• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 5, 2018

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [August 04]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [August 04]


    Daily Tech Support Thread [August 04]

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 08:11 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone feel like that have to pick up their Apple TV remote like an injured hatchling or risk inadvertently changing something?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 12:32 PM PDT

    3 years after its release, Apple Watch has finally been jailbroken

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 12:52 PM PDT

    Airpods. The gateway drug to Apple.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 03:47 AM PDT

    I had a 3. My first smartphone in 2010 (when smart was a necessary prefix to define a phone, now it's just phone, again thanks Mr Jobs). Since 2012, I've been Android on mobile, and since 1995 I've used windows on desktop/laptop.

    But. I've been searching for the perfect wireless headphones for a long time. Bought a few and hated them. Did some video watching. Found out airpods work with Android. Vacillated. Eventually I decided I'd try them. Happened to pass an Apple store in TST Hong Kong. Not a big store. Went in. Told the assistant I was interested in airpods and at that point I was transported back into the seamless, perfect, customer centric universe Jobs created, and I was blown away. Apple does so very many things orders of magnitude better than others. It was a joy to experience spending hkd1299 and for the four weeks I've owned them, the airpods have been used so much. Their user-centric design is incredible. Despite me using an Android phone, they are incredible and easy to use.

    I'm tempted back. I hate the lock-ins, but the customer service and awesome user design is enticing.

    Thanks for a great product, you trillion dollar bastard.

    submitted by /u/tradediscount
    [link] [comments]

    Genius Bar: "Stripped iPhone X Screw" = New Phone for $29

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 10:32 AM PDT

    Thought this might be an interesting story to tell, since Apple has been (rightfully so) been getting a bad rap with iMac Pro repairs lately.

    I had recently dropped my phone and shattered the screen. I have AppleCare+, so it would be $29 to replace the screen damage. I made an appointment for last night, and even though the store was listed as same-day repair, the rep in the store told me that they weren't doing any more repairs for the day (two hours before closing). As such, they'd have to keep the phone overnight. Annoying, sure. But not the end of the world so I let them keep it.

    Anyways, I walk into the store and another rep approaches me explaining that the pentalobe screws were stripped during attempted repair. While opening a new iPhone X from a box, they told me that for $29 (the same price as the screen repair), they were going to give me a new phone. I'm not sure if they'd be offering this same service had I not had AppleCare+, but either way, I'm really impressed. Are stipping the screws during repair a common occurrence? I've repaired plenty of iPhones in the past and the screws never appeared to be weak or strip easily.

    submitted by /u/jinjuu
    [link] [comments]

    Feature Idea: When Using Apple TV, Raising to Wake My iPhone Should Bring Up the Remote from Control Center On the Lock Screen, Automatically

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 08:40 PM PDT

    I'm going to submit this to Apple, sure. But I wanted to know everyone's feelings on this. So raising to wake an iPhone while using a nearby Apple TV should just bring up the Apple TV remote on my lock screen. I feel this should at least be an option as it would save me a step and feel quite seamless. OR, the camera swipe left should be more dynamic in that it's not always a camera. It's a remote when it needs to be a remote, a camera when it needs to be, or whatever the hell you want to set it to.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Cahhhtin
    [link] [comments]

    How did Tim Cook fix Apple's broken supply chain?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 03:32 PM PDT

    Those with the 2018 iPad, what's your experience with it so far?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 04:14 PM PDT

    About to get one, would like to hear some opinions!

    submitted by /u/yonghuilum
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone else not rescanned their face on the X since Nov 3rd?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 08:24 AM PDT

    I scanned my face the day I got the phone (launch day) and have not touched it since. Super impressed so far. How has it held up for you?

    submitted by /u/bobtheloser
    [link] [comments]

    [macOS] Wipr 1.4

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 08:55 AM PDT

    Apple TV: The Apple TV remote should have some type of finger rejection on the trackpad. We have palm rejection on both iPad and MacBook Pro.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 10:26 PM PDT

    TIL: iOS 12 Remote app will auto fill Passwords for TVOS apps

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 10:01 AM PDT

    Would be nice if keychain was on Apple TV, but this is a good alternative. Before i would have to search a password, copy then paste. This is much more efficient.

    submitted by /u/zagarzz
    [link] [comments]

    Dual-SIM may be limited to 6.1-inch version only available in China

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 11:31 AM PDT

    Epic estimates that of the 2.5 billion phones running android, 250 million can run Fortnite. What number of iPhones can do it?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 09:44 PM PDT

    I'm willing to bet that there are at least the same number of compatible iPhones. This changes how I think of the markets for apps on the two platforms. It also paints an ugly picture of the sales of all of the "flagship" phones running android.

    The number of phones is mentioned in the Fortnite Q&A. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-fortnite-on-android-doesnt-use-google-play-confirmed

    submitted by /u/isaacc7
    [link] [comments]

    To those with a 2015 Macbook Pro... how's it doing?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 10:15 AM PDT

    I've got an early 2015 MBP, which I know is a computer that's well-liked in this community. Old enough to still have magsafe, plenty of ports, and a decent keyboard. New enough to still have pretty competitive specs.

    But honestly, mines starting to show its age.

    The screen has all of these scratches and marks that have shown up over the past year. It's not from actually getting scratched, they've just appeared from the edges and grown in.

    The charger is falling apart, and has broken through to the wires in 5 or 6 spots. I've taped up all the wounds but now it looks like a burn victim.

    The fan is starting to run louder than before during video editing projects.

    The battery is at almost 1300 cycles.

    The screen and charger issues I believe are related to humidity. I moved to a very humid country and then both issues started soon after.

    Anyway, I suppose I'm wondering if I've just been particularly hard on mine (living in a humid place, doing a lot of video editing) or if other 2015s out there are showing their age in similar ways.

    submitted by /u/the_tico_life
    [link] [comments]

    I used SharePod years ago but today it seems theres no way to transfer music from an old iPod to a computer for free. Is there really no free option?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 09:57 PM PDT

    AirPlay2 from HomePod is pretty nifty

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 10:24 AM PDT

    Seems obvious, but I just discovered that there are two ways to have HomePod stream what it's playing to an Apple TV in another room using AirPlay2 so they're in sync:

    1) With HomePod playing, pull down control center on phone, tap what HomePod's playing, hit AirPlay icon, add AppleTV

    2) "Hey Siri, play this in the kitchen too"

    submitted by /u/aiken_
    [link] [comments]

    From the original iPhone in 2007 and onwards, what do you think Apple’s worst product has been?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 05:49 AM PDT

    What release do you feel they really dropped the ball with and why?

    submitted by /u/927473
    [link] [comments]

    Jobs, Wozniak -- and Wayne? What happened to the third co-founder of Apple

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 05:27 PM PDT

    Apple have outdone themselves with the iOS 12 Apple Books app

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 12:58 PM PDT

    Personally, I think that iOS in general has been going downhill since iOS 9. I think that, in general, the UI is worse and more cluttered (and Multitasking is basically unusable), but I'll give it to Apple - the new Books app is outstanding beyond all belief.

    I've never been a fan of the iBooks app. It's never been good. I've only ever bought one Audiobook from it, and I never wanted to go back to using it. But today I wanted to buy a new book, and remembered that iBooks had been updated for iOS 12 (which I'm Beta testing). And, if you've not seen it, it's gorgeous. It's a pleasure to both browse and read with.

    IOS 12 does seem like the best update since iOS 9, because it doesn't make anything worse as the past few have. But the new Apple Books app is one of the best updates I've ever seen to an app.

    submitted by /u/Jamesifer
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: Resetting NVRAM still disables Find my Mac

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 08:18 AM PDT

    Just resetted NVRAM & SMC on my 2018 Macbook Pro (because it was having a speaker issue).

    It had all software updates installed, so this shouldn't happen. Called Apple support and they assured me that Find My Mac wouldn't turn itself off after a NVRAM reset. Do take note if you've done any diagnosis recently!

    A few weeks in my 2018 MBP has speaker problems and the trackpad lags in Safari. But I still love it!

    submitted by /u/such_animosity
    [link] [comments]

    Jony Ive on stage at WWDC 1997 Session 500 - Apple Hardware Roadmap

    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 03:25 AM PDT

    I thought the only time he presented was in 2008 talking about bringing the unibody industrial design to MacBooks and MacBook Pros, but then I discovered this: https://youtu.be/ekkSkuY1EcI?t=1896.

    submitted by /u/refine_and_refine
    [link] [comments]

    Late 2013 MBP, 15" retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 2GHz i7 -- worth repairing if battery is failing?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2018 02:23 AM PDT

    (Removed as much fluff as possible)

    Problem: when using, screen suddenly turns blank and then fan starts spinning. This happens randomly, irrespective of what program I happen to be using.

    Actions Taken Thus Far

    1. Wiped HD clean and did a clean reinstall (Internet recovery) to Mavericks and then upgraded to High Sierra

    2. Brought into Apple store. They did deep testing and found everything fine except battery borderline failing.

    3. Apple tech asked if the problem happens when I have it plugged into power or only when it's unplugged. I hadn't taken note of this factor, but I have had it plugged into power for the past day when using and it has not failed once.

    Current Intention: To be sure, I will use my MBP for a couple more days with it still plugged into power and note if it fails again or not. Then, start using without power and see if it fails.

    Future Decisions (where I need your help)

    1. Do I repair battery through Apple? AU$290

    2. Do I repair battery through third party? Might be cheaper. I'm out of warranty anyway, but they can be dodgy and I don't know any that I can trust like I can trust Apple.

    3. Do I just buy a new MBP, because the battery is failing now, maybe in a few months something else fails and so on....?

    submitted by /u/throwitupwatchitfall
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel