• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 13, 2021

    Apple Macbook Should I trade in my 2017 13 inch Pro for the M1 Air?

    Apple Macbook Should I trade in my 2017 13 inch Pro for the M1 Air?


    Should I trade in my 2017 13 inch Pro for the M1 Air?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    I have a 2017 13 inch 8GB 256GB Pro that is worth $380 of trade in credits at the Apple store. It says the battery needs servicing but it still holds a few hours of charge when fully charged. I am thinking of trading it in for a 16GB 256GB M1 Air. Do you think I should do it? I can get the base model Air for $899 via the Education store and then add on the ram for $180 more. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/godogs2018
    [link] [comments]

    SSD works fine in Mac but won’t show up in recovery mode- trying to wipe it

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 09:01 PM PDT

    I'm trying to wipe everything from my adata SSD before returning it to amazon. The SSD loads fine, but to erase it I was told I need to boot into recovery mode. The problem is it doesn't show up in disk utility when I do this. I am booting through internet (command + r).

    I believe I have big sur on this SSD vs El Capitan on my older SSD so could that be an issue? I can't load my El Capitan time machine backup because the SSD won't show up

    Is there some way I can wipe the SSD from the regular log in menu?

    submitted by /u/AnAccountForNews
    [link] [comments]

    After sending for repairs the laptop came with two marks I can't get rid off? Any idea what are those marks?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 03:33 AM PDT

    Reliable third party USB-C hub?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 08:54 PM PDT

    My wife's younger sister really wanted a macbook and only had about $500 I got on Amazon and helped her find the best one that I could for the money.

    Long story short, she only ended up with a single USB-C port and a headphone jack. At the time I told her that this would be fine because we could just get a cheap-ish dongle if she needed more ports for things.

    Now I'm on Amazon again and, of course, there's a wealth of options, but 90% of them have reviews stating that they've caused damage to macbooks specifically. I don't own/use any apple products myself, and really didn't see this coming.

    Has anyone had any experience with a reliable USB-C hub and/or sd card reader? Or are we stuck buying her one of the overpriced first party ones from Apple? Here's the model number for her macbook, if that helps: MMGL2LL/A

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Savage80HD
    [link] [comments]

    3rd party SSD works fine, but not showing up in recovery mode

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 08:54 PM PDT

    I'm trying to wipe everything from my adata SSD before returning it to amazon. The SSD loads fine, but to erase it I was told I need to boot into recovery mode. The problem is it doesn't show up in disk utility when I do this. I am booting through internet (command + r)

    Is there some way I can wipe the SSD from the regular log in menu?

    submitted by /u/AnAccountForNews
    [link] [comments]

    Small Horizontal scratch on Macbook Pro (2020) Screen

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 05:45 PM PDT

    Small Horizontal scratch on Macbook Pro (2020) Screen

    I recently noticed a small mark on my screen so I tried to rub it away and I noticed it was a small horizontal scratch on the right side of the screen. I closed the lid and the screen makes contact with the arrow keys where the scratch is. I think there was something on the arrow keys that caused this scratch to appear. I purchased this Macbook Pro on November 2020 and unfortunately didn't buy Apple care. I was wondering how I can fix this scratch or if Apple can repair it for me. Also the scratch is not noticeable when the laptop is turned off.

    https://preview.redd.it/a0r61fr28us61.jpg?width=1380&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=68dbeb6f5ff532522a6154af721a19e0bdd13218

    https://preview.redd.it/w6yy45028us61.jpg?width=1440&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=ca581a6198be79814de382b69e54fd4339101ed4

    submitted by /u/Stealthy_Ninja21
    [link] [comments]

    What to do if one key is not responding well?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 05:43 PM PDT

    My macbook air of 5 years just started to have problems with keyboards out of nowhere, there is one particular key that does not respond well with normal light presses, it now requires extra hard and longer presses which has drastically slowed down my typing because of all the correcting I have to do now, and overall I also noticed this problem with many other keys as well although much less obvious, it's really frustrating.

    What might have caused this problem so suddenly? Could it be that I smashed the keys too hard at times? Or that some liquid got in that I didn't notice?

    And most importantly, is there anything I can do to fix it? Replace the problem key? The whole keyboard? Any insight would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Comprehensive-Egg707
    [link] [comments]

    Logic board question please

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:14 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I have an old MacBook Pro that started going black and making a siren sound and I have a neurological condition and long story short I was told that it needed a new logic board.

    My question is does inserting a new logic board reset everything back to factory? Meaning I've done a bunch of work in terminal to help with my neurological condition and now I'm wondering if I'm basically going to have to redo everything which is just gonna make me sicker — thank you for your help!

    submitted by /u/BlondieTVJunkie
    [link] [comments]

    Help buying my first MacBook Laptop?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 07:15 AM PDT

    So, I'm finally venturing out into purchasing a MacBook for personal use after my windows laptop crashed and burned. I've got a gentleman here selling the 2017 model, and he's asking a reasonable price (550). I have never bought a MacBook before, just used them at work and I want to make sure I don't get scammed. What should I be looking for? What tests should I run? What information should I need? I really don't want to buy a very expensive paperweight. I can drop some pictures of the body in the comments if anyone is interested or if it would help. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MildlyOrganic
    [link] [comments]

    Should I just ask for a battery replacement instead of a keyboard replacement for my out-of-warranty Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 12:54 PM PDT

    I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) A1502. Awhile ago, I got fed up with the amount of dust in my laptop keys. Compressed air wasn't working so I used a vacuum nozzle. About a week or so later a few of my keys started becoming unresponsive and I would have to press down on them hard to get them to work, pressing "i" once would turn into "iiiiiiiii". After awhile, the T, I, G, and J keys completely stopped working. R works, but I have to press it twice. I put it off for awhile and used a USB keyboard, but I'm looking into getting it repaired soon.

    I'm also due for a new battery, and for my model the whole top case would be replaced which includes the keyboard. I saw that keyboard replacements specifically can be about $300 to $750 (?). Battery replacement is just $200. I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone and just go in and ask for a battery replacement and that would take care of everything, but I just wanted to double-check. I saw that some issues with keyboards can run deeper than just the keyboard itself and have to do with the logic board, depending on what the root of the keyboard issue is. If it's logic board damage, then I assume if I only got the top case replaced it might not fix the issue. I'm not 100% sure if it was because of the vacuum, but I haven't gotten any liquid on my keyboard so it's the only thing I can think of.

    Does the top case include the logic board? Should I take it in for a battery replacement and see if it fixes the issue and see it it works afterwards, or mention the keyboard issue?

    submitted by /u/beyondtheleaves
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Air M1: Second Monitor Pixel Glitch / Flicker

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 09:59 AM PDT

    usb-c hub or bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 09:33 AM PDT

    Hello so I have a two port MacBook Pro and I need 4 usb 3.0 ports to plug my external ssd, mouse, keyboard and my microphone. I currently use a hub with 4 usb 3.0 ports but as soon as I plug my external ssd everything starts to glitch. So you have any recommendations for hubs that also have a usb-c charger so it can power the hub so my usb devices work and directly charge my mac? Do you think I should just buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

    It doesn't have to be usb 3.0 just the normal usb type A

    submitted by /u/Xhanyul
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi in air works only with mobile hot spot

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 09:09 AM PDT

    I had keyboard issues in my macbook air 2017 model. Had to replace keyboard completely. Done. After that, wifi is not working properly. Critical point here is - wifi networks that are part of mobile hotspots/tethering are working fine. Router/dongle based wifi not working. I tried all solutions given in top 10 google searches. Nothing works. I suspect if it's an issue that was a side effects when keyboard was replaced. But if so, none of the networks should get connected. It's very pathetic and makes me worry why I bought this. Air was perfect till 1 year 2 months and started to behave awkward after that.

    Missed this: I reinstalled the OS again(Catalina) to see if it's some settings issue. Still same pattern persists.

    Any help on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/InfiniteFun8693
    [link] [comments]

    Refursbished Macbook Air M1, used Keyboard?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 03:38 AM PDT

    Please help with this difficult decision guys

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 07:13 AM PDT

    A family member works at Apple and is helping me get a new MacBook at a discount. Problem is, they are retiring from the job in one month.

    Why is this a problem? Because ideally I was waiting for the new 16" M1 chip MacBook Pro, which looks like it isn't coming out until Q3.

    If I want a discounted laptop, I need to buy whatever is on the market right now, before he leaves. Do I really want to just forget about the M1 though?

    Im not an expert on the subject, so I bring this question to you. Which option would you go with?

    1. The current intel MacBook Pro at 25% off Or
    2. Wait for the M1 MacBook Pro and pay full price

    The only performance-intensive things I really do is occasional video editing about once or twice a month on FCP. It's not my profession or anything, just a hobby.

    Is the M1 chip really THAT much better? Better enough to sacrifice a discount at 1/4th the price?

    submitted by /u/Rowenofpts
    [link] [comments]

    Someone please help me

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:32 AM PDT

    How do I input an HDMI signal into my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:31 AM PDT

    Trying to record some old VHS tapes onto my Mac. I have a HDMI out vcr player that works just fine.

    submitted by /u/ALMOSTM
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro 16 inch PINHOLE cracks

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:07 AM PDT

    Ranting, Mods remove if not appropriate, sorry

    I am so sad and mad all at once,

    Essentially, my MacBook, which I rarely open, now has multiple mini pinhole cracks that I have no clue where it could have come from. this LCD panel is super fucking weak. It is otherwise IMMACULATE and I am LIVID because I treat this thing like my first born child. I usually use the MacBook in clamshell mode, as I like to use multiple monitors for my audio work, and I had to take it out briefly to transfer some files to a friend, but holy fucking shit, there are CRACKS. It's only been what like, 6 months since I bought this thing and it's already falling apart on me.

    No, I can't see if I don't actually look for it, but as a perfectionist and someone that's super anal about his equipment, I am mad that despite my efforts, it was for naught. I've spent over 100 dollars in protecting this thing, from MacBook cases, keyboard covers, wipes, etc etc.

    -Rant Over-

    submitted by /u/SKSword
    [link] [comments]

    PLEASE HELP

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:46 AM PDT

    Hi everyone! I'm studying civil engineering at a university in Greece and one of the programs we use is Matlab. My problem, though, is that they gave us the ISO file of Matlab (with license etc) and when I download it I can't mount it on the new M1 MacBook Pro. How can I install iso files on the silicon Macs?

    When I open the file the Matlab icon flashes on the dock for a couple of seconds but then it just disappears.

    How do I fix that?

    ... ... ... ... ...

    I also downloaded parallels to try to bypass the problem but it does not work.

    Thank you for reading this!

    submitted by /u/Christos_007
    [link] [comments]

    How to wipe SSD before returning (from MBP)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:34 AM PDT

    I bought an Adata SSD from amazon, but am going to return it. I had already loaded my Macbook Pro backup onto it, so all my stuff is on it. I don't think I have anything that important on it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I read this article on how to wipe an SSD, which states that " you don't need to securely erase your Mac's SSD: With an SSD drive, Secure Erase and Erasing Free Space are not available in Disk Utility. These options are not needed for an SSD drive because a standard erase makes it difficult to recover data from an SSD."

    It then doesn't describe what a standard erase is. But then some people on reddit have said a standard erase isn't enough. How do I do a standard erase? and is that truly enough?

    submitted by /u/AnAccountForNews
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing the right laptop

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 04:24 AM PDT

    Hi all, which configuration is better between those 2 (with the pro costing 200 less, so it's cheaper, than the air):

    -MacBook air 2020 with Intel i5 10th generation processor, 16gb of RAM, 512gb storage

    -MacBook pro 2020 with Intel i5 8th generation processor, 8gb of RAM, 256gb storage

    Thanks!

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/Yam20-7
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel