• Breaking News

    Friday, June 26, 2020

    macOS The newest Safari Technology Preview on Catalina has a lot of the Big Sur things integrated - https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/

    macOS The newest Safari Technology Preview on Catalina has a lot of the Big Sur things integrated - https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/


    The newest Safari Technology Preview on Catalina has a lot of the Big Sur things integrated - https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 10:09 PM PDT

    Steve Jobs predicted OSX would be ending this year

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 02:43 PM PDT

    I was watching the PPC to Intel transition video from 2005. At 1:01 Steve Jobs mentions that Mac OSX has set Apple up for the next 20 years. OSX launched March 2001. macOS 11 will probably launch in October 2020, which is a little over 19.5 years later

    submitted by /u/stuckinle2012
    [link] [comments]

    Remade some icons to look consistent as the default MacOS Big Sur ones and this was the result!

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    The bridge on the Big Sur wallpaper is the first manmade object on a macOS default wallpaper

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 05:16 AM PDT

    System will never be the same

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    App that show Spotify song name & control on Menu Bar?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    Can anyone suggest me an app like that? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Cayenne999
    [link] [comments]

    Seeing the new hideous QuickTime icon, I believe Apple missed a chance to revive this old beauty.

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 08:00 AM PDT

    Choppy Dock and Window Drag on Macbook Pro 15" 2017

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 08:37 PM PDT

    Choppy Dock and Window Drag on Macbook Pro 15" 2017

    I have almost a 3-year-old Macbook Pro on which I've been playing games, editing videos/ rendering which has served me well over those past years.

    But a few months ago, things started to change. That was when one day I turned on my game (CS GO) and started to experience lag while moving the mouse.

    That's when I started to experience visual choppiness/lag on my desktop. When I navigate my cursor to the dock, it seems to have a choppy magnifying effect too, and same with dragging the window.

    I am not sure if the solution is simple as reinstalling the macOS / resetting the RAM or needs a full motherboard replacement. Broke my bank while getting this, I didn't expect it to last just 3 years. Anyone experienced this and have a solution?

    Mac Specs

    MacPro 15" 2017 w TouchBar

    3.1GHz QCore i7

    16GB RAM

    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536MB

    Radeon Pro 560 4GB

    Preview:

    https://giphy.com/gifs/macpro-clzzSEfGIKxTudysbc

    Note: The GIF may have exaggerated the choppiness a bit.

    submitted by /u/saugrg
    [link] [comments]

    Since Apple TV can now do YouTube in 4K, does this means VP9 is coming to MacOS as well?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 01:52 AM PDT

    Curious about this.

    If anyone has info and this (source?) - would be great!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bitcoingfevermania
    [link] [comments]

    How do I turn off Night Shift forever?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    I do not like night shift. I'd rather have the blue light. Toggling the settings does not disable it. I have the schedule off and the box is unchecked. I've also rebooted. 2019 MacBook Air running Catalina 10.15.5.

    Does anyone know how to fully disable it?

    submitted by /u/spacewizardprime
    [link] [comments]

    Did Apple fix the HDR bug with Catalina 10.15.5?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 01:34 AM PDT

    Hi everyone. This is question for those who plug their computer to a 4K HDR external screen. Did Apple fix the issue with the latest version of Catalina?

    I bought a Mac Mini recently but downgraded to Mojave because of that.

    Also, is Catalina finally stable? I've heard so many horror stories, I'm really skeptical about upgrading because of that.

    Thanks

    Sources:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251218978
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/fotxpl/does_anyone_have_issueweird_external_display/

    submitted by /u/CarloEspresso
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Big Sur screenshots and thoughts.

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 08:09 AM PDT

    macOS Big Sur screenshots and thoughts.

    I've been using the developer beta for a day now, and I'd like to share some things about it. First, though the UI has changed quite a bit, I'm still a bit underwhelmed with the change. Perhaps it's a good thing that it isn't very noticeable as it takes no time at all to adjust; however, I do wish that there were more new things since it's supposed to be a huge update. It may be because I use more third-party applications than Apple applications, so I don't really notice the UI changes, which are not present in the third-party apps. However, I do really like what Apple did change, and I think that almost all, if not all of, the changes are great. Attached are some screenshots of new things.

    The wallpaper.

    Desktop (For some reason many people are only showing the other wallpaper, so I decided to show this one).

    New spotlight menu

    A new menu (Apple seems to have gone with more rounded edges with everything).

    The desktop images.

    Preview open (requested by commenter)

    submitted by /u/AwesomestOwl
    [link] [comments]

    Help. I stupildy opened a questionable dmg file and put it in the app lists, at the time i thought it was an adobe app. Before running it, i deleted it and scanned using malwarebytes; it said i was safe. Am I?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 09:30 PM PDT

    Windows Bootcamp Flash drive needed after installation

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    After I install windows 10 with bootcamp and a flash drive, do i need that flash drive again? or can i use it for other things now?

    submitted by /u/Icakwesta
    [link] [comments]

    macOS High Sierra on an external SSD via USB 2.0

    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 12:11 AM PDT

    I have an iMac 27" (2011) with USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt ports.

    The HDD is broken so I installed macOS High Sierra in a cheap USB 2.0 stick but it takes full minutes to open folders, etc.

    Will an external SSD disk connected via USB 2.0 work adequately?

    I don't care about it being fast as long as it can browse the web and open folders without it being excruciatingly slow.

    It's a family computer destined only for web browsing.

    I could buy a Thunderbolt SSD but it's triple the cost.

    submitted by /u/ashesnroses
    [link] [comments]

    You can (finally) remove Spotlight from the Menu Bar without a third party app

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 11:31 AM PDT

    You can (finally) remove Spotlight from the Menu Bar without a third party app

    Big Sur dev beta: I simply held Command and dragged that magnifying glass sucker to the desktop (like any sane person would do), and "woosh" it went away!...

    ...only problem is there doesn't seem to be a way to put it back as of now 😂

    https://preview.redd.it/3fwbdb7mn3751.png?width=576&format=png&auto=webp&s=c9003137d79a6ffab0821196147aaac039a19dc3

    submitted by /u/JayIsMeep
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on Disk-O (by Mail.ru) vs CloudMounter

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 11:21 PM PDT

    Been fiddling with CloudMounter vs Disk-O, and while both seem to do a pretty good job of mounting cloud drives in the Finder, drives mounted in CloudMounter doesn't provide thumbnails of image files, but on the other hand Disk-O is owned by Mail.ru, which makes me uncomfortable about providing it even a small foothold into my private cloud drives. I know a company being based in the US = privacy concerns too, vis a vis Patriot Act and similar nonsense, but a company based in Russia seems like it's almost guaranteed to be a security risk. Then again, Disk-O is in the App Store, so Apple seems OK with it. And Disk-O has the advantage of allowing unlimited connections in the free version (although I should probably find that suspect too), charging only if you want to upload more than 10 files a day (which I don't).

    Anybody with more security savvy want to chime in on the relative safety of Disk-O?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/100WattWalrus
    [link] [comments]

    Does the Battery health management feature actually do anything?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 11:16 PM PDT

    It's doing nothing for me on my 16" MBP. I typically have it plugged into the charger and the battery is always at 100%. I thought it would limit it to 90%?

    Also is there a battery feature in Big Sur that limits the battery charge, e.g. to 90%, since Catalina doesn't do it?

    submitted by /u/ShotgunJed
    [link] [comments]

    Backup / Sync files to Google Drive

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 11:11 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Wondering if someone can point me in the direction of some software that I can sync a folder or drive on my Mac to a Google drive folder, or a way to easily upload a bulk amount of data reliably.

    I have about 6TB worth of stuff, so doing it through chrome/safari is not worthwhile.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Andy_snape87
    [link] [comments]

    What’s New in the user interface in macOS 11

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    I can’t backup my iPhone... Mac OS Catalina

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 11:07 PM PDT

    High Sierra strange window remnants on desktop

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    Will iOS/iPadOS apps work on Intel Macs running Big Sur or higher, or is that exclusive to Apple Silicon?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    [advice needed] Mac OS version and formatting advice needed

    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    Hi All, long time listener, First time Caller.

    I'm looking to migrate shortly, my Mac from my Venerable older MacBook Pro 7,1 (C2D/8GB ram, dual Hdds, 10.11.6) to a slightly newer A1347 Mac Mini I managed to pick up cheap and max out the specs on (16GB ram/dual 2TB SSDs). (need to maintain rework ability)

    the mini is back together but I have not installed an OS yet, I wanted to seek some advice for clarity. I seem to recall there's going to be a bunch of shifty jelly and Bjango apps that I'll have to update but that's post install. This OS image has been in place upgraded since 10.5 off the top of my head.

    On the Mini I'm aiming to use 10.13 (High Sierra) as a starting point as that still uses HFS+ by default. I'm very concerned about data loss (don't laugh) as this unit is kinda the 24/7 nerve centre of my life.

    My research on the matter indicates I will run into a few issues and at this point it seems I should update to High Sierra on the mini initially for the system transfer:

    1) OS X formatting default has changed to APFS from HFS+ but in some versions I can still force HFS+. I am unclear if I can do a system transfer from one to the other if they are formatted with the opposing format. I'm aware that APFS has been more optimized for SSDs but still lacks basic functionality like SMART Status checking and full feature standard support.

    2) I understand its encouraged if running SSDs to use APFS but i've no experience with it yet.

    3) more importantly what features of the OS am I losing or going to find compromised compared to 10.11.6? I really need Mail to be better.

    4) are there version issues I will run into if I take this route?

    5) what's the optimal route for upgrade, I'm keen to get up to current release, providing I can get across some of the methodology changes (ie iTunes library/backups and Photos changing functionality)

    6) what should I be nuking ahead of the move on the older unit to avoid conflicts and un-deletable old files that sit there taking up space (like post rosetta software).

    Thanks for your advice, JabberPocky Mods - please review and advise if this should be shifted to another subreddit if it's not in the right spot. EDITED for spelling

    submitted by /u/JabberPocky
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel