• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 2, 2020

    macOS TIL Right Click on Launchpad

    macOS TIL Right Click on Launchpad


    TIL Right Click on Launchpad

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    TIL Right Click on Launchpad

    Right-click on Launchpad gives a scrollable list of all your apps, click on one to launch it.

    I've been using Macs since 2013 and I never knew this. It makes finding and launching apps so much easier than opening Launchpad or using Finder. This is an an epiphany for me.

    Is this news to anybody else or am I just a duffus?

    https://preview.redd.it/xxlrbnfnbie51.jpg?width=800&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=503c9c07bdb65acfe85d7bf1f46d04f691512d17

    submitted by /u/Chrome_Armadillo
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Photos no longer even maintains the filenames of the photos you take...

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 05:41 PM PDT

    So I'm using MacOS 10.15.6 and I just imported a bunch photos for the first time in a few months. Note that for many years I have occasionally shot RAW format and I have some AppleScripts I use to expose the RAW files hiding in Photos so I can manually process them.

    So, I go to do this again but... my script keeps failing. Turns out, that while Photos may TELL you it called an image "DSC_2141.JPG", in fact it has renamed the image file to what appears to be a 36 character UUID - and this new file name is not, in fact, available to AppleScript.

    Seriously, Apple?!?

    submitted by /u/porkchop_d_clown
    [link] [comments]

    Apple and its attention to detail - Xcode's tab's close icon

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    Apple and its attention to detail - Xcode's tab's close icon

    Not only the usability of Xcode is questionable. Even such obvious things as a tab's close icon is done wrong.

    https://preview.redd.it/4dcxalxh8ge51.png?width=976&format=png&auto=webp&s=1da85bced164d2239e47d780f4ecf8ce34d5a156

    submitted by /u/Loreno10
    [link] [comments]

    problems with a old mac

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    I have a old Mac OS 8.6 It is a powerful Macintosh I have problems with my extensions when the Mac boots up It says Welcome to Mac and below that Extensions is turned off and I go to the extension panel and turn on the extension I want and restart and the same thing happened without the extension. Does anyone know what can cause this problem and what can I do to fix it?

    submitted by /u/DoobieRufio
    [link] [comments]

    High contrast logging screen big sur. How do I fix it? I reinstalled via recovery.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 02:03 AM PDT

    Should I upgrade my Mac OS?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 01:39 AM PDT

    I'm currently running MacOS Sierra on a mid 2014 MBP 13" retina.

    Sierra has been fine for years, no real issues. I work in tech, however, and it seems that there are lots of software projects that no longer support Sierra (I get warnings from homebrew all the time). I'm also running out of space on my 1TB drive because I think I may have partitioned half of it for a Linux distro that I never got around to using.

    So I'm thinking about upgrading my OS. I've been backing up everything on a 2TB drive via Time Machine for years.

    1. Should I upgrade my OS?
    2. Which OS should I upgrade to? I heard Catalina has some real problems, also Big Sur seems to be right around the corner but idk if my laptop will be supported. Any software developers have thoughts on this?
    3. What should be the order of operations I use to upgrade? I'm down to do a fresh install, there's a lot of garbage on this boy and as long as I can access all the data on the Time Machine drive when I need to get an old file or something I'm cool with that.

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/clotch
    [link] [comments]

    What is system memory and how do I cut it down?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 01:23 AM PDT

    What is system memory and how do I cut it down?

    I routinely do house cleaning on my laptop, but evidently not a very good job. Can someone please tell me what in the system is taking 41GB of space and how do I clean cut it down?

    Posting from a 128GB Core i5 MBA mid-2013

    https://preview.redd.it/pirfffbztje51.png?width=196&format=png&auto=webp&s=7e9d802d2afdc025d75cfa2618a447349f913744

    submitted by /u/Wafflesnom
    [link] [comments]

    Reformat from case sensitive to case insensitive

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 11:29 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I posted this on the mac subreddit but didn't get any answers, so thought I would ask here. Just a quick question. I was on beta (worked great for awhile but ended having a lot of strange issues that weren't worth it) but ended up resetting via internet recovery. Ever since my format has been APFS Case sensitive. I've seen and read a lot of articles of how to change it but I've had a lot of issues (carbon copy wouldn't work, haven't been able to find the areas they talk about). Can anyone here either send a good link or explain it a little more clear/concise for me? I really appreciate it. I can't run steam and some other applications with case sensitive. I made a new disk for steam but that didn't work either, it said my user is supposed to be on that disk but was afraid to move my user into that disk. I just need some info about the generalities

    Also, I accidentally deleted the Macintosh hd disk, meaning to erase all inside of it not the disk itself, is that okay? Are there going to be issues? If so how should I go about restoring it? Sadly no time machine back up on my end (I know, amateur hour here) Thank you

    submitted by /u/LostArt1998
    [link] [comments]

    Telegram Not Responding, and I cannot Force Quit it. Nor can delete it. Help!

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    Can someone help me??? i set google as deafult searcher in safari but's it's still search in yahoo... It's so frustrating!!!

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 06:26 AM PDT

    Play/pause functions no longer working

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    Hi, in the last couple of days, the play/pause button on my Mac mini has stopped working. The first time, I shut it down and removed the power cord for 15 seconds and it came right. However, this didn't work a second time.

    Additionally, I used BetterTouchTool to remap F5 to the Play/Pause function. Pressing F5 also has no effect now. It looks like the underlying command isn't being activated.

    Any advice on what to do?

    submitted by /u/KiwiNFLFan
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to get notified when a Mac has been shut down or restarted?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 08:47 AM PDT

    Hi

    I'm having some issues with my 2018 macmini lately, and getting random shut downs around once a week (which is probably due to Docker and my ridiculous 8gb ram, but that is another subject not related here) Since I host many services there, I need to get notified somewhere when this happens so I can at least manually turn it on again.

    I need any kind of service that runs on the Mac, and checks it's status with something in the cloud, let's say every 5-10 mins, and then send me a notification if during that period the Mac hasn't updated its status. It's something very simple in theory but I've been looking everywhere and can't find anything.

    I can't do it with my router (Unifi UDM) as the notification has to be set for all the wired devices, I can't chose only one.

    Any kind of suggestion is welcome, and I don't care if it's by email, pushover, pushbullet etc... Everything that is simple (maybe a simple ping done automated) and multi platform works for me.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/benftrex
    [link] [comments]

    icloud stuck at 'waiting to upload' has anyone been having this issue lately or for some time?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 08:57 PM PDT

    Ive searched the entire internet it seems and I can't find solution to this problem as I have been having it for a while. Photos works fine, but uploading anything else to the drive is stuck at "waiting to upload". All my search led me to deadends and no thing to try except reset or log out and log back in.

    One more thing...when i logged in to icloud through browser I can't delete folders...but files I can..

    submitted by /u/gqtrees
    [link] [comments]

    How do I download all of my content from iCloud onto an external hard drive? I would like to clear out my iPhoto’s and iCloud completely.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 05:23 AM PDT

    I have a MacBook Air and an iPhone 8. I am struggling quite a bit with downloading all of my stored iCloud content on an external hard drive. Is this possible?

    submitted by /u/pipps200
    [link] [comments]

    If I delete and iMessage sent from mac does it also delete on the phone?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    iPhone Xs and MacBook Pro on the most updated software. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/audmrod
    [link] [comments]

    Restart Loop after Terminal Command Interruption

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    I was running a terminal command to clear out my .DS_store files, and shortly after running this command, my computer died. Before this happened, there were a few popups asking for my administrator password and I mistakenly denied access.. Clumsy and problematic, I know.

    Now, after getting some juice in, my computer is stuck in a reboot loop. I am able to log in but as soon as progress reaches the end, it restarts. I cannot boot into safe mode but I've tried verbose mode (which hasn't been helpful) and recovery mode. But other than that, I am stuck.

    I have tried booting into single user mode to create a different admin user and attempt to recover my data that way, but I am running into issues with mounting my drive.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get out of this loop?

    submitted by /u/drmarmalademd
    [link] [comments]

    MBP 2012 with new ssd - should I install catalina or mojave?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 08:09 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I am not sure which one I should choose, but I heard catalina decreases performance of macbook pro's of 2012. I have 8GB ram, 1TB SSD its a non-retina display macbook pro of the year 2012(mid).

    I really want to have good performance thats my main thing, the rest of the gimmicks is not necessary for me.

    submitted by /u/nhlomid
    [link] [comments]

    Double mail notification sound

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    Hey friends!

    Tittle. Every time I receive a new mail I hear a first sound and see the notification like it should and after some seconds, it rings again, with no visual notification. Thought macos would have that same "repeat notification" setting that iOS has enabled for it's message app but couldn't find it. I use gmail through mail tho.

    Anyone know whats going on? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/wantedbr
    [link] [comments]

    macOS 10.14.6 iTunes covered in question marks, any ideas to fix it?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 03:41 AM PDT

    Mojave video thumbnails no play button to preview videos?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 02:44 PM PDT

    Mojave video thumbnails no play button to preview videos?

    I don't know why but it stopped working. I used to be able to hover the cursor over the icon and I would see a play logo and preview the video as is, but it stopped working.

    https://preview.redd.it/lv9vjatvnge51.png?width=248&format=png&auto=webp&s=b8164c2ebf52ceea75e115713f048b7de69e86cd

    submitted by /u/Baraldini
    [link] [comments]

    Apple and its attention to detail - Xcode's tab's close icon

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    Not only the usability of Xcode is questionable. Even such obvious things as a tab's close icon is done wrong.

    https://preview.redd.it/4dcxalxh8ge51.png?width=976&format=png&auto=webp&s=1da85bced164d2239e47d780f4ecf8ce34d5a156

    submitted by /u/Loreno10
    [link] [comments]

    How do I install razer synapse 3 on mac os

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    I just got a new razer keyboard and wanted to install the drivers , but I could only install razer synapse 2 and for some reason it doesn't detect my keyboard. Help pls

    submitted by /u/ItsRoland
    [link] [comments]

    Moving IOS backup to external drive

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    Am I correct in saying that if I move an iOS backup to an external drive as long as I don't edit, rename or extract content from the backup files I'll be okay to move it back to the designated folder on my Mac if I have the need to restore my phone from a backup?

    submitted by /u/tomparrry
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel