• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 9, 2020

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 08]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 08]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 08]

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:09 AM PST

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Wallpaper Wednesday - [January 08]

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 05:11 AM PST

    Hello, /r/Apple, and welcome to Wallpaper Wednesday!

    Liven up your desktop space or iOS device with some new UI scenery! Please respect the rules below and upload the highest quality image you can find.

    Share your wallpaper on the r/Apple Discord.


    Rules

    1. Please use a reputable image host like imgur.com.
    2. No NSFW posts.
    3. Directly linked images only (albums are acceptable).

    This thread will remain stickied for 24 hours. At that time, the thread will remain active, and an archives link will be posted in the sidebar for easy access. You may also find archives here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    AirPods revenue does NOT exceed Spotify, Twitter, Snapchat and Spotify combined as previously suggested

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:52 AM PST

    Apple Pay Express Transit users in NYC apparently being charged just for walking near terminals

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 02:58 PM PST

    Apple wants privacy laws to protect its users

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:28 PM PST

    Why the iPad needs to embrace mice and trackpads

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 02:08 PM PST

    The Concept Electronics Show

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 10:43 PM PST

    Competition: Share your best iPhone Night mode photos

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 06:07 AM PST

    CES 2020: Best of HomeKit

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:16 AM PST

    Apple needs to put out a "mini" Home Assistant.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 12:42 PM PST

    I was given a Google Nest Mini at the end of last year as a benefit of being a YouTube premium user. My family has some experience of Smart speakers in the home with my mother and sister being fans of the Amazon ecosystem. I decided to play around with the Nest Mini and after a few weeks of use my main thoughts are that an Apple rival would be highly appreciated. With the Homepod, I feel that £279 is too much for many users to justify purchasing multiple in their homes.

    My main issues with the Nest Mini come from the fact I can't use it entirely with my iOS devices, specifically reminders on iOS. While the Amazon system is better for that, from what I've seen from Homepod users is that there's a lot less tedium.

    I would love to have Homepod minis at a price point of £50 to £75 around my home allowing me to do iOS related tasks such as send texts, properly linked reminders and the ability to answer and make calls.

    I don't feel Apple are truly invested in the Home assistant race, but rather focusing on sound quality from their smart speakers. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/raptor_theo
    [link] [comments]

    eqMac - Free Audio Equalizer for macOS

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 12:53 AM PST

    Can we talk for a minute about the "Outdoor Walk" workout type on the Apple Watch?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 09:12 PM PST

    <Mods: please note that this is *not* a request for support - I'm genuinely hoping to start a conversation about a core feature of a mainline Apple product which I suspect is either buggy or very poorly implemented>

    From the "Series 0" nearly 5 years ago through to my current "Series 4" running WatchOS 6.1.1, at no time has the "Outdoor Walk" workout been useful. Check out this screenshot. After a mostly-sedentary workday, I wanted to close my Exercise Ring - I'm at 1,051 days straight of filling all 3 Rings and don't want to break my streak. I needed 30 minutes of Exercise to fill my ring, so I started an open-ended "Outdoor Walk" workout on my S4 Apple Watch.

    I walked around my neighborhood at a pretty brisk pace, stopping only a couple times at crosswalks (never for more than ~30 seconds). And yet, after nearly 44 minutes, my Watch had only logged 25 minutes of "exercise." Given that I'd already completed my usual neighborhood route and was standing in front of my home again, I sighed loudly, ended my "Outdoor Walk" and began an "Other" workout, just so I could finish filling in my ring.

    So here's the fundamental question: if walking at what felt like an aggressively-brisk pace for nearly 45 minutes wasn't enough to register even 25 minutes of Exercise, what is the purpose of this damn workout type anyway?! If I (a reasonably fit / reasonably active adult) am not physically capable of walking at a fast enough pace for this thing to register, how the hell would someone in poorer health or an elderly person with limited mobility ever register even 1 minute of "Outdoor Walking?"

    I'd honestly be happy to learn that I'm just misunderstanding something here, because if I'm not, we're 6 WatchOS releases and counting and still suffering with broken workout types.

    TL;DR: The implementation of the "Outdoor Walk" workout on the Apple Watch seems borderline-useless, barely registering 50% of the actual minutes spent walking as 'exercise'

    submitted by /u/wowbobwow
    [link] [comments]

    Apple rings in new era of Services following landmark year

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 03:02 AM PST

    Apple shares shrug off war threat as analysts scramble to raise their targets

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:20 AM PST

    Serial Number Epoch rollover

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 01:47 AM PST

    We use a little tool internally to automatically decode the Apple devices in our fleet by their serial number. Their serial numbering schema has been stable across all their devices for 10 years but the end of 2019 marked a "rollover" event where they were running out. Looks like they've reset everything back to 2010 as our latest device with a build date of week 1 in 2020 has the same date code as a 2010 device.

    To recap... the system is:

    Digits 1-3: Factory Code
    Digit 4: Year and Half starting with C (2010, 1st Half) and going to Z (2019, 2nd Half)
    Digit 5: Manufacturing week (1-28 or 29-52 depending on Digit 4)
    Digits 6-8: Unit ID (the actual serial number of the machine made that week)
    Digits 9-12: Model Code

    So with Z marking the end of 2019, 2nd half, our latest device has a C which indicates that they seem to be starting over.

    submitted by /u/ambanmba
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel