• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 30, 2019

    macOS What is the name of the X Windows system?

    macOS What is the name of the X Windows system?


    What is the name of the X Windows system?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 09:33 PM PST

    In terms of, i.e. Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc. Have Apple released this information?

    Presumably, no (based on my Google-fu), as I suspect it's closed-sourced nature it is difficult to surmise.

    submitted by /u/Username1224567
    [link] [comments]

    2011 macbook air refuses to load internet websites after a while. What could it be?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 08:26 PM PST

    Long story short my old mac air works fine most of the time, but after some use it refuses to load websites after all as if it wasn't connected to the internet for no reason.

    No browser works, but all my other devices can use the internet just fine so it isn't my network

    I thought it was a memory issue as it happens the most if I use a program like sketchbook pro to doodle. But even using "sudo purge" to clear the ram doesn't fix it. In fact only restarting my mac seems to fix the issue.

    I'm planing on upgrading soon...so it isn't something that bad, but I'm curious if this is a known issue.

    submitted by /u/TalentlessArtist
    [link] [comments]

    HELP

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 07:18 PM PST

    Do i need to update to catalina for nordvpn to work? I can't seem to establish connection to any server. Current version of my Macbook 2019 : 10.14.6. I am illiterate when it comes to things like this and its my first time using macOS. Tried installing nordvpn directly from the website as well but its still not working and even disabled keychain access because it was acting up. I really don't know how to work my way around it. It's actually traumatizing.

    submitted by /u/Rit-ualize
    [link] [comments]

    Select text in Quick Look on Catalina?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 10:27 PM PST

    Is this possible?

    Also, is there any (standard) replacement for the old "defaults write" system of settings?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/elvisofdallasDOTcom
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to make desktop icons and finder open before menubar apps?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 09:27 PM PST

    I've noticed that when you start up your mac and log in, it loads all of the menubar apps before it loads desktop icons. I reckon it'd be cool if this was the opposite as it would make the computer feel a lot faster on startup. Does anyone know if there's a way to do this?

    (running macOS Catalina on a MacBook pro 2016 13")

    submitted by /u/odoug04
    [link] [comments]

    Send Safari Tab/Link to Firefox or Chrome

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:37 AM PST

    Does anyone know if there is an extension or service or share thing that enables me to key a function to send an open tab/link from Safari to Firefox or Chrome? That would be very useful. I've looked and I can't find anything out there at all.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or info.

    submitted by /u/TyrionBean
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS not turning on

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:24 AM PST

    I was on my Mac (which was working perfectly) and then shut it down when I tried to turn it on all there is, is just the apple logo flashing and 🚫 flashing one after the other in the middle of the screen (Applesymboll, 🚫, Apple symbol, etc)

    submitted by /u/thefricknuggets
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot recover macbook pro 2012

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 10:37 PM PST

    So I have a new hard drive because the original was damaged. I have to use online recovery by holding command and R. Since its a 2012, it comes with Lion and that's what the internet recovery loads. The recovery base works fine and was able to format the HD and get it ready for OSX installation, but every time i intall, gives me errors about "chunk validation failed to download package"

    I had internet connection, i can get into safari and load a webpage within the recovery partition, tried 4 different wifi spots including my cell ata, so it can't be the internet.

    Is lion no longer available? I am pondering how to recover now, but to do that I would need a mac machine to download other osxes installers

    submitted by /u/Fishcake21
    [link] [comments]

    Migrating from one Mac to another

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 05:38 PM PST

    My wife got a good deal on a 16" MB Pro and when it arrives, I plan to take over her old, mid-2012 Retina MB Pro with a 15" screen, and give my 2013, MB Pro with a 13" screen to my daughter.

    I know. My MB Pro is a year newer than my wife's MB Pro, but I lust after that huge 15" Retina display.

    My MB Pro has an SSD too small to contain all the data on my main computer, a 27" 2015 iMac, and so I don't bother to back up that MB Pro.

    Both these computers are running the latest iteration of Mojave.

    Question is: what is the series of steps I should go through in order to move the data from my MB Pro to my wife's MB Pro once I get that computer from her?

    Research indicates that before I take over her MB Pro, she should:

    Sign out of iTunes

    Sign out of iCloud

    Sign out of iMessage

    Unpair any Bluetooth devices

    To avoid all the User Account perils, would it be best to boot into recovery mode, erase the HD, then reinstall Mojave then migrate the data from my old MB Pro using WiFi? I can't use Catalina because it prevents me from using the projector I use to teach my Seniors' iPhone class.

    Or, are there better ways to accomplish this?

    Many thanks,

    submitted by /u/seeker1938
    [link] [comments]

    brief static screen flash ?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 10:12 PM PST

    so I've noticed that my 2018 MacBook Pro occasionally flashes the screen with static, my 2016 model did the same thing and I'm guessing this is all software related since I remember it being worst with high Sierra, anyone else having the same issues on their Macs ? I'm currently running the last version of Mojave

    submitted by /u/computernerd2057
    [link] [comments]

    AFP/SMB, or something else?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 02:11 PM PST

    I read somewhere that apple has kind of ditched AFP, but that AFP is still preferable to SMB.
    I have a file-server running AFP today, is there any new protocol or file-sharing-thng that is wiser/better to use today? Either for future proofing or performance?

    submitted by /u/Monsaki
    [link] [comments]

    Can I connect two monitors to a single MacBookPro?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 10:17 PM PST

    2013 MBP. Have one HDMI port. Can I just connect an adapter and use two monitors?

    submitted by /u/LiftBodyUpThenDown
    [link] [comments]

    Apple is Appalling

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 09:44 PM PST

    I downloaded Catalina update twice already and got the same error saying that it couldn't verify the update. I lost 16gb for nothing, so should i try to update it once more or stay with Mojave?

    submitted by /u/Rit-ualize
    [link] [comments]

    PDFs render with glitches in Preview

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 03:58 PM PST

    PDFs render with glitches in Preview

    This section of a pdf seems to render wrongly. The background is partially covering parts of the text when the scale mode is set to "Actual Size" in the Preview App. Viewing the PDF in Chrome or in a different scale doesn't produce any glitches.

    What can I do to solve this problem?

    the lower parts of the line in the middle is cut off

    everything is fine on Chrome or other scale settings

    I'm running on macOS Catalina 10.15.1 (latest at the time).

    submitted by /u/douira
    [link] [comments]

    [New Release] Vectornator Pro - A Free Graphic Design tool for Mac

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 03:57 AM PST

    How to stop onedrive auto start after login?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 01:45 PM PST

    How to stop onedrive auto start after login?

    On our home Mac, my account is admin and wife's account is standard user. I use onedrive but not my wife. However every time she logs in, onedrive shows up asking to login...Running latest public MacOS.

    Onedrive has been removed from the user login items but it somehow got added back after login...Anyway to get rid of this annoying behaviour?

    https://preview.redd.it/fpyjwu2z3p141.png?width=2376&format=png&auto=webp&s=96a352d68e1e6012a5fb9b5c235e3861d0d03395

    submitted by /u/m1xed0s
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Mail – export mailbox not completing.

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 01:06 PM PST

    Before I take the plunge into Catalina (and frankly it's been too long anyhow) I want to archive a few of my mailboxes and get them off the server. These messages/mailboxes all reside on iCloud.

    I follow the procedure I know to be correct: Mailbox > Export Mailbox... and save locally – but it looks like Mail isn't grabbing everything. For example, one mailbox is 1.4GB, but the .mbox is only 17MB. I see no indication of a progressive download; activity menu in Mail shows no progress and the file isn't growing in size, even though .partial is currently appended to the .mbox file.

    Any ideas or tips? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AuthorUnknown033
    [link] [comments]

    2011 MBP, upgrading from El Capitan to which next?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 01:03 PM PST

    Hi,

    I am running macos El Capitan 10.11.6 on an early 2011 MBP with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. I am planning on upgrading to a higher version just because newer versions of some software (VST plugins) I want to upgrade to no longer support El Capitan, only higher than it.

    So my question is which version should I upgrade to? I would like to move just a bit higher than El Capitan, because I am afraid the newest versions will consume much more resources from my poor MBP. Is Sierra a good option, not so buggy? How about High Sierra?

    Any advices?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/zenluiz
    [link] [comments]

    apps/sites that gives a good experience just like simplenote? how is it comparable to simplenote?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 04:43 PM PST

    apps/sites that gives a good experience just like simplenote? how exactly is like simplenote?

    the main problem/limitation

    • the problem/limit is that like with most other good apps/sites, we arent able to use multiples instances/copies of that app/site

      • not sure if this is cos the app/site is badly designed or the os is badly designed
      • sites are somewhat less of a problem depending on whaat web client you're using, but as we all know apps are huge problem, arent able to use multiples instances/copies of that app
    • ofc as we all know, onenote can have mutiple instances/copies, but it force switches you to the viritual desktop where a onenote instance is already open instead of where you actually opened onenote

    • cant use onenote online or things from microsoft cos it doesnt let you make mutiple emails, and needs phone numbers

    simplenote

    to create a list , you just press a common hotkey

    • there's also a 1-click to create new list icon

    • and what you type becomes the title

    • the title also auto updates when you change it

    good flow

    other good features

    • 1-click to delete via icon/button
    • 1-click to hide sidebar
    • lists are accessible offline
    • pinnable lists

    this was initally intended just for moblie use (so it has only mobile lists on it)

    but think am gonna move the mobie lists elsewhere (dunno to what, dunno of any good options),

    and use it only for desktop/laptop use

    simplenote was not always good, and the update must've been done this year or last year or whenever it was, it used to be used to be trash like these apps/sites below

    apps/sites that has a good interface just like simplenote? why is it comparable to simplenote?

    bad apps/sites

    zim

    this thing is complete garbage and want to uninstall it

    using it temporarily cos of the problem that you cant use multiples instances/copies of the the good apps/sites

    there lots of friction when creating a list

    1. there's an interface that opens up that gets in your way
    2. it forces you to make a title instead of typing what you actually want
    3. a date that auto-populates and clutters up the screen, and there's no settings/options to delete this garbage

    also 200% the friction just to delete a list

    • takes 2 clicks to delete

    cherrytree

    beyond trash. this is the abosute worst, i dont know if there's even anything good about this, dont think it has any users cos nobody knows whats godo about it

    1. everything is a mess is nowhere it's suppose to be
    2. for example creating a list is a on the 4th link on the 'top bar'
    3. same problem as zim with interface friction
    4. it has a blue background that you cant even changed
    5. i dont htink this garbage is even updated anymore? (updated means updaed in a significant way)
    6. everything is worded incredibly badly that nobody understands
    7. i think this is an app from the 1980s or something, its such garage

    cintanotes

    this is for the need of better searches. onenote has extremely bad searches. there's a few ppl on the web that knows nothing about software and that say its good searches, but it is the worst, terrible search feature in many ways

    • this is suppose to have much better & detailed searches?

    • i still have to test this

    the ui is complete garbage tho

    dynalist

    • 200% friction to create a list
    • then you cant even start typing cos it auto-populates with 'untitled'
    • tons of friction, prob 2nd worst in the simple thing of creating a list

    standard note

    • garbage, why even mention the garbge?

    apps/sites that has good UX/UI just like simplenote? for laptop/desktop use

    submitted by /u/bestminipc
    [link] [comments]

    Wipr or AdGuard

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 03:23 PM PST

    Which one should I get? (paid version)

    I don't mind spending a bit more for the adguard subscription, but is it worth it? Also it would be good if that includes my iPhone too, I don't have any adblocker there yet.

    submitted by /u/Hiroi-Sekai
    [link] [comments]

    Every second or third startup, my 2019 MBP messes up my launchpad layout and throws all the stock apps out of the utilities folder in amongst everything else... Very frustrating, any ideas?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 09:47 AM PST

    despite csrutil status displaying disabled, still no root access

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 11:55 AM PST

    I've been trying to modify /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.pfctl.plist so that pf will start with reboots. Unfortunately, even after booting into recovery mode and disabling System Integrity Protection via "csrutil disable," I still can't modify the file with root.

    (As an aside, I have seen the workaround to "Enable stealth mode," and that will enable pf, but at this point I'm more interested in being able to modify files as need be.)

    submitted by /u/takhasyr
    [link] [comments]

    Mac OS Catalina cant use Microsoft Office

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 07:52 PM PST

    I just updated to OS Catalina and am unable to open (and write) in excel and word. I bought it about 5 years ago and no longer have the key code thing. I need this for my job so i looked it up and it says Catalina doesn't accept 32bit programs anymore. If i knew this i would not have upgraded. I have contacted apple and it seems like they wont do anything for me. Anything i can do?

    submitted by /u/Myack_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel