• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 21, 2021

    iPad Am I the only one who doesn't want iPad to run macOS?

    iPad Am I the only one who doesn't want iPad to run macOS?


    Am I the only one who doesn't want iPad to run macOS?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 08:34 AM PDT

    Particularly after yesterdays announcement, where the iPad Pro now has an M1 chip in it, I see so many people saying they just want the iPad to run macOS. I feel like I'm the only one who does not want this to happen.

    I love my iPad Pro. The software has not caught up to the hardware, that is true. But I'd rather they continue to expand iPadOS, and not just toss macOS on it. Make external display support better, multiple users, that is all feasible. The real thing I think Apple should focus on is pro apps. Getting the full Adobe suite, Xcode, Final Cut, a more fleshed out Microsoft Office, these would go much further to me than shoehorning macOS onto the device. If more pro apps come to iPad, and they can smooth out external monitor support, along with easier to use multitasking, and I think the device could really replace a laptop for more people. Anyone else agree, or am I on an island?

    submitted by /u/ra4oasis
    [link] [comments]

    Really liked the iPad Pro 2021, but most of all I was waiting for this...

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 04:10 PM PDT

    All Upgrades With The iPad Pro 11 2021?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 11:11 AM PDT

    • The first is obviously the M1 SOC
    • Thunderbolt in USB-C port
    • 8GB RAM instead of 6GB
    • 5G in the cellular version
    • Ultra-Wide Front-Facing Camera ? I was confused about this portion; what's improved with the cameras?

    What else? The iPad Pro is a very well-refined product at this point, so I'm not disappointed with the changes they did make (although everyone would have wanted MiniLED on the 11"), and they still add up to be slightly more than the move from the 2018 to 2020 iPad Pros. Did Apple make any other improvements on cameras, speakers, display, weight, build, AR (even software / usability), the Apple Pencil experience, etc.?

    submitted by /u/IgnoreTheKetchup
    [link] [comments]

    Another "What time of day?" Post for the iPad Pro Pre-order on April 30th

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 01:27 PM PDT

    Ok, I need some real Apple fanatics to help us out on this one. It's not confirmed anywhere what time of day the new iPad Pro will release... however, to the people who have stayed up to buy other Apple products on release in the past, what time of day were those released? I saw someone say that 8am EST was when the last 2020 iPad pro went live, I just want to see if this is a consistent time with their other products.

    This should hopefully be easy to answer for those who buy their products on release frequently.

    submitted by /u/Frankospaghetti
    [link] [comments]

    How come the dock can only fit 13 icons but when “recent apps” is on it can fit 3 more !

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 09:14 AM PDT

    An idea: macOS Lite

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 06:40 AM PDT

    In light of the newly released M1 iPad Pro's, what if Apple decided to release a 'Lite' version of macOS so that it can run macOS but with limited features? For example running one Pro app at a time, allowing for external monitor support to run more? This way they are still able to maintain sales between MacBooks and iPads? Just a thought.

    Edit: I guess it would be something like Samsung Dex, perhaps only activated when docked to MKB

    submitted by /u/strgzn
    [link] [comments]

    New iPad Pro wallpapers here:

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 10:18 PM PDT

    Is anyone else disappointed the pro 11 doesn't get the mini led screen?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 10:48 PM PDT

    That mini LED screen solves one of my major issues with my iPads. Despite being great consumption devices from a usability standpoint dark scene content is just unwatchable especially when ambient light is low. There's massive distracting grey bars above and below the content and just a an overall hard to see washed out greyness in dark content. Mini LED corrects this but $1100 is just too much to ask when I can get oled laptops for marginally more.

    submitted by /u/frylock350
    [link] [comments]

    Alright I'm almost convinced apple will allow Mac OS apps on iPad Pro.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 09:50 PM PDT

    Apple announced an iPad Pro with literally the same M1 as the rest of their Apple Silicone line-up. Back when they told devs they can easily transition from iOS to Mac by optimizing the touch controls for keyboard and mouse. I'm gonna call it now... Apple will recommend devs porting their Mac M1 apps to iPad OS by tweaking the keyboard and mouse controls to touch. What apps do you all want to see on iPad that are currently M1 optimized?? I'm hoping for some kind of DaVinci Resolve port. My 2018 iPad Pro still destroys my iMac Pro in most video encoding tasks. Nuts!! Let's thank Apple for building an architecture for what people really use their Mac's for.

    submitted by /u/0_Beast
    [link] [comments]

    Brydge unveils new MAX+ keyboard/trackpad combo for 12.9-inch iPad Pro - 9to5Mac

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 10:28 AM PDT

    DeX for iPad?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 06:06 AM PDT

    Especially with the new M1 iPad coming out, we're all wishing that the iPad did a little bit more with all that power. At the same time, we all want to keep the simplicity of iPadOS that is a joy to use.

    I've been thinking: what if iPadOS came with a macOS version that only works when connected to an external monitor? That would mean we keep the simplicity of iPadOS when we're on the go and when we sit at a desk to do work we have the power of macOS too.

    That wouldn't be as good for those of us that want to use an iPad as a macOS laptop, but I honestly don't see Apple making any moves on that direction. I'd be happy with this compromise.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/itsyales
    [link] [comments]

    Ipad pro 2021 reviews embargo

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 03:59 AM PDT

    Does the review embargo last until the iPads are shipped?

    submitted by /u/Zy212
    [link] [comments]

    Big iPad, Mini LED: why Apple’s new iPad Pro display is better and brighter

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 10:36 AM PDT

    Say macOS is added to iPads. Will there then be any reason to buy a MacBook over an iPad?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 02:07 PM PDT

    Also, wouldn't this just them two very similar devices and wouldn't Apple not really want that?

    submitted by /u/jackgap
    [link] [comments]

    To everyone who wanted to buy an ipad but waited to see if the new ipad pro is worth it, did you change your mind? or are you going to buy the new ipad pro?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 02:04 PM PDT

    basically the title^

    submitted by /u/adinxnxn
    [link] [comments]

    Rant: A typical iPad pro “workflow”

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 01:42 PM PDT

    I'm going to demonstrate a typical iPad pro "workflow". I own a 2012 MacBook pro, and a 2018 iPad pro. I have the simple task of reading PDF documents that can be found on a website, and for each copying and pasting text to a word document I create from a template. I figure the screen on my iPad is much nicer for reading so I get my iPad together with a bluetooth keyboard.

    1. I open the first PDF from the website.

    2. I have my Word template on Dropbox; I use the Word app to open it. I close the document; Word didn't remember where I just was and took my to the "homescreen" which shows me my Onedrive. How annoying.

    3. I navigate back to the dropbox folder I just had open. I try to make a copy of the template. I find that there is no option to make a copy of the document. That's no good.

    4. I switch over to Dropbox. At first I can't find the "Edit in Word" button. I remember it being an edit button with a pencil icon. After some searching I find I now I have to click share and then open with Microsoft Word. Opening and closing the document this way remembers in which folder I was. Hooray!

    5. I start reading my PDF document. The word template contains checkboxes I need to tick. I try to tick one of the checkboxes. Nothing happens. I right-click the checkbox. No option to tick the checkbox. Hmmm.

    6. I google "ipad word checkboxes". I find a support thread from 2017, a support staff member post: "checkboxes are now available in Word for Ipad!". I scroll down: user posts from up to 2021 confirm that this is a lie.

    7. I find a ticked checkbox elsewhere and paste it into my template. Not great, but I'm not giving up yet.

    8. I try selecting text with my finger. It's very clunky, I go and get myself a mouse.

    9. I double click on a word I want to select, nothing happens. Argh!

    10. As there are lots of single words I would like to select through double clicking, I try changing how I view the PDF. This time I click download instead of viewing it directly. I double click on the word I want to select. It works!

    11. I hit command C, switch to the Word document and hit command V. Nothing happens. Now what?!

    12. I figure out that the keyboard shortcuts for copying and pasting only work in some contexts. Bummer.

    13. I try opening the PDF in a different PDF viewer. This one zooms in when I double click with the mouse. Also not great.

    14. I consider the limitations: I can only copy and paste text using right clicking and clicking "copy". I can't double click text to select. I can't tick checkboxes.

    15. I consider the main tasks I need to do: selecting text, copying text, ticking checkboxes.

    16. I get my 2012 MacBook pro and work from there.

    TL;DR: many, many steps, only to end up giving up and getting my MacBook to do the task.

    I feel like every time I try to do anything that involves the slightest level of complexity, I go through the process of trying to make it work on the iPad only to give up in the end and switch to my (almost a decade old) Macbook. Just to be clear; I'm not looking for solutions here. Just wanted to get this off my chest and contribute to the growing sentiment that there is a long way to go before the iPad can be considered "pro".

    submitted by /u/WeaselBearMan
    [link] [comments]

    Logic & Final Cut on New iPads coming WWDC?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 05:16 AM PDT

    I have the 2020 iPad Pro and I've always been interested in having Logic downloaded, versus using Sidecar from the MacBook- limiting it to only a peripheral device. Will the M1 iPads finally get the premium software? Would it even be possible with the next iPad OS to have the software on the iPad Pros with A12 chips?

    submitted by /u/ToneCiampa
    [link] [comments]

    Will the XDR display still have benefits in system and SDR content?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 01:43 AM PDT

    I know it's still early days. But do you guys think that the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio will only really apply to HDR content? Or will blacks be dark across the board like in YouTube where you get letter boxing during video (which I find pretty noticeable at night on the LCD display).

    submitted by /u/SwiftiestSwifty
    [link] [comments]

    Pro tip if you’re having issues with AirDrop

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 10:00 PM PDT

    The last couple of weeks have been pretty much frustrating because I was unable to send PDFs (or any type of file) to my iPad, either from my iPhone or my MacBook. I was only able to send images, but even when my iPhone and MacBook notified me that the file was already sent, it was nowhere on my iPad.

    It took me over 2 hours on Apple Support until the only thing that worked was Restart Network Setting. That's it. Problem solved.

    I don't know if anybody else has been having this issue, or maybe it was a pretty obvious solution, but let me save you a lot of time trying to make it work.

    submitted by /u/mermaidprincess44
    [link] [comments]

    Will the IPad Mini will be redesigned or discontinued?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 10:58 PM PDT

    I really hoped for a iPad Pro kinda looking new iPad mini this keynote but unfortunately it has not been presented. So do you think they will announce one later this year or doesn't the iPad mini perform as well as did it back in the day?

    submitted by /u/DerTillosoph
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel