• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 20, 2018

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 19]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 19]


    Daily Tech Support Thread [October 19]

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 08:15 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Apple CEO Tim Cook is calling for Bloomberg to retract its Chinese spy chip story.

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 10:21 AM PDT

    Louis Rossmann admits to using parts from a factory in China that wasn't authorized to manufacture the batteries seized (Proof inside)

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 03:57 PM PDT

    Louis Rossman's account posted this comment in another subreddit -- copy/pasted below and screenshotted here in case he takes it down...

    "Or they show that a factory that was contracted to make these batteries continued doing so after the contract ran out, but still used apple's logo"

    This is most likely.

    A lot of the times, companies will try out 10 or 20 different factories before going to a final one for production. People will spend hundreds of thousands tooling up to make one part, only to lose a bid or have a contract end early. they have two choices

    1. Consider it a failed investment
    2. Produce the parts to original specification, and sell them to Americans who have no choice as the OEM won't sell them the part for any amount of money anyway.

    So many of these people are making jack shit wages as it is to pump out a 230millionth macbook keyboard or whatever. If they want to make one and sell it to me and I'll pay them something worth it, they will. Whether Apple says they can or not, given that they are being paid shit, matters not to them.

    And it doesn't matter much to me either.

    Here is his second comment which is also backed up as a screenshot. It's a bit long so I'm only quoting the relevant part below (not the entire comment), because I think this is the most damning bit:

    Usually I ask them to sharpie out the Apple logo, and usually they do. Problem solved. Why that did not happen here is beyond me. ​ Maybe they did, but the dude at customs was smart enough to realize black sharpie on black plastic this time.

    So he knows these batteries have apple logos on them (making them counterfeit)... and asks his supplier to sharpie the logos out ಠ_ಠ

    And keep in mind, this is coming straight from his Reddit account.


    Regarding the comment above

    First of all, let me start by saying, I am not defending Apple's terrible stance towards Right to Repair. However, I do have an issue with people not being completely transparent, misrepresenting the truth, and then blaming apple for something completely unrelated.

    Lous Rossman, on his own reddit account in a comment, says that he commissioned the batteries from a factory in China that was no longer authorized to make those batteries, because likely they lost the bid/contract to do so.

    He then goes on to say that:

    If they want to make one and sell it to me and I'll pay them something worth it, they will. Whether Apple says they can or not .... And it doesn't matter much to me either.

    Which is fine. He can do what he wants.

    Here's the thing... If you break the law, and import counterfeit parts, and then custom seizes them, You cannot blame Apple for that -- Regardless of apple's stance on Right to Repair, Louis broke the law. Customs came after you for breaking said law. Customs is not apple's watchdog, nor are they somehow beholden to apple, nor are they lashing out against him, because Apple told them to go after him. Customs does not care about the MORALITY of his fight in favor of Right to Repair (which IMO is a good thing to fight for), They care about the LEGALITY of what Louis doing, and what you did was not legal...

    Posting a video blaming Apple for what Customs did to seize the shipment grossly misrepresents the situation... and then calming "they are apple batteries" further muddies the water. If the factory that makes these "exact copies" of Apple batteries does not have a contract to do so, then you shouldn't be commissioning them to make said batteries.

    Tl;Dr: The claim that Apple is somehow using Customs to sealclub the Rossman group is unfounded, and incorrect


    On Apple and Right to Repair.

    I think Apple's R2R policy is awful - It sucks that once the device you buy is on the "obsolete" list, you can no longer get 1st party service from Apple. Not only that, but there are no legal ways to obtain parts. IMO this is something all of us should be putting pressure on Apple to change. I'd love it if there was a law on the books that forced companies to make spare parts for products available to customers for x amount of years after the warranty expires. That would allow people to continue using the devices they buy.

    But just because apple's policy sucks, doesn't give anyone a license to break import/export laws, even if morally correct. Sometimes, legality and morality do not line up. In those cases, it's advisable that people put pressure on lawmakers, so the law is changed.

    In closing, I'm going to continue supporting Louis, iFixit, and their attempts to secure our rights to repair the products we own. But I also believe in calling people out when they misrepresent something in order to demonize the other side. All it does is weaken the integrity behind the claims they are making, which will ultimately hurt their own arguments when they push in favor of Right to Repair.


    • Edit 1: better formatting for the quote.
    • Edit 2: formatted the section headings
    • Edit 3: adding more evidence...
    • Edit 4: Web Archives of comment 1 and comment 2
    • Edit 5: spelling and grammar
    submitted by /u/WinterCharm
    [link] [comments]

    Something amazing Apple never gets credit for: impedance memory

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 11:31 AM PDT

    You know how when you have an aux cable plugged into your phone you keep the volume all the way up, then you go to plug your headphones in later and get your ears blown up? Apple doesn't let that happen. They recognize the impedance of a device connected to the jack (built-in or Lightning dongle!) and set the volume to the last one you had set. I discovered this feature comparing a new set of headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 250Ω, with my old earbuds on an iPhone SE. The headphones were much harder to drive and I needed my volume at around 60-70% compared to 20-30% for the earbuds. I was able to swap between them and the volume went up and down back to whatever I had set last time they were in. This is an amazing feature and Apple deserves more credit for it, especially for keeping it despite removing the headphone jack. I'd highly encourage you to test it out and see how clever the feature is. Thank you Apple!

    submitted by /u/PascLeRasc
    [link] [comments]

    AppleCare Page from 2000 still live on Apple's website

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 07:46 PM PDT

    I just got my first MacBook... it's pretty good, I jus-- Wait, why did no one mention to me harder force clicks to preview links in Safari?!

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 08:50 PM PDT

    This completely changes the way I browse reddit. Now, when someone posts a video or picture, I can just quickly look at it and then close it. I'm absolutely shocked that this isn't a bigger talking point. You just don't find that elsewhere.

    submitted by /u/RedTib
    [link] [comments]

    Banned Scam App Immediately Back On App Store, Now Charging Immediately For 'Free Trial'

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 01:19 PM PDT

    Jonathan Ive (Apple Ad Narrator) needs to be the Male Siri

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 05:14 AM PDT

    His smooth and elegant voice is what makes Apple stand out in commercials. Every time I watch a commercial from Apple, hearing him narrate is what I call pure ASMR material which would make him the perfect personal assistant.

    submitted by /u/FuckingGratitude
    [link] [comments]

    Dear Apple Please Include a USB-C Port on Each Side of the Rumoured New Macbook / MacBook Air

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 12:43 PM PDT

    It's just is so much more convenient for charging than two on one side or only one!

    submitted by /u/reidabooyo
    [link] [comments]

    Good Guy Apple: even when using inverted colors the Alarm app stays dark so you don’t burn out your retinas late at night

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 09:27 PM PDT

    I have smart invert set to a triple-two of the side button. All UI elements get inverted, but to my surprise the Clock app stays in its normal dark mode.

    They must have specifically coded this behavior.

    submitted by /u/colinstalter
    [link] [comments]

    Using my Lightning Earpods all day yesterday reminded me how freeing AirPods are

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 04:56 AM PDT

    I forgot my AirPods so I was tethered to my phone once again. Now I have them back and it's like magic again.

    This melodramatic post brought to you by coffee

    submitted by /u/DMacB42
    [link] [comments]

    Shocking moment in Apple history when Jony Ive once pronounced aluminum the American way

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 06:28 PM PDT

    The iPhone X�� cannot do portrait mode effects on anything besides faces (confirmed form Mashable video)

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 03:24 AM PDT

    Two-Factor Authentication is the most frustrating thing when you change your phone number.

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 09:30 AM PDT

    I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I ran out of options and I'm not sure what to do anymore.

    So... I got an interview with Apple(retail). They emailed me the invitation through my gmail account, which I put as the preferred email on my application.

    However, I actually logged into the application with my iCloud email. I cannot RSVP to the invitation without signing in WITH the gmail account, but it's doing the whole two factor authentication thing. But, I can't do this, because I haven't used that account since I had my old number.

    I have my old cell phone and I'm not 100% sure it has my gmail account as my iCloud, but I forgot the freaking passcode for it since it was years ago.

    What do i do? I submitted a request for account recovery on my gmail, but I'm worried they won't recover it by the time i have to RSVP (Oct 26.) I also emailed them asking if they could send me the invitation to my iCloud account which I used to sign up but I have yet to get a response.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/orangejuicehater
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft launches Spend iOS app that automatically tracks and matches expenses.

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 08:51 AM PDT

    Hey Reddit, the Apple Watch keyboard I'm making now works with iMessage. For the first time ever, text comfortably straight from your wrist! • r/AppleWatch

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 09:19 PM PDT

    FYI you get more themes for Tweetbot 5 for iOS right now if you go to settings, click ”Support Tweetbot” and give them a tip

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 12:49 PM PDT

    It’s the little things

    Posted: 20 Oct 2018 01:53 AM PDT

    For security reasons, I had never allowed Control Center to be accessible when the screen was locked.

    Now that I switched to an iPhone with Face ID, I can easily get to it. I mean, it almost feels like I'm not even unlocking my iPhone: I just reach to the top right corner of the screen and swipe down, and there I have it. So convenient!

    I know it may sound silly, but it's the little things.

    submitted by /u/gsbr
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the first new feature/thing you show your friends about the iPhone XS?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 10:25 AM PDT

    Numbers appearing next to apple tvs in device list

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 10:31 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/zVU118i

    These numbers appear next to almost all my devices. They used to be single digit numbers and go up to the next number after a couple weeks. But today for some reason they all went up to triple digits. Can I get rid of them some how? Anyone else have this problem?

    edit The devices that don't have numbers connect to my network wirelessly. The ones that have numbers are connected via Cat5/6

    submitted by /u/countvincent1
    [link] [comments]

    Jony Ive Discusses His Team's Move to Apple Park, Remains Tight-Lipped About Prospects of Apple Car

    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 05:04 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel