• Breaking News

    Friday, May 3, 2019

    Apple Macbook I'm on a MacBook air, and "System" is taking up almost all of my memory, does anyone know why it's doing this, and if I can reduce its impact? Thanks!

    Apple Macbook I'm on a MacBook air, and "System" is taking up almost all of my memory, does anyone know why it's doing this, and if I can reduce its impact? Thanks!


    I'm on a MacBook air, and "System" is taking up almost all of my memory, does anyone know why it's doing this, and if I can reduce its impact? Thanks!

    Posted: 03 May 2019 05:25 PM PDT

    I plan to buy a macbook air soon. Should I pay the apple tax and get the 256gb or should I get 128gb and get a thunderbolt 3 thumb drive?

    Posted: 03 May 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    How can I make that when I open apps they will go full screen (without Cmd-F) and STILL not auto hide the dock?

    Posted: 03 May 2019 02:30 PM PDT

    Older MacBooks still relevant?

    Posted: 03 May 2019 12:15 PM PDT

    I've used PC for my entire life but I've had an iPhone since 2010. Recently I got an iPad and love the compatibility you get between the devices. I was thinking about trying out a MacBook but can't afford the $1000+ price tags of the newer models so I'm looking into refurbished older models (maybe $500 range) To those of you with older MacBooks (2011-2015 models) how have they held up? I mostly use my laptop for typing word do so, browsing with many tabs, streaming, etc. nothing that requires a lot of graphical or processing power. Are they as "snappy" or quick to respond as modern windows laptops?

    PS If you guys know of a place to find deals on refurbished macs, I'd appreciate it! :)

    submitted by /u/jackyruss
    [link] [comments]

    Mr. Mobile | MacBook Pro: Apple’s Worst Product That I Just Can’t Quit

    Posted: 03 May 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    MCP 13 inch 2017 dongle doesn’t work

    Posted: 03 May 2019 03:44 PM PDT

    My MacBook Pro 2017 is having connectivity issues with a dongle. Once you plug the dongle in, you have to wait approximately 30 minutes until you can connect anything to it, otherwise the thing you connected to it just wouldn't work. It wouldn't even turn on. I've tried other dongles before, same issue. Anyone else having this problem? Both the dongles, one from belkin one from ugreen didn't have any instructions for a driver. I checked both websites, no driver

    submitted by /u/PotatoYosh
    [link] [comments]

    [HELP] How do I change what goes into the Control strip of the touch bar?

    Posted: 03 May 2019 07:26 PM PDT

    [HELP] How do I change what goes into the Control strip of the touch bar?

    Hey r/macbook community. So I switched to one for the first time ever in my life after 20+ years of using a windows pc. Needless to say, my world feels like it's been turned upside down - just waiting for that view to become pretty like everyone keeps saying it is.

    Quick question - may seem like a simple one to you but google searches aren't getting me anywhere with it:

    you see this non-expanded control-strip of the touch bar to the right hand corner? How do I change what buttons are on there?

    A co-worker added the "lock" icon there when I first got it but I couldn't ask them to show it to me again. I've tried the menu "Keyboard > Customise touch bar" but I don't know how to actually change what's in the Control strip.

    I've also tried "Extension preferences > Touchbar > Customise control strip" - but I get the same menu as from above.

    Can someone tell me how to change what goes into this please?

    This bit that shows when the touch bar is not expanded.

    submitted by /u/alfa_sixten
    [link] [comments]

    Time Machine backup with El Capital and restoring to Mojave?

    Posted: 03 May 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    Currently have an older macbook pro with el capitan w/ time machine backups. I am replacing the hdd in it and plan on installing Mojave. Should I update the current OS to mojave, and then replace drive.,install mojave and then restore time machine backup, or can I just replace HDD, install clean mojave and then use the time machine backup ( El Capitan ) or is this completely OS unrelated?

    submitted by /u/zzzzzxx
    [link] [comments]

    MBP 2018: my experience with temps, throttling and questioning the use of Turbo Boost

    Posted: 03 May 2019 04:49 AM PDT

    Hi, so I picked up a MacBook Pro 2018 13" last week. After a week of light to heavy use of Lightroom and Final Cut Pro X, I wanted to share my experiences. I used Macs Fan Control and Turbo Boost Switcher to enhance the experience and see if disabling Turbo Boost comes at a cost. I didn't use any benchmarking for this purpose, but rather my own feel of the machine while doing my most frequent tasks.

    Relevant specs of my Macbook are the i7 CPU, base clock speed 2.7, with an advertised turbo boost of up to 4.5 Ghz and (for what it's worth) 16 GB memory. Other relevant info is that I use my MBP on a wooden surface, in my living room where it's currently normal ambient temperature: not too cold, not too warm (I'm in the Netherlands, so nothing too spectacular). Also (maybe) relevant is that I'm using my laptop with an external 4k monitor (at 60hz).

    For people in a hurry, my conclusion: (below that you'll find my more in-depth write up of my experiences)

    Conclusion and TL;WR:

    • No noticeable performance impact in Lightroom with Turbo Boost Off.
    • Combined with custom fan control at sub 3k rpm (inaudible), this additionally yields a cool MBP.
    • With Turbo Boost On in Lightroom, you're gonna need the fans at a minimum of 5000 rpm to keep it cool enough and the CPU from not throttling itself down to Pentium 4 performance every 4 seconds.
    • In FCPX, the fans ramp up a bit less than in Lightroom. Disabling Turbo Boost in FCPX also doesn't yield a big performance hit. It still feels snappy enough, even though I'd guess the export and stabilising times will be longer.
    • I have no idea what the added value is of Turbo Boost at this moment...

    (The temperatures and clock speeds are derived from Intel Power Gadget.)

    My experiences with normal browsing in Safari:

    • CPU: Mostly below or around base speed of 2.7 Ghz
    • Temperatures around 55-65, sometimes even lower.
    • Fans are at 1200-1500 rpm, sometimes 2k, sometimes even 0.
    • Palm rest is 'warm', the space between the Touch Bar and the display is somewhat hot.

    Experience with Lightroom with no custom fan control and Turbo Boost Enabled (default settings):

    • CPU: Spikes up to 4+ Ghz pretty fast (yay for Adobe applications).
    • Temperatures go up to 100 pretty fast, which in turn throttles the CPU down to below clock speed.
    • Fans ramp up to 6000-6300, don't go below 5000 throughout editing in Lightroom. You're gonna need headphones.
    • Palm rest still 'warm' (albeit somewhat warmer), the space between Touch Bar and the display is hot to the touch.

    Experience with Lightroom and custom fan control and Turbo Boost disabled:

    • CPU: Spikes up base clock speed of 2.7 Ghz with TB disabled.
    • Temperature doesn't go above 80.
    • Fans don't really ramp up - and if I set a constant (inaudible) setting of 2850 rpm in Macs Fan Control, the MBP actually feels cool to the touch on the palm rest.
    • Performance wise: there is no noticeable difference between Turbo Boost On (clock speeds of 4+ Ghz) and Turbo Boost Off (constant clock speed of 2.7 Ghz).

    Experience with Lightroom and custom fan control, but with Turbo Boost enabled.

    • CPU: Spikes up to 4+ Ghz
    • Fan setting of a constant 3750 rpm: temperature reaches 100 pretty fast and CPU throttles back down. No noticeable performance impact in Lightroom
    • Fan setting of a constant 4500 rpm: CPU speed swings back and forth between 3-4 Ghz, temperatures reach 100 a lot, but don't really go below 80.
    • Fan setting of a constant 5000 rpm: More time is spent above base clock, still no noticeable performance advantage over base clock of 2.7 Ghz. Temperature wise it still swings back and forth between 80 and 100 degrees.
      • When I used Lightroom a bit more intensively, it throttled down to 2 Ghz actually. Temperature reached a minimum of 60.
      • Prolonged use of heavy editing in LR with the 5k rpm setting yielded lots of time spent above 90 degrees, throttling back to 1 Ghz.
      • Unsure however if the throttling is thanks to the i'm-ready-to-blow mode, or that LR simply was taking a break from needing lots of CPU.
    • Fan setting of a constant 6000 rpm: CPU doesn't hit a 100 anymore. Still see some swinging in clock speed, but I guess that's due to Lightroom not needing more Ghz at that moment (due to it not reaching a 100 degrees).
    • Again: no noticeable performance advantage over base clock speed of 2.7 Ghz.

    Experiences with Final Cut Pro are similar to Lightroom, albeit with less strain on the CPU due to FCPX being more optimised for Mac OS X. The same strategy as with Lightroom is helpful here: constant fan control and Turbo Boost off helps with the temperatures and throttling, although I think the performance impact is maybe a bit more noticeable when stabilising and exporting 4k projects.

    submitted by /u/chiefawesome
    [link] [comments]

    Any button to add here so I can move to desktop quickly like in Windows?

    Posted: 03 May 2019 02:31 PM PDT

    Will apple wipe my machine to fix keyboard?

    Posted: 03 May 2019 01:05 PM PDT

    I had an issue with graphics that they wiped my entire machine for a few weeks ago.

    upon receiving my MacBook Air18 back now some of my keys don't work. will they likely wipe the machine again?

    I JUST got all my files and programs back in working order lol. Is there an easy way to make a backup if I don't have access to a time capsule?

    submitted by /u/AliceJoy
    [link] [comments]

    MBP 2017 left shift key issue

    Posted: 03 May 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    I've been having problems with my left shift key over the last couple of days. The key isn't stuck / sticky at all but just simply doesn't register when I press it half the time. It is very intermittent in when it will and won't work. Some times it will for about 20 keystrokes and then stop again and some key combinations seem to work more often than others (although it may just be random).

    I've tried resetting the SMC and VRAM. Should I wait a few more days or just get the free keyboard repair now?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/RoutineRegister4
    [link] [comments]

    USB C cables easily bending, getting frustrated.

    Posted: 03 May 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    So for my 2018 macbook pro I've had to get USB/HDMI/MicroSD to USB C adapters, and i've found them all to be really easily bent and broken. I'm not going out of my way to mess them up or anything I am a little bit of an idiot but has anyone else had this issue too? I'm just getting annoyed all this stuff was on my last mac built in and I understand USB C is the next thing but right now it's just a huge inconvenience.

    submitted by /u/onlywithtomatoes
    [link] [comments]

    MBP 15 or 13 with eGPU? I can’t decide.

    Posted: 03 May 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    So I'm moving back to Mac after messing with a Matebook X Pro and finally realising it just isn't good enough.

    I do web design, so mostly photoshop, dreamweaver and in-browser work. I would like to game (if it's worthwhile) so would consider a 13 with an eGPU (vega56 possibly), but total cost for that is going to be significantly more than buying a 15" MBP.

    Portability isn't a major issue, as I work from home and have an iPad Pro to take with me to meetings / working in a coffeeshop etc, which I can use to remote into my Mac using Jump Desktop.

    Big question I guess is will I have a better experience with the 13 or 15?

    submitted by /u/hawkeye2604
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro battery issues?

    Posted: 03 May 2019 07:33 AM PDT

    Whenever I am done using my laptop, i usually just close it without doing anything. Recently, if I don't use it for a long period of time, like overnight, the battery is drained when I open it up in the morning. Also, in some instances my macbook was also extremely hot and definitely overheating. Is this a computer problem, or should i just start putting my computer to sleep whenever I close it?

    submitted by /u/Lgc98
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel