• Breaking News

    Friday, July 3, 2020

    macOS What browser do you all use? Thinking of switching from Edge

    macOS What browser do you all use? Thinking of switching from Edge


    What browser do you all use? Thinking of switching from Edge

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 02:30 AM PDT

    I really love using edge as it seems to run pretty nicely on my macbook pro 2019 and just syncs with all my windows and iOS stuff nicely which is important. I was just wondering if there are any better alternatives, my main problem being I have noticed my mac getting so hot just when watching YouTube videos. This doesn't seem right, but maybe that's just what happens on all browsers?

    submitted by /u/sashley520
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Screensaver keeps changing by itself, every time I reboot my MacBook Pro! (From "Drift" it keeps changing to "Message")

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    Notifications from Apple News not coming macOS Catalina

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and since a week or two I have not been receiving my Apple News notifications regularly like I used to. I always have to enable it and disable it in iCloud settings to make it start working again. Has this been happening to anyone else? I am running a 2019 MacBook Pro 13 inch. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/hedwigy
    [link] [comments]

    Finder preview - some audio files work some don't

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 06:06 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Let me clarify the title a little bit, I use an audio interface via thunderbolt (apollo 8), I have a macbook pro 16 running Catalina. Sound works fine (i.e., going via the interface) and I can hear any app's output (safari, spotify, pro tools... pretty much everything). Sometimes I preview audio files via finder because it's quicker and recently it hasn't been working properly. I found a file that worked but many other that don't. With that in mind, I switched the audio back to the macbook pro's speakers and all the files work normally. So I'm trying to solve this mystery as to why only a few audio files would preview in finder and most of them don't when I use the audio interface.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/frenchdoudy
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on updating old MacBook Pro...

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 05:28 AM PDT

    I have a 13 inch non-retina Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM and a 500GB mechanical hard drive. So pretty unimpressive specs, it is currently running 10.12.6 Sierra and after seeing Apple discontinuing it's updates this fall I think the time is right to update to MacOS 10.15 Catalina. Should I?

    submitted by /u/head4shot
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina Typing Glitch Solved

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 06:41 PM PDT

    Ever since I upgraded to Catalina I have been suffering from a horrible typing repeat glitch (would happen when command was pressed down or if typing with a ' in a word like "I'm"). I've seen a similar post mentioning this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dhh1zf/catalina_typing_glitch/

    Just wanted to say that by resetting the PRAM (hitting shift+control+option when shutdown) this glitch finally went away. Hope this helps anyone!

    submitted by /u/jakezillaface
    [link] [comments]

    Call Failed on macOS Catalina

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 05:03 AM PDT

    Hi. I have a problem maintaining a connection during a conversation using facetime on macOS. When I receive a call from an iPhone, after a few / several seconds I receive a message: Call Failed on macOS. The conversation is still ongoing, the computer is still indicated as the audio source, but the caller cannot hear me. That's why I need to quickly change the source on the iPhone back to speakerphone or microphone.

    Is there any option to find out the reason for this behavior? I tested on various devices (macbook pro / hackintosh / imac) and the problem occurs on all devices. I use a FritzBox 4040 router on which I unblocked ports in accordance with the instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202078

    submitted by /u/pzkch
    [link] [comments]

    Incoming iPhone call and no audio when external monitor connected

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    I use "Allow Calls on Other Devices" on my iPhone, and "Calls from iPhone" is enabled on my MBP Catalina. I have my headphones with a microphone (connected via mini-jack), and my DELL U2718Q monitor connected via USBC (closed-clamshell mode).

    Incoming call is displayed as a notification, but when answered, neither me nor the other party can hear each other unless... I change audio source from headphones to something different and back to headphones (via menubar -> speaker).

    It looks to me as if DELL (which appears as Sound Device as well) hijacks Facetime/iPhone calls audio. Even if it's not a default/selected audio in/out device.

    When DELL monitor is disconnected, all is fine. I checked this in both open, and closed-clamshell mode.

    Any ideas, how to tell MacOS to use headphones as a primary audio in/out source for iPhone calls? Or how to disable DELL's audio device permanently?

    submitted by /u/konieczny
    [link] [comments]

    Safari Technology Preview is taxing my system, MacBook Air early 2014

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 04:17 AM PDT

    So out of curiosity I installed Safari Technology Preview for MacOS Catalina, it is wonderful to see the upgraded ad blocking features and customisable home screen.

    However, the MBA is running hot, opening even 4 tabs is taxing the ram in huge. The battery indicator in status bar shows maximum power usage by Safari technology preview and sudden drop in percentages. Also the normal safari browser doesn't hold up with more 8+ tabs open. I don't think it will handle with Big Sur.

    Are this signs that I need to upgrade to a new Mac or not update it to Big Sur?

    It has 4Gb of ram and 128gb ssd. And I think 4th gen i5.

    submitted by /u/rakeshsh
    [link] [comments]

    Mac Mail.app - Rules to Forward Email as Attachment?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Anyone know how to set up the Mac mail.app to forward the mail triggered by rules as an attachment?

    For instance, if subject contains receipt then forward as attachment to quickbooks email address.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/lifeandmylens
    [link] [comments]

    Mac/iOS software protection packages

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:42 PM PDT

    Lately I've been thinking a lot more about getting a software that provides me with a VPN, let's me know about identity theft, stolen password and other important info... Apparently in 2020 anything can happen. I'm overwhelmed by all the options for iOS Apple products.. what do you guys use or recommend?

    submitted by /u/phunkydisco33
    [link] [comments]

    Are packages on homebrew vetted for security?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:05 AM PDT

    1. Can anyone just add a package to homebrew?
    2. What sort of vetting process is in place (if any)? What stops malware getting in?
    3. Are brew taps relatively unsafe?
    submitted by /u/lignumScientiae
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS Big Sur : Safari vs Brave, which is best

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:02 PM PDT

    I'd like to have your opinion on which browser you think is best. I've been using brave as my main browser for almost a year now, everything works great and I basically switched because of the "native" security settings like ad block and trackers blocking. I'm wondering how it compares to the new updated safari, also in terms of performance.

    Btw, I'm a developer and and I'm used to chrome-based tools to inspect and analyze web pages.

    What do you think ?

    submitted by /u/Cyral98
    [link] [comments]

    I've seen a few threads regarding crash on sleep with Catalina, but no solutions. Has anyone had any luck fixing this?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    It's happening to my early 2015 macbook pro w/ retina daily. Never had this issue until Catalina. I'm not using it with an external display, and there are no modifications to the computer. The crash report always indicates medianalysisd.

    submitted by /u/753UDKM
    [link] [comments]

    Having an issue where apps bounce in the dock and not launch fully.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    This is a fresh Catalina install, w/apfs.

    Sometimes apps are triggered to launch, show up in the dock, bounce, but not open (as in the window shows up). While others will open. Failed to launch apps, even if I force quit the app, and try loading it again, no joy.

    Only if I reboot, the apps usually open...

    Even if I've opened it successfully before; after a reboot, it seems like the app may not open again.

    Example apps that this sometimes happens:

    • calculator
    • notes
    • safari
    • reminders
    • sizeup
    • 1password (opened before, but now stuck in the dock bouncing)

    Usually, if I reboot, it solves loading the application, but that's a horrible way to work with the computer.

    I _had_ cleanmymac X installed, but I've uninstalled it... as some suggested that may be a problem.

    TIA

    [SOLUTION]: 2020-07-02 9:34pm eastern. I disconnected an external drive, and all seemed well. Something with that drive was causing the system to hang.

    I did try and launch apps from the command line, but no error messages were occurring. The activity monitor wasn't indicating much either. MDS was at 100%... so it was probably locking up that one external drive...

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/alpha1125
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina 10.15.5 Scroll Lag on Safari 13.1.1 after seconds of inactivity

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    Hi Guys!

    Catalina 10.15.5
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
    2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536 MB

    Experiencing scroll lag on Safari 13.1.1 when I use two fingers up or down after seconds of inactivity. I had noticed the issue while reading on Safari without touching the MBP and then seconds after I intend to scroll up or down, there is an annoying lag for like 4-5 seconds and then it responds abruptly.

    As a "fix" for this annoying lag, I can avoid the issue using three fingers in upward direction (like doing the default MISSION CONTROL gesture but not doing it completely) and then continue with the two fingers up or down to continue reading.

    Is there any fix for this today?

    submitted by /u/garivera
    [link] [comments]

    VNC client working with Big Sur?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 11:24 AM PDT

    Looks like Big Sur borked VNC. When I try to connect to either a Windows or Linux machine, it will connect but it will only display a black screen. Ive tried RealVNC and the built in Mac VNC service, the only one that actually connects is is RealVNC, the built in service fails to connect. Anyone know of any working vnc clients that are compatible with Big Sur for now until RealVNC updates or the next beta fixes it? VNC does work fine from other OSs to this machine so its just the Beta and not a server issue AFAIK.

    submitted by /u/th3suffering
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve just installed an SSD into my iMac, how can I access the files on my old HDD?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    As the title says.

    I made sure that FileVault was disabled before removing the HDD so it wouldn't be encrypted, and I have a USB to SATA cable. When I plug the HDD into the iMac, it is seen but I can't access it like a typical USB storage device, and I have a lot of media on it that I'd like to access (I didn't have anywhere to copy it on to before removing it from the computer).

    Is there a way for me to access it?

    Many thanks in advance for any help :)

    submitted by /u/Ash_MT
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know a way to disable the HUD thing that pops up when a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard is connected/disconnected?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    Hello Mac users. As the title says, does anyone know how to disable the native HUD thing that comes up when a bluetooth keyboard/mouse connects and disconnects? When I move my MacBook away from my workstation to another part of the house, the MacBook seems to try to connect automatically to my peripherals. This causes the HUD graphic top pop up often, sometimes several times a minute: mouse connected, mouse disconnected, mouse connected, etc.

    Is there a way to disable this visual? I don't need to know when the mouse connects or disconnects because I can check that manually by clicking the BT menu bar icon. Thanks for any ideas!

    submitted by /u/bart0
    [link] [comments]

    I’m confused how the Photos app works?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    If you're on iOS or iPad OS when we you download a photo is it automatically added to the Photos App library. On Mac OS you need to manually import them? I'm trying to help an older family member and want to make it so any photos on their Mac places in the pictures album automatically appear within photos. Then they will be able to sort them easily using Photos.

    Am I missing something? How do I make it so photos in the picture folder auto populate the app?

    submitted by /u/poopman5000
    [link] [comments]

    Weirdest bug - Settings resetted

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    This morning I experienced a very strange behavior.

    I was working on my Mac and I had Parallels open with Windows 10.

    Suddenly the screen flashed, then Dropbox and Google Drive asked me to sign-in and told me to go in privacy settings to enable accessibility and all that stuff I only did one time years ago.

    After thinking about what could have happened I'm noticing some icon missing in the desktop of Windows 10. Very weird.

    I try to restart first in Windows 10 and the icons were still missing and my Edge favorites were gone but restoring the system solved everything quickly.

    Now it's time to boot back in macOS and the welcome screen appear asking me to enable Siri, sign-in with my Apple ID, choose the theme etc.

    After that configuration all my files were still okay but every possible setting had been restored, even the wallpaper, safari favorites, everything!

    How is this possible I had it happening at the same time on macOS and Windows? Did you ever experienced something similar?

    submitted by /u/sersoniko
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Catalina (10.15.5) won't play videos

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:48 AM PDT

    Hi all!

    I've encountered a problem: my MacBook Pro (2019) running Catalina 10.15.5 won't play videos in Safari. Youtube, Netflix, and even music videos in the Apple Music app: the video won't run and the screen remains black. I've tried the internet to find a solution for the issue, but every tip did not work so far. I've deleted my Safari cache, reinstalled/updated Flash Player, (re-)enabled Javascript, and even ran a CleanMyMac thingy. Nothing works.

    Does anyone have a solution? I can upload an image, but I don't think its necessary: it's just a black screen and a view of Youtube in Safari(or any other video app). Ironically, Youtube does work when I enable private view in a window.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/melchoriusiii
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur for older macs

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:56 AM PDT

    I'm really excited for the new OS, looks like a new overhaul to what we've been used to the past few years. However, I've noticed it won't be available on my Late 2013 iMac, which sure, is old, but it outperforms let's say a 2013 MacBook Pro or my early 2015 MacBook Air (which are apparently both getting the new OS).

    Additionally via boot camp, it runs windows 10 flawlessly, just as well as my recently built PC (though it does suffer slightly due to a lack of an SSD).

    Is there no chance, for old yet capable machines to get the update?

    Edit: corrected 2012 MacBook Pro to 2013 MacBook Pro

    submitted by /u/ASAPwinstonsmith
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel