• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 18, 2020

    Apple Macbook After using PC for the past 20+ years. My wife caved and bought her first MacBook. I used it for a little while, and then bought my first MacBook 12 hours later, mine will be here tomorrow! Stoked to join the family.

    Apple Macbook After using PC for the past 20+ years. My wife caved and bought her first MacBook. I used it for a little while, and then bought my first MacBook 12 hours later, mine will be here tomorrow! Stoked to join the family.


    After using PC for the past 20+ years. My wife caved and bought her first MacBook. I used it for a little while, and then bought my first MacBook 12 hours later, mine will be here tomorrow! Stoked to join the family.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 06:53 AM PDT

    Apple in-store purchase returned: Will I get my money back ? (Canada)

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    Hi guys here is my concern,

    I bought a Macbook pro 10 days ago in an Apple Store (Quebec) which I returned today in an other Apple store (Montreal). During the process the girl told me she didn't need to take my credit card to process the refund (She seemed as surprised as me).

    But when I checked the receipt she sent me by email, it is clearly mentioned:

    "Amount refunded by VISA (Manually) "

    Should I get worried and call them or go back to the Apple store ?

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/LoloBaboon
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you x1000 to whoever recommended Louis Rossman Repair. Amazing

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    Apple's "genius" bar told me last week I needed a logic board replacement ($500) for my 2017 air. I literally bought an entirely new machine because I figured the $500 repair wasn't worth it when I could upgrade to a new air. someone commented on one of my older posts about whether to go about the repair or upgrade, and told me to check out Rossman in NYC. I'm so glad I did within the 14 day return period because I brought it in, a guy took it apart, cleaned up some liquid that had seeped into the trackpad and dried up, and the computer works perfectly again. (not to mention they didn't charge me a dime), Now why couldn't the "genius" bar have done this??? Instead of automatically resorting to needing a whole new logic board?? Scam artists!!! Anyway, thank you to whoever recommended, and thank you ROSSMAN REPAIR GROUP!!!!

    submitted by /u/rose55928
    [link] [comments]

    CalDigit Plus TS3 vs Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Pro

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:09 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I've been searching for days straight and have pretty much set foot on the CalDigit Plus TS3 but I have come across a local store that has the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Pro.

    The problem is I have contacted NZ Apple store and they said they will NOT be restocking their CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock which means I would have to go through the hassle of purchasing from other sites + shipping while the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Pro dock can be purchased locally.

    I haven't seen many reviews about the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock and was wondering which one you guys prefer.

    My Main focus is this dock will be primarily for my studio in which I have a UAD Apollo Twin X (Thunderbolt 3) and a LG 4K DisplayPort monitor.

    Which one do you think I should get?

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/jkm970
    [link] [comments]

    Anyond order an Air lately?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    I placed an order on the 14th for a MacBook Air i5 256GB 16GB and it's supposed to ship by October 30th. Has anyone ordered an air in the last month? How long did it take to arrive or at least show prepare for shipping?

    submitted by /u/greenmymac88
    [link] [comments]

    HELP Chrome Push Notifications NOT WORKING

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 08:40 PM PDT

    I currently have the Macbook Pro Touch Bar 2018. I'm currently on macOS Catalina 10.15.7. I do online tutoring, and the website sends push notifications from Google Chrome to alert me of students needing help.

    However, I think after updating my MacBook, my push notifications from Google Chrome are gone. I can still hear the notification sound alert, but no push notification. I've reset my laptop, reset notification settings on my Mac, and reset notifications on Chrome's settings.

    Anyone else with this problem or has been able to solve it??

    submitted by /u/ibtionuh
    [link] [comments]

    My 3 month review of the 2020 MacBook Air

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    Context: This is my first ever MacBook my dad bought, al my laptops in the past were Windows-based. I'm a student.

    [Design & Hardware] The design of the MacBook Air is outstanding. I love the anodised aluminium finish, which bleeds from the lid to the bottom case (I chose the gold colour). This was a million times better than my previous IdeaPad 330, which is covered in silver plastic. But the bottom always gets too warm. When editing 4K videos. the Mac would get so hot that I had to put it aside as I do not want to burn my thighs. Researching this further revealed that the cooling system is... not "cool". The fan is way of to the side, not even blowing hot air off the CPU, something which I was disappointed when (my dad) dropped S$1449 for this puppy. The wedged design really makes the Mac thinner than it supposed to be, as if it is not thin enough. When coming to the port availability, it was a downside for me. However, I felt that the edges of the Mc were quite sharp, which gets slightly uncomfortable when typing on my lap at an angle. My Ideapad had a plethora of ports, from USB A ports to Ethernet and HDMI. Those were not present on the Mac, which only has dual USB C and an audio port. I had to purchase an adapter that costs S$25 to retrieve those ports back (I'm a student which requires a HDMI display output and USB A ports for my thumb drive). Personally, I would rather have a slightly thicker laptop with plenty of ports than a thin laptop with a few ports. But a silver lining here is that the Mac charges through USB C, and is considerably faster than my Ideapad which uses a barrel port.

    [Display] The IPS panel is the best display I've used ever, all my previous Windows PC were TN panels. The 100% sRGB panel makes colour fantastic on the Mac, while at the same time being not too saturated, making it pleasing to my eyes. The blacks were surprisingly really dark (at low to medium brightness), that I dare say it almost competes with the OLED displays on my tablet and smartphone. However, the display tends to be a bit more fingerprint-prone than my Ideapad, that maybe due to the anti-reflective coating. For me, the glass panel felt more like plastic... I'm not too sure if this is normal due to the anti-reflective coating.

    [Keyboard] The plastic-capped keyboard was very pleasant to type on, but not as good as my Ideapad 330. When compared, the Ideapad has slightly more key travel than the Mac, with the slight curve on every key which makes it hard to miss the key. However, I got used to the keyboard only after a few days. As a past Windows user, I would have a habit of wanting to press the "Windows" key, which is the command key. But I adjusted to the key layout of the Mac, stopping the habit.

    [Trackpad] The trackpad on the Mac was fabulous, and is the best trackpad I've used, period. The large size allows me to track once without re-doing it multiple times like on my previous Windows machines. At first, the force touch-based trackpad felt weird to use, but eventually I got used to it and I can safely say that the clicking of the trackpad is better than all my past Windows laptops. The glass surface also makes tracking a breeze, something which is not present on my Ideapad, which is plastic and feels "sticky" when tracking.

    [Speakers] The speakers absolutely blows my Ideapad and my previous Windows-based laptops out of the water. It can create a little surround sound, making the sound follow the subjects on the screen when it moves (I'm guessing this is a software magic of Dolby Atmos). This was a day and night difference when compared to my Ideapad, which has downward firing speakers that sounded soft and tinny. The base on the Mac is so good, I dare say it is better than my Sony television. I really do appreciate the speakers at the side, as it can be heard very clearly at almost every way I use my Mac. However, I did expect the Mac to have louder volumes but considering the thickness (or thinness) of the Mac, I'm not complaining.

    [Software] The Mac (obviously) runs MacOS, which has some major differences when compared to Windows. For starters, it does not have a Windows key that activates a Start menu, instead having the user to click on the Apple logo that reveals a drop down menu, like the Start menu on Windows. There was some learning curves to the software, and till date, I'm actually still learning some of it, albeit more complex ones. But I was able to quickly learn the basics like the desktop. I was pretty disappointed when I could not just drag a window to the left or right side of the screen to "snap" it as, correct me if I'm wrong, this gesture is patented by Microsoft. But I was able to overcome it by installing a third party program named "Rectangle". It is quite difficult for me to say which operating system (Mac or Windows) is harder or easier to use, as they have their pros and cons. I really like the customisable hot corners, I use it to easily switch to my desktop by hovering the pointer to the bottom right corner without needing to click on the minimise button. I also can easily see which programs and windows are running by hovering the pointer to the bottom left on the screen, both gestures are not available on Windows. Zoom and Google Meet on the Mac was fantastic, there was no audio issues or lag at all.

    [Battery Life] Battery life on the Mac is a champ, I was able to use it for two days without plugging it in (when all energy saving modes are on), something which is not heard on my Ideapad. As mentioned earlier, I was really happy that the Mac charges through USB C, and fills to a hundred percent at around slightly less than 2 hours. The energy saving modes on the Mac just makes the machine slowly sip on the battery. I mainly use the Mac for word processing, YouTube and Apple TV videos.

    [Overall] The general hardware is a mixed bag, from having the beautiful anodised aluminium, to having only three ports on the Mac, in a pursuit for thinness for Apple. They also nailed their software, which I would say has 60% lesser bugs than on my Ideapad which runs Windows. They were absolutely right when Apple stated that their display was industry leading. They can produce extraordinary colour accuracy. They really got a lot of things correct, but I don't think it lives up the hype like the 2017s Macs. With the upcoming Apple Silicon Macs, those may just be the Macs to buy, with many improvements along the way.

    (p.s. This is like my first tech review ever and I'm typing this at 1 plus AM, so forgive me if there are any confusing or logical sentences. Drop a comment down below for any questions, feedback or just general thoughts!)

    submitted by /u/bluezombiehead
    [link] [comments]

    Decreasing camera resolution on macbook 2012

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:41 PM PDT

    Is there any way to decrease the camera resolution on a macbook 2012? I have 5 macbooks running all the time doing zoom sessions and ms teams sessions (online school). My internet plan has a data cap and I'm wondering how to save data. Zoom and teams do not allow to lower resolutions for video chats. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/polartolerator
    [link] [comments]

    We will see a mpb 16 ''intel in late 2020 ?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:27 PM PDT

    We will see a mpb 16 ''intel in late 2020 ?

    Some thoughts on Apple

    I have a mbp late 2013

    a beautiful device, perhaps the best in terms of innovation assembled by Apple, I would like to buy a new macbook pro 16 '', if this were to come out in late 2020 or early 2021, but if apple where to go on ARM I don't think I would buy a mbp, for a thousand reasons

    The first that there are not all these advantages in front of all these non-advantages, the performances when there are no music or video and 3D editing programs, are nil, and then I don't want to give a billionaire corporate $ 3k to support her idea and wall street, having in front of me the unknown, maybe the first decent mbp with cpu arm could come out in 2024/25, I'm sure that with a bit of advertising and marketing the fools would never fail

    submitted by /u/desnos
    [link] [comments]

    The difference of a generation.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    Finally upgraded my 2009 MacBook and I'm patiently waiting for it to arrive. Ordered 10/12 and expecting it to take about a month or so. Will be so worth the wait!!

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 09:36 AM PDT

    Student who needs a new laptop

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    I am currently using a slow chromebook for my fully virtual school (8 hours a day, 5 days a week) The chromebook is too slow and I can't use it. Should I wait for new macbook silicon to come out or just give in to a windows laptop? For school I do a lot of projects so the macbook has to be somewhat fast.

    submitted by /u/Arindom69
    [link] [comments]

    Pop-up website on safari

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:10 PM PDT

    So on my MacBook I started to get pop-up websites (spam) and I went to preferences and chose to block but they still appear. What can I do?

    submitted by /u/The_saintt_
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Keeps Crashing

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    So back in July, I ordered a brand new MacBook Pro 13'. I was really excited because this would be the first time I ever got to own a MacBook and this was my upgrade from the $200 Chromebook and moms $900 Dell (I would use both laptops). So when I took delivery of the MacBook, I was really excited to see what it was all about. But I had immediately run into some issues. First was the Touch Bar, which kept on freezing and required me to restart to computer. I had this issue fixed with Apple then I ran into another issue. The MacBook would keep crashing on the simplest tasks. I should mention that I had gotten the upgraded quad core Intel i7 and 16 gb of ram, so I found it surprising that it would crash so often. I never had issues with crashing on my Chromebook and the Dell, which are much more cheaper then the Mac. The things that I do on it are also very basic. I do things on mainly on Google Docs and forms, and google Meet. With this crashing thing becoming more and more common, It makes me regret buying this. Other options that I had when purchasing the MacBook was the Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 and Dell XPS 13. Does anyone know what to do. And is this crashing thing common in MacBooks. I feel like 6 times in the month that I have had it seems like a lot.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/YODA0786
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro - Butterfly Keyboard replacement?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    Hi, I have a MacBook Pro from 2017 and I just recently noticed that some of my keys are getting lose. I took one of them out and managed to tighten the minor plastic hinges, that seemed to do the trick. But today it happened again and this time oneof them broke. So now my D is very lose and I can feel it happening to a few more..

    I've been trying to find somewhere to buy separate keys to replace them with, but can't find any good options? I know Apple has got a lot of criticism for the Butterly keyboard, but this is just ridiculous. Fairly new computer, not used more than average.

    Any tips are welcomed!

    Kind regards,

    Christoffer

    submitted by /u/DKxDK
    [link] [comments]

    Can I restore from a time machine backup after doing a clean install on a new ssd?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    Short version: either ssd or ssd cable has failed in my early 2011 MacBook pro. I plan to swap in a new ssd, do a new macOS install and use the device for a day to make sure it works fine before I connect my external hard drive with my time machine backup to restore from. Is this something I can do? Will there be any issues ?

    Long version: the symptoms are MacBook switches off after apple logo appears. Original hard drive died in 2017. I replaced it and that died a few months later then replaced it with a ssd Samsung 850 evo in 2018. Worked fine since aside from a crash or two.

    I am intimidated by the cable swapping process. I feel like if it isn't at fault I may damage it swapping it out and cause further problems. Hence why I just want to swap the ssd only and test it out. I also don't want to restore from my backup straight away in case it somehow corrupts my only backup as my current ssd has corrupted. I only want to connect my backup if I am 100% certain the MacBook is working fine.

    I plan to swap ssd then let internet recovery complete then via disk recovery and disk utilities, reformat the ssd and then install whatever recommends macOS. Test the MacBook by closing opening, switching on and off etc. If all is fine THEN enter into recovery mode and restore from backup.

    I want to make sure this is actually doable and I haven't over looked anything. Will there be any problems?

    submitted by /u/nashthinks
    [link] [comments]

    Screen + battery repair

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    I have a question, my 2017 macbook pro screen and battery are completely messed up. There are 2 cracks in my screen and I literally can't see anything anymore + my battery dies at 60-70 percent. Is it worth repairing both or should I just get a new one?

    submitted by /u/Heavy-Adeptness507
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook numbers keys non-responsive

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    Hey Everyone, I'm not completely sure if this is the correct subreddit. However, my MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

    Specs: - 1,6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 - 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB Running: - Mac OS Catelina 10.15.7 (19H2)

    has been acting up lately. For some reason the number keys one - nine are very inconsistent and mostly non-responsive. Apart from those keys my keyboard works perfect, even the 0 key works just fine. I have no idea whether this is a common problem. I have tried a PRAM reset which didn't seem to work. Sometimes the numbers keys do seem to work for a while, followed by hours of them being non-responsive.

    Can anyone help me or has any idea what could be the problem? thanks in advance

    ps I doubt this would influence the keyboard, but my battery really needs replacement and has surpassed 1400 cyclis. However it does not seem to have expanded or anything.

    submitted by /u/Basdss
    [link] [comments]

    I cannot connect to the internet even though my other devices can

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    Hello, I was wondering if you could please help me. My laptop will not connect to a particular network (router), but connects just fine to another network (DSL). It is a 5G router that I just got. Two cellphones Pixel 3 and iPhone 11, another Macbook (2019), and two PlayStations can connect without any problems. I can connect, but this message appears: you are not connected to the internet

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/maldhowayanr
    [link] [comments]

    Buyers Remorse?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    I am trading in my early-2015 MacBook Air (i5/8gb RAM/256gb). Last week was the last week of educational promotion with the airbuds- and I use this device for work(teacher - we use google chrome and Gsuite) and personal. It's my go-to. So I purchased the 2020 MBA i5/8gb RAM/256gb. Gsuite lately has been running somewhat slow on my devices - even my work issued ones and that bothers me. I spoke to 2 apple service people on chats and they said the new MBA would be great. I didn't want to go just that extra little amount to do the MBP 2020 base version.

    My MBA hasn't shipped/arrived yet, husband opened the airbuds we received with promotion, and I just got the trade in kit yesterday to return my device.

    Now I'm thinking why didn't I just do the MBP... any thoughts/suggestions? Maybe I just have to be diligent on clearing chromes cache? I hate when this happens...

    submitted by /u/kikibcj
    [link] [comments]

    2015 Air, part of the screen is suddenly black/flickering

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    Macbook Air 2020 i5 users please help!

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    I'm interested in you opinions about the macbook.

    What do you do on it and how hot does it get? Does it work as you hoped it would? (What did you hope?)

    I'm concerned about the cooling system. I would get the macbook pro but even the air is out of my budget.

    submitted by /u/tthjns0
    [link] [comments]

    Hello Everyone. I need your help. My trackpad and keyboard is not working for several minutes after the sleep mode. By the way i use macbook air 2020 with Magic Mouse 2. Who knows the reason?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 04:36 AM PDT

    Any way to reset passwort from a macbook pro A1226 (2007)?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:27 AM PDT

    Hello,

    i found the old macbook of my dad in the basement. He died a few years ago, so i cant ask him for his passwort. I want to sell the macbook or give it to a friend. How do i reset the passwort / make it usable again? I have no idea about apple products, i tried to google a few things but it didnt work.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/pupsimbauch
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel