• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 2, 2020

    iPad Sitting up or standing down?

    iPad Sitting up or standing down?


    Sitting up or standing down?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 03:54 AM PDT

    The iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard is not a Substitute for a Laptop - Student's Perspective

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    TL;DR: The iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard sucks at word processing.

    I recently read a post by u/Chihuahuagoes2 here on this subreddit regarding his experience as a lawyer and how he found the iPad Pro unsuitable for his work. For some background, I am a current masters student who needed to upgrade from my 2014 Macbook Pro that needed a logic board replacement. I purchased my iPad Pro 12.9" about two months ago and also purchased a Magic Keyboard, which I promptly returned.

    From what I had researched on the internet, the information available and general recommendation for the iPad Pro as a laptop or Macbook replacement was heavily favoring it as a powerful device. I chose it over buying another Macbook as I heard that big changes were coming to the Mac lineup and the iPad Pro may be slightly more future-proof. I already have a desktop PC that I use for more serious projects, so I wanted a portable device that I would enjoy and the iPad Pro seemed to fit all the categories.

    Articles that did mention shortcomings never seemed to go into the details of the issues nor look into it from a student's perspective. With that said, many medical students on Youtube have praised the iPad Pro as a great tool for sketching and drawing anatomy notes, but forget to mention the issues it has with word processing. Also, many of the other reviews created by other Youtubers and tech review companies are heavily focused on the video editing capability of the device, often giving it high praise. Here are some problems I encountered and some that you may want to consider before purchasing an iPad Pro over any other laptop.

    1. If you are in a field that requires any type of academic writing that needs to be properly cited, you will have a very bad time. Multi-tasking is very difficult and clumsy. I am constantly resizing and scrolling through academic journals to complete essays and this was much harder that I expected. Even with the trackpad, windows were hard to control and navigate and I never really got used to it. Honestly, I find the multi-window system on Mac OS to be bad compared to Windows, so there may be some bias there, but yeah it was not a good time.
    2. Navigating several windows? instances? of the same app was difficult and not possible on some applications. The Files app is really not comparable to either Finder or File Explorer and I was fighting with it more than I would like to admit. I tried to download a .docx file and the iPad just refused to open it in Word. I used Google Drive, Gmail, and even tried to AirDrop it to myself and it just would not open. I eventually go it open by compressing it and unzipping it on the iPad itself only to have all the formatting changed.
    3. Word processing on the iPad was the weakest point of all. Many formatting tools in Microsoft Word necessary for APA format were either missing or impossible to navigate. In the event that I did find what I was looking for, it would either not respond or the whole app would crash.
    4. Finally, I had many issues using web-based programs on the iPad as well, even if there was a specific app created for it. My school's VPN refused to work, Blackboard would often crash or become unresponsive, and online labs or similar programs would just not run. While this is not the fault of the iPad, it is a barrier to expect if you want to use this as your main device.

    If I could go back and I needed to use portable electronic at school if there was no such thing as coronavirus, I would definitely look into getting a cheaper Macbook Pro or even an Air and regular iPad with an Apple Pencil for the drafting that I need to do. The iPad Pro is a beautiful device that I love to use for recreation, but for my situation and workflow it really hasn't performed the greatest. If any students have any questions about the iPad Pro and school let me know and I would love to help you guys out.

    submitted by /u/bigbougieboi
    [link] [comments]

    Whelp, that was a $149 oops.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    DBrand Magic Keybaord skins are out! (Has anyone bought one already ?)

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 04:49 AM PDT

    Does reading on an iPad actually strain your eyes?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 02:29 AM PDT

    I ask because we hear quite often that reading on the iPad is bad for you. However, I've seen a few studies and they all seem to conclude that strain induced by reading on the iPad is actually no different from strain from reading on eink found on devices like Kindle and Kobo.

    Does anyone know anything about this?

    submitted by /u/ActualStreet
    [link] [comments]

    I want to stick an iPad to a window

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 01:21 PM PDT

    Hey folks,
    I want to attach/detach an iPad to a window and type from the windowsill. I am searching for a great quality-cost ratio.
    Someone of you did the same and can share advice?
    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/aspublic
    [link] [comments]

    I use the folio packaging as a travel case. Let’s hope my new iPad won’t bend in my backpack on its first trip. Or is bendgate not a thing anymore?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 01:10 PM PDT

    iPad Air 3 case with vertical kickstand

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 01:08 PM PDT

    I just got an iPad Air 3 and need a case. I will be using it for work purposes. I'm a sales rep so customers will be looking at it daily to browse our catalogs on the iPad, which needs to be vertical for viewing correctly.

    However, every case I find that has a vertical kickstand with the case is either black or has a black outer edge around the case. Or if it's not black, it has gray/silver. My iPad is the gold one, so it has a white front and gold back. I don't want to put a case with any black or silver/gray on my beautiful new gold iPad.

    Anyone know of any cases that are clear or any pretty color in rose gold or gold that is sturdy when standing vertically?

    submitted by /u/missbeastmode
    [link] [comments]

    Best case and screen protector for iPad Pro 12.9 in. 2020?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 08:46 AM PDT

    No idea which screen protector is good.

    But I narrowed down my case list to the following: 1. Zugu Alpha 2. Spigen Tough Armor Pro 3. Otterbox Symmetry 4. Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro (will remove their screen protector)

    Any other recommendations?

    submitted by /u/cheny2
    [link] [comments]

    What could I use for programming on an iPad Pro?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    Hi everyone! I recently purchased an iPad pro with the intention to also purchase a laptop, and use said laptop as my primary device. However, the laptop purchase might be delayed by a month or two, so I'll have to start college with just the iPad. For context, I'm a Computer science major.

    As a result, I would like suggestions for preferably an app/apps (but I wouldn't mind an alternative method) that I could use for programming. The app/s should be able to at least facilitate me programming with python, java, javascript, html5, and css. If there are any apps for other programming languages that you know of, feel free to mention them as well.

    Thank you so much for the help!!!

    submitted by /u/Superfruitdrastic
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: Anyone else’s items stuck at chek lap kok, hong kong?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 11:12 AM PDT

    original post

    Last I checked my ipad left Anchorage. Although my expected delivery date is pushed 2 days out. Here is what the tracking shows as of right now.

    Thanks all to help me keep sane.

    submitted by /u/tr0j4n_v1ru5
    [link] [comments]

    Differences between Autodesk Sketchbook and Procreate

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 02:14 AM PDT

    Before I plunge in and invest in Procreate, I just wanted to know what the differences were between them and what makes people tend to gear more towards the latter?

    submitted by /u/strgzn
    [link] [comments]

    Professionals, what apps you wished existed?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 09:03 AM PDT

    Hey! I feel that the iPad's biggest issue is the software. There are some things I just cannot do in it because there's no app for it. I'm learning some programming and I tough maybe I could make my own apps for my necessities, the problem is that I need an apple computer for that (too expensive for me.)

    For those who's work is dependent on specific software, what app would you like to see on an iPad?

    Mine are these (in parenthesis, the ones I use on Desktop):

    - Game engines (Unity, etc...)

    - Proper 3D modelling software (Blender)

    - IDE's with Git integrated (VS Code)

    - Pixel Art app that's not Pixaki (I use Aseprite and some others)

    - PBR Texturing and texture authoring app (Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Quixel Mixer)

    - Proper frame by frame and skeletal animation app (Spriter Pro)

    - 3D Rendering (Marmoset Toolbag)

    - Retopology (Nvil)

    - Something that can be used to do advanced video editing, motion graphics, etc... (Hitfilm Express)

    - Would also like to see Corel Painter on IOS :)

    I'm sure there should be already an app that works for some of that, if you know it, please tell me, thanks!

    submitted by /u/simonsanchezart
    [link] [comments]

    Is the iPad Pro a good secondary machine for students? I've seen a lot of students using a setup of main desktop machine for heavier tasks and iPad for note taking and such, does this really work?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 07:33 AM PDT

    I'm genuinely curious to hear from any iPP users with this use case. I see some people saying the iPad is designed for a use case like this, while some say it's just not great and get a laptop for the same price. Does anyone use this similar setup, and if so, what's your experience been like?

    I have a desktop machine and have ordered an iPad already, but I'm becoming a bit skeptical so I just want to hear some experiences.

    submitted by /u/popcornlives
    [link] [comments]

    How to keep an iPad Pro in a backpack?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    At some point I need to carry my 2020 12.9 around for school. What should I do or get to make sure it doesn't bend in the backpack?

    submitted by /u/WhereisPopcorn
    [link] [comments]

    How much battery life do you get out of the iPad Pro 11 inch with MK and pencil connected?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 12:28 AM PDT

    Hi,

    It seems that Apple promises around 10 hours of battery life. I think I get only half of it, around 5 hours max. I don't do any weird stuff, mostly Safari, reddit etc.

    My MK and Apple Pencil are always connected. What do you guys have for batter life?

    submitted by /u/AaddeMos
    [link] [comments]

    Magnetic Marks on Apple Pencil 2nd Gen Prevention??

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    What's the best way to prevent the magnet marks/scuffing on the Apple Pencil 2nd gen / iPad? I have a iPad case that also fits the Apple Pencil but I'm not sure if a slim silicone case would protect against the magnet marks?

    Does having a silicone case cause difficulty with charging/connectivity of the Apple Pencil to the iPad?

    Lastly, would a decent alternative to a case be to add thin tape to both the iPad/Apple Pencil at the charging area/right side of the iPad to prevent the dark magnetic marks?

    submitted by /u/bcsra
    [link] [comments]

    Magic keyboard covered by ipad Apple care if purchased through amazon?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 04:15 AM PDT

    Title

    Ipad is arriving soon and amazon delivery time is much quicker than Apple so I'll probably purchase it there. I was just wondering if Apple care would cover it even though I didn't purchase through Apple store. Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/Owen-Havercroft
    [link] [comments]

    Hard drive format for IPad and Tv

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    So I purchased a 4K smart tv to view my 4K movies stored on my iPad/PC. When I cast it through AirPlay or Google cast the quality is MUCH lower.

    I decided to save the movies on a hard drive and connect directly to my TV. It worked just fine except my iPad would not read the hard drive in NTFS so I switched it to extFAT format.

    Problem is my tv doesn't recognize exFAT format. Is there a format that will be recognized both on my iPad and TV?

    Update: Just realized how stupid I sound complaining my Tv doesn't play 4K movies as well as my IPad when people are just trying to make ends meet during a pandemic.

    submitted by /u/Oak97s
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys use to clean your screen?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    Been noticing my iPad pro's screen has been getting dirtier than id like from general use. I was wondering if there's anything I could be using to clean it that'd be better suited than a paper towel or something?

    What do you all use for cleaning your screens?

    submitted by /u/avengercj
    [link] [comments]

    Work iPad Setup (new everything?)

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    My small business just gave me an iPad for road use. Nothing is setup and I'm pretty savvy. I already use multiple iDevices in my home.

    I just wanted to use the collective to brainstorm pros and cons of setting this new device up with my personal account or should I create a new apple ID to keep things separate?

    I'm with a small business (4 office workers including founder/president), good job security, very good working relationship with boss. I'm essentially middle management overseeing all other workers outside the office. Just wanted some ideas I hadn't thought of for pros and cons of each how to set this up.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TBoneStaek
    [link] [comments]

    Notes that sync to Google drive

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 03:39 PM PDT

    I am in the Google ecosystem but decided to get an iPad air with apple pencil as a teacher having moved to a lot of online teaching. I've managed to make good use off Google drive and organized my workflow pretty well on the iPad, but I am having a hard time syncing my notes or calendars automatically.

    I was thinking of getting goodnotes 5 and getting calendar templates in it, but I am wondering how well it syncs to Google drive and how practical it is to use from an Android phone. I've also seen goodnotes used as a teacher tool for presentations. It might be an interesting switch from always using PowerPoint or Keynote.

    Notability seems like a good option too but it seems less useful as a presentation tool.

    submitted by /u/RobinFood
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel