• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 14, 2020

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 13]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 13]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 13]

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 07:11 AM PST

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Apple's new privacy features have further rattled the location-based ad market

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 03:03 PM PST

    AirPods Pro 2C54 Firmware: Worse Noise Canceling, Improved Frequency Response and Bass Accuracy

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 06:13 PM PST

    Report: Rumored 5.4-inch iPhone to be similar in size to the iPhone 8, support Face ID

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 05:02 PM PST

    Update: In a statement, Apple rejects AG Barr’s claim that it has not provided ‘substantive assistance’ to the investigation

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 06:47 PM PST

    Macs May Be Getting 'Pro Mode' Option to Boost Performance, According to macOS Catalina Beta

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 12:33 PM PST

    The One Remaining Use of the Word “Macintosh”

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 07:11 AM PST

    Low Power Mode for Mac laptops: making the case again

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 07:15 PM PST

    Barr Asks Apple to Unlock iPhones of Pensacola Gunman

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 11:35 AM PST

    Introducing Reality Converter

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 03:39 PM PST

    Mac shipments fell in 2019 despite overall PC industry growth, IDC and Gartner say

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 07:55 PM PST

    Apple Files Unreleased Mac in Eurasian Database, Perhaps a 13-Inch MacBook Pro With Scissor Keyboard?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 08:13 AM PST

    iOS 13 Text Selection

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 09:19 AM PST

    Fixing up my old iPod Video (from 2006!)

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 02:46 PM PST

    TL;DR: Longtime Apple user and novice repairer tries to fix up his old iPod Video.

    In the last few weeks of 2019, I found my old 30GB iPod and 30-pin connector and thought it would be a good goal for early 2020 to see if I could fix it up. Using the last three characters of the serial number, Apple identifies it as an iPod (5th generation Late 2006), aka "iPod with video."

    Right off the bat, there are 3 obvious things that need to be fixed: 1) the display needs to be replaced, 2) the battery doesn't last long and needs to be replaced to make the iPod usable, and 3) the front panel is cracked in a few places. Because there was a decent chance I might completely break the iPod during the repairs, I decided to purchase replacement parts for these issues one at a time, starting with the most significant: the display. Here's what the iPod looked like when I started.

    Repair #1

    Luckily, iFixit has a step-by-step guide for that+Display+Replacement/612), so I ordered a replacement color display, and when it arrived I got to work. I spent maybe 45 minutes trying to open up the device (as shown in Steps 2-5). I struggled to do even that, took a break, and came back the next day. I eventually figured out what I was doing wrong and slowly got the iPod free on all sides.

    I took the white front panel off and I'm like... fuck. Reader, it did not match the picture. What I had done was remove the front panel from the metal back/display/logic board when I really wanted to remove everything from the metal back. On top of that, I could see that small pieces of the panel had broken off. The blue circles in the above picture refer to the retainer clips that hold the panel in place to the rest of the device; the red circles refer to the places where small screws hold the metal frame (different from the back metal case) in place. As you can see, the plastic in the red circles had broken off, some of them still connected to the other half of the iPod. I wasn't sure if they had been broken for a long time or if I did it when opening the device. Either way, the fact that the screws were no longer attached to the front panel was why it came off so easily and didn't pull the display/logic board with it when separating them.

    In retrospect, though, this was all a non-issue. I just had to remove the logic board etc. from the metal back and we were back on track. Well, mostly. Two small flexible grey pieces had fallen out of the iPod without me clearly seeing where they originally went, but I eventually found the right place for them. You can also see them in Step 11; they're blue and on either side of the orange ribbon.

    I followed Steps 6 and 7 but not 8-11. I wanted to minimize the number of mistakes I could make and removing the hard drive didn't really seem necessary. (I should also note that I tried to follow Step 9 but encountered some resistance when trying to remove the ribbon after lifting the brown tab up, so I thought it best to leave it as is.) I also didn't follow Steps 12 and 13, since the end result (Step 14- removing the front panel from everything else) had already been accomplished by accident.

    Replacing the actual display was relatively easy, and now it was time to put the whole thing back together. This only really consisted of reattaching one ribbon and the front panel. I only partially put the front panel on, so that when I did the other two repairs, it would be easy to get back off. I plugged it in to charge and inserted a pair of headphones and it worked!

    At this point, I felt confident making purchases for the other two repairs: a new battery and a new front panel. Replacing the front panel was originally meant to just get rid of the cracks but I also saw that it had the added bonus of replacing all those plastic bits that had broken off. I was tempted to switch to the black panel to match all the other black/space grey products I own but decided to stick with classic white. (Note: both the black and white panels were sold out on iFixit, so I purchased mine from another site.)

    Repairs #2 and #3

    My battery and front panel arrived about a week later, and I started the repairs. At this point, I sort of knew my way around the device and many of the initial steps in the battery-replacement iFixit guide+Battery+Replacement/603) were the same as the first one.

    Removing the battery took some time. As the comments to this step (Step 11) point out, the adhesive was a bit stronger than I would've thought, and I had be careful not to break the hold button ribbon that went under the battery and was partly attached to the adhesive. Here's what the iPod looked like with the old battery removed and the new one installed.

    Replacing the front panel was relatively easy. Here's the old and new panel together from the side. I put the whole thing back together and everything is working! Lastly, I calibrated the battery by draining it and then charging it completely.

    submitted by /u/alexl1994
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 8 on Apple’s refurbished page

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 05:45 PM PST

    Alarming test shows US carriers fail to protect you against SIM-swap attacks

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 01:40 AM PST

    Voice Memos discussion/feature request!

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 02:11 PM PST

    There's not a place on Apple's website to submit feedback about the iOS Voice Memos app so I'm posting this here.

    I love Apple's basic Voice Memos app. I use it almost daily to record music ideas and organizing my thoughts. Its editing features are most of what I need to get the start on various creative projects.

    The problem I have is there is no way to organize the recordings in the app. This has led to a giant assortment of recordings that remind me of my grandparent's desktop organization methods. I can save them into folders in the Files app, but this has downsides such as not being able to quickly edit them. A far better solution would be to have a way to organize/tag them natively in the Voice Memos app. Also being able to add notes/comments to recordings would be a huge improvement.

    Some of these features(such as tagging and comments) are in the Music Memo app but that app is clunky and unreliable in comparison. I can't record while iphone is locked, I've had it blast me with distorted white noise instead of playing back what I recorded, and there's no ability to pause a recording/resume or add more onto the end of a recording once it's been made. So it's worse in every way outside of its organizational features.

    The best solution right now for me has been to add voice memos directly to the Notes app and go from there. The downside to this is the inability to quickly edit the recording/add to recordings as ideas come so it's not ideal.

    I'm open to recommendations for third party apps, but so far all the ones I've looked at have lacked the features I want.

    TLDR: I'd love it if Apple added the ability to sort voice memos into folders(like pictures and albums) as well as the ability to add comments/notes/tags to recordings. I believe millions of people's creative workflow would be greatly enhanced by these simple additions.

    submitted by /u/Dude_of_Bham
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel