• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 16, 2020

    macOS Screen time for macOS should only count the minutes when the app is open in the foreground

    macOS Screen time for macOS should only count the minutes when the app is open in the foreground


    Screen time for macOS should only count the minutes when the app is open in the foreground

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:38 AM PST

    I'm looking for a powerful file manager. Any ideas ?

    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 12:56 AM PST

    (I'm not native, excuse my language)

    Hi everyone !

    I'm looking for a file manager (?) that can sort a large amount of documents. I am currently working on my thesis (History) and I need to sort out my sources. I have many scans of documents and I would like to be able to categorize them, describe their content with a few keywords or phrases, create tags. The idea would be to then be able to do quick searches in the mass of documents. Is there such a thing ? Currently, I use Bear for document description and an excel file for categorization. It's quite laborious...

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/MirceaSyd
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to open some video and audio files on Mac (Catalina) from SD card, any solutions?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:32 PM PST

    Chrome and Safari taken over by random search engine

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:20 PM PST

    2013 model Mac Mini. For a while a pop-up would appear saying "your computer would like to make changes" or something to that affect and have my user ID and password to fill in like when you install something. Would take three clicks to get it to go away. Never typed in my password but of course I just ignored it.

    Fast forward a few months and now Chrome says it is controlled/managed by yahoo.com and I can't change the search engine to anything besides some random site. Tried all the suggestions online of resetting chrome to default settings and deleting extensions and whatnot but nothing worked. Installed malware bytes and it showed it cleaned some suspicious looking things but did not solve the problem.

    Also, I cannot quit safari now. Even force quitting, it immediately starts up again.

    I changed my password to my Google account on my phone so at least it's not signed in on my computer anymore. Not sure what else could be going on with this issue.

    I don't want to take anymore time and effort to fix this. I backed up all the files I want to a hard drive like a year ago and I really haven't added any new music or photos or anything to it since.

    Is there a way I can just wipe my whole computer to factory settings or something like that to have a clean slate?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/miroslavic
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS El Capitan

    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 01:53 AM PST

    Hi!

    I use a MacBook Pro late 2011 13", and I'm currently running MacOS High Sierra. The performance is taking a hit, and i'm wondering if it is safe to use El Capitan in 2020, because it is officially not getting updates anymore, but Apple still gives the download file online. So, is there anyone using it now or is it dead?

    submitted by /u/macospro_bably
    [link] [comments]

    Mouse lag and DHCP Netflix error

    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 12:54 AM PST

    Mouse lag and DHCP Netflix error

    I just got this 8-port Type-C Hub from amazon. However, I noticed my mouse cursor sometimes teleport on the screen, also sometimes Netflix gave me warning about some DHCP problem when I connected to an external display. Does anyone know having the same problems and know how to fix it?

    My setup:

    Macbook Pro 15 inch 2019 i9 connecting to a 2k screen through HDMI using type C hub.

    Hub link: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07W8LK2XP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Mouse: Steelseries Rival 600 Wired

    https://preview.redd.it/dzm9simbu3b41.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=50e18e8cd26d9c80b5391f018916ec5cedba6103

    submitted by /u/kimeralz
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a list of iPad Apps that have made it over to MacOS so far?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 01:19 PM PST

    Reinstall MacOS while running Windows in Bootcamp?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:37 PM PST

    An accident long time ago, don't ask me how it happened..

    Currently I am running windows 8.1 via bootcamp on my mac. A few years ago I somehow managed to uninstall MacOS and now I'm kinda stuck in windows.. Have absolutely no clue what to do.. fuck.

    When I reboot (holding «option-key») windows is my only option to run.

    submitted by /u/georgevansmoot
    [link] [comments]

    Downgrading to High Sierra has been right down grating!

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:06 PM PST

    So, here's what naive me thought. I'll back up to time machine, create a bootable installer with latest 10.13 on it, erase the HD from recovery window upon starting from the bootable, then go to my last good backup before the Catalina ones and restore. Not so fast, says apple. Since you have a 10.15 version of backup, none of your previous ones are now accessible. So I'm left with a clean install and a choice of either reverting everything back to Catalina, since that's the only backup that now works, or collect all data somehow from these past backups and re-install all apps and workflows. Who knows of a better way? I want the image from 05/11/2019 to restore from, but am locked out because Time machine has a Catalina backup on it now. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/yadroff
    [link] [comments]

    Now that Microsoft's edge is available for macos, what is the best internet browser for Mac?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:54 PM PST

    As above, I've always been using chrome, but sometimes experience lags if I have a few tabs running. Would like to know your recommendations

    submitted by /u/GabrielXCrescendo
    [link] [comments]

    MAC OS 10.15.2 - Installed on External Drive T5 Samsung 2 TB

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:43 AM PST

    Everything is working just fine except 2 things:

    1) sometimes after login it REALLY slow at the point that i need to restart the system to return to "normal speed - fast honestly" i don't know if it's catalina related or a bug and needs a mac os update in the future,but what can cause this - any FIX to this?

    2) If i install the Samsung software for managing the SSD T5, for example, updating the firmware that maybe can help to resolve little issues like the one above: can i install this software on external drive? can i update the firmware if is an external drive running MAC OS?

    I know it's a simple question but i don't wont to brick my primary system Drive.

    It's a MAC MINI 2018

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Kranorzor
    [link] [comments]

    Philips 276E8VJSB - HiDPI mode support on macOS? (Crosspost from r/monitors)

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:52 AM PST

    Hello, based on researching a budget 4k monitor, I am currently planning to buy Philips 276E8VJSB. Can someone, who uses this monitor with macOS, confirm if macOS supports HiDPI mode for this monitor (e.g. "looks like 2560x1440" resolution and not the "2560x1440 low resolution")?

    submitted by /u/sfcsr
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina's Music App: force *artist* artwork refresh?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:31 AM PST

    Catalina's Music App: force *artist* artwork refresh?

    I have a total of perhaps 10 artist images out of... I dunno, a lot more than 10. Below is what the majority of my artist list looks like. I am positive there used to be images there, but at some point I quit iTunes when it was updating "artist artwork" and it's been like this ever since. Possibly the beta, which may be the problem.

    I tried deleting the artwork cache and all that did was clear the few artists that are present, plus ALL of my albums, which took long enough to get right after Catalina that if I have to do it again, I'm dumping Apple's music ecosystem altogether.

    Any ideas?

    https://preview.redd.it/ziv39fptnya41.png?width=576&format=png&auto=webp&s=34efdc0460fcac8d1cdb4d0be2fba924bc7aa779

    submitted by /u/QuiJohnGinn
    [link] [comments]

    Outlook Search not working in MacOS Catalina

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 10:03 AM PST

    Hey

    I have a machine running Catalina (10.15.2) using Outlook (16.34)

    The Search function has of recent refused to work, I've done a number of fixes related to getting the spotlight to reindex and resetting preferences. Kinda stumped.

    submitted by /u/BVladimirHarkonnen
    [link] [comments]

    Where OS X stores Active directory domain name ?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:10 AM PST

    MacOS stores parameters in .plist files i.e. in /Library/Preferences/. Assuming I join Windows Active Directory domain from MacOS, where the domain name is stored ?

    submitted by /u/niuk007
    [link] [comments]

    Does the new OS update occupy 8gb additionally?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:38 AM PST

    Or does it relinguish some of the old files from the current OS? So it wouldnt be actually eating up 8gb more?

    submitted by /u/usedocker
    [link] [comments]

    Problems with Catalina & External TB3 NVME boot drive

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:41 AM PST

    So recently, I persuaded my boss to let me order an external Thunderbolt 3 drive, for use as a boot drive on my 2017 iMac 5K (with a slow fusion drive)

    The drive purchased was a TEKQ Rapide 480gb TB3 Portable SSD, that had good reviews and claimed it was suitable for use as an external boot drive.

    All was fine, until this morning when the drive kept disconnecting, causing the Mac to freeze (as no boot drive was "present")

    Is there a problem with the drive or the way Catalina handles external devices?

    S.M.A.R.T status says it's "verified" and the drive doesn't disconnect when used as external storage.

    submitted by /u/RoffaloBufflo
    [link] [comments]

    Parallels and Bootcamp partition, use a VM and dual boot?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 04:46 AM PST

    I'm not sure which subreddit this question is best for so I'm just posting here. Mods: If there is a better one please let me know.

    I have a Bootcamp partition on my MacBook and I use Parallels. I'm wondering what the problems or issues are in running the Bootcamp partition from Parallels and keeping it standalone for dual booting to it. Are there activation concerns (hardware changes from native to virtualized), other driver or tech issues with swapping?

    I'd like to use it for productivity tasks in Parallels and keep dual booting for games.

    Parallels website is just marketing with no concerns listed. I'd like to know before I possibly ruin my Windows 10 install.

    submitted by /u/nudoru
    [link] [comments]

    Windows via Boot Camp

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:46 AM PST

    Hey there, I switched from Win to MacOS a few months ago and also updated to Catalina a while ago. Since a few programs are not working on catalina anymore because they are 32-bit and I would like to get Win on the Mac. I have a few questions regarding that:

    1. Will putting Win on the Mac via Boot Camp decrease the performance of the machine when running MacOS?
    2. How easy is it? I know there is an assistant but do I need to make backups etc. - can something go wrong?
    3. How fast is it to switch between the operating systems and can I have a file on both systems and will it change on MacOS for example when editing it on Win?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Eiger92
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel