• Breaking News

    Friday, March 5, 2021

    macOS I just now learned after nearly a decade of using a Mac that you can right click the Launchpad for a list view

    macOS I just now learned after nearly a decade of using a Mac that you can right click the Launchpad for a list view


    I just now learned after nearly a decade of using a Mac that you can right click the Launchpad for a list view

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:54 PM PST

    VS Code 1.54 adds native M1 support

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 01:53 PM PST

    The struggle is real with organizing the Launchpad

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 01:02 AM PST

    Almost every time my MBP16 goes to sleep, this shit happens. Any ideas of how to remedy this?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:13 AM PST

    Ubuntu's Zesty Zepus 17.04 native wallpaper quite looks great on Big Sur.

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 05:29 AM PST

    About Terminal history

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 01:33 AM PST

    How to permanently delete Terminal (zsh) history on Mac?

    submitted by /u/Anudha_J
    [link] [comments]

    Sudden "Library" folder appears in Documents

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 09:55 PM PST

    So this morning (it says March 5, 2021, 8:44 AM; time of posting this is March 5, 2021, 1:50 PM and I only noticed this now), a wild "Library" folder appeared in my Documents. There's a red stop icon (idk what you call it) and when I try to open it, this appears. I'm the only user on this Macbook. I really don't know where this came from. The only thing I did at 8:44 AM was open Zoom, Safari, and Messenger. Is it safe to delete this? If not, what else can I do? I already ran a Malwarebytes scan and it didn't detect anything. I'm a bit worried. Thanks.

    Macbook Pro 2019, 13-inch, 2 Thunderbolt 3 Ports

    macOS Big Sur 11.2.2

    submitted by /u/michizane29
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung T7 Touch SSD After-Installation Security

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 01:07 AM PST

    Hi! I bought a Samsung T7 for my Macbook Air M1 today and I couldn't get it to work, so I looked for solutions and got it to work by downloading the latest software from the Samsung SSD Tools & Software page, then I opened Startup Security Utility and set it on Reduced Security to allow kernel things (needed for T7 installation, and as prompted by System Preferences Security and Privacy). It works well now but I was wondering if I should go to Startup Security Utility again and put it back to Full Security? Or will that affect the progress I've made and mess everything up? Sorry if this sounds all over the place I'm not really good with this kind of stuff 😅 Thanks for any responses!

    submitted by /u/tanfei
    [link] [comments]

    Apple… if it ain't broke just don't touch it! Seriously! Highlighting a word then "look up" and it just looks up the first letter?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 04:03 PM PST

    Brand new M1 Macbook Air Freezing & Restarting. Did I get a lemon?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 06:47 PM PST

    VMware Fusion 12 NAT over a VPN not working

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 06:45 PM PST

    Hi all. Running macOS 11.2.2 here. I am running VMware Fusion 12 to host a Windows VM. My Mac uses a VPN to access remote internal pages.

    Before jumping to Big Sur/Fusion12 I was able to share the VPN tunnel to the host OS using the NAT network setting and access those internal pages from the host OS. After the upgrade, this no longer works. Host OS reports that there is no connectivity when in NAT mode.

    Has anyone seen/solved this issue? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/alxalxalx19
    [link] [comments]

    How to turn off auto boot on M1 macbooks?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:41 PM PST

    sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00 doesn't work on the newest version of big sur. I've heard it used to work on the first version of big sur, but I have no idea if that's true. I'm surprised there hasn't been a workaround for it yet. How long will we have to wait for something like this?

    submitted by /u/coppermac7
    [link] [comments]

    Question ABout Memory Swap

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:08 PM PST

    Question ABout Memory Swap

    Hi guys,

    So, I'm not a tech-savvy person, so excuse my ignorance. But can anyone explain to me how does Memory Swap works? I read there's a problem with tM1 MacBooks (8gb). So my ssd is 255gb. which means my ssd will only last 2 years? How does this affect me? I just don't understanding the articles and how they calculate the ssd lifespan.

    https://preview.redd.it/oq6qdku5s5l61.png?width=1216&format=png&auto=webp&s=9ef580abfd0bf6b073c1fb27fa8bb340fe23ea73

    submitted by /u/JoyBramble
    [link] [comments]

    Dock icons for opened files

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 08:18 PM PST

    Have a question about icons on the dock. I currently have Big Sur on my MacBook Air from 2018 but please note when I setup my dock it was originally Mojave I believe.

    When I open a file, word doc or excel file, or even pdf, I do not have the icon of the file show up on my dock. Instead I have to click the program on the dock and hold and then it shows which files are open in just that program. It's not using stacks or anything like that. I have also disabled recent applications from my dock to minimize.

    My friend has his macOS setup (Mojave) where every file open whether it's pdf, word doc, excel file, the dock has an icon open on for the file separately on the dock until it's closed. I'm trying to see how to make mine like that again rather than having 3 word documents open and not seeing which ones unless I click the word program where they are all grouped.

    I looked through every system preference and dock option and don't see an option to have any file open show up on the dock. Again it's not stacks and no files are pinned. It's just files that are open only show up under the program they are, in rather than on the dock so I can see what and how many documents I have open.

    Any help would be appreciated. Tried Apple discussion boards but they keep talking about "stacks"

    submitted by /u/Sunfunbunrun
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur created an Update drive, among other problems from trying to update from Mojave?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 01:46 PM PST

    Big Sur created an Update drive, among other problems from trying to update from Mojave?

    2015 Macbook Pro, early 2015, on Mojave 10.14.6.

    So, this might be a bit of a doozy, but in short, I tried to update to Big Sur from Mojave, not realizing I had been so far behind in updates. Yes, I'm dumb. No, I won't try this again.

    This caused my computer to crash several different ways – a question mark on a gray screen, an update bar that would never finish to 100%, recovery mode attempts...this was all with Apple Support over the phone. It appeared as if my computer finally updated to Big Sur after putting the update on an external hard drive, which wiped my computer. However, I went to the disk selection screen (option on start-up) and selected the hard drive that was there. My computer was back to normal, on Mojave, with everything intact, including my files.

    This is all great, but now I'm stuck with an Update drive on my computer. I am terrified to delete the drive as I don't know what will happen to my Mac if I do. Apple Support told me they had no idea what happened and to just avoid touching it.

    the update drive in all its annoying glory

    My Mac only has 120GB of storage and the Update drive is taking up 20GB of space, which is the main reason I want it off my computer. System is also taking up half of the drive. I tried using Grand Perspective to clear some space, but it caused another crash that required me to select my main HDD again (as I'm sure it was scanning the Update drive too)

    https://preview.redd.it/nq8sxqg803l61.png?width=1170&format=png&auto=webp&s=f4e03112f8f785d989da174ab4156094621305e4

    Any advice on what to do? Is it safe to remove the drive and the update itself? I know I need to update to Catalina before Big Sur this time, so I would like to do that after I figure out what to do here.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mandaramaa
    [link] [comments]

    macOS 11.3 beta HomePod lag?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:29 AM PST

    I know Apple is supposed to finally add stereo HomePod support in 11.3, but is the 3-second delay also fixed in the betas?

    submitted by /u/Solidstatepassive
    [link] [comments]

    How to use Control + C/V for Copy/Paste without disabling Command + C/V for Copy/Paste

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:29 AM PST

    I use both a Mac and Windows machine and would like to make use of Control + C/V for Copy/Paste. However, there are several apps on the Mac that I use that depend on Command + C/V for their functionality so I want to keep those keyboard shortcuts intact. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

    submitted by /u/discoborg
    [link] [comments]

    Inconsistent wallpaper tinting across multiple desktops

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 06:55 PM PST

    I found a bug where when I create a new desktop it has some bugged wallpaper tinting where the tint doesn't correspond to the wallpaper (while other desktops are fine). Rebooting fixes the issue but creating new desktops still introduces bad tinting.

    Here is a normally tinted desktop
    Here is a desktop with a bugged tint

    Does anyone know how to fix this (besides turning tinting off)?

    macOS 11.2

    submitted by /u/DeepSpaceSignal
    [link] [comments]

    Photos for Mac no longer deletes photos after importing from iPhone, creating duplicates

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 06:43 PM PST

    It keeps offering to import photos that I have already imported and sees them as "new." They are not new. Any ideas on how to prevent photos that have already been imported from being reimported? The previous option to delete after importing in Photos now appears to be gone. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/cercant01
    [link] [comments]

    I'm Unable to Open ANY FILE In My Mac

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 02:17 PM PST

    Every time I double-click a file in my MacBook Pro (even with .dmg files) a message pops up that says '<File Name> is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash.' I've already tried restarting, shut down and booting up again, logging in and out, switching users and it still doesn't open the files.

    How do I solve this issue? Please help me.

    submitted by /u/JepphyTheKiller
    [link] [comments]

    Am I the only one that hates the scroll behaviour when using an external mouse?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:50 AM PST

    Hello, I have a Logitech M705. Although it's not the most expensive one I really like it when using it with a windows computer however when using a mac...

    It's hard to describe but scrolling just feels wrong. There seem to be some acceleration enabled. At first, you scroll way to slow and then all of a sudden you are scrolling at lightning speed. I find it so bad. It's weird because I feel like they are the best at trackpads but they can't get scrolling working with a mouse as it should. It's not only this Logitech mouse I have had problems with, I haven't used an external mouse on mac that has felt right.

    Also, I have never gotten the back/forward side buttons on a mouse working on a mac. On windows, it works eminently just plug it in. No driver installs or anything. But on mac nothing happens when you press them🤯

    Am I the only one having problems with external mouses on mac?

    submitted by /u/calania
    [link] [comments]

    Help with bricking from installation of Big Sur

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:49 AM PST

    Hi! I have a MacBook Pro 15'' mid-2016. I understand it was not a model that should be affected by the bricking issues with Big Sur. I went to run the OS install today and it went through the first round, and when it restarted for some reason it seemed like it needed to go through the whole process again- the OS was still Catalina. Then it starts the process again but the screen just turned off. I would tap the mouse and keyboard and the screen would flash saying three minutes left. That lasted for about an hour until just black so I held the force restart. Now it just seems completely dead. Everything is in lock down here in Oslo. I am at home with nothing else to do as I had knee reconstruction surgery a week ago. My computer is my baby and now I basically have nothing left at home. I am trying to see where I might be able to get someone to fix it but we are in lockdown and it is very hard for me to travel around.

    I tried holding the start button along with command + R. Still nothing! Hoping someone can help.

    submitted by /u/gatesoffire1178
    [link] [comments]

    Mac mini super sluggish with no internet

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:41 AM PST

    Hi team,

    My internet is down today and I'm experiencing some significant speed issues. Programs are taking 20-30 seconds to open when they normally take 1 or 2. I've read about the thing where Big Sur calls home. I thought that only happened the first time you open an application on a computer. Is my mini phoning home every single time I open an app? Is that why my system is so slow today? How do I get the zippy-ness back?

    M1 Mac mini using Big Sur 11.1

    submitted by /u/duquesne419
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel