• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 17, 2018

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 16]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 16]


    Daily Tech Support Thread [October 16]

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 08:11 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    After I picked up a new S4 Apple Watch, my kids wanted their own. So, I made some. We're all rocking the Infograph Modular face.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 07:53 AM PDT

    Why is it so exceedingly difficult to flip the camera on FaceTime now?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 12:25 PM PDT

    Feels like a very un-Apple design choice to have me awkwardly fumble around with the controls for almost 30 seconds while my mom patiently waits for what I want to show her by flipping the camera.

    Such a feature should never have made it out of beta.

    submitted by /u/MichaeloMGB
    [link] [comments]

    Apple teases new Japanese retail store for 2019, promotes Shibuya reopening with custom wallpapers

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 05:49 PM PDT

    iPhone X survived 8 hours submerged on the sea floor. I was able to recover it later in the day using find my iPhone!

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 02:57 AM PDT

    Crazy story.

    I was enjoying some water sports with my soon to be fiance who I was planning to propose to 2 hours after this happened. We decided to take the iPhone out to take some photos of us kayaking and stand up paddle boarding on the beach (yes probably a stupid idea). So I had my iPhone in my pocket as I got up on the stand up paddle board and I fell backwards into the water. That was when it struck me. My phone was no longer in my pocket.

    After desperately trying to relocate the phone using snorkeling gear lol it quickly dawned upon us that there was no way we were going to find the phone amongst all the rocks and debris on the ocean floor. Plus I figured that the phone will probably be water damaged before long being submerged in salty sea water. Furthermore, radiowaves can't penetrate water so my phone immedately lost reception meaning we weren't able to call it or use find my iPhone.

    This was obviousy a massive downer for me but I brushed it off. After all I was planning on proposing.

    So I went ahead with the proposal and it went really well :) had a celebratory dinner on the beach. I would occasionally look out to the ocean knowing that my iPhone was sitting on the ocean floor but I wasn't going to let that ruin the night for me.

    When we finally returned home I decided to try find my iPhone again. This was T-8 hours post fall into water. The tide had come out a bit so I was hoping that the seas would part and I my phone would get signal again.

    Lo and behold I got a signal!

    So we raced down to the beach and I played the sonar sound through find my iPhone and was able to locate it amongst the rocks. 66% battery left haha.

    To my surprise it was in perfect working condition! We quickly took it back home and put it in some rice and I haven't had any problems with it since.

    Thanks apple for creating such a sturdy product in the iPhone X and the amazing find my iphone app. It was the icing on the cake to a perfect day!

    TLDR:

    Dropped phone in ocean 2 hours before proposal. Did said propsal anyway. She said yes! Used find my iPhone to relocate phone on the ocean floor once the tide had come out 8 hours after being submerged in water in perfect working condition. WINNING.

    submitted by /u/lorislongfellow
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone Xs has way better battery life than I expected.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 08:48 PM PDT

    It honestly feels more or less just as on par as my old 7 Plus it replaced, so I'm really really pleased with that, especially considering reviews are lambasting the Xs' battery life as its weak point.

    Anyone else feel the Xs' battery life exceeded their expectations?

    submitted by /u/charlesingalls_
    [link] [comments]

    The original battery from my 2012 MBP finally gave out today. 2,967 cycles.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 09:50 PM PDT

    Anybody else get this kind of mileage out of their batteries?

    https://imgur.com/onOoOmZ.png

    RIP you hardy bastard.

    submitted by /u/soccerperson
    [link] [comments]

    TIL You can create subfolders in Apple's Notes app

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 10:58 AM PDT

    I am really enjoying the ability to take notes on my iPad Pro in the native Notes app but the inability to nest folders was a big pet peeve for me. However, I just learned that you can nest folders in Apple's Notes app. You can't do it via your iOS device but you can do so via iCloud or macOS. Just drag the folder you want to nest to the folder you want to nest it under and it will make that folder a subfolder. It will sync with your iOS devices and show up as a nested folder.

    Just wanted to pass along this tip for anyone would was looking for a way to create subfolders for the native Notes app.

    submitted by /u/ch_f
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else find it more convenient to just use the "Copy" option in share then paste it in the message thread you want, rather than having to type your contact's name in the Message sharing UI?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 10:01 AM PDT

    I see no good reason why you can't just click amongst your most recent conversations to share.

    submitted by /u/Nestramutat-
    [link] [comments]

    Apple iPhone XS Review Addendum: Small Core and NN Performance

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 04:14 PM PDT

    Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak joins a blockchain investment firm

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 10:11 PM PDT

    No, Apple didn’t acquire music analytics startup Asaii, it hired the founders to work on Apple Music

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 04:45 AM PDT

    App Store bundles can now include Mac and subscription-based apps

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 02:11 PM PDT

    Apple Give Back

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 11:48 PM PDT

    Hope this is Okay in this sub Reddit!

    I plan on upgrading my iPhone this year, from a 7 to a XS Max. My question is: Can I bring in my iPhone 7, my old iPhone 6, my iPhone SE, & my iPad Mini 2 and put it all towards my new iPhone? I have looked all over Apple's website and can't find anything about multiple devices. All of them are perfect, no broken buttons, screens, or features. If you go through the estimator, it gives a value of $410 for all of them. (iPhone 7: $200, every other device is $70) I own them all and they all can be reset to prove no iTunes account lock or anything. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/DrGrossMan2014
    [link] [comments]

    After the first six tracks of my New Music Mix were country last week I'm reaching the end of my rope with For You on Apple Music

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 02:51 PM PDT

    Apple Music has had a weird penchant for recommending music I truly hate. It started with Musique Francophonie (french music) about six months ago - going into "Choose Music and Artists you like" under my profile I would have Musique Fracophonie pop up every week despite me removing it every friday morning after realizing my mix was peppered with French tracks.

    This week I started my mix and was subjected to six straight tracks of country - something I can definitely do without. I went to adjust the music types only to find out that this feature has been removed, and now you influence music by following artists. I have very little country in that list, and no French music, and yet here we are.

    Spotify seems to get it. Apple Music doesn't. Anyone else having this problem where Apple Music seems hell bent on playing music you hate?

    submitted by /u/threepio
    [link] [comments]

    according to my girlfriend, the iPhone Xr is just an iPhone 5c.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 12:17 PM PDT

    My girlfriend is due for an upgrade from her 7plus and wants a Max. Based on how she uses her phone, ( she doesn't play games, she doesn't watch any video content outside of instagram, rarely uses the camera app as she takes all her pictures in snapchat and then saves them to the camera roll) I thought I'd sell her on the Xr in order to save her a few hundred dollars.

    First of all, and honestly this made the pitch so much more exciting for me, she had NO IDEA what the Xr was. I had to explain to her that apple introduced three new iPhones at their event instead of just the Xs and Xs Max. Ok so now she knows that the Xr exists. Next, I asked her two qualifying questions. The first question I asked her was if she liked the screen quality on her 7 plus. She said yes. I asked her if it looked any different than mine (max) and she said no not really. We both have the all black wallpapers btw. Then I asked if she'd ever pressed the "1x" on her camera to zoom in. She said not really. I proceeded to tell her that the only "advantages" of the max were the second lense and the screen quality. She was very much entertaing the idea of the Xr. And then I brought up the colors. 

    As soon as I brought up the wonderful selection of colors, I was pulled. The pitch was over. It really surprised me too because I thought the color choice would excite her. Nope. She immediately brought up the 5c and its inferiority to the 5s. I hadn't even brought up the fact that it was almost $400 cheaper before she deemed it "cheap." She didn't care about the money she'd save. She only cared about perception. 

    My girlfriend is not tech savvy, doesn't care about specs, and doesn't even know what benchmarks are. She's just the type of person I thought the Xr was for. If her feelings are any indication however, the Xr wil just be another 5c. whatever that means. 
    submitted by /u/topofthemorning3ya
    [link] [comments]

    Why doesn’t Apple open up NFC to third-party applications?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 07:56 AM PDT

    It could quite easily be applied to infrastructural scenarios such as checking in in your public transportation, or opening doors which previously used cards.

    Will this happen in the future?

    submitted by /u/WalterKydoi
    [link] [comments]

    New update crashes my camera roll in apps

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 02:48 AM PDT

    Ever since I downloaded the new update last night apps like mail, Instagram etc just cause my photo library to go black when I try to select an image!

    screen recording

    submitted by /u/Technogeek4000
    [link] [comments]

    Why can we not turn iphone screens upside down?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 01:59 AM PDT

    I've never understood why we can't!? THE AMOUNT OF LIGHTNING CABLES POTENTIALLY SAVED... Think of the future Apple

    submitted by /u/Cunt-Tall
    [link] [comments]

    Drafts for Mac Beta Information is available

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 12:42 PM PDT

    Scam subscriptions plague the App Store

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 11:24 AM PDT

    Apple please add the battery % on the top right on iphone X+

    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 03:19 AM PDT

    So I just recently bought the Iphone XS Max and apparently the feature to naturally view the battery percentage (without swiping down) is not there any more. Does anyone a way to make this possible?

    submitted by /u/Fuukubear
    [link] [comments]

    Apple granted another patent on a folding iPhone, including a double-fold design

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 07:12 AM PDT

    Apple 'deeply apologetic' over account hacks in China; Victims of the scams didn't enable two-factor authentication

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 11:18 PM PDT

    Programmers of /r/Apple, what's your opinion on the MBPro Touchbar?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 12:35 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I think I might go for a MacBook Pro. Seeing as I study physics at university, it will be more than just a Facebook/Reddit/PDF/PowerPoint machine.

    I do a fair bit of scientific computing, nothing much with developing actual applications, just a lot of heavy number crunching and all that stuff, but it's all single threaded.

    I mainly would like to hear some opinions on what you guys think of the touchbar on the MBPro for an IDE like JetBrains PyCharm, since all of my university work so far uses Python.

    Would love some opinions on whether or not the touchbar is actually useful, or if it's mostly just a gimmick.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/damage-fkn-inc
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel