• Breaking News

    Monday, October 22, 2018

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 21]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 21]


    Daily Tech Support Thread [October 21]

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 08:13 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    It is truly absurd that Siri on MacOS still can't set a simple timer

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 03:32 PM PDT

    I understand that the reason for this is that there is no timer/alarm clock app built in to MacOS but I find this explanation utterly unsatisfactory. There is no valid rationale for the exclusion of such a ubiquitous function. It's just silly at this point.

    submitted by /u/Trapezoidoid
    [link] [comments]

    Apple should release their event logos as stickers.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 06:48 AM PDT

    LPT: Your alarm will not save if the time is still scrolling when hitting "save".

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 06:35 PM PDT

    Fucked my morning today. Not sure if this is a bug or it's to prevent a mistake. https://imgur.com/TNFpmOP

    submitted by /u/TheyCallMePimpSauce
    [link] [comments]

    Why has Apple moved the “switch camera” button in FaceTime?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 04:20 AM PDT

    I don't often make FaceTime calls, but I would guess that pretty much every time I do, I want to show the other person both my face, and my surroundings.

    Since iOS 12 (I think?), the option to switch camera is hidden away behind a "More…" style menu. Worse than that, tapping that button brings up an overlay, so you can't see the result of pressing the switch camera button to confirm you pressed it, or which way FaceTime is now looking.

    Edit: to those politely saying I should have used search, you're absolutely right - sorry. Somehow I'd not seen the previous threads come up.

    submitted by /u/Drarok
    [link] [comments]

    waxy ears + AirPods

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 07:08 PM PDT

    So my ears get naturally grossly waxy (sorry ik it's gross) with my normal EarPods I sometimes just take a tooth pick and clean out the gunk, I want to get AirPods but I don't want to shove a toothpick inside a 160 pair of earbuds, is there any way to protect this?

    submitted by /u/skankhunt1738
    [link] [comments]

    Has Apple given up on adding bicycle route onto their stock Maps app?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 09:11 PM PDT

    Title - the lastest thing I could search for is a reddit thread from 2 years ago and that's about it.

    submitted by /u/QueueTee314
    [link] [comments]

    Do Apple products warrant their premium price in 2018?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 08:05 AM PDT

    MacBook Pro LCD Backlight issue - Flexgate

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 10:50 AM PDT

    Can we make the subreddit logo randomly select one of the Apple logos released as part of the October event announcement each time you load the page?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 03:06 AM PDT

    How I stop Apple Music from changing my album art of my songs ?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 08:27 AM PDT

    Ever since I sub to Apple Music my album art of my songs are changed or messed up with what Apple thinks it's the right one. How I fix this cause this is annoying.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Xtskezza
    [link] [comments]

    Is OLED a bad choice when keeping a phone 3-4 years?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 02:37 PM PDT

    Every iPhone I owned, I've kept for 4 years for daily use. Now, I know anything can happen, but is the OLED lifespan a bad choice for this? This is pretty much a deciding factor between the XS and XR.

    I know that burn in is inevitable along with yellowing and other problems, but is it that much higher than LCD? Am I going to see some notable drop in quality after year 2? Apple says this is the best screen along with their long term commitment to keeping phones working longer. Replacement screen costs are high, which is understandable, but not with limited lifespan if we're talking 1 to 2 years.

    I haven't heard any wide spread cases after 1 year, not to mention Apple Watch also uses OLED.

    submitted by /u/hunter451
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Mail App slowing down new Macbook Pro.

    Posted: 22 Oct 2018 02:24 AM PDT

    Not really sure what's going on.

    I've recently moved to macOS from windows and have setup my old mail accounts on my macbook pro.

    The macbook works absolutely fine, but for some reason the Mail client slows the whole computer down to a snails pace. Activity monitor shows it's using 51% of cpu resources and 8GB of system memory, which is more than the actual physical ram capacity.

    What on earth is causing this? I've never had any other issues with any other mail clients (including free ones). Is this a macOS bug?

    submitted by /u/djangounfazed
    [link] [comments]

    When macbooks get touch, what will apple call it?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2018 02:01 AM PDT

    For sure it will have another fancy name like liquid touch, and they'll call it revolutionary while it already exists a couple years.

    What do you think apple will call it?

    submitted by /u/ItsDani1008
    [link] [comments]

    SD-purchased Movies from iTunes play in 4K on iPhone XS

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 04:46 PM PDT

    Wondering if anyone else has noticed this...

    I have several SD versions of movies purchased years ago, and when I go to view and play my purchases on my iPhone Xs, I'm able to view them in full 4K (or 1080 if not available)

    This only works on the phone, however. Playing on an Apple TV still shows SD

    submitted by /u/Foolwithaguitar
    [link] [comments]

    Who is still jailbreaking his iPhone?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 05:08 AM PDT

    6 years ago, I admit that the jailbreak was very useful, it permits to add some cool functions to iOS.

    But since iOS 7, the more Apple has upgraded iOS, the more useless was the jailbreak.

    I just wanted to know if there are still some people who are jailbreaking their iPhone, and, if someone is in this case, why are you still doing that?

    submitted by /u/justafrenchasshole
    [link] [comments]

    WhatsApp finally updated to scale properly on iPhone XS Max

    Posted: 22 Oct 2018 12:17 AM PDT

    Latest WhatsApp dev notes say it now supports iPhone Xs Max. Upon downloading the update I can confirm it now scales properly!

    submitted by /u/graphitenexus
    [link] [comments]

    Swipe to go back in Apps

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 03:56 PM PDT

    Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing a lot of iOS apps these days that are missing out on Swipe to back functionality.

    A recent example from my usage - Starbucks gift tab. Other tabs seem to be fine.

    Questions - is there some new UI framework that these apps are using that by default doesn't have swipe to back? Cause it doesn't make sense as this is implemented by default in the Navigation VC APIs.

    submitted by /u/p0lAris666
    [link] [comments]

    Safari strong passwords makes me hate iCloud Keychain

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 06:20 PM PDT

    Ever since they added this "feature" in safari keychain login doesn't work at all on about 90% of websites.

    Every time I use a safari suggested strong password, when I go back to the site later to log in, my password doesn't fill or I get I correct login.

    Feels like the old passwords worked way more often. Am I the only one having terrible luck with this?

    submitted by /u/fatt_maddison
    [link] [comments]

    Keyboard Covers?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 08:58 PM PDT

    I got a MacBook Pro 2018 around a month ago. I also got a keyboard cover for it as having dust in the spaces between the keys and the body really bothers me. I took it off recently and actually like the way the keyboard feels without the cover a lot more. Is it worth it in the long run to have the cover on it or would I be ok just using it with nothing on it? I know the changed something about the keyboard in this year's model but if someone could fully explain that to me it would be great (did the put silicone under it or something?). Thanks.

    submitted by /u/GullBull
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to turn off the media player screen on the Apple Watch?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 09:09 AM PDT

    Specifically talking about this. Really annoying having to manually exit it every time I play something on my phone

    submitted by /u/AdminsFuckedMeOver
    [link] [comments]

    FYI spinning circle of death FIX

    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 04:37 PM PDT

    Recently a lot of iPhones have had issues becoming non responsive and only showed the spinning loading symbol in the middle of a black screen.

    THIS IS NOT GUARANTEED BUT MAY FIX YOUR ISSUE

    It has been identified that an app called "Gas Buddy" has had issues running in iOS 12 and has caused this issue with phones.

    TO FIX : - press the up volume
    - press the down volume - hold the power button until you see the Apple logo. - then delete the "Gas Buddy" app

    This is a temporary solution until Apple or Gas Buddy releases a fix for the app

    submitted by /u/Surviving_College
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel