• Breaking News

    Friday, January 1, 2021

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [December 31]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [December 31]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [December 31]

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:07 AM PST

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    New York adds Apple Pay support to all subway stations, bus routes

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 01:20 PM PST

    Apple purges 46,000 apps from China App Store over lack of licenses

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 05:32 AM PST

    Homebrew currently has 3168 formulas bottled for Apple Silicon in homebrew-core compared to the 530 announced earlier this month

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 08:52 AM PST

    Apple Took Three Years to Cut Ties With Supplier That Used Underage Labor

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 11:50 AM PST

    Steve Jobs knocked Intel's chip design, inflexibility [2011 article but relevant Intel to Apple Silicon transition]

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 04:44 AM PST

    Some Mac software has made it all the way from 68K to M1 - here's why

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 02:04 PM PST

    Two Foldable iPhone Prototypes Reportedly Pass Internal Durability Tests

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:32 AM PST

    Some AirPods Max owners report condensation issue

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 04:53 PM PST

    What to expect from Apple in 2021

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 10:29 AM PST

    Advice : Do NOT attempt to try Apple Mac Trade-in (with Phobio). It’s probably a bait and switch scheme almost edging on fraudulent business practices.

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:36 PM PST

    I have a 2017 iMac 27 inch 512 GB SSD, 4GB graphics card in excellent condition and I wanted to get MacBook Pro with M1 processor. I paid $2100 for this config with education discount. When I contacted Apple support they made it clear that instant Mac trade-in within Apple store is clearly out of question currently, but I could try online trade-in with their partner Phobio. I was quoted $680 initially with online assessment at apple.com. With my previous experiences with iPhone trade-ins with mobile companies which I never had problems with, I thought I would make this attempt especially with iMac relatively stationary with no physical damage and no problems whatsoever. I've also taken pictures of device just before I ship with shipping label in focus.

    However my quote was reduced to $170 from $680 because of - "Your trade quote has been revised due to LCD damage. This includes dead pixels, bruising/burn in, no response on digitizer or any other damage that could be related to the LCD."

    Picture I took before shipping: - https://imgur.com/a/czae8Lj

    Screenshot of Apple/Phobio's inspection with "LCD damage": - https://imgur.com/a/j0F22nX

    Apple/Phobio's quote reduction from $680 to $170:- https://imgur.com/a/z7ndbfZ

    You can be judge of their assessment based on pictures but I've never noticed any LCD damage or dead pixels. And I regularly perform software/screen testing including Apple's device inspection profiler which had no issues whatsoever.

    The entire process of them receiving and inspecting device took 12 days because I was prompt in sending the device within 4 hours. However their quote is only valid 14 days, so depending on where you live there's a good chance your device value will be reduced after initial quote. This package's destination was Austin, Texas.

    Their shipping supplies for iMac 27 is really not confidence inspiring with dents in corners. I took the effort to add more padding just to make sure device is secured. However the main concern is that there is good chance the device will be damaged with Phobio's packaging especially with shipping to me.

    I'll be requesting a return anyway but this is just an informative post for someone who are considering Phobio's trade-in. Honestly this is waste of month's time and effort to handle shipping process and even Apple Care wouldn't have helped here because device is 3 and half years old. My only hope is my device won't damaged with Phobio's subpar packaging. It looks like Phobio's business practice is to bank on customer's patience and sunk cost fallacy. Good for them but this is something you need to aware of. Also consider that this bait and switch scheme would take more than a month or even longer for this entire process, so be prepare for the timeframe.

    Personally I would rather donate my device for someone in need instead of cashing in for $170 for a bait and switch company like Apple (Yes they partner with Phobio but still). I'll be taking back any future Mac purchases and planning to build a Linux machine here after.

    submitted by /u/thatguywho37
    [link] [comments]

    Apple, Prepear enter settlement negotiations over fruit logo trademark

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 08:38 PM PST

    Use iTunes Card to Buy Apple TV Subscription?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 03:51 PM PST

    Found an old, unused iTunes card from way back and am wondering if I can use it to buy a subscription to Apple TV. Is this possible / has anyone here done this before? Thanks

    submitted by /u/EyesOftheDeadhead
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have an account without two-step verification?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 06:49 PM PST

    I planned on resetting an old iPod touch and giving it to my godfather for his music but had an error when signing up in my Apple ID.

    After an hour and a half support call, I was told that the only way to get past the set up of an old iPod touch is by having an account that does not have two-step verification set up and then change the Apple ID to my own.

    Does anyone know someone with an account without two-step verification preferably without a payment option that I could borrow? If not, does anyone recommend any mp3 or itunes players?

    submitted by /u/DooriDay
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone solve this mystery for me - 2 AirPods Max got delivered, Apple can’t find serial # for the other set.

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 03:34 PM PST

    I ordered my AirPods Max when they were released, and somehow I received 2 in the mail. I was never charged, and there is no record of me ordering 2 online, so I kept the pair I ordered, and sold the other pair.

    The buyer tried putting Apple care on the headphones, but Apple had no record of the AirPods Max and said they can't find the serial number or anything and basically said you're SOL if anything goes wrong and if they need service.

    With everything aside, how is this extra set I was sent not in Apples database?

    submitted by /u/inoicic
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel