• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 6, 2021

    macOS Are we ready to discuss what happened to Mac’s Boot Times yet?

    macOS Are we ready to discuss what happened to Mac’s Boot Times yet?


    Are we ready to discuss what happened to Mac’s Boot Times yet?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 12:58 PM PST

    Back when OS X was still a thing, you could power up your machine and be ready to go within seconds (provided you didn't have a ton of startup apps plaguing your account). Nowadays, you get the pleasure of watching a loading bar even without startup apps on your account. I used to lament Windows for that level of performance, now I envy it. Specifically Windows 10 which boots quickly on the same Mac that boots it's own OS slowly! This is wrong and it makes me feel uneasy every time I remember/experience this. Bring back the instantaneous boots!

    Have the M1's fixed this?

    submitted by /u/tracer_21
    [link] [comments]

    My review about the MacBook Pro 13" M1

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 05:57 AM PST

    I'm a student and doing mostly programming on my laptop and I just want to say, for those of you who are thinking about upgrading to a M1, do it! I had a MBP 13" 2020 base model before the M1. I can say that the M1 is so much better, in terms of speed, battery life, GPU and the rest.

    My previous MBP was an apache helicopter, fans going full speed when doing nothing. I had to download Turbo Boost Switcher to keep the fans down. With the M1 I was playing Borderlands 2 on 900p resolution and the fans didn't even kick in!

    The battery is also great! My previous model lasted 4/5 hours. But the M1 lasted for like 13 hours (I tested borderlands 2 and schoolwork). Not the mention when I received the laptop it came with 60% charged. So 13 hours for 60%.

    If you guys have any questions regarding the laptop, feel free to ask.

    English is not my main language so please bear with me with the spelling.

    Edit: Thanks for my first awards

    submitted by /u/keerbski1851
    [link] [comments]

    A MacOS Big Sur theme for Firefox

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 01:59 PM PST

    beginner how do resolve this

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 09:55 PM PST

    Netflix on Chrome Tip

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 08:18 AM PST

    I was today years old when I found out about this:

    Netflix does NOT allow for anything greater than 720p on Chrome (or any other Chromium based browser, such as Edge or Brave) or Firefox on macOS (unsure about windows), regardless of your subscription. You're getting substandard quality especially if you're paying for the Ultra HD plan.

    Best way around this is to use Safari just for Netflix even if you don't like Safari. Netflix allows up to 4k playback when connected to a 4k monitor and up to 1080p when using only the internal display on Safari.

    Source > under the Netflix Features toggle.

    submitted by /u/biologystudent123
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur Update

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 11:15 PM PST

    So I updated my Macbook to the new update and after it was done updating it freed up around 50 gb of disk space. Has this happened to anyone else? I am confused as to how this happened.

    submitted by /u/wxsss
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Air M1 after a month!

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 07:54 PM PST

    So I owned Intel MBP 13 inch 2019 (not the base model but the one with 2.4 GHz and 4 Thunderbolt Ports) and switched to M1 Macbook Air. Surely, it feels like a downgrade considering the Air is fanless, doesn't feature that touch bar (even though I was always annoyed by it).

    The very first thing I noticed was the amazing battery life. I usually play around a lot with my content and I frequently use Finalcut and Affinity so obviously some sort of rendering is involved in my daily routine. I hardly use to get over 4 hours on the Intel but I sometimes get bewildered by how they've managed so well that it really sips the battery on M1. For the last month, I've never come down to a point where the bar goes red before I settle down and put it back on charge.

    The second this, obviously, was CPU throttling due to high temps even when doing things like duplicate finder on MS Excel. For the last one month, there's only been once that I actually felt it getting warm! And it is super astonishing for the fact that this machine runs without fans.

    Even 8GB feels enough! I am not saying that that you should go for 8GB model but I just picked the base model and I somehow have noticed that the same 8GB feels enough on this M1 whereas it used to slow things down especially when running Chrome alongside other productivity apps. May be its just me but everything feels smooth on this one.

    I believe once more and more apps start supporting the M1, it surely be a nail in the coffin for the Intel-based Macbooks.

    submitted by /u/kaitlynfranczek
    [link] [comments]

    how to solve "clang: error: unsupported option '-fopenmp'"

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 01:04 AM PST

    Hello all, i am trying to install a de novo rna sequencer via terminal. But this error occurs, any idea how to solve it? step by step please.. Thanks in advance!!

    tried this route :

    brew install libomp

    clang -Xpreprocessor -fopenmp -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -lomp main.c -o main

    but last command produces this error : clang: error: no such file or directory: 'main.c'

    submitted by /u/polaxgr
    [link] [comments]

    MACBOOK PRO 2013 Discrete Graphics Card file name? Urgent!

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 11:22 PM PST

    This is the last thing I need to successfully restart this shitty Mac. I watched a video on the 2011 Mac but the discrete GPU file names are different, so I can't complete the process.

    Mv /system/library/extensions/(discrete GPU file name).kext /systems/library/extensions-off

    submitted by /u/YaBoiMirakek
    [link] [comments]

    WiFi Bluetooth not working with BigSur 11.1

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 11:05 PM PST

    Friends, any solution to this WiFi problem. I have already reinstalled 11.1 as advised by apple support. Cleared NVRAm and did tests. Now they are saying to check Airport Bluetooth Card chip on MacBook Air 2017.

    However, many are saying that it's due to new OS Big Sur. Now I am using USB to Ethernet adapter to connect.

    Any idea, how to resolve this issue? My MacBook doesn't show WiFI adapter

    submitted by /u/General-Chard-2944
    [link] [comments]

    Automator no longer working correctly

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 06:44 PM PST

    Was wondering if anyone could help me. I had two Automator actions I use for work. I do a lot of video editing so I have two actions based on right clicking on folders.

    One basically is "get folder contents > move to location X"

    Another will read through sub folders and pull x amount of videos into a separate location.

    Ever since updating to Big Sur I get various errors on both of these actions and they don't work.

    The Error is : "[__NSFrozenArrayM removeObjectAtIndex:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fe8be57b940"

    I even recreated the quick action workflow and it doesn't work.

    I went to grant full disk access in System Preferences but neither scripts nor automator show up as options.

    Any suggestions? Did apple just abandon Automator?

    submitted by /u/BlackStarCorona
    [link] [comments]

    dual display

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 10:05 PM PST

    could i run one display to mirror and one as a extra on a m1 mac?

    submitted by /u/noodmaster69420
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to do end-to-end encryption (customer managed keys) for iCloud backups of macOS system?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 10:03 PM PST

    Hi folks,

    What's the best way to do end-to-end encryption for backups onto iCloud Drive? I understand they originally planned end-to-end encryption, but heard they were pressured by gov't to cancel it.

    Today, only a few services are end-to-end encryption: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303 and backups are not one of them. I understand Box and a few other enterprise subscriptions offer this, but looking for a solution using iCloud Drive. Most likely a DIY solution involving rclone but wanted to see what was already out there? Many thanks.

    submitted by /u/omegaprime777
    [link] [comments]

    Just updated to Big Sur. How do I get night shift to work / apply onto my external monitors ?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 09:53 PM PST

    I also got these Samsung monitors plugged in and ready to rock, except its night time and they're screaming at me. I would love it if 'night shift' extended to these monitors so I wouldn't have to constantly fumble with the settings. My old version of OS would just extend the settings to the external.

    Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it ? Flux won't work on the externals either. I'm using Displaylink docking station and mid 2014 mb pro. One of the monitors is connected VGA -> HDMI and one is straight VGA.

    submitted by /u/TecnoPope
    [link] [comments]

    So both my AirPods Pro and AirPods Max started automatically switching perfectly between my iPhone and MacBook this morning.

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 12:50 PM PST

    No update no nothing but it's fixed now :D Before they only went from my MacBook to my iPhone, but not back.

    submitted by /u/CoolStoryLOL
    [link] [comments]

    Homebrew Adobe-creative-cloud

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 05:48 PM PST

    Hi all, just wondering what this package actually installs, is it just the creative cloud desktop app? Or will it actually install specific apps like photoshop etc; probably stupid question but just curious

    submitted by /u/GuyTorbet
    [link] [comments]

    How to turn of discrete GPU 2013 MBP?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 08:58 PM PST

    Gfx changer doesn't work anymore. Not sure how to fix my laptop. It's otherwise bricked if I can't find a way to deactivate this stupid GPU.

    submitted by /u/YaBoiMirakek
    [link] [comments]

    Mac Os Big Sur won't work with Fire Alpaca drawing software

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 08:44 PM PST

    Mac Os Big Sur won't work with Fire Alpaca drawing software

    So ive been using FireAlpaca for about 3 years now, but I haven't been using their QR code image save feature for AlpacaGET until about a year ago.

    I bought a Macbook Air (2020) in September and before I updated to their new update, Big Sur, I was able to use the QR code feature, as well as have those pesky ads that FA has when you open the program. after I installed the new update for MacOS though, I noticed that the program does not generate a new QR code for me anymore when I request one for my digital work. neither do the ads show when I open the program.

    I tried reaching out to FA through their bug report option, but it didn't really help, as well as trying to reach out to them on Twitter. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem, or if any experts could help me figure out if this is either an app issue or an Apple issue.

    note: I also downloaded Bluestacks, another application that lets me play among us on the computer and it too has the same issue with not loading.

    help is greatly appreciated!

    https://preview.redd.it/j8cj8mw47n961.png?width=2880&format=png&auto=webp&s=84d3c0683b17d2868934280f69b0f9fd8d8a3273

    submitted by /u/Beebuttcheek__
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur 11.1: cannot login to Apple ID / iCloud (no errors displayed)

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 12:55 PM PST

    Hi,

    I've searched into this subreddit and on Google this is the only match: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252052369

    I've upgraded a 2013 MacBook Air to Big Sur and the installation went fine. Then, macOS started to ask icloud password repeatedly, at a point that I've decided to logout from iCloud and login again in an attempt to fix.

    When I tried to login again, it asked for username, then password, then was back again to the login screen asking for username without errors.

    So I went to Apple Account, removed the MacBook Air from registered devices and tried again. Same result as before, except that macOS asked for 2FA this time.

    The MacBook was registered again in the Apple Account, so I think the login succeeds, but the problem is elsewhere.

    There are other password related issues, like hotmail password. If I try to add icloud from account, I got the same results. Everything succeeds, but the account is not there.

    Anyone on the beta knows if this has been fixed or knows exactly what to do to fix?

    submitted by /u/frivaro
    [link] [comments]

    Making old Aqua theme in Catalina, any other suggestions?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 06:37 AM PST

    macos arcade game switched to ios display mode after airplay

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 07:03 PM PST

    I started playing the Sneaky Sasquatch game from Apple Arcade on my Apple TV HD (4th Gen). It was great. I continued playing on my macOS MBP 13" (2020) and it worked great on the LG Ultrawide (model 34WL850)...until I used airplay to mirror my mac on the TV. After that, the game switched to an iOS display mode as if it were scaled to the size of a phone on the screen. It won't change back after trying everything including changing resolution, re-connecting/disconnecting to airplay on the Apple TV and iPad, deleting the game from the applications folder (emptying trash) and re-installing from App Store. I believe deleting my 50 days game play and with all iCloud data would not solve the problem and that it is a setting somewhere on the mac.

    How do macOS applications work for graphics? Are Apple Arcade games different? Which file (with absolute path) are these settings stored in and how do I modify it to return back to the intended macOS screen resolution to play it?

    submitted by /u/conman253
    [link] [comments]

    My 2017 iMac 27" restarts automatically out of nowhere because of my headphones

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 06:56 PM PST

    My 2017 iMac 27" restarts automatically out of nowhere because of my headphones

    Recently a month or two ago my iMac restarting out of nowhere and says "your computer restarted because of a problem". I've noticed it always happened right after my microphone from my blutooth headphone stops working and I'm on video call all the time and the people can't hear me and as soon as I try to disconnect my headphone it restarts. It always happened right after my headphone's microphone stopped working but audio was fine I could hear everything, I go and click on "disconnect" on the blutooth tab and it restarts, or even when I just turn them off manually. The last time that happened was today and I waited a long time and then tried just turning of my headphones (Sennheiser PXC 550-II) and boom my computer just restarted, so my intuition says it could be the headphones messing with it or just the cherry on top of something else, so to my fellow nerds if you could help me out I've attached the "problem report" that always shows up after restarting, it would mean a lot.

    https://preview.redd.it/cuutnxbrmm961.jpg?width=2940&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=ae52c0584d7261cb61a16c6e8134896ff925a5f6

    https://preview.redd.it/99slblf2mm961.jpg?width=2108&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=4a25bb0c70f2075ebda0a21665667146fadd3ca1

    https://preview.redd.it/y7lvnvy3mm961.jpg?width=1380&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=94a8b7d45f8301c21c76931d30c3fff3d5e606da

    https://preview.redd.it/3kl49qi4mm961.jpg?width=1776&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=87f83fce6603457d0f4869c50c18a774c48e02e7

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/aqib963
    [link] [comments]

    System preferences won't let me reset Apple ID password

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 06:51 PM PST

    I'm trying to change my Apple ID password since I forgot it, and in order to do so my system preferences prompts me to enter the password I use to log into my Mac. No matter how many times I've entered my password, it doesn't work. I even logged out and logged back in a couple times just to make sure the password was right. I also tried changing the password, and it still doesn't work. I've restarted my computer, and made sure the only other user I have on this computer was logged out.

    If I try to change something else in my system preferences, like user and groups, typing my password to unlock settings works fine. It's just when I get prompted when I'm trying to change my Apple ID password. Am I missing something?

    It's a Mid-2012 MBP running Catalina 10.15.7.

    submitted by /u/spunkymnky
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel