• Breaking News

    Friday, May 4, 2018

    iPad My one week experience using iPad Pro as a laptop replacement

    iPad My one week experience using iPad Pro as a laptop replacement


    My one week experience using iPad Pro as a laptop replacement

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:08 AM PDT

    My MBP had the anti-reflective screen defect and had to be shipped off for service. I figured that it would be a good experiment to see if it could work as a "School, Netflix and web browser" laptop replacement. I see a good deal of people asking this question so I hope this post finds you from the search bar. I'll do this review for the 10.5" with notes on the 12.9" (I've owned both) Typing from the 10.5" and no external keyboard, switching between on screen keyboard and dictation.

    Pros:

    • Battery Life. It's so nice to go a full day on a full charge without having to lug around a large charger. Dark and night themes on apps improve the battery life even more. Surprisingly, even media apps like Netflix didn't seem to drain my battery too much.
    • Speakers. This one surprised me the most. The sound from the iPad is actually better than my MacBook Pro, and the Acer and Thinkpad laptops I occasionally use. The four stereo speakers have been more than sufficient for watching TV shows and YouTube.
    • Apps. The quality of apps has improved greatly in the past year. The biggest improvements have been finance and travel apps. I actually find it I'm getting additional functionality or at least simplicity as opposed to standard laptop browsing experience.
    • Casual browsing. The truly iPad excels when laying back in bed or sitting in a comfortable chair. I can scroll through news, weather, books, Manga, and reddit with complete easy.
    • Handwriting and ebooks. I have both noteability and goodnotes and I love them both. I've just stopped using paper notebooks and journals, and I only buy paperback copies of my very favorite books and Manga. Is it a perfect replacement? No. Nothing replaces the feel of paper. But having absolutely everything perfectly organized and backed up is too convenient to pass up. The Apple Pencil is a crucial component of the new iPad. I use it to take notes and annotate my PowerPoint slides during lectures and meetings. It's saved me stacks of notebooks and a hundred pounds of textbooks through my first year of medical school.
    • iMessage. This was the only thing I regretted from switching from iPhone to the S8. Texting from a large screen and having your messages on multiple devices is incredible.

    Neutral:

    • Dictation. Dictation has been a mixed experience. I'm dictating the majority of this review. It's pretty nice for sending out emails and, IMO, Crucial for writing something as long as this post. However, it will inevitably mess up words. I minimize this by switching between dictation for the majority and the keyboard for anything I think dictation will get wrong. Overall, I think it is in underused feature of the iPad, granted you can speak clearly and a little robotically.
    • Keyboard cases. They're are some keyboard cases that give you the full tilt angle and build quality of a MBP. They're expensive, as is to be expected. One thing that bothers me with a lot of reviews is that most involve placing the laptop on a desk. Maybe I'm one of the few people in the world that actual use my laptop on my lap. Most keyboards aren't up to that challenge. Plus, the good ones make the iPad as bulky as a regular laptop. However, if you're dead set on making the iPad feel like a laptop, you can get close.

    Cons:

    • Apps. The iPad apps that use are wonderful. However, I still noticed that my workflow, while pleasant, is much slower. I don't think the iPad can replace the experience of web browsing using a standard keyboard + trackpad or mouse.
    • On screen keyboard. The on screen keyboard is great for quick messages and scrolling through apps. It's obvious not, and I don't think was intended, to be a replacement for the standard physical keyboard. I use SwiftKey Instead of the default keyboard for predictive typing. This makes the experience better, but still not a replacement.
    • Quick tasks. This was kind of addressed with apps, but when I had an email or task that needed to be done quickly, I really wished I had my laptop. It's just easier and more accurate for fast response.
    • Word processing. This review is taking me longer than I originally anticipated. Typing something of this length is simply easier to do, not just because of the full sized keyboard, but also moving the cursor for editing.

    Summary:

    If you have time, watch the original keynote presentation by Steve Jobs for the release of the iPad. This is was the iPad is. The question was asked about whether there was room for a device in between a phone and a laptop. The iPad is the perfect answer. It is a the perfect companion device. It is not a desktop/laptop replacement. However, it's always right next to my laptop while I'm studying. It's what I use to relax and destress at the end of my day. It's my favorite books, journal, and newspaper all at my fingertips. When I have something that needs to get done and I don't have time to waste, I'm grabbing a laptop. For school and more casual stuff, I'm grabbing my iPad.

    Notes:

    There's question between the 10.5" and the 12.9". The 12.9" is about the same size as a sheet of paper. I have friends in medical school that think it makes a far better paper notebook replacement. It was nice for drawing out pathways and made for a better Netflix experience. I know students who use their 12.9" iPad for the majority of their day, only using their laptop for applications and websites that won't run on iOS. However, for me, it was just a little too big. I wanted something with more of an "ebook" feel that was comfortable in my hands. Maybe it was just me but the 12.9" felt too big when reading books from a chair or bed. I was think the 10.5" makes a better companion to a laptop. If I was just bringing my iPad to class, maybe the 12.9" would have been the right move. But a laptop + 10.5" is a great work flow that I'll stick with for a long time.

    submitted by /u/Dr_McSleepy
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best to import textbooks into an iPad Pro?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:59 AM PDT

    I really would like to try using an iPad pro for my textbooks and note taking, but I'm unsure how to import my textbooks. Is there a good way to do this? Is there any way to import textbooks and have the ability to take notes on them at the same time with the apple pencil?

    submitted by /u/BurntGlory
    [link] [comments]

    Customized File Management for Ipad

    Posted: 04 May 2018 08:39 AM PDT

    I own a 2018 Ipad 32GB. Given the limited storage I plan to use the Cloud for all my file storage. Can i easily use a customized cloud storage for my needs:

    A. Evernote: for notes, text, docs etc B. Google Drive: Photos C: iCloud: video, movies, Apple sourced media

    Can a single file manager handle this? My goal is to logically segregate cloud based on content so less confusion to save and search.

    submitted by /u/Vishalj74
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro 10.5 Screen Protector/Case/Accessories?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:10 AM PDT

    I just got an iPad Pro 10.5" for Physical Therapy School starting this summer. We will be using it for just about everything in the classroom, biomechanics labs, and clinical rotations.

    That being said, I want to make sure that I'm protecting it like my first born child. What screen protectors, cases, and accessories do you all recommend? Is there anything comparable being sold by others instead of Apple?

    Is the Apple Pencil sound like something that I would benefit from having, or should I just opt to get a keyboard?

    Thank you all! Excited to have my new device!

    submitted by /u/Jaa1305
    [link] [comments]

    Can the iPad 2018 do everythiing the iPad pro can do?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:27 AM PDT

    I get the Pro has a better processor and more ram, but does that really limit the 2018?

    Im planning on doing illustrations/sketches, light video editing, photo touch ups, page layouts, and some gaming.

    Will I feel limited on what I can do? Or can the iPad do everything the Pro can do?

    Would rather put the extra money saved(from $450-650 depending on if i get the 10.5 or 12.9) on other things. But if the pro will really help me out then I don't mind getting it.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/MountainWannabe
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for old (pre-iOS 10) iPad mini?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 09:09 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    As above, I have an old iPad mini that cannot run iOS 10 - I currently use it to play music.. and that's about it. I was thinking of mounting it on a wall in the kitchen and using it as a recipe center, as well as a home hub style information tool.. Are there any apps out there that people could recommend that might help facilitate this? I had heard of statusboard, but unfortunately the developer has pulled this from the app store. It would have been perfect.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Tyrango
    [link] [comments]

    Pencil accessories

    Posted: 04 May 2018 02:09 PM PDT

    Apple Pencil accessories you can't live without. Cases, stands, wraps, grips, clips ect. GO!

    submitted by /u/numbat77
    [link] [comments]

    Native Mail app not connecting anymore (iPad 3)

    Posted: 04 May 2018 09:57 AM PDT

    I had to change my Gmail password a couple days ago and in the process, I deleted the profile information in the Mail/Contacts/Calendars section. Fine, right? Except now I cannot get the mail app to add the account again. I can go through the steps (username/pw) but it just kicks me back to the "add account" screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Gentleman_Villain
    [link] [comments]

    What’s are the chances they realize everyone and their sister thinks the mini is the best form and function Ipad ever and rereleases a new one?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 12:32 PM PDT

    You can't bring up the Mini without everyone gushing over it and saying how they love it. Maybe next year they figure out their best product would be a good idea to make again?

    submitted by /u/MontanaSD
    [link] [comments]

    Calendar App with Pencil Capabilities (iPad Pro)

    Posted: 03 May 2018 04:08 PM PDT

    I've spent a good chunk of time today looking for a calendar/planner app that works with the pencil. I've not found something I'm sold on yet.

    What I'm looking for is a calendar app with a planner style layout. It'd be great if the day was chunked into sections that I could edit times etc. I'd also really like to use the Apple Pencil with it.

    Merging with the google or apple calendar would be a plus too.

    Does this exist?

    submitted by /u/Brades88
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know where to find a Citrix X1 mouse?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 07:50 AM PDT

    I just read that Jump Remote Desktop supports the Citrix X1 and the Swiftpoint GT as input devices. That's really awesome and I definitely want to give it a try. The thing is, the swift point looks kind of wonky, and I'm just interested in having a traditional mouse. When I looked on the Citrix website, it looks like they sell them specifically to business clients. Is there any other way to find one? Does JRD support more than just those 2 mice? I was just interested in having a conventional mouse for Remote Desktop stuff.

    submitted by /u/WarshipJesus
    [link] [comments]

    Keep Open Box 10.5 Pro or Wait for Sales?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 07:34 AM PDT

    Being that the 2nd gens were announced and released in early June of 2017 I'm guessing we're likely to get an ipad announcement next month. I scored a mint Open Box 64gb 10.5 pro from Best Buy for $540 2 days ago. Am I likely to beat that price when the 2nd gen's go on sale after the new one's are announced? I'm guessing that's why Best Buy already has them at a $50 discount.

    submitted by /u/bnwhtlw
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 one step closer to taking on the 10.5 iPad Pro

    Posted: 03 May 2018 06:19 PM PDT

    Can you snip an image from pdf expert and paste it to goodnotes?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 04:18 PM PDT

    If not, which apps do I need to be able to snip pdf images and paste them to goodnotes? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/GIveyouroldbedarest
    [link] [comments]

    charge station

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:35 AM PDT

    A strange clicking noise on home button?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 02:33 PM PDT

    Anyone have a similiar experience? I have the 2017 12.9 and i don't remember having this sound before. When i click the home button, it has this weird sound. Not your regular clicking sound. It's confusing. Anyone?

    submitted by /u/Chronotide99
    [link] [comments]

    Netflix?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 04:34 PM PDT

    So, I just bought a 2017 iPad (the normal sized one 😂) it has no photos or videos on it and only about two apps… One of the apps is Netflix... I was excited to watch Netflix on it but the lag is so bad I can't concentrate on what's going on in the show... has this happened to any of you? What can I do to fix it?

    submitted by /u/zachrudolph33
    [link] [comments]

    How do i convert the downloaded youtube videos on an iPad?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 11:43 PM PDT

    How do i convert the downloaded youtube videos on an iPad?

    submitted by /u/Jacobji
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel