• Breaking News

    Friday, October 19, 2018

    Apple Help For those of you still rocking a phone with a headphone jack and are getting static...

    Apple Help For those of you still rocking a phone with a headphone jack and are getting static...


    For those of you still rocking a phone with a headphone jack and are getting static...

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 07:55 PM PDT

    I was getting lots of static in my headphone jack on my 6S, especially if the cable rotated even slightly while the phone was in my pocket, or any kind of tension was applied to the cable in any direction.

    I was seriously lamenting the fact that my headphone jack was starting to go. The I had an idea I got from an old thread I got about cleaning out old receivers.

    1. Take a pipe cleaner.
    2. Spray end of pipe cleaner with Deoxit
    3. Slide pipe cleaner into headphone jack, Slide up and down and turn in circles for a good minute.
    4. Grab an Aux cable and plug it and unplug it a dozen to so times.
    5. Plug Aux cable in and spin it around 2-3 times.
    6. Wait 5-10 minutes for the deoxit to dry
    7. Plug in headphones.

    I did this to my iPhone 6S, my Google Pixel C tablet and the aux jack in my car stereo. ALL static is now gone.

    submitted by /u/plazman30
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with a 2008 MacBook?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 09:44 AM PDT

    I have an early 2008 13inch MacBook running 10.7.5, which is the last OS that was still supported. The thing still works like new, the screen is still bright and crisp, and even the battery still give a couple of hours of charge. This hasn't been my main laptop in many years, having been relegated to basically a Netflix/Hulu viewer. The only thing I've done on it in years is stream movies.

    Over the past year or two, more and more streaming services aren't supported in my old browsers, both Safari and Chrome. Netflix appears to be the last one that still works, all of the other ones tell me my browser is no longer supported.

    Since I can't upgrade my OS, I also can't upgrade my browsers. I understand this thing is ten years old, but it feels like such a waste to have to get rid of this thing since it's still in perfect working condition. Is there anything at all I can do with this thing to allow me to at least stream some content?

    There probably isn't, I think I probably just need to vent. Apple made a great product here, and it functions as new, but I can't do a damn thing on it and it's frustrating.

    submitted by /u/SuggestAPhotoProject
    [link] [comments]

    Subscribed me to the wrong subscription, now I lost $35.99

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 02:59 PM PDT

    I signed up for an app but it said it would only be $2.99 a month. Now it's saying that I made a 35.99 purchase for the whole year, which isn't what I wanted. I tried to go on reportaproblem.apple.com but when I requested for a refund it said "This purchase can not be refunded". Is this all I could do?

    submitted by /u/CrispyColonel
    [link] [comments]

    Attempted robbery has left Mac confused?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 08:36 PM PDT

    Hi, so I was recently robbed (R.I.P to my PS4 loaded with P.T, you'll be sorely missed) and they initially made off with my iMac (it's an old 2008 model) but it was mysteriously returned to me a day later. Since then though, I've come across an issue where I can no longer run any of the prompted system and app updates due to the following issues;

    1. Some other person's email address now pops up when attempting to sign in
    2. It now rejects MY account with the following message; "This update is not available because it was bought by a different user, or the item was refunded or cancelled."

    Does anyone know if there's a work around for this? or will it require an entire system wipe or something? ... and will it even let me do that if I can even run updates? I briefly thought the system had just gotten to old to accept them, but I ran updates not that long ago and it was successful...

    Any help would be very much appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/hawkeyeballs
    [link] [comments]

    Mail App on 2017 MacBook Pro takes up a whopping 118GB on my hard drive... how is this even possible?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 03:25 PM PDT

    Yeah I send a receive a lot of attachments, but I don't even have that much storage on all of my connected Gmail accounts combined...

    I am not logging connections, I deleted a bunch of files from Mail Downloads (a year's worth of downloads), and the number hasn't changed.

    I'm getting this info from About this Mac / Storage. Could that info be inaccurate?

    submitted by /u/hasmany
    [link] [comments]

    Brand New 2017 MacBook 12” Retina- Kernel Panic on first day. Need help!

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 07:32 PM PDT

    Updated my iPad Pro now it’s saying invalid SIM card?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 09:35 PM PDT

    I'm beyond frustrated and I've tried everything, cleaning the SIM card, rebooting it, clearing network settings and checked for a carrier settings update. It's like the update fucked my SIM card. Not sure why it's doing this, any ideas?

    submitted by /u/burgerdistraction
    [link] [comments]

    weird issue with iTunes playlist icon size in Mojave

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 09:28 PM PDT

    some playlist icons in the sidebar appear smaller intermittently. if i hide/show the sidebar, they all become uniform (larger) size, but then as i do stuff, some icons become tiny. i vaguely recall there was an option to change the sidebar view size but i can't find it now. i just want them to all be the same! thanks in advance for any suggestions. i have a > 100GB library if that's relevant to any possible solutions. here's a screencap: https://imgur.com/VObgSPU

    submitted by /u/tripthemgently
    [link] [comments]

    Lightening port: repair cost?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 09:05 PM PDT

    Hi guys. I gifted an old six plus but before doing so I got the battery replaced by Apple. Now the phone is not charging properly. Would This be covered by the 90 d warranty ? It could be the lightning port or not but I figured it's all charge related so hoping Apple is cool with it. Also if they won't cover it how much would it cost to fix the lightning port only? Thanks

    submitted by /u/mb0200
    [link] [comments]

    How to use a mouse with new Macbook Pros

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 08:58 PM PDT

    Hey all!

    I got my mac a couple months ago, and I normally like to use a mouse occasionally to play games/ whenever I'm doing work. I ordered a USB-USB C adaptor online so that I could use my current mouse, but it seems to cause the mouse to not work properly, and input is super slow/glitchy. I was wondering if there are any bluetooth mouses or adaptors that are known to work.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jamiebrickwall
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a new Mac; need data from old liquid-damaged Mac

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 01:26 PM PDT

    Any chance the Apple Store will be able to transfer the files from the old Mac to the new? I've looked into data retrieval but the only reliable place near me charges a $75 inspection fee and then between $400 and $2,000 to do the retrieval. (Alas I haven't backed up in about 9 months. Ugh.) (Hating myself so much right now.) (Yes, I'm an idiot.)

    ETA: And if I don't repair the MBP as it's a 17" from 2009, any way to open it up and destroy the hard drive so as to keep my data secure?

    submitted by /u/Interrogatus
    [link] [comments]

    How does subscribing to apple care through the support app work? Do I need to go to an apple store to show my iphone or not?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 12:12 PM PDT

    MBP Only Booting in Safe Mode + Display Isn't Working

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 06:39 PM PDT

    Regarding Macbook Pro mid 2014 13" running the latest High Sierra

    I've had a really strange issue crop up- simultaneously both the display has stopped working, and the machine won't boot through to the login screen. It took several hours of testing to figure this out, as I didn't think to plugin to an external (via HDMI) display until about an hour in to working on this. There was no incident that caused this. The machine was working, then it was powered down, closed and when it was reopened both issues were present.

    More about the display issue: the built in display has the backlight on, but nothing else. When connected to an external display via HDMI, I'm able to see fairly normal MacOS elements, which takes me to problem #2.

    More about the boot issue: when booting, the machine freezes at either the load bar + apple icon, or sometimes just a black screen. Sometimes there is a pinwheel. I can boot into safe mode no problem and I can boot into recovery mode without an issue as well. HDD smart status ok. Apple's remote hardware diagnostic passes without any errors.

    Here's what I've done:

    • reboot
    • disconnect all peripherals
    • zap PRAM
    • zap SMC
    • reinstall MacOS (High Sierra) via recovery mode
    • Disk utility repair disk
    • Ran Onyx utilities via safe mode
    • Opened machine and disconnect display cable and battery cable, then reconnected
    • tried logging in on the blank screen

    None of the above steps have done anything at all to resolve the issue. We have a fairly recent Time Machine backup and we're comfortable losing all data on machine. Has anyone experienced something like this? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/protestantpope
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to setup NAS primarily for media streaming (music, up to 4k video) from iTunes - help or experiences?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 08:04 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I want to set up a NAS and move my itunes media to it so I do not need my iMac on to stream the content from other devices (ATV primarily). I read a lot about setups for backup purposes but I am looking for an up-to-date view or suggestions for HW for my purpose.

    Anyone with experience or knowledge here please chime in. I have about 1.5 TB of media so I will likely do a 3TB NAS. Might as well do a RAID1 mirror but not necessary - Curious about what drive(s) type will I need - will a standard 7200 handle this job?

    Suggestions of specific drives/NAS would be appreciated too. I would like to keep it around or under $500.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/meegwell01
    [link] [comments]

    How to get Student Discounts

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 12:30 PM PDT

    Hello r/apple,

    I am a poor high school student who is eager to buy a Macbook Air. The cheapest one I found is for $849 with Apple's student discount. However, some sources say you must be a college student or be accepted to a college in order to be eligible. Other sources say high school students can also get this discount. Which one is correct? Are there any other ways to get a Macbook for less than $1000? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/TheGamingFiles
    [link] [comments]

    Forgot keychain password and updated OS. Can’t login

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 05:49 PM PDT

    Hi I have an old MacBook Pro, 2010. I updated the OS, which required an admin password, which I had. However now that I have updated to El Capitan, I cannot even get past the login screen because it asks for a keychain password. What can I do?

    submitted by /u/wjal
    [link] [comments]

    "Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iMessage and FaceTime on a new iPhone." - compromised?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 05:42 PM PDT

    If this in the wrong place please let me know, but I received this notification a few minutes ago. I have 2 iPhones (6 and 8). I barely use my iPhone 6 and it's been turned off for 2 days so I don't understand how I even got this message. I even checked the devices that are using my account and it only says iPhone 8 (this phone) and iPhone 6. Please help, I don't know if my account has been compromised or not? How do I check for this?

    submitted by /u/o-throwaway-o
    [link] [comments]

    Since upgrading from an iPhone 6 to a XS, I only get software updates over night anymore, never in the middle of the day. I also sometimes wake up to find updates from two or three days ago have appeared.

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 11:40 AM PDT

    Can I do something in my settings to fix this?

    submitted by /u/ElderCunningham
    [link] [comments]

    iPad 4 has faded Apple ID on "iTunes and App Stores"

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 05:16 PM PDT

    Doesn't let me install any apps or update apps I have installed, used to work fine but started bugging out as of about 5 days ago.

    submitted by /u/DrTrollguy
    [link] [comments]

    Mojave adds opened apps to dock

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 04:51 PM PDT

    When I open an app not in my dock, it adds it. How do I fix that?

    submitted by /u/addpulp
    [link] [comments]

    Mac UPS Software

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 12:20 PM PDT

    I'm using a 5k (2017) iMac and recently purchased an APC UPS. I love how it integrates with the Mac without having to install additional software. HOWEVER, I've noticed I've had a few "events" yet without the software I'm not exactly sure what happened. Is there any good software that will show me what "events" my UPS detected? The APC comes with software called PowerChute however it's not compatible with Apple. Any suggestions as to what I can use that will give me the information I'm looking for?? TIA.

    submitted by /u/broadway77
    [link] [comments]

    Busted video .mov file, won't play anywhere

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 12:11 PM PDT

    I wanted to show someone an old video today, pulled it up on my phone and it wouldn't load. Trying to see if there is any way to save this file as it's a special one, but it's not looking good. It won't play on anything and looking at the file on my PC is shows that it is zero bytes in size, it does however show the thumbnail.

    submitted by /u/meok91
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot force reboot 2016 MBP w/touchbar

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 11:38 AM PDT

    Hi, my '16 MBP w/ touchbar is frozen and I cannot force it to reboot by holding down the power button. It's been held down over a minute but nothing happens. Help!

    submitted by /u/austai
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 7 broken home button, boot loop

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 03:21 PM PDT

    I have a white iPhone7, and the home button broke one week ago. No problems have occurred, and I've been using assistive touch. I turned off my phone today, and when I try to power it on, it comes up with a white screen and a black Apple logo, and occasionally has a little line that shows up for a split second on the top right, or bottom right of the screen. Then, it turns back off, and repeats that exact same process. Going to an Apple store is not an option for the next 5 days and any help is appreicated

    submitted by /u/5ivedollarFootlong
    [link] [comments]

    ID APPLE problem + Activation error

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 10:17 AM PDT

    Hi guys! So, I bought my iphone 6 Plus when I used to live in Brazil, and my trusted number is brazilian. Now I moved to another country and while I was trying to solve another situation, I clicked in Log out my ID Apple by mistake, and I cant recover now because I don't have access to my trusted number anymore. So I Scheduled for them to help me with it, and they were supposed the message me on October 22nd, to my new number. I thought I was saved and my phone was working well besides the fact that I couldn't download apps. The biggest problem is that last night, I put my phone to charge and I got this message "Activation Error - Activation could not be completed. Please restore the phone and install the latest version of IOS and attempt activation again. If the problem persists, please contact customer support."

    I don't know what do to, because I cant do anything without my ID Apple. And now when they text me on Monday I will not be able to see it and I will not be able to recover my ID. Do you guys have any suggestion of what to do? I don't have another phone right now where I can contact them.

    submitted by /u/kindaunexpected
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel