• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 9, 2020

    macOS What's going on here? Why is time machine doing this? can anyone explain, please?

    macOS What's going on here? Why is time machine doing this? can anyone explain, please?


    What's going on here? Why is time machine doing this? can anyone explain, please?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 10:51 AM PST

    Is Catalina stable yet

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:38 PM PST

    Any major bugs left? MacBook 12 inch 2017

    submitted by /u/b_holden19
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to have documents folder in iCloud Drive but desktop folder only on your Mac?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:03 PM PST

    The files on my desktop tend to be large files and I have limited iCloud space That tends to fill up quickly as a result. Any one know of any way to remove just the desktop folder from iCloud Drive?

    submitted by /u/Kingchubs
    [link] [comments]

    Mot sure what's happening, Mac does this on startup then resets, is there a fix?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:53 AM PST

    Downgrade from Catalina to high sierra

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 02:26 AM PST

    Hi, My MacBook Pro 2017 is actually running macOS Catalina, it runs very smoothly, no problem with with this version, but I recently bought Parallels 13 for a really great price on sales... but I discovered that this version is not compatible with Catalina, So is it interesting to downgrade to High Sierra (Not Mojave, I don't like this version especially for battery draining...).

    I'm using also using FCPX. So I would like to know if FCPX performances will be noticeably lower (because of going back to OpenCL) ?

    submitted by /u/Luca03200
    [link] [comments]

    Bootcamp Assistant for external Windows 10 installation

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 01:28 AM PST

    Dear all

    I'm (desperately) trying to install Windows on a brand new pc.

    Only problem is: the USB in which I created the bootable device (with bootcamp assistant (BCA)) is formatted as exFAT by BCA. As I might understood, this format is not the right one to boot from USB to install windows 10 on the other computer.

    How can I have it formatted to FAT?

    Many thanks

    luca

    ---

    I have already tried to format with disk utility but BCA changes the format to exFAT during installation

    ---

    submitted by /u/Lucanepa
    [link] [comments]

    Sync "Do not disturb" between mac and iPhone?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 01:27 AM PST

    Can I do that? I tried searching it but nothing found.

    submitted by /u/adhamfarrag
    [link] [comments]

    Increasing Bootcamp partition size without losing Windows

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 09:30 PM PST

    I'm trying to increase my Bootcamp partition without losing all of Windows. However, whenever I try to add a partition in Disk Utility the largest partition I can make is under 3gb despite having plenty of free space. Any ideas why this is happening?

    submitted by /u/Timothydenomie
    [link] [comments]

    Any software for scanning photos for pet faces?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:01 PM PST

    I know its a very long shot, but I have a couple of bunnies and I am trying to add their faces to the photos I have of them in iCloud photos. Trouble is, I have about five thousand photos of them, and it is very very time consuming. I don't suppose there's any software out there that would help me with the task?

    submitted by /u/gravity_squirrel
    [link] [comments]

    Can't use Apple Pay on my MacBook Pro anymore

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 10:16 AM PST

    I have a 13" MacBook Pro from 2018, and I can't use Apple Pay anymore. When I go to Apple Pay settings, it says the security settings have changed and Apple Pay has been, therefore, disabled.

    I tried going into recovery mode to change the security settings to maximum but it still doesn't let me use it. Any idea?

    submitted by /u/Spails
    [link] [comments]

    OnyX vs Cocktail

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:25 PM PST

    I find it helpful to have a program like this on hand to keep things running smoothly and sort out little issues that crop up from time to time. In the past, my go-to was OnyX, but although there is a version for Mojave, it is no longer updated, which is understandable. However, I have no desire to upgrade to Catalina, which is the only version of OnyX that is being actively developed. So, I am curious about Cocktail and how it compares, feature-wise, with OnyX. Or, what the consensus is on sticking with OnyX in it's frozen state - any downside to that if I'm staying with Mojave? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/5teverin0
    [link] [comments]

    HELP: Cannot merge unallocated space/partition back into Mac

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 09:18 PM PST

    In an effort to play a game as a family, my dad and I have been wrestling with my laptop (13" 2017 MacBook Pro) to get Windows installed via Boot Camp and run SWTOR. I had to basically scrape up all my spare space and dump it into the Boot Camp partition to fit both the OS and the game during installation, and I now have just shy of 19 GB I need back onto Mac's segment of the PC.

    Disk Utility just...absolutely refuses to recognize the space when it's unallocated. Terminal, from my extremely limited understanding, also does not seem list the unallocated space, though I have yet to see if it'll recognize it as a partition. When it's a partition, DU sees it, at least, but I have zero option of deleting or merging the smaller partition back into MacOS.

    I really need this taken care of asap, as without the disk space I cannot open Adobe programs that I need for school and commission work. I really don't have many files; my Document storage space takes up a whopping 6 GB, plenty more than half of which is school and commission files. I would prefer not to have to keep everything on flashes, so can someone please tell me the next step to take? Is there an app I can download to do this, as I did on Windows? Is there some little setting box I need to tick? Am I somehow missing the obvious? My dad and I are both stumped as of now, please help!

    TL;DR Disk Utility does not give me the option to add space back into Mac partition, have tried adding it back via both Windows and Mac, doesn't even recognize unallocated space.

    Things I've tried to no avail:

    -creating a partition with the space and adding it back into Mac via MiniTool on Windows

    -keeping the space unallocated and resizing the Mac partition via MiniTool on Windows

    -creating a partition with the space and adding it back into Mac via Disk Utility

    -keeping the space unallocated and resizing the Mac partition via Disk Utility

    -deleting the created partition via Disk Utility (option is greyed out)

    submitted by /u/G1Sunstreaker
    [link] [comments]

    Command Keys Not Working

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 04:36 PM PST

    Howdy. I just bought a Keychron K2 (mechanical keyboard) for my iMac. I use an app called Magnet to move windows around the screen and I've got a few positions programmed to keys. For example ⌘ + F5 will center windows on my screen. I've used the default Apple keyboard until now but for some reason when I press those same keys (⌘ + F5) they don't do anything. Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/df7e43-8b-hc0s___
    [link] [comments]

    Night shift not working on 10.15.2

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 03:38 PM PST

    Even when I turn on custom time and turn on night shift to the warmest setting, it does not work. I reset my MacBook Air (2015) three times, with no improvement. Location services are turned on, and auto dark mode works.

    https://imgur.com/a/RymR0sk

    Update: I had to do a fresh install of macOS. That finally worked after resetting the SMC and the NVRAM.

    submitted by /u/madeyefire
    [link] [comments]

    Open link as pop-out window in MacOS Safari?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 12:45 PM PST

    On Reddit.com, I can click the little pop-out window on the Messaging panel to bring up a separate Safari window that has a super sleep toolbar. How do I get that same type of window on any link??

    I'm trying to condense an existing web page to that window to help view a countdown timer in the smallest possible window. I have no admin privileges and its a work computer. Just looking to time a task I do frequently because I'm bored haha!

    I'm trying to make vClock Timer super tiny. Anyone also know how to completely resize (to any size) a MacOS window? I see that Safari has a minimum size limit. Any way around this without admin privileges? I see Sticky Notes can be resized to anything, and Notes can as well

    submitted by /u/mvfsullivan
    [link] [comments]

    Is MacOS used in office jobs at all?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 01:48 PM PST

    That's my question. I have a friend who works for IBM and uses Macs, but aside from creative work (like video editing) he's the only person I know who uses Macs in an office environment.

    submitted by /u/dave4shmups
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro and DELL3007WFPHC

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 04:21 PM PST

    I recently purchased this:

    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FM52F00/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    A USB C to DVI adapter.

    My MacBook Pro is a 15-inch, 2017 model.

    I'm running macOS 10.15.2

    When I plug the monitor in with the adapter, it will just display random scan-like patterns of various colors.

    I've tried a similar adapter from a friend and I get the same results.

    The same monitor, plugged on a HDMI to DVI adaptor on my Mac Mini, will work! So I know the monitor is not faulty.

    Is there any way I can make this work?

    submitted by /u/BlazeStar
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else's clock off by a few min?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 05:05 AM PST

    I noticed the automatic clock was ahead by 2 min, kinda bugs me, so I set it manually.

    It seems to get the time from Apple, so I'm just wondering if it's me or common?

    submitted by /u/KarlJay001
    [link] [comments]

    How to ssh into my Mac remotely from a different network?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:04 AM PST

    I have an old MacBook Pro from 2011 with OS X 10.6 installed. I'd like to connect to it remotely over ssh.

    I've read this is possible, and that all I need to do is enable Remote Login. So I did that, and was able to ssh in from another computer in another room in my house.

    But then the next day, I tried to ssh in again from my computer at work (NB: The 2011 MacBook stays at home), but the connection times out.

    I don't know anything about computer networking, but my guess for why it worked before but not now is that I can only connect when I'm doing so from within the same WiFi network as my Mac. So my questions are:

    1. Does that explanation make sense? All I did was enable Remote Login, leaving all other default settings intact.
    2. What do I need to do to connect remotely over ssh?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/synthphreak
    [link] [comments]

    Apple’s broken MacOS tethering – one use case that Apple got completely wrong.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 01:04 PM PST

    I spend months at a time in Italy living and working on my MacBook Pro, (wifi-only) iPad and iPhone through a MiFi device, buying mobile data monthly by the 50GB. Although I could get it cheaper by taking a contract, it still works out at only 0.6 Euros per GB.

    Of course, it's worth being careful when me there are limits, so I monitor closely my mobile data use. There's no problem at all with the iPhone and iPad, as I can prevent background connection to the Internet using the "Low Data Mode" switch through the WiFi settings page. This stops background activity, such as synchronising photos, and lowers data usage to acceptable levels.

    On the other hand, my Mac has given me nothing but problems as you can't easily control its mobile data usage. It has no "Low Data Mode" switch and, what is worse, when I change my iPhone (and iPad) through it over night it sneaks onto the internet through the iPhone and takes data without limit. I have a lovely little app called tripmode, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

    And, since iOS13, I think, I cannot easily turn off tethering for my Mac on my iPhone – all devices logged into my iCloud account get automatic access through the tether. The only way to control it – and something I've only just found out – is to answer "Don't trust" to the question "Do you trust this computer?" when it first gets plugged into the USB. But of course I trust my computer, it's my computer. Why isn't the question "Do you want your computer to use the tether?"

    Apple, this is one use case you got completely wrong.

    submitted by /u/jjoojjoojj
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice on getting an old Power Mac G4 running again?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:52 AM PST

    I have Power Mac G4 Mirror Bay that was my main workhorse for many, many years until the internal hard drive died. I've kept it and, at least until then, everything else still worked pretty well.

    I'm wondering what the best way to test it out would be? I may or may not have the original installation CDs. Is there a diagnostic I can run, or something else I can load onto a spare HD or usb drive to load an older OS? Any idea where I could find older versions of the OS from that period?

    submitted by /u/hyperstationjr
    [link] [comments]

    Case Sensitive conversion on Mojave

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 04:49 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    As the title says, has anyone had a relatively painless experience going back to case-insensitive APFS boot volume (from case sensitive APFS) on Mojave? The previous method of blatting the disk, reinstalling a blank copy, then using migration assistant to bring across a Time Machine backup fails, saying it can't deal with the Case-Sensitive backup.

    Worst case, I'll blat it back to a blank copy of OSX and remake my settings, but I was hoping to avoid that bit!

    submitted by /u/HunterSGlompson
    [link] [comments]

    Kernal Panic on MB Air after Catalina upgrade

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:29 AM PST

    My wife uses a Macbook Air as a home laptop. She recently upgraded to Catalina, and now it is stuck in an endless boot loop which results in a kernal panic each time.

    I don't know much about Macs myself, but I tried running a repair with Disk Utility, and it didn't make a difference. My wife does not believe anything is backed up, and doesn't want to lose any data. So I decided to try and re-install the OS which should preserve all the data, but it says there are 2 "partitions" - MacintoshHD and MacintoshHD - Data. Does it matter which one of these I select in order to reinstall the OS and not lose any of her files? Thank you

    submitted by /u/WintryGrey1984
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel