• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 24, 2018

    iPad A More Perfect iPad Pro

    iPad A More Perfect iPad Pro


    A More Perfect iPad Pro

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 11:04 AM PDT

    TL;DR - The iPad Pro is my favorite device. I'd love to have the ability to attach a bluetooth mouse or trackpad to the new (hopefully USB-C enabled) iPad Pro so that plugging into UHD monitors could actually give you productive workspace, not just a sharper picture for Netflix.

    Post - With the possibility of USB-C coming to the iPad this fall, I am really hoping Apple opens up the ability to use an iPad with a mouse or trackpad.

    I know that's a non-starter for a lot of folks (it was for me) and there may be some change associated with it, but being able to dump my laptop for it would be amazing — which is probably one of the main reasons why it won't happen.

    In my work role, I primarily use a few different apps which all work fantastically on an iPad:

    • G-suite apps: Gmail, Calendar, Tasks, Docs, Slides, Sheets, Meet, and Hangouts all work really well together
    • Bear: My primary note taking app, which syncs between my desktop and iPhone

    I also use my iPad for leisure, everything from reading Kindle books, listening to music, watching Netflix, or catching up on the news. With cellular capability, it's always on without messing with hotspots or public wifi. I can take it out of the bag, work/play, and then put it away. No fuss.

    Workfront is the only app I use which hasn't gotten on the iPad train yet. I'm forced to use their desktop site, which isn't great.

    More than even my phone, the iPad Pro is now my must have device. I'll likely upgrade regardless.

    So if I'm already getting so much from iPad Pro, why do I want more?

    I want to ditch my laptop, and while I can get a lot of things done on the iPad Pro as a frequent traveler, when I'm at my desk, I want to plug into my 28 inch UHD display and give my aging eyes a little break. Now, I've tried to do this already with my iPad Pro but two things aren't great:

    • The aspect ratio is stuck unless you are watching a movie. This is something I could deal with, though.
    • No mouse means I have to leave the iPad open to navigate quickly when plugged into a monitor.

    I've mastered the iPad's bluetooth keyboard shortcuts but navigating documents and presentations is simply way slower without non-keyboard input.

    Solving the navigation issue would basically make the iPad Pro a replacement level device on another level. I know a lot of folks make jokes about the "What's a computer?" commercials but my parents only go on their computer to manage their Quickbooks. Otherwise, they use their iPad and iPhone for everything else.

    Apple has been happy to disrupt their own business in the past for a long-term play in the market. They may see some decrease in laptop sales with this change but it seems like it will eventually go that way anyway (people are already slower at refreshing laptops and desktops). The Surface is a fine laptop but a crappy tablet and I'd prefer a great tablet with some (but fewer) compromises on the laptop experience.

    With USB-C and a small, pocketable hub, the iPad Pro could replace my typical day-to-day use. As someone who does limited creative or coding work, I feel like there are probably a lot of folks like me out there but I might be wrong too.

    submitted by /u/thelance
    [link] [comments]

    Best app for drawing and creating logos on iPad Pro?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 04:09 AM PDT

    I need to create a logo for my new business and I want to use an iPad Pro app since I have the pencil and already use it for drawing with Procreate. I've seen 'Graphic' which looks pretty good.

    Suggestions?

    submitted by /u/bustyLaserCannon
    [link] [comments]

    With no home button on the new IPad Pros, how will you know which way to hold it?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 06:47 AM PDT

    I've pretty much already decided I'm going to get the new iPad Pro. Never owned a pro before, and the tap to wake with FaceID is very appealing. Not to mention 120hz screen, usb-c, and any surprises (hopefully Qi charging).

    However just thinking about how it'll go when you actually use it. The FaceID apparently will work in both portrait and landscape, but will it work upside down? The thought of grabbing my iPad and it just unlocking (if I'm front on) is gunna be sweet.

    If FaceID doesn't work upside down, does that mean you'll have look for the power button to make sure you're holding it right? The home button was easy to look and feel for.

    submitted by /u/Waderiffic
    [link] [comments]

    If I use an iPad as HomeKit hub, will keeping it plugged in & turned on 24/7 ruin the battery?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 06:57 AM PDT

    OneNote for Ipad only saves links! I want full articles!

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 10:18 AM PDT

    How do I get my Ipad 2018 to save a full web page article in my OneNote app?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MinerAlum
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the oldest iPad that would still work decently and be supported with apps?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 04:42 AM PDT

    For Christmas I need to buy my little brother an iPad. It will just be used for Netflix and FaceTime and maybe some games like Fortnite. He doesn't need the pro or anything. Would an Air 2 work?

    submitted by /u/Thanos2458
    [link] [comments]

    Got my new iPad Pro 10.5” yesterday ...

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 03:51 AM PDT

    I got my brand new iPad Pro 10.5" yesterday With the red leather smart cover.

    No, I am not insane (to my knowledge at least). There were som reasons for this purchase. Perhaps someone can re-use my reasons to do the same or absolutely not to do the same.

    Of course I know that new iPads are expected next week. But the thing is, that I might not want one of the new models. Probably not, actually.

    In my small country (Denmark) we do not have physical Apple Stores. So I normally get my Apple equipment from the online store. And here we normally see that ougoing models disappear when the new models suddenly appear. Suddenly you cannot buy the outgoing model any more. Or at least not in a useful configuration. Getting the iPad today makes me able to return my new iPad for the next 14 days and get a full refund. Even if the product is no longer available. So there is no downside. I can have a peek at the new models and change my mind if I want to. But I most likely won't change my mind. (99% sure).

    If, as a surprise, Apple decides to continue selling the iPad Pro 10.5" at a discount I can simply return the one I just got and by another with a discount. (Allthough I would expect that a simple call to Apple would be enough to get the discount without a double transaction.)

    Now, why would I want the iPad Pro 10.5" in it's current iteration and not get the new ones, you might ask? My answers lies in the rumours about the new models.

    1) I really like the Home button as an app switcher and fingerprint reader. So I do not want not to have home button. Also the Face ID thing is just fancy new stuff which do not really change anything for the better. Certainly not on an iPad. There is also this thing about my wife. She is also used to the fingerprint method and we totally share our iPads. So it is convenient to have all our IOS devices work the same way. (Yep, someday this will be expensive if we are going to uphold this principle in years to come. But for now it is good.)

    2) Even though my wife and I are elderly people in the 60's we use a lot of Apple equipment. 2 iMac, 4 iPad (including the new one), 2 iPhone (and 2 Apple TV). So we have a ton of iPad chargers around our rather big house. I do not want to buy new chargers just because a new iPad suddenly are going to use USB-C.

    3) Over the life cycle of products such as an iPad a lot of small changes are made inside the device. Some changes because of production issues, some because of quality issues. So the "Bill of Material" for the first iPad in a production cycle is not the same as the last "Bill of Material". By buying the 10.5" in it's final days I am going to get a device which have been built from the latest and best "Bill of Material". Thus avoiding design errors (like antennas on iPhones) and production glitches. I get a trouble-free device.

    4) From our current iPad Pro 9.7" and 12.9 Pro (2. generation, of course) I know that all current apps works perfectly on those devices. Remember how they praised this in last years annual iPad presentation?! - I have such apps, like Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, car racing apps and other power demanding apps. So I know that all my apps will work perfectly on the 10.5" too.

    5) "Future proof" by getting the newest and best... Remember, that the current iPad 10.5" also was "future proof" last year. So it must still be future proof if such an argument is to be taken seriously. However, I have been a computer user for 41 years now, so I know that "future proof" do not exist. Therefore I choose to by for present use not for some imagined future. (Which at my age might be after I am dead!)

    6) New design with rounded corners and smaller beezel. - I think that such design changes are offending to my intellect. Change for the sake of change. Just to hypnotize me into wanting the new design. But no, not for me. I use a lot of apps which have sharp corners. Like books, TV apps - everytning actually. There are no apps which use rounded corners. But there are millions of IOS devices across the world which will continue to work with their sharp corners. So this design change is a no-starter. Marketing at it's worst. The device is a computer and a TV for Gods sake.

    Something similar can be said for the iPhone X-series. The now screen ratio and the round corners will be of no use. Remember again that there are countless of millions of iPhones in the "classic" screen ratio. So when you as a developer design the way your app uses the screen you will have to take both screen ratios into account. This will be done by making sure, that all the important stuff will happen on the part of the screen which can be shown on both screen formats. Nothing will happen outside this part of the screen. (Except perhaps for a few apps for the nerds). - One thing I must admit, though: If you watch Netflix movies the new screen ratio is good. But only for movies. Not TV shows.

    7) Suppose Apple will show us some new feature, we absolutely cannot live without. One which will re-model how we can be "productive". - Can you remember how 3D touch on iPhone 6S would revolutionize our way of life. Has it done so for you? And how about AR. Yes, now we can take a photo showing that there are dinosaurs walking around in our gardens. But what else can we do? Nothing of any practical use. Even if someting useful would turn up, then it will take years for developers to build it into useful apps. Apart, perhaps for one or two demo-apps they are going to show you like they did with 3D and AR.

    So what configuration of the iPad 10.5" did I choose? I choose the 256 GB version. The 64 GB is to small and the 512 GB is too big. Not even my iMac uses that much data. The 256 GB makes sure that it can hold all my data. Not only my photos in full resolution, but also lots of "real" data like a couple of thousand notes in our Evernote universe. And much more. I have several big apps too. But 256 is enough. I know that. Even 128 GB might have been just enough.

    On the two iPad Pro's we have already we use the Apple Smart Keyboard. But the new one will just get a smart cover. The issue here is "portability". I love my 12.9" Pro with the keyboard but it has a very low score on portability. And that is important to me as I always have an iPad within reach. And I move around a lot. The 12.9" is simply too big to be portable. It always seems to want more space than is available where I would like to place it. The 10.5" has almost the same physical size as the 9.7" Pro, so I know this will work. And the smart cover is fine when I want to place the iPad as a portable TV somewhere in the house when I am doing something while I watch TV news or something else (with sharp corners!). - The big 12.9 is going to stay permanently on a suitable (big) dinner table from now on. Too big to be portable for me.

    If I did not have the money to own both a 12.9 and a 10.5 I would choose the 10.5, now that I have used the 12.9 for a long time. It is the better compromise because of the portability.

    submitted by /u/torbenibsen
    [link] [comments]

    Locked out of work iPad

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 09:46 AM PDT

    So I just got promoted at work and they gave me an iPad to work with. The problem is, it was a former employees and he had it password locked. I was wondering if there's a way I can get around that myself or if I just have to take it to an apple store. I tried to go by but they don't have any appointments open for 2 weeks and the walk in line was over 2 hours. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Apollo_creedbratton
    [link] [comments]

    what part of ipad receives wifi?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 05:03 AM PDT

    ttop? bottom?

    submitted by /u/newLifeInternet
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended Sketching App for Simple Drawings

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 08:12 AM PDT

    Looking for a simple, easy-to-use sketching app for the iPad pro (10.5 if that matters). These would be simple line drawings. It think the most important aspects would be the ability to draw straight lines, make simple squares, rectangles, and circles, change colors when needed. These would be "back of the napkin" sorts of drawings for discussion of ideas for projects work in engineering consulting.

    The answer very well may be OneNote, but just in case y'all have a better idea out there.

    edit: I do have an Apple Pencil. edit2: It's important to be able to expand the drawing and scale it to fit on a 8x11.5 or 11x17 page as needed

    Sorry if this question has been asked and answered (I'm sure it has!) before. Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/quintios
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] Lost Apple Pencil...

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 07:37 AM PDT

    ...yesterday I needed my Apple Pencil and I searched for it really hard and nearly everywhere in my apartment and I don't have any clue where it is, the last time I used was 3-4 days before so I think it isn't connected anymore, does anyone have any idea how to find it?

    Thanks

    Edit: Is there any possebility to wake up the pencil?

    submitted by /u/flodschi22
    [link] [comments]

    Is FaceID less secure than the fingerprint scanner, or is it just me?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 08:23 AM PDT

    I have the iPhone X and the 2018 iPad and the worst part has got to be the Face ID feature.

    I wear glasses and no matter how much Apple promises accessories don't effect the process, it still does. My glasses are probably face id's biggest hindrance but at times when I'm not wearing contacts, which is quite often, Face ID is incredibly annoying.

    Also, my mom and brother can get into my phone relatively easy so my devices have little to no security when it comes to those two. My cousin has unlocked it too. I don't mind because it's not like they are snooping on me but it does bother me that my mom can get into my iPad easier than I can. I've heard rumors that Face ID does this with lots of non white people but I'm not sure if that's true. Though I will admit, I am definitely non white.

    Still there is so much room for false positives when it comes to Face ID but there's much less potential for that with fingerprints. And fingerprints are easier. Apple wallet and paying for things is a lot smoother when you can use your fingers instead of raising the phone to your head.

    Idk, phones and tablets are hand held devices, it would make much more sense if the privacy functions were hand based as well. What I've learned from Face ID is that my face rarely comes in contact with my device and when it does, it hates my glasses?

    Will the fingerprint scanner be eventually cut out of iPads? Will fingerprints ever be interpreted into screens without home buttons? I wouldn't want to upgrade my iPad if it comes with a Face ID

    submitted by /u/tbabby
    [link] [comments]

    What to Expect from Apple's October 30th Event

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 12:09 PM PDT

    Can't find location

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 10:29 PM PDT

    Hoping someone here can give me some real help. I have a 2018 9.7in Ipad for about 3 months now. Starting about a week ago, my ipad has been unable to find my location. This is affecting weather, maps, google maps and to a greater extent Hulu. Because I use their live service, it requires location to authenticate your tv networks.

    Everything was working fine before, and there have been no changes to any devices, routers, cable modems, etc. I have tried all the steps I have been able to find: Verify locations settings are turned on, resetting locations settings, resetting network settings, rebooting the device, rebooting all routers and modems, and finally, resorted to restoring the entire Ipad to factory settings today. I have also tried connecting to the personal hotspot on my iphone and that doesn't work either.

    I have 3 iphones and an apple tv on the same wifi network and they do not have this issue, just the ipad.

    Does anyone have any ideas that I haven't tried yet? This seems to be an issue that has been around a while for ipads, but I don't seem to be able to find anyone that has a real solution.

    submitted by /u/KFayte
    [link] [comments]

    Best Stylus for IPad 5

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 05:26 PM PDT

    What is the best Apple Pencil substitute for the older iPads that it will not work with?

    submitted by /u/Jonasa113
    [link] [comments]

    Using iPad Pro on the go with keyboard

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 05:16 PM PDT

    I've been trying to use my 12.9 inch iPad Pro while traveling for homework. I have a Logitech keyboard case. I find it difficult to type unless I have a table handy. Any tips? The benefit of the laptop is the screen hinge improving lap use.

    submitted by /u/mreinecker
    [link] [comments]

    Note taking app with scribble to erase feature

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 06:47 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a note taking app with a scribble to erase feature. I've tried Notability but find it cumbersome to keep switching back and forth between pen and eraser (guess I make a lot of mistakes).

    submitted by /u/Wibbly_W0bbly
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Air 1 for School Note Taking?

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 02:58 PM PDT

    I was considering purchasing a refurbished Grade-A iPad Air 1 for my school note taking purposes. Is the air 1 still capable of taking notes on it or is it too old to run notebook programs, like notability? I know it isn't compatible with the official apple pencil, but just wanted to know if it was worth buying one for university at a price of $169?

    submitted by /u/sketchpet
    [link] [comments]

    Character design process with procreate on iPad Pro !

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 05:47 PM PDT

    Handwritten Calculators or best calculators for iPad

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 05:34 PM PDT

    I just watched Tom Solids review of Calculator2 for the iPad. Needless to say, I had no idea that was even a thing and thought is was totally awesome! Are there any other calculator apps that are similar and/or just as awesome?

    I am not affiliated with anyone... just FYI.

    submitted by /u/monkmartinez
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel