• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 25, 2019

    macOS People using macOS, please encrypt your data

    macOS People using macOS, please encrypt your data


    People using macOS, please encrypt your data

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 07:49 AM PDT

    A simple password wont stop anyone from booting into single user mode and blowing it to hell

    submitted by /u/McXreeper
    [link] [comments]

    SO frustrated with Contacts, someone rescue me!

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 08:10 PM PDT

    Hi all-

    A few years ago I did something stupid which resulted in pretty much every person I had ever emailed or been emailed by getting synced into my iMac desktop Contacts, my main contacts file.

    This month I finally convinced myself to go through and delete all the crap, which took hours every night after work for two weeks.

    When I opened it today again, it had restored to all the nonsense. Assuming iCloud was to blame, though I usually have it turned off, I went to iCloud in my browser and deleted all contacts, made sure Contacts was unchecked in System Preferences / iCloud, and restored from Time Machine to a few days ago when all was correct.

    When I reopened after the Time Machine restore, my edited version was back! Yay! 780 contacts instead of over 6,000.

    Then, as I watched, all the other junk started returning! Where is it restoring from?!? I double checked iCloud in my browser - contacts still empty. Sync Contacts still turned off in System Prefs.

    Thanks in advance, Obi Wan Kenobi.

    submitted by /u/ThrivingDiabetic
    [link] [comments]

    SMB or AFP on Mojave and forward?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 07:48 PM PDT

    So I have always used AFP and I have known for a year or so it is recommended switching over to SMB2. How big of a benefit is SMB2 vs AFP? In terms of security? And most importantly data transfer speeds? Also does TimeMachine support SMB2? And I guess my last question is does Mojave or Catalina support SMB3 yet? The whole realm of data protocols has been something that I have had a hard time understanding with Apple devices.

    submitted by /u/AppleTechy
    [link] [comments]

    Today View Widget problem

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 08:36 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am currently running macOS mojave 10.14.5. I like to add widgets to today by like listed here in this article (https://www.imore.com/how-set-and-use-notification-center-your-mac). However, I do not app the app store button when I enter edit mode. has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution?

    submitted by /u/rkway25
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] 2014 Mac Pro frozen during reboot and also after OS reinstallation in recovery mode

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 01:45 AM PDT

    Hello, I have a late 13-inch Mac Pro and it suddenly froze during login. I've tried to reboot, to clear Nvram and Pram and as a last resource I tried to fresh instal the OS from the recovery mode but it also failed. At the moment my laptop is frozen with the apple logo, an installation bar at 90% and a spinning wheel, thee screen is also flickering every few seconds.

    Any ideas on how to proceed? I have some files that would like to recover but if there is no way to save them I will survive.

    Bests

    submitted by /u/alvimjc
    [link] [comments]

    Command not working (sudo pmset -a lidwake 0)

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 01:45 AM PDT

    Hey there,

    Recently I've had a problem with my macbook pro waking up in a bag, so I decided to use this command (sudo pmset -a lidwake 0) to make the mac wake up only when I hit the return key. But for some reason it doesn't work at all. Opening the lid keeps waking up the mac. Is there anything I could do about it?

    submitted by /u/tomaaspetrus
    [link] [comments]

    dTerm alternative wanted

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    dTerm is or was a tool that opens a pop-up terminal windows. When you are in Finder and pressed the keyboard shortcut, a dTerm popped up and the path was already set to the folder used by Finder.

    However, the tool stopped working after an MacOS update. A bit later, the tool was updated and sold for 20 Dollars or so which is a bit steep price, in my eyes.

    Does anybody know a good alternative?

    submitted by /u/ho1ger
    [link] [comments]

    Best Safari extensions for dark mode?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 06:29 AM PDT

    Hello 👋

    Looking for a good app that can convert any website to dark mode. Right now I use Dark mode for Safari ... it is not the greatest :-(

    Do you guys have any good suggestions?

    Kind regards,

    Jerome

    submitted by /u/Sematisius
    [link] [comments]

    What is the speed cost of turning on FileVault on an older Mac (Mac Mini 2011 in my case)?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 10:53 PM PDT

    I use a fairly simple password for my user name. And I use Time Machine encrypted backups on an external drive, which is almost always plugged in.

    I do not turn on FileVault assuming a significant hit to performance. I have upgraded my Mac Mini's 500GB HDD with a 120 GB Samsung 850 EVO. Also I upgraded the RAM to 8GB from the measly 2GB it shipped with. Is my workflow (iOS developer) going to be slowed significantly if I turn it on?

    (No, I do not have money to get new hardware at least for the next several months, so please don't recommend that.)

    submitted by /u/iLearn4ever
    [link] [comments]

    Sharing compleet photo’s library with SO

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 10:21 PM PDT

    Hi Peeps,

    Could someone tell me what the best way is of sharing my 31K picture library with my SO without destroying my album structures.

    We have a shared iCloud backup plan and we are aware of the shared albums but that means i have to port everything over to that place and That means that everytime we make new photo's we have to move them to the shared album folders.

    Looking forward to your reply!

    submitted by /u/sarahs-World
    [link] [comments]

    How to recover my mac after erasing via Recovery Mode Disk Utility?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 03:47 PM PDT

    Erased my MBP drive via Recovery Mode and now i cant install MacOS because of «An Error Occurred While Preparing the Installation».

    Here is some additional info:

    My mac was Mojave, Recovery tries to install Sierra.

    I already tried to fix date via terminal.

    Disk util doctor returns errors.

    Globe shows on boot.

    submitted by /u/tbrachkoff
    [link] [comments]

    MBP 2015 SSD upgrade help

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 11:48 AM PDT

    I've upgraded my 13" MacBook Pro Early 2015 from the default 128GB SSD to a 500GB 970 EVO but the battery life is now abysmal. I've waited for everything to install, for spotlight to index, for filevault to finish encryption etc, done a restart and now in ~20 minutes the battery has dropped 14%.

    Is there a fix for this?

    submitted by /u/NyanBlade
    [link] [comments]

    So I have Norton Security on my MacBook Pro 2016 installed. It runs on German but recently this weird English PopUp showed up. I denied it and found out that it could be a malware. How can I detect it and delete it from my Mac? Can someone please help?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    Microsoft AutoUpdate used 100% cpu

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 10:06 AM PDT

    This has been happening for a few days now. Anyone knows why? If I kill it in activity monitor it comes back after a while. Never had the problem before.

    submitted by /u/xnwkac
    [link] [comments]

    This is a bug when my Mac comes back from sleep mode what to do ?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 03:16 PM PDT

    is there any way to remove a device from the airplay menu bar list?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 05:37 AM PDT

    I'm talking about that samsung tv:

    https://imgur.com/a/Ulij0Fm

    submitted by /u/pink_section
    [link] [comments]

    Hot corners and mouse wheel button stop working randomly

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 08:10 AM PDT

    I use a macbook pro at work, and every few days throughout the week, all of my hot corners stop working, as well as the mouse wheel button, so I can't close tabs clicking them with this button.

    Alt-tab switching continues to work, and the functions that the hot corners run also work, for example, show all windows, if I use the touchbar.

    This issue first occurred in high sierra and continues to happen in Mojave.

    Has anyone else seen this behavior? Very frustrating, as the only way to resolve it is a restart. The dock also stops showing itself if it's hidden, but if I set the preference to always show then it works.

    Things I've tried: killing the dock app (does not work).

    All the things here:

    https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/33950/hot-corners-for-mission-control-stop-working

    Actually the suggestion that worked was unplugging all the screens, closing the lid, then reopening the lid. No idea why this would be.

    submitted by /u/gnimsh
    [link] [comments]

    Just Discovered something with Touch ID on my MacBook Pro

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 07:25 AM PDT

    I was adding my fingerprint to my MacBook Pro and had an idea what if I switched between fingers, when registering finger, after each red line. Well it only works, I have all my figures registered for only 2 fingerprints, one for each hand. it works on iPhones too, have a try n please let me know what you think.

    submitted by /u/GraEdd
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone using Microsoft Edge? Latest update is crashing.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    This might be a long shot, but the latest version of Microsoft Edge (Dev Channel) won't open for me, anymore. I've ran AppCleaner to clear everything out but it just wont launch. I'm back on Chrome for now but was wondering if anyone had this happened and fixed it.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jackmusick
    [link] [comments]

    80bg of other

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 06:44 AM PDT

    I got my first Mac a year ago and only used it for school, until recently. I just realized that I have 80gb of "other" in my storage, I'm trying to free some space, I used omnidisksweeper and it shows only 10gb of system files the rest are not even 1gb. Could you guys help me out, with some softwares or ways to find out what's taking so much space. (Btw I'm on catalina)

    submitted by /u/inessasa27
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Adblock for Safari worth using or is it buggy and will slow down my system?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 08:19 AM PDT

    Ads don't bother me too much, but Youtube just recently has gotten ridiculous without an ad blocker. Is it safe to use or is it resource heavy and clunky?

    submitted by /u/notwritingasusual
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel