• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 10, 2018

    Apple Help I accidentally deleted a text thread from iMessage on my MacBook Pro and desperately need it back!

    Apple Help I accidentally deleted a text thread from iMessage on my MacBook Pro and desperately need it back!


    I accidentally deleted a text thread from iMessage on my MacBook Pro and desperately need it back!

    Posted: 10 May 2018 11:13 AM PDT

    I accidentally "exed" out of one of my text messages on my Mac and desperately need it back. It's a thread between an old, now passed, friend of mine and I don't know how to restore it. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, I just don't know what else to do. Thank you for everything.

    submitted by /u/backinthe1940s
    [link] [comments]

    Not getting notifications on my Apple Watch?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 09:43 PM PDT

    I have the series 2 and I have not gotten notifications for it all day. I have no idea what caused it. I haven't updated or changed any settings recently. The only thing I am getting is the breathe and activity ring notifications

    submitted by /u/MinnyRawks
    [link] [comments]

    Restoring using time machine my backup of my macbook that was running and SSD to a different macbook with a HDD- will I have issues?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 09:07 PM PDT

    Long story short, I spilled coffee on my macbook which had a solid state drive installed and bought another macbook pro (late 2010 as well) and am in the process of restoring from an external hard drive using time machine. Only it has been stuck at the very end of the white Apple loading screen since "successfully" restoring for s few hours now. Would the machine have an issue since the files were configured for SSD?

    submitted by /u/kalinako
    [link] [comments]

    Found iPhone 4 after a couple years. It is stuck on the dead battery, but plugged in screen (empty battery except the red sliver)

    Posted: 10 May 2018 04:00 PM PDT

    As the title says, I found my old iPhone 4 after a couple of years of not being used and I plugged it in so I could look through it. It has been on the battery charging screen (the empty battery with a little red spot at the end) for a few hours now, can I reasonably expect it to come on if I wait long enough?

    Edit: It came alive!! After like 8 hours of charging it kicked on.. thanks for all the help everyone

    submitted by /u/LeagueOfDolson
    [link] [comments]

    Alarm problems

    Posted: 10 May 2018 09:06 PM PDT

    Hi. Today was my last day of school and I missed it because of my alarms. They did not go off and when I looked at my locked screen it seemed like they did and I simply snoozed them (it said "4:50minutes remaining") and then I waited again to see what would happen, looked at my lockscreen and the same thing was happened. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have my ringer on max and do not disturb on all night, but that has never been a problem before. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/peachtaems
    [link] [comments]

    4K Editing Laptop from the Previous Gen Doable?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 08:40 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    My laptop got stolen, and I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with. I'm looking at newer MB Pro's, but I saw a video with a novel idea – repurposing an old MacBook pro and upgrading it. From what I understand, the 2012-era ones are the last that can be upgraded. I don't like the lack of ports on the new machines, so it's kind of an appealing idea. But I'm trying to strike a balance between price, performance, and previous-gen compromises, and the ability to cut 4K and do some light motion graphics would be ideal. From what I've gathered, the move is either to go with 2012 with an i7 and discreet graphics, then pop in an SSD and 16GB of RAM, or get a later one (2015-2017, depending on what's the best deal).

    Alternately, there's a deal on for the next 3 hours for 12" Macbooks for $999... Tempted, but I don't want to rush into it. link

    Any suggestions? I'm not super familiar with the individual specs, era by era, and the impact on performance, so if anybody can make any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it.

    I don't need the latest and greatest, if I'm being honest, and I'd just as soon save as much money as possible without shorting myself current-tech abilities (like 4K editing). Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/luckharris
    [link] [comments]

    Mid 2009 A1304 1.86GHz Macbook Air, highest OSX it can support?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 04:35 PM PDT

    Just as the title suggests, I feel fairly confident that this particular model won't accept High Sierra, however, I'm curious if anyone might could help me figure out which version of OSX or macOS is the highest that this particular model supports? Thanks in advance!!

    submitted by /u/MichaelStewart
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro never connects to wifi first time - what gives?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 01:58 PM PDT

    Whenever I wake the Mac up, the wifi will more often than not just not connect - it'll either ask for a password even though it's already known to the Mac, or just sit there trying to connect. The only way I can fix it is to keep manually clicking on my wifi connection or turning the wifi off/on. I thought it was a hardware issue, but it's happening on two different 2011 MacBook Pros (one early 2011 and one late).

    I'm running the latest OS and everything, so why is something so simple not working?

    submitted by /u/sad_muso
    [link] [comments]

    3 Mac Device Using Handoff: Why does Mac OS act funny w/ regard to Facetime Notifications?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 01:23 PM PDT

    I get a Facetime Audio Call...and all of my 3 Apple devices ring - Desktop, iPhone, and iPad. I then "accept" a call on iPad or iPhone and the notification on my Mac OS (as I often walk around on calls), but the notification on my MacOS remains and becomes unclickable.

    This notification on my MacOS does go away after a subsequent call (from anybody...could be the same person or not) comes through and I answer or reject the call.

    Have I done something wrong here? Should I un-link my devices and then re-connect them?

    submitted by /u/black-red-yellow
    [link] [comments]

    Syncing music almost never perfect - now it's worse

    Posted: 10 May 2018 07:10 PM PDT

    I use an iPhone SE(N69AP) running 11.1.2 currently, though this happened on my old SE, versions of iOS and computers as well as iTunes versions(currently 12.7.4.80).

    The issue is that whenever I sync my music, for as long as I can remember I then have to go through and attempt to play each song to see if it will. If it pops up with an error (seemingly random) saying "This item cannot be played (-random 5 digit number here every time)" or instantly skips to the next song I have to manually delete it and resync when I've gone through all 1200 songs. I lived with this for a while but now it seems to have gotten significantly worse as of last night - I synced 600 new songs to my phone, I then resynced to see if iTunes/my phone knows of any that are broken and no word of a lie, it then tried to resync 580 of them. I then synced a few more times over a while to see if it would go down and it slowly did. Even then there were still countless songs on the phone I had to manually delete. It's obvious this problem isn't common else it would have a lot of posts on it yet this has happened across many variations of devices and versions.

    I am using a genuine apple data lightning cable and have tried on both USB 2 and USB 3. The music files are ALAC but get converted to 256kbps AAC on sync.

    If any more details are needed that I haven't thought of

    submitted by /u/MarkNuuuttt
    [link] [comments]

    help, i can’t close safari!

    Posted: 10 May 2018 06:58 PM PDT

    Hello, i clicked on this link (ik i'm retarded) and a bunch of windows keep popping up and it keeps showing a print preview of the page, i tried force closing safari and shutting down the computer however both of those won't work and i can't access safari. please help.

    submitted by /u/mstanco25
    [link] [comments]

    Late 2014 Mac Mini RAM addition?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 06:39 PM PDT

    Hey guys.

    2 years ago I was stupid (cheap) enough to buy a 4GB Ram base model of the Mac Mini. I never used it until this past week. It's a bit slow for my liking. I tried to look up ways to add more RAM but the articles from a few years ago say it's impossible.

    Has there been a workaround discovered yet? Or am I S-O-L?

    submitted by /u/suits2kill
    [link] [comments]

    OSX help

    Posted: 10 May 2018 06:29 PM PDT

    Hi all im a PC person however i was given a mac book pro for free (2010 i believe) I formatted the hard drive and then when i try to reinstall OSX mavericks (the option it gives me) it says "temporary unavailable" Now im thinking of making a bootable USB and putting high sierra on it .Now is it possible for me to A)jump from OSX moutain lion to high serria? B) is there any other way to fix this? C)is it possible to log onto a appstore on another macbook add it to my apple id and install? thanks for the help

    submitted by /u/_Speedo_
    [link] [comments]

    Audio Distortion on Macbook

    Posted: 10 May 2018 06:19 PM PDT

    Recently, my MacBook Pro has had distortion issue when having headphones plugged in. For the most part, music is fine unless it has have bass and people's voices sound very distorted. Also, if there is a loud noise the headphones go crazy (my best example is those ear rape memes) and it won't stop until I unplug them. This happens with multiple headphone sets. Any help would be great

    submitted by /u/Einko
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do with 2009 era Macbook Pro and iMac?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 06:05 PM PDT

    I have these older devices and want to get the most use out of them. Any suggestions on different OS's I can install or anything software related that I can do to it to upgrade them and make them run better? I will be upgrading ram and possibly SSD down the road but I just want to know what else I can do. I want to get into developing with swift if either devices can be used in learning that Im curious whats really needed. Thanks for the time.

    submitted by /u/sgtpepperxd
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with mplayerx, logo in the middle of the screen

    Posted: 10 May 2018 05:53 PM PDT

    I'm watching a movie and there's the app's logo stuck at the center of the screen, how do I get rid of it?

    submitted by /u/PackerBoy
    [link] [comments]

    Movies not showing up in TV app on iPhone

    Posted: 10 May 2018 05:52 PM PDT

    To put it simply, certain movies I own on iTunes will not appear in the TV app on my phone. Both are under the same accounts, and it is only 2 movies that are not appearing on the app. Anybody have this problem?

    submitted by /u/andrewvetrecin
    [link] [comments]

    [Guide] How to Fix Gray Boot Screen from Corrupted EFI Firmware Chip (BIOS / SMC) - macOS High Sierra

    Posted: 10 May 2018 05:38 PM PDT

    I'll be brief in my introduction.

    Basically when creating a Hackintosh there are several executables that modify the EFI partition of a machine in order to let the operating system boot and run properly (notably Clover). These programs are meant to only be run within a virtual machine or on a custom made Hacktintosh machine. However, a user may accidentally run the programs on an authentic Apple-made machine, compromising the partition. When this partition is compromised, major updates to the operating system or system restores can fail and the physical firmware chip will become corrupted, thus bricking the device to a point where the firmware cannot post and only a dimly-lit grey screen will be visible. If I remember correctly the startup sound will also not play. When you are in this state no keyboard combinations will work for other boot modes.

    Replacing the Corrupted EFI Firmware Chip

    1. Find your Mac's model and EMC numbers.
    2. Purchase the correctly matched / programmed chip: https://macunlocks.com/product/efi-bios-firmware-chip-for-any-apple-macbook-pro-air-imac-mac-mini-2009-2017/
      1. I recommend this over Ebay because the chips sold there can be stolen and activation locked.
    3. (OPTIONAL): If you want to save some money later, buy the parts to take your mac apart to the point where the motherboard is separated from the chassis.
    4. Once your parts arrive, take your full computer (or just the motherboard) to a mac repair shop or micro-soldering professional. I took in only the mother board and was charged $80 for the solder job.
    5. Do some research and find where the chip is located on your Mac's motherboard. Mine was located here: https://i.imgur.com/WWubnJk.jpg Share this with the professional.
    6. You should now have a working motherboard again.

    Preparing the Hard Drive

    1. You don't want to accidentally corrupt your new chip. So you'll want to wipe the HDD.
    2. If you opened your Mac in the prior steps, pull out the hard drive and connect it to your PC. If you didn't open the Mac, make sure that the professional wipes and repartitions the drive.
    3. If you don't have a readily accessible SATA cable, purchase a SATA to USB connector from Amazon.
    4. Open command prompt as an administrator and type the following:

      diskpart

      DISKPART> list

      DISKPART> select disk x (x = result # from List Disk)

      DISKPART> clean

    5. The disk should be empty.

    6. Plug the Mac hard drive back into the chassis.

    7. Put the repaired motherboard back into the chassis and screw everything together.


    Creating an Installation Drive

    1. Get on a macOS Sierra machine (either authentic or Hackintosh)..
    2. Download "Install macOS High Sierra.app".
    3. Create a macOS Installation .ISO (within terminal):

      hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/highsierra

      hdiutil create -o /tmp/HighSierraBase.cdr -size 7316m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

      hdiutil attach /tmp/HighSierraBase.cdr.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

      asr restore -source /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase

      rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

      cp -R /Volumes/highsierra/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation

      hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/

      hdiutil detach /Volumes/highsierra/

      mv /tmp/HighSierraBase.cdr.dmg /tmp/BaseSystem.dmg

      hdiutil create -o /tmp/HighSierra.cdr -size 8965m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

      hdiutil attach /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

      asr restore -source /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase

      cp /tmp/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

      hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/

      rm /tmp/BaseSystem.dmg

      hdiutil convert /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /tmp/HighSierra.iso

      mv /tmp/HighSierra.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/HighSierra.iso

      rm /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg

    4. Save the .ISO on a reliable storage device.

    5. Copy the .ISO to a separate computer (Windows PC).

    6. Plug a flash drive into the PC and reformat the drive into GPT.

    7. Open command prompt as an administrator and type the following:

      diskpart

      DISKPART> list disk

      DISKPART> select disk x (x = result # from List Disk)

      DISKPART> clean

      DISKPART> convert gpt

      DISKPART> create partition primary

    8. Download a program called TransMac, it will make the installation drive bootable (https://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm).

      1. Right click the flash drive and click "Restore with Disk Image".
      2. Change file type to "All Files" and point the directory to the .iso (the one you saved from earlier somewhere).
      3. The drive should now be bootable.

    Install macOS on the Blank Mac

    1. Plug in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the installation flash drive.
    2. Boot up the Mac and listen for the chime.
    3. Once the chime rings immediately hold down the "option" key on the keyboard.
    4. The mac should boot to a selection screen. Do not select the "installation" option. Select the other one.
    5. Make the tab bar appear at the top of the screen.
    6. Select Utilities and Disk Utility.
    7. Go to View and select View All.
    8. Go to the Mac hard drive (the highest on the list) and erase and reformat the drive.
      1. Choose macOS Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Map.
    9. Run through the installer and select the newly formatted hard drive.
    10. You should then boot into macOS High Sierra and everything should work properly.

    BONUS - How to Reset Firmware Activation Lock (6-Digit Code)

    1. Add or remove a stick of RAM. So that your configuration is different then how it was when you got locked out.
    2. Power on the Mac and immediately press and hold command-option-P-R.
    3. The system will restart with the noise; allow it to do this 3 times while still holding down the keys. On the third reset let go of the keys.
    4. The machine will now boot with a cleared password and reset PRAM/NVRAM.
    5. You can then shut down the machine and reconfigure the RAM configuration as you want it.
    6. Boot into the Mac while holding the "option" key and proceed to install macOS from a flash drive.
    submitted by /u/About7Deaths
    [link] [comments]

    How to make Apple Genius appointment without access to AppleID or phone?

    Posted: 10 May 2018 05:28 PM PDT

    I tried to make an appointment online but it asks me to verify things I physically can't because my phone is broken. I can't even access the serial number. I tried to livechat with an employee but you have to verify for that as well. It's infuriating. Does anyone know how to get ahold of an Apple employee without access to AppleID? Also, the broken Iphone is my only apple device.

    submitted by /u/Reresearch123
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 6S iCloud sign in error

    Posted: 10 May 2018 01:38 PM PDT

    Hoping someone can help me with this - feel like I've tried everything.

    My iPhone does not let me sign into iCloud. Currently I get either a verification error or no error message at all (with the same results) which then just takes me back to the iCloud login page in settings. The phone often periodically reminds me to sign in and does not do so.

    I've tried almost everything I can find online. I've restarted the phone, restored settings, restored network settings, restored the phone, checked mobile data is on, deleted the device from and signed in on the iCloud website and then tried to sign in again, cleared cookies, and tried a soft reboot. I've tried it on home WiFi, work WiFi and 4G.

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Con-67
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook vs MacBook Pro halp

    Posted: 10 May 2018 01:33 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I'm on the hunt for a MacBook. I already have a msi gaming laptop which I absolutely adore but I need a MacBook for my business.

    I need it to hold all my music, photos and videos. I also need to use it for invoicing, running Quelab and using it for a bit of day to day use/internet browsing.

    I'll be traveling with it so I was leaning towards the MacBook with 16gb RAM but saw that the Pro is more powerful and there isn't much difference in price.

    I'm pulling my hair out a bit so any advice on what I should do would be amazing. Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/Minnie_Minnie
    [link] [comments]

    Thunderbolt Firmware update needed? (MBP retina 15" mid-2014)

    Posted: 10 May 2018 08:58 AM PDT

    Hey, i have quite a weird problem, that I'll try to describe without rambling:

    • i have a MBP Retina 15", mid 2014 and an old M-Audio Firewire 1814 interface (which i use for music production).

    • My MBP was running Mavericks and the interface was running fine connected to the Thunderbolt port via a firewire to thunderbolt adaptor. It's bus powered btw, no external PSU.

    • I updated to El Capitan a few days ago then installed the updated drivers for the interface, but it no longer connects successfully to the interface.

    • I booted from an external hard drive also with a fresh El Capitan installed, to check that it wasn't just some sort of driver clash from having a lot of stuff installed on top of each other... same problem here, "interface not connected"

    • I also have a 2011 MBP 15" which works fine with the interface, using the firewire port and/or the thunderbolt port with adaptor. Also upgraded that from Mavericks to El Capitan and the new drivers on the same day with the same installers.

    • I noticed in system report that the thunderbolt firmware version is 22.1 on the 2011 MPB, and weirdly seems to be an OLDER version of firmware on the newer 2014 MBP (version 17.1).

    So by process of elimination, I'm guessing the problem could either be...:

    • El Capitan update somehow broke the thunderbolt ports, which were working fine before, or caused them to output less power maybe?

    • OR somehow the older firmware isn't playing nice with the newer OS and drivers?


    So is there a way I can update the thunderbolt firmware to version 22.1 (or 25.1 which I believe is the newest version)? No updates show in the app store, but these updates clearly exist SOMEWHERE! I've been searching and I can find a way to actually do this, except this one link, which looks like it's only for the Mid 2012 model?: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1612?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB

    P.S. I can't update to any newer OS than El Capitan coz the latest drivers for that interface don't work past El Capitan, and neither does my version of the music production software i use (Pro Tools 12.4). However, I CAN install High Sierra on the external drive when booted up onto the MBP, but would that update the firmware?

    Thanks in advance for any help or other ideas I can try! Before I have to go blow £500 on a new interface :/

    Cheers!!

    submitted by /u/cleverboxer
    [link] [comments]

    Question on iPhone ringer settings

    Posted: 10 May 2018 12:31 PM PDT

    Is there any way to achieve the following alert/normal volume combination?

    Mute OFF: - Volume buttons control ringer volume (Settings -> Sounds -> Alerts and Ringer -> Change with Buttons ON) - Vibrate on if and only if ringer volume at zero (can't figure out how to zero out ringer volume, let alone conditional vibrate)

    Mute ON: - Ringer Silent (default behavior) - Vibrate Off (Settings -> Sounds -> Vibrate on Silent OFF)

    If I can't have conditional vibration, then vibrating all the time (when Mute is OFF) is fine.

    Basically, I am coming from a flip phone and am trying to recreate the simple and effective system that pretty much all the old phones had. Far left was silent, one notch right was vibrate, and all the other notches right adjusted ringer volume.

    submitted by /u/wakerider47
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro (Mid 2014) and lg27ud88 Monitor Questions

    Posted: 10 May 2018 09:28 AM PDT

    I'm new to the Apple world. Just started a new job.

    The laptop they gave me is a Macbook Pro Mid 2014 model. They have also given me 2 lg27ud88 external monitors.

    Coming from the PC world, I didn't think this should be so difficult. I have connected 1 of the monitors to the laptop via HDMI. However, I can only have either 1920x1080 resolution, which is pretty large for such a large monitor, or 3840x2160 which is reeeeally small.

    Is there nothing in between? I have no other options in display settings. Will connecting it with an adapter via the mini displayport work differently? I do have 2 mini displayports but I don't want to purchase adapters for those to connect to the monitor if they won't do anything different. If I do buy adapters, do I get mini displayport to HDMI? or to USB-C? Does that even exist?

    I'm at a loss as to what is going on here.

    Side note, I think they were supposed to get me a newer Macbook but the IT guy is PC and doesn't know much/anything about Apple. I know how he feels.

    submitted by /u/jrhaberman
    [link] [comments]

    Switching SSDs from MB Pro to Air

    Posted: 10 May 2018 03:07 AM PDT

    About 9 months ago I upgraded my HD to a solid state in my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro. Now, due to other problems, I'm looking into purchasing a Macbook Air. Can I just swap out the Harddrives? Mine is larger than the 128GB in their models.

    submitted by /u/-iCzN-
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel