still having this terrible battery drain and can't figure out what's causing it. This only happens when the computer is sleeping. When I shut it down completely there is no issue with battery drain at all, which makes me think it's software related. Probably some process running in the background I'm not aware of. Is there any software I can install to see/monitor what's causing this drain? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jan_Itor_DO
    [link] [comments]

    64-bit app that can automate mp3 tagging/file renaming?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 04:30 PM PST

    I was using MediaRage but that no longer works in Catalina.

    submitted by /u/PerfectAstronaut
    [link] [comments]

    Malwarebytes, ESET or something else

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 06:26 PM PST

    Which one should I purchase before they get back to their normal price? Malwarebytes, ESET, BitDefender or something else?

    I used ESET a long time ago on PCs, and my school use it on all of their lecterns, so I guess it's pretty good on PC at least. I used Malwarebytes Free occasionally in the past when I'm paranoid about something, but never keep it installed for long, so never bothered to get a license. And I have never tried BitDefender before, but a lot of review sites put this at their top recommendation.

    submitted by /u/6gfd6
    [link] [comments]

    How to "show file in finder" in new catalina podcast app?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 06:41 PM PST

    I used to be able to go into the itunes app, download an episode of a podcast I'm subscribed to, and right click to get the "show file in finder option". It would take me to that episode's file location on my computer, and from there, I could click on the file and open it with another application (like VLC). I can't find an option to "show file in finder" anywhere on the new "podcast" app. Right clicking on the downloaded episode doesn't give me that option or anything similar.

    submitted by /u/anonymice3
    [link] [comments]

    Question for macOS terminal users

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 07:07 AM PST

    Hi r/macOS,

    Tl;dr: Trying to understand the usage of terminal utilities among macOS users to take a call on whether I should continue supporting macOS for a few utilities I author.

    I am the author of some terminal utilities like nnn (file manager), googler (google from the terminal), Buku (browser-independent bookmark manager) (GitHub profile). They are reasonably popular among the *nix community. All of them are available on Homebrew and I and the team take great care to support macOS. However, I rarely come across defect reports, feedback, feature requests etc. from macOS users.

    This post is an attempt to understand the usage of terminal utilities among macOS users, especially those available via Homebrew. I know traditionally macOS users prefer GUIs and there are excellent options. So I'm trying to understand if we really need to spend time and effort to continue supporting the platform. If not, we can ignore macOS-specific handling going forward. The support so far would be retained.

    Many thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/sablal
    [link] [comments]

    This is the first time I have this banner on macOS. Just installed the catalyst Twitter app.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 03:27 PM PST

    My macOs account was reset; is there anyway to fix?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 02:23 PM PST

    I attempted to change my account name. I created an Administrator account to change it, but when I logged back into the account it was completely reset. Is there anyway to undo this?

    submitted by /u/msu_mdriskill
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina Destroyed my MacBook Pro

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 05:25 PM PST

    I updated a 13" MacBook Pro Early 2015 (A1502) laptop to Catalina last week and within a days it was stuck in a boot loop. I've sent it to Rossmann Repair Group and they've confirmed that the Catalina update broke the logic board BIOS. It will need to be replaced.

    Is there anything I can do to try to get Apple to foot the bill for this? Many others seem to running into this planned obsolescence.

    submitted by /u/thatlurkguy
    [link] [comments]

    Mount table

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 01:07 PM PST

    My goal is to cleanly reinstall Catalina keeping my home directory intact.

    I found that it's easy to make a clean install if you use APFS. You add a volume and install Catalina there. Now you have two volumes you can boot from: one — your old one, and two — your pristine Catalina.

    However, Installer adds a Data volume. It's the one that is mounted when you boot from a corresponding OS volume and contains user home directories and their data.

    Question is where does macOS keep association between OS and Data volumes? Can I change it? And how hard would that be?

    I assume there's a file somewhere that contains this information. Similar to /etc/fstab on Linux. MacOS has it too but the comment says the file does nothing and is empty otherwise anyway.

    submitted by /u/chebatron
    [link] [comments]

    Pages document "could not be opened"

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 12:47 PM PST

    Updated to Catalina 10.15.1 from Mojave recently. A little early, I know, but I was intrigued and don't mind a few bugs while I wait for the next update. Today, however, I found that none of my Pages documents (.pages) could be opened with the newly-updated Pages 8.2.1. Document text is still visible via Quick Look, but not being able to open and edit is currently crushing my Monday productivity. Has anyone else experienced this amongst the many faults of Catalina? Any way around or is it time to bust out my typewriter?

    submitted by /u/sinduced
    [link] [comments]

    Locate the origin of a strange file

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 05:29 AM PST

    Is there a way to track the application which created and modified a strange file on my Mac?

    submitted by /u/debgul
    [link] [comments]

    Need help

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 11:09 AM PST

    Hello, fellow Redditors.

    Is there any way to disable transparency in some particular apps, because I have pretty annoying lags in safari with transparency on, but I don't want to make the whole OS opaque because of that.

    Thanks for helping.

    submitted by /u/ralfun11
    [link] [comments]

    Having issues upgrading to Catalina from Mojave..

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 10:47 AM PST

    I have never come across this weird behaviour, but today I must have tried and failed to upgrade ten times or so.. I was downloading Catalina through the "Software Update" section through settings. Every time I click download, it gets the 8GB image and shows the "upgrade" button. When I click on it though, it just begins redownloading the whole thing again. I kept an eye on the Applications folder and it never creates the "Install macOS Catalina.app" inside of it. Whats even worse is that whenever I use a third party downloader which gets that same App file/package, each time i double click it, it just disappears. What the hell is going on? Has anyone ever experienced this behaviour?

    submitted by /u/PM5k
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel