• Breaking News

    Monday, August 10, 2020

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [August 09]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [August 09]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [August 09]

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Shortcuts Sunday - [August 09]

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:10 AM PDT

    Hello /r/Apple, and welcome to "Shortcuts Sunday".

    The "Shortcuts Sunday" thread is your place to share your Shortcuts with the /r/Apple community.

    To share your Shortcut:

    1. Open the Shortcuts app
    2. Tap the "..." button next to the shortcut you will be sharing
    3. Tap the "Share" icon
    4. Finally, tap the "Copy iCloud link" icon and paste it to your comment.

    When sharing your shortcuts, please add a brief description of what your shortcut does and how it is useful. Bonus points if you can include a screen record of the shortcut in action.

    Don't forget to visit the /r/shortcuts subreddit for more information, guides, and shortcuts!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    16” MBP and the T2 Dilemma

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 02:04 PM PDT

    I have owned macs for around 15 years and I have never had an issue more than this machine. Last night I finally got time to look into why my machine would not update to 10.15.6.

    I tried everything: combo installer, safe mode, external USB, clean install. All failed, even the clean install, and I was only able to get back in because I had a time machine back up.

    Called Apple this morning and they looked at my logs and said it was the T2 security ship (I hate this thing). They instructed me that i would need to bring it in for a flash and that it was not something I could do at home.

    I googled away, and landed on this page:

    https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-2/revive-or-restore-mac-firmware-apdebea5be51/mac

    I followed the revive guide, and bam, it worked. After 10 hours of troubleshooting, it was the chip.

    submitted by /u/bearyoverit
    [link] [comments]

    Apple returns fire in Koss AirPods patent infringement battle

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    Kuo: iPhone Shipments Could Decline Up to 30% If Apple Forced to Remove WeChat From Worldwide App Store

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:19 PM PDT

    Apple goes to war with the gaming industry

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 02:13 AM PDT

    Can two bluetooth headsets connect to a mac at the same time, for watcihing movies together.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 12:20 AM PDT

    My sister and husband are going on a road trip and taking my neice and neice's pal.

    My neice just got a mac book air for school. Its hers not the schools, its a normal Air. She loves it btw.

    Can neice and pal both pair their airpods to the mac, so they can watch a movie together, or do they need to get wired headphones and a splitter?

    Being tweens they are irrationallly excited about the airpods and using wired headphones instead is like, omg what are you over 30 or something, who even uses wires anymore???

    And I doubt they would be willing to share a pair of airpods either, gross.

    I know macs and I have done 30 whole seconds of internet research and the answer seems to be: wired headphones and a splitter, but I thought I would throw it out there and ask. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/sprockety
    [link] [comments]

    In 2020 is there any reason to switch to a Macbook?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    Since the Windows is stable currently (as of 2019-2020 experience, never faced any BSOD), and my 750$ laptop can boot in 7-8sec now and shutdown in 2-3sec, wake from sleep in under a sec. And has 10-11 hours of battery with new ACPI drivers & smaller manufacturing technology of processor. Windows now also offers all the CLI tools of Unix/Linux to be executed via the WSL built-in, so there's not much of difference between a normal laptop and an Apple one.

    Is there still any good reasons to switch to Macs now (I was planning to but I'm now getting more convinced not to)?

    submitted by /u/lycheejuice225
    [link] [comments]

    Dead link in apple.com/business, "Reports and Resources" → "View Augmented Reality in Business (PDF)"

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    Cool future for 3d perhaps...

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    Snuck in at the end of one of their developer vids was a version of cinema 4d with the new metal viewport. NOTE this was amazing.. and still not a native apple silicon app! This was under emulation still! The future looks bright...especially if its this good before even being optimized and ported to apples new architecture! Skip to 32:20 time: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10631

    I could totally see Apple maybe making a 3d rendering type of "Afterburner" card both for mac pro and an egpu version. Perhaps even a mini version for inside laptops/minis

    submitted by /u/cj_adams
    [link] [comments]

    I upgraded my Mac Mini’s hard drive and made a fusion drive

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    Applauding Apple Customer Service

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    Just want to share how amazing Apple customer service is.

    Long time in Apple ecosystem, recently bought Macbook Pro 16 inch after 7 years of using Macbook Pro 13 inch that now is working for my parents. Also bought Apple Watch Gen 5 but forgot that September is around the corner and Gen 6 is almost here so, after a week of use, I went back to return the watch and just once again blown away but how pleasant the experience was. I was asked no questions, they didnt even look at it, just asked for receipt or asked why I wanted to return it. I was in and out in a minute.

    I will be forever Apple customer, thank you Apple. I will get Gen 6 when it is out next month so my money will come back soon :)

    Never have I ever over the years gotten similar experience anywhere else. Its why its been over 7 years since I made the switch to Apple and never looked back.

    submitted by /u/CarpeDiemYaletown
    [link] [comments]

    I made placiibo, an app that allows you to write amiibo dumps to NFC tags. It has a temporary promotion that’ll unlock all functionality if you leave a tip

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:29 PM PDT

    I spent 9 months making a beautifully simple (and free!) meditation app, vrtumind

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    Link here

    Hey r/Apple! I'm a 20yo self-taught dev and vrtumind is my first app, based in SwiftUI. I do a lot of volunteering in hospice care and hospitals. If you're lucky and haven't found yourself in either setting: they're incredibly stressful. If you work in a hospital, you never have time to decompress. So many of my coworkers simply don't have the time to meditate and calm down between patients, so I built a simple app to help them out.

    What's a "vrtumind"?

    "vrtumind" is a play on words — pronounced "virtue-mind", it means that your mind is a virtue: something you should care for, and never something you should ignore.

    What makes it different than all the other meditation apps?

    vrtumind uses AI to make personalized 1- and 3- minute mediations for busy students & professionals who don't have the time to get into meditation.

    More specifically, the app generates customized guided meditations about what you need in the moment:

    • How much time you have (1- and 3- minute session)
    • What you want to focus on (Stress? Improving relationships? Hangover recovery? You name it, we either have it, or are making it right now!)
    • Your preferred identities (Students, LGBTQ+, and BIPOC - more to come)
    • What's worked best with you in the past

    I don't want to download the app, but I'm pretty stressed right now.

    Here's a little 1-minute meditation for you to de-stress!

    What do you need from me?

    I want to know what else everyone wants me to add! I'm looking for what I can do better to make you come back and use it every day. Here's some planned features in the works:

    • Daily journaling with automatic mood tracking + meditation recommendation
    • Virtual reality environments for relaxation (super excited about this)
    • Full accessibility features for the deaf / HoH
    • Anything else you need that you don't get from another app - just let me know!

    Really excited about getting on the app store and hitting 1,000 downloads after just a week! Wanted to share with everyone here :)

    For more info:

    website & instagram

    submitted by /u/AllaboutPC
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel