• Breaking News

    Friday, April 9, 2021

    macOS Created a tool to change between dark/light mode depending on the ambient light intensity

    macOS Created a tool to change between dark/light mode depending on the ambient light intensity


    Created a tool to change between dark/light mode depending on the ambient light intensity

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 10:44 PM PDT

    Education discount… for all?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 08:37 PM PDT

    I bought my M1 MacAir (16gb) yesterday. I was going to use my Uni email for the education discount… but the site didn't even ask for it! I did the whole purchase as a guest, and it never asked me for the required email for the education discount. Try it out!!!

    submitted by /u/Redjester666
    [link] [comments]

    How to dual-boot macOS Catalina and Manjaro Linux.

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 09:43 PM PDT

    How to dual-boot macOS Catalina and Manjaro Linux.

    I have 40 gb available in my local machine

    What is the safe way to add a new partition to make space for Manjaro distro and should i devote around 25gb for Manjaro?

    submitted by /u/elcoco_93
    [link] [comments]

    HOW TO: minimize an app by clicking its icon in the dock

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 07:46 AM PDT

    I recently fresh-upgraded to Big Sur, and in the process of getting everything setting back up, I realized I was missing a crucial feature: clicking (not option-clicking, not right-click>hiding) a dock app icon to hide it, like in the Windows taskbar. I went on a Google journey, and *everyone* was saying it was absolutely impossible without replacing your dock with another app (like uBar) entirely.

    It's not! I wasn't crazy!

    The tool to make this happen is called cDock, which enables a whole lot of dock customization. But, the option to enable click-hiding is poorly-worded.

    You want to go to: Tiles > Tile Icon Settings > Click app Tiles to enable hiding.

    I just wanted to throw this up here so the next poor shmuck googling around eventually finds this and saves themselves some time. :)

    submitted by /u/allthemolecules
    [link] [comments]

    How does one properly factory reset an M1 Mac? Does anyone know the reason it's quite convoluted to do so, according to Apple's support docs?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 05:15 PM PDT

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

    This article talks about how to reinstall macOS using Recovery.

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211983

    This article talks about how to reinstall macOS on a Mac with Apple Silicon, after previously erasing your hard drive using Disk Utility, which can cause an error when attempting to reinstall.

    Intel Mac's would let you use Recovery to wipe the disk using Disk Utility and then reinstall macOS over the internet.

    Apple Silicon Mac's apparently cannot do that.

    If you want to reinstall macOS and keep your data, just boot into Recovery and choose reinstall macOS.

    If you want to erase your drive and reinstall, you can't. Not easily at least. Why?

    To factory reset a Mac with Apple Silicon, you apparently can't use Disk Utility to erase the disk. Apparently this erases Recovery as well, which prevents the system from downloading and installing the latest macOS.

    If you did use Disk Utility and get an error when reinstalling, you have three options.

    1. Use another Mac, the Apple Configurator.app, and a USB 3 cable (NOT a Thunderbolt cable). Apple Configurator can reinstall the Recovery firmware that was erased when you used Disk Utility, so that reinstalling macOS will work again.

    2. Use Recovery Assistant, which requires extra steps that seem unnecessarily complex. You go into Recovery, and open Terminal, and type "resetpassword" to open Recovery Assistant, and then use the menu bar to Erase this Mac, and after it reboots it apparently prompts you to activate the Mac and reinstall macOS.

    3. Use Terminal to manually have the system make the temporary files and folders, download the macOS installer, and execute it.

    Why? What made it so hard to factory reset an M1 Mac?

    Is this something that can be improved and simplified in updates later? I have an M1 MBP13 and plan on giving it to my mom and getting an MBP 16 when M1X or M2 arrives on it.

    But if it's this hard to get my account off it and wipe it for her, then geez.

    I can follow the instructions, but why did Apple make it more difficult to factory reset a Mac? Unless this is just an inconvenience we have to deal with until Apple updates it?

    submitted by /u/ChaviChavChop
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro 2019 16" - Loud fan noise when connected to external monitor?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 12:07 AM PDT

    I have a macbook pro 16 inch 2019 model (specs is lowest end) and I tried connecting it to an external monitor(1080p dell) with usb-c to hdmi cable and I didn't open any apps in the background and noticed after a couple of minutes, the fan noise starts picking. Opening a youtube tab and playing a video makes the noise louder eventually.

    I tried contacting customer support and they advised me to do a SMC reset which I did but didn't work so I tried reinstalling mac big sur OS and again, it didn't work. I'm out of options.

    Is this normal or any way I could fix this?

    submitted by /u/nickywan123
    [link] [comments]

    Can I install Windows 10 on a 2010 Mac Pro?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 10:34 PM PDT

    I found a good deal for one, but I know it definately doesn't support bootcamp.

    How difficult would it be to install Windows 10, is it possible/practical?

    Where would I start?

    submitted by /u/StablerNose720
    [link] [comments]

    Any help would be appreciated. I’m not able too boot into Big Sur. Seems like my drive isn’t mounted. Is there anything that can be done?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 09:50 AM PDT

    Have a 2020 iMac? Big Sur? Then this one's for you!

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 01:36 AM PDT

    Quick rant:

    I hate how Apple calls updates "upgrades." It's not an upgrade for everyone. For some people, it's just an update and possibly a downgrade.

    Anyway...

    I have a 2020 27" iMac with 72gb of ram. It's a fast computer and a pleasure to use. But I'm on Catalina, afraid of Big Sur. I use the internet. I also use Adobe (Photoshop, Illustrator), other photo editing, sound editing (Logic), coding etc. Anyone out there with a 2020 27" iMac enjoying Big Sur? What am I missing? Discuss.
     

    TL;DR: Should I update my 2020 iMac 27" to Big Sur?
     
    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/katedances
    [link] [comments]

    Better Touch Tool SCAM

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 01:07 AM PDT

    Hi!!!

    Been testing better touch tool and is awesome. 10 days ago my trial ended and I decided to buy the lifetime subscription...

    Payment done 9 days ago, didn't received any e-mail, nothing...

    The only contact on the web page (folivora) is the one from a guy named "Andreas"... no answer...

    I´ve made a post on the forum on folivora webpage, was deleted...

    The software is only 22€... Is this guy Andreas scamming 22€??? really shitty...

    submitted by /u/nmiguel86
    [link] [comments]

    About Mac contact app groups.....

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 12:43 AM PDT

    macos not booting properly

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 12:24 AM PDT

    i have a mac mini 2018 base model

    so i recently upgraded to big sur, and i didnt really like the experience. It was kinda buggy and several apps were extremely slow. So i just reinstalled MacOS big sur as there wasn't an option to reinstall mojave. but when i reinstalled it, there was this enormous chunk of storage called: Other volumes in containers. I just couldn't remove it so i wanted to reinstall it again. (i know: stupid).

    so i erased the macintosh-hd-data drive but i accidentally also erased the macintosh-hd drive.

    now when i boot into macos there is an apple logo and then there is a folder with a question mark.

    i tried using internet recovery and it loads for a while but then it shows a globe with a caution sign.

    what do i do now? i dont have an issue to pay for my stupid mistake but how much would it cost?

    ty for any help

    submitted by /u/QuinnBanaan
    [link] [comments]

    Change sound volume by program

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 08:10 AM PDT

    Hello,

    so one thing i miss from Windows is the ability to not only change the master volume, but also the volume of each program that is running. Is there a way i can do this on MacOS? Or a utility i can install to do this? Hope someone can help me with this.

    submitted by /u/isisirisi
    [link] [comments]

    Is it just impossible to edit anything in /usr now?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 02:16 PM PDT

    I'd like to edit the units.lib file in /usr/share/misc to add a couple prefixes, and there doesn't appear to be any way to redirect units to look at another file, nor any way to edit the units.lib file, even with SIP disabled and everything. Am I missing something or am I just meant to go fuck myself?

    submitted by /u/pineapple_calzone
    [link] [comments]

    How to reset Dock glitch?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 09:34 PM PDT

    How to reset Dock glitch?

    When LaunchPad or Mission Control or 'Show Desktop' is active, the Dock decides to act as if the cursor is hovering over the Finder app (see screenshot). This is not present otherwise when using my mac. Supposedly not causing any actual problems with computer usage, but seems like a weird glitch and I'd like to make it stop. When it's happening the Dock doesn't respond at all to any mouse hovers or Genie effect until I right click an app icon, then the Dock will respond with the context menu as expected.

    https://preview.redd.it/ss1oncsvt2s61.png?width=205&format=png&auto=webp&s=461d339b1762b8b4e26efca8c6f4ffd6bbb2e753

    I've already tried these steps to resolve the glitch, but to no avail so far. Please offer suggestions to try to resolve!

    https://macreports.com/mac-dock-not-working-how-to-fix/

    • Reboot
    • Reboot in safe mode
    • Terminal: defaults delete com.apple.dock; killall Dock
    • Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist, then reboot
    • Delete ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.finder/Cache.db, then reboot

    https://www.howtogeek.com/363857/how-to-fix-your-mac%E2%80%99s-dock-when-it-gets-stuck/

    • Terminal: killAll Finder
    • Force quit Finder
    • "Relaunch" Finder

    https://www.lifewire.com/fix-launchpad-problems-in-os-x-2259966

    • Delete all ~/Library/Application Support/Dock/*.db files
    • Terminal: defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock
    submitted by /u/beth_112358
    [link] [comments]

    Sounds played on iPhone don't sync to Music.app

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 07:00 PM PDT

    Maybe it's always been like this since the death of iTunes and I'm just noticing but whenever I sync my iPhone to my iMac the played songs don't update the "last played" field in Music as it did in iTunes.

    Has this always been the case or is there some obscure setting I don't have set properly?

    Using 10.15.7 and 14.4.2.

    submitted by /u/raphaeladidas
    [link] [comments]

    AirPods window now showing up on MacBook

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 12:15 PM PDT

    a few years ago (2019) i was in class and saw my friend open his airpods and the window that shows the airpods and the battery life etc on his mac, my macbook doesnt do that for some reason, i have tried 1st gen airpods, which is what he had, airpods 2, and pro and none show the window, i know its something minor but is was just convenient to see the percentage, i have bought a copy of airbuddy but its a little rustic and jagged looking. anyway i can enable it or fix that? i have a early 2015 macbook air 13 inch (non retina), and i believe he had like a 2012 macbook air 13 inch or 2013 i could not tell.

    submitted by /u/OkMasterpiece1401
    [link] [comments]

    What is going on with Remote App?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 02:24 PM PDT

    Since the last OS update, the Remote app on my iPhone no longer allows me to access the shared library on my Mac.

    I tried following Apple's instructions, but seeing how there is no 'remote' button in Music, they are impossible to follow.

    I turned in Home Sharing on both devices, and clicked the Home Sharing option in the music app on my phone, but am still not able to acces any libraries.

    Am I the only one that's having this issue?

    submitted by /u/SubMerchant
    [link] [comments]

    Drawing monitor - Driver Help Please -Mac OS

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 05:51 PM PDT

    I have a UGEE 2150 drawing monitor that I connected to my Mac. I am running a Big Sur on my device and when I try to install the drivers I am getting an error saying "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of MacOS". The problem is that UGEE have no Support whatsoever so I'm stuck now with a 600$ monitor and I can't use it. Is there any way I can solve this?

    submitted by /u/CrushingBlowBG
    [link] [comments]

    Time machine question!

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    Could easily be a silly question but want to be extra sure and safe Does a time machine backup also store the MacOS version or just the contents of files etc

    Tempted to update my work machines but need to be sure if there are issues I can roll version backs to the exact same as before

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/WillVenn
    [link] [comments]

    Photos Library menu not showing

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 04:52 PM PDT

    Photos Library menu not showing

    Hi, on my MacBook the photos app has a "Library" section which allows you to show all photos. But on my desktop this does not exist in the photos app.

    I cant figure out how to enable it either

    https://preview.redd.it/02vqejuze1s61.png?width=254&format=png&auto=webp&s=d4be815411728f87fca38bcfcfe19ddffe1fcebb

    https://preview.redd.it/hv5iprxwe1s61.png?width=512&format=png&auto=webp&s=a1049320eedc132325f5950383ce6e8821d04e2e

    submitted by /u/A_MrBenMitchell
    [link] [comments]

    Shortcut to bring up keyboard viewer

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 12:24 PM PDT

    I often switch to a second language that requires and alternate keyboard. Mac OS works well in this regard. You can add an icon at the top and you click on that icon and a drop down menu allows you to click on "show keyboard viewer". I have been unable to find a keyboard shortcut for making the keyboard viewer appear. There is a keyboard shortcut for switching between keyboard languages but I have not found one for brining up the virtual keyboard viewer in the first place.

    Does anyone know a solution?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/allofthemblue
    [link] [comments]

    M1 Air 11.2.3 update failed

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 03:55 PM PDT

    M1 Air 11.2.3 update failed

    My M1 Macbook Air has been unable to update to MacOS 11.2.3. I always get this error.

    I have rebooted many times, tried the update many, many times with no luck. Any ideas?

    https://preview.redd.it/spzl8ztl31s61.png?width=173&format=png&auto=webp&s=d336ddb47d96011e3fd5cad15807746688c61c0d

    submitted by /u/badrabbithole
    [link] [comments]

    Samba Sharing options on external harddrive files

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 02:51 PM PDT

    Hey all! Scott he.. nevermind, the other day i was trying to set some file accessible on the network by any user (like by setting access to anyone and without password) but when y try to set change the sharing option of files that are not on the main drive of my MacBook i get just the buttons "grayed" :/ don't tell me that macos simply can't change the sharing option of files that are on a external harddrive D: or maybe it's because the harddrive is formatted in exfat? Well that doesn't make sens, i've search over the internet but cant find anyone that have the same issue than me

    I'm on a mackbook air m1 with the last macos update

    submitted by /u/Reaster-
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel