• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 30, 2018

    Apple Help I got scammed by an app!

    Apple Help I got scammed by an app!


    I got scammed by an app!

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 09:46 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/Zbqabj2

    I downloaded this "heartbeat" app that's supposed to measure your heartbeat earlier today. They make you put your index finger on the Touch ID to measure it but then the "use Touch ID to confirm purchase" popped up, making me lose around $110.

    I tried getting support from apple and after a long time I thought I found it but it didn't work (see link) so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to do because I desperately need that money.

    submitted by /u/kristofer17
    [link] [comments]

    caffeine doesn't work for MacOS anymore; anyone got a workaround?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 02:48 PM PDT

    really been surprised at how annoying I've found the screensaver appearing on my laptop when I don't expect it to

    submitted by /u/blobber109
    [link] [comments]

    I bought an A1224 early 2008 on auction. I want to flip it for a small profit but I need some opinions.

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 10:04 PM PDT

    So, I managed to snag a 20" 2.6ghz iMac for a little less than $90. I want to resell it and make a little money plus learn about tear down and refurbishing. Now, the thing comes stock and I want to make a few changes, but I am debating which changes will pay dividends. This is not about what I would do with my own machine, but rather what sells and makes sense. Here are some things I am looking at:

    1) Buy a 1TB drive for about $50. People seems to like 1TB drives.

    2) Upgrade to a 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo from the 24" version for about $35 and throw in how unique this particular iMac will be.

    3) Replace the 320gb standard drive with a cheap 240gb ssd and boast the boot speed (probably not happening)

    4) make the 4gb ram (which everyone resells at) 6GB with an expensive ass $50 ddr2 so dimm stick (which I already own, but have to figure in the cost)

    5) Install Sierra, High Sierra, or Mojave via patch and talk about it having the latest OS (people seem to love this, BUT a weakness of the patch is that it may render some wireless cards useless which means I then have to buy a compatible card at an unknown cost)

    6) do what everyone else does, clean it well, leave it as is, and install El Cap on it and sell it for a small margin

    7) legit mouse and keyboard from apple with it or just whatever?

    So, what would you all want? What would you all spend and want to see? Am I crazy? I mean, I am using this as a training experience and trying to make a profit too. I have all the tools needed and I at least plan on repasting the processors and blowing out the dust. Thoughts?

    I like to put my own personal touch and spin on my refurbs. I usually deal with old macbooks, so this all-in-one is new territory for me.

    So, essentially, do I buy an ssd and adapter or a 1TB drive?

    submitted by /u/doc_brietz
    [link] [comments]

    6s, new screen, still black but “seems” on

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 09:40 PM PDT

    Hey group,

    One of my friends brought me their 6s on Verizon. Had the dreaded black screen but connects to his car's Bluetooth so seemed to be working, somewhat. Asked me to check it out.

    I have an older working same model 6s with a working screen - so I swapped them out and the home button. No go. Put the known working screen back onto my old donor phone, works fine. I also tried his screen on my phone and it didn't start up.

    So, I swapped the working screen over again, cleaned connectors, checked flex cables and all seems good. I can hear the "beep" on boot, the clicking on the screen, and the phone vibrates when plugged in and makes that "chirp". But screen is blank. Changed battery with my working battery, nothing.

    It's not recognized when connected thru a computer or through iTunes. But, it seemingly will charge or at least makes that chirp when connected to the charger, and vibrates.

    I've tried holding the battery/home button tricks, tried reseating the flex cables, even the camera, and no go.

    I think I covered everything that I have found to fix it, but can't figure out why the screen doesn't light. Figuring something with logic board but as he doesn't have a backup, he's SOL, or might need a repair shop.

    He has family photos that he was trying to save and wanted to help if I could.

    Anything I may have missed? I think I covered everything I did and could find with the same problem but nothing has seemed to work.
    Figuring he's out of luck, but didn't know if I may have missed something to try.

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/otj287
    [link] [comments]

    Airport + Apple TV + iPad LTE Streaming?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 08:59 PM PDT

    If I get an airport can I cast a video that's on my device in files through AirPlay to the Apple TV if i only have an LTE connection?

    submitted by /u/XeroSync13
    [link] [comments]

    Dropped 2015 Macbook Pro: black screen

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 08:32 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    So a few days ago my macbook pro slipped away from me on the couch when i got up. it dropped about 2 feet on to the floor, opened, right onto the back of the screen (top of the computer). There was a pretty good thud, but i figured it would be fine. Upon picking it up i didn't see any damage, but the screen was frozen...I figured it just needed to be restarted. upon restarting it I got the startup sound but the screen was black. It hasn't gotten it to work since.

    I've managed to get by with an external monitor, where the computer worked fine, but recently the monitor ALSO stopped working so im running it off the projector right now lol. Im going to bring it in soon enough. but ive been super busy with school and can't afford to not have it for an extended period.

    Ive tried ripping it apart and unplugging/plugging in the monitor from the motherboard (or what i thought was the connector), but this had no effect.

    let me know if you have any advice.

    cheers,

    submitted by /u/DJSTEVEINNIAMIXX
    [link] [comments]

    Need help reviving a MacBook Pro

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 08:22 PM PDT

    Outside the supply cabinet at work was a cardboard box full of old computer junk along with a MacBook Pro, I think from 2010. I obtained salvage rights from the IT guy and brought it home.

    It wouldn't boot, so I hit command+R and opened the disk utility and formatted the drive. I also clicked verify disk and it said it was okay. I followed the instructions to download and install OS X Lion. It downloaded, but when I go to install it, I get an error message early in the process: "An error occured while installing Mac OS X." There's nothing to click and all I can do is hard restart.

    I guess I found out why they were going to throw it away. But is there anything I can do to get it to run?

    submitted by /u/rosconotorigina
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook​ Pro 2017 keyboard scratches/wear on screen HELP

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 07:33 PM PDT

    My 2017 MacBook pro shows many clear scratches/ marks from the keyboard. I went to the apple store and they told me that it is indeed covered under warranty but that id have to send it in for repair. The problem is that I need my computer for school and work so I can't part with it for a week, and they aren't giving me another option. Is there anything I can do? my computer is covered under apple care + and they told me that it is an active recall.

    submitted by /u/austin18765
    [link] [comments]

    Would this be an upgrade?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 06:33 PM PDT

    I have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro that never leaves my desk. I'm interested in the new Mac mini. It looks like it would be an upgrade, but I'm not savvy enough to understand the ram—I see that it's 8 and not 16, like my MB is, but is it still faster due to the other stat boosts?

    I am a programmer and I don't do anything intense. I maybe play World of Warcraft once in a blue moon.

    Here are the two models: https://imgur.com/a/QBbc7b2

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/bnimbla
    [link] [comments]

    New AirPods cut in and out when my phone is in my pocket, sometimes at the gym when my phone is on the floor right beside me.

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 12:21 PM PDT

    I bought a brand new pair of AirPods last week from Apple. I opened them and used them right away and walked around the mall for a bit, then I noticed that the sound was getting choppy from time to time. I ignored it at first, but it kept happening. I tried resetting and reconnecting them to my iPhone (I have an iPhone 6 – I know, it's old), but could this be why the sound gets choppy from time to time? It doesn't happen constantly, but it happens frequently enough that it gets very annoying. The sound cuts in and out randomly sometimes, but most often when I put my phone in my pocket. I also noticed that when I hold my phone at a certain angle or a downward position, the music pauses on its own and resumes when I hold it back upwards.

    Did I get a defective pair? Or is it because I have an older iPhone?

    I tried pairing them with my SO's phone once (not an iPhone) and had no problems whatsoever.

    I've also already tried resetting it multiple times and forgetting the device and reconnecting, but that didn't really seem to help.

    submitted by /u/timbit-123
    [link] [comments]

    When I play downloaded MP3s on my phone on Apple Music, they stop half way through

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 06:05 PM PDT

    Anyone know how to fix this?

    submitted by /u/JusticeStephenBreyer
    [link] [comments]

    Mac Mini for media organization

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 06:05 PM PDT

    I previously stepped out of the Apple ecosystem (https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/7hwe77/icloud_photo_library_for_windows_10_is_updating/) and things went a bit haywire (icloud stopped downloading to windows, started working, then stopped working again and since has only been able to download pictures at a rate of a few pictures a day; icloud support was less than helpful). I'm now willing to pay for my sanity and am looking at buying a mac desktop to be used purely for storing and organizing my pictures, videos, ripped DVDs, and music. It is also possible that down the line it will be used for web browsing, word/excel and remote desktop.

    Since it has been years since I bought a mac, I would welcome your input:

    1. I'm contemplating buying the new base mac mini with 8gig RAM and 128 gig SSD and upgrading with an additional 8gig of non-apple RAM and a 2TB external HDD. Is this sufficient for the purposes discussed above? Is there a better solution? Can anyone recommend external RAM to buy or should I just pay for apple RAM?

    2. iPhoto was the default photo program the last time I had a mac and i was never very impressed. Is the "new" Photos the ideal program simply for storage and organization or is there a better program to use? I will be downloading pictures from iCloud and transferring from a DSLR (as well as from friends/family). Does Photos keep your pictures organized in the finder as well as in Photos (iphotos had a habit of making the finder organization miserable, if i recall correctly)?

    3. If you have 2 different users with 2 different iCloud accounts, how do you get both to download to the same computer?

    4. Will I face any problems transferring my windows-based photo library to the mac system?

    Thanks! These might be a basic questions, but I'm honestly sick and tired of trying to keep my phone's pictures, my wife's phone's pictures, our non-icloud/legacy digital pictures, and our DSLR photos organized and backed up. I'm willing to pay to solve this problem.

    submitted by /u/taxmandan
    [link] [comments]

    iPad was stuck on Apple logo, tried to update through iTunes, did not work

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 05:41 PM PDT

    What options do I have to fix the iPad? Can you back up data on an iPad while in recovery mode? If anything, I need the data in this iPad which is very important.

    Model A1416

    submitted by /u/Nytse
    [link] [comments]

    Thanks to all who helped before. I've rescued my hard drive. Any way to rescue my MBP?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 05:40 PM PDT

    Thanks to the wonderful people on this sub, I was able to remove the HD from my old computer and access it from another. I gave my old computer (17" MBP, 2009) up for lost. But am wondering if I could potentially replace any or all the innards so it would still function.

    Apple doesn't make 17" laptops any more. This was my tiny apartment version of a desktop, but one that could be moved when necessary. I know I need to buy something new, and I do have an MBP from 2011 or so...but would love to rescue the old girl if I can. Please advise, and thanks so much for your prior help.

    submitted by /u/Interrogatus
    [link] [comments]

    Mobile data problems

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 05:39 PM PDT

    I am not an apple user but I am just trying to help my grandmother. She has had her data turned on and set onto 4G, but whenever she tries to go on a website (with full service of course) it says "no internet connection"

    Please can someone help, she cannot use WhatsApp and that is very annoying.

    Thank you very much Thomas

    submitted by /u/UnmetPlayer2611
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to send Emails on Icloud Email on mac and Iphone after updating to Mojave. SMTP Server issues

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 01:53 PM PDT

    After Updating to Mojave my mail account hasn't been able to send emails and my SMTP server keeps on giving me a notification. I have already tried what the apple website recommended to no avail. I hope one of you can help. I have attached the notification given on my phone as I failed to screenshot the one on my Laptop. https://imgur.com/a/Xmkps3q

    submitted by /u/raoultje
    [link] [comments]

    Slight static feeling on the body of MacBook Air 2015 while it's charging?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 05:05 PM PDT

    The charger is original. Is this something to worry about or is it normal behavior? I've found people talking about it online but no indication of whether this is a problem that needs fixing or just something that happens because of the metal construction.

    submitted by /u/itsallredfromhere
    [link] [comments]

    Experiencing battery issue on Mojave with 2015 13in MacBook Pro

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 01:12 PM PDT

    Hey, so I'm using a 2015 MacBook Pro, bought new in October 2016, Cycle Count: 453. Whenever I put the laptop to sleep for the night and come back to it the following morning I've noticed that anywhere from 5 - 30% of battery level is gone. Sometimes this means that the laptop is completely drained, and I have to power it back up and hope that there hasn't been any permanent damage. Obviously this sucks because it's bad for the SSD and all that, but more importantly it's bad for the battery.

    Anyway, anyone had this issue? Is there a fix or do I just have to hope that the next version of Mojave is less of a hog?

    submitted by /u/Hippaforalkus4strat
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to use the YouTube App to control youtube on my Imac?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 04:54 PM PDT

    I really enjoy being able to lay on my bed and use my 27in iMac as a screen to watch youtube. But I really wish there was a way to add videos to the queue like there is when you use the YouTube app and PS4/Xbox for example.

    Is there any way to do this via the YouTube app and iMac? I found it could work using safari on my iPhone but thats a terrible experience.

    submitted by /u/pz824
    [link] [comments]

    My mac is dead. Thought id wait until 2018 imac released. But there is one. Now i dont know what to do

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 04:51 PM PDT

    Hi. Not sure if this is the right place but my 2011 mbp finally died (RIP) and I really need a new computer but thought they'll probably announce a new iMac in November, I'll wait til then. turns out they didn't. Anyway should I just buy a 2017 iMac now? I'm really conflicted

    Help please and thank you

    submitted by /u/Capt_Stoopid
    [link] [comments]

    Studio3 pairing process?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 04:39 PM PDT

    So I just got Beats Studio3's. I have an iPhone, iPad, and AirPods so I know how the setup process should be with a W1 chip headset. However I never got this with the Studio3. I had to manually connect to them in the Bluetooth section of the Settings app. My AirPods didn't have these problems. The Studio3 arrived new, sealed so I'm a little unsure of why it's not pairing or have any of the features that my AirPods have. Any suggestions?

    E: Formatting and clarification

    submitted by /u/Kaipolygon
    [link] [comments]

    Adding passes to Wallet in iOS 12

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 04:29 AM PDT

    I occasionally buy tickets online, which are sent to me as a .pkpass Wallet pass via Email. In the past (before iOS 12) I could just tap the attachment in the Email to add them to my Wallet, but when I attempted to do this a few minutes ago I got a share sheet with the ability to copy it into certain apps, but no option to add it to Wallet. Restarting the Mail app or copying it to Files and tapping on it there didn't do anything as well.

    Did something change in iOS 12 with the way wallet passes are handled? I tried to open the file on my PC and I could look at the contents just fine, so I'm guessing it's not corrupted or something. I'm running on iOS 12.0.1 on an iPhone X if that helps.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/jangxx
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone SE broken nothing is working

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 04:11 PM PDT

    2 months ago my iphone se broke -no water damage to my knowledge -doesn't charge -screen completely black and won't respond -mac can't detect it -I use a high watt charger (cause?)

    submitted by /u/illegalyblind223
    [link] [comments]

    No new imac at the Apple event, what to buy to replace a broken one?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 10:00 AM PDT

    My wife is a designer and she has had an imac for 7 years, last august it broke down and she waited until the Apple event to see if there would be a spec update.

    Unfortunately no new imacs have been released.

    She uses her imac for mostly with indesign, photoshop and premiere. Video editing is probably the most heavy task her mac has to perform.

    Because her old imac broke down she now only has her macbook, but its not a perfect replacement.

    Anyway, the current imacs are from june 2017, the imac pro is newer but also very expensive. What would be her best option?

    I was wondering if she buys the new mac mini with the best specs, would it be faster than the normal imac (27 inch) with the best specs (so fastest cpu, 64gb ram, 2tb SSD) ?

    Because the mac mini has an 8 gen cpu and from what I can see it should perform better.

    The most expensive mac mini is also more than a 1000 dollars cheaper, so that can be used to buy a high end monitor.

    What would you recommend? Her last imac lasted for 7 years so I think she is willing to spend a maximum of 7k but if it can be less that is always better.

    submitted by /u/Camelbeard
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a site to compare new and old Macs?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 03:56 PM PDT

    I have a mid-2015 pro and want to compare it to the new Mac Mini but can't seem to find a site that has them both listed side by side

    submitted by /u/bnimbla
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel