• Breaking News

    Monday, July 20, 2020

    macOS Three days later and it's almost finished. Anyone have any explanation as to why this is taking so long? It backs up like normal but since I plugged it in again to have it back up my 2019 16" MBP last Friday, it's been doing this.

    macOS Three days later and it's almost finished. Anyone have any explanation as to why this is taking so long? It backs up like normal but since I plugged it in again to have it back up my 2019 16" MBP last Friday, it's been doing this.


    Three days later and it's almost finished. Anyone have any explanation as to why this is taking so long? It backs up like normal but since I plugged it in again to have it back up my 2019 16" MBP last Friday, it's been doing this.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:02 PM PDT

    I think I might have deleted Spotlight

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:53 PM PDT

    I was looking for a way to remove the spotlight icon on the menu bar without erasing spotlight, I found several options that didn't work because in Catalina it's is hard to disable sip, at the end I encountered a way to disable sip and then entered various commands on the terminal, for my surprise the icon was removed but it seems that also with the spotlight, It doesn't open now, what can I do? I want to avoid reinstalling from macOS recovery

    submitted by /u/RosesYthorns
    [link] [comments]

    Just so you know, every goddamn thing you download from the Internet is logged into sqlite database called "LaunchServices.QuarantineEventsV2" in Preferences by macOS.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 03:51 AM PDT

    Weird design choice if you ask me, I always reply to all so forward and reply has the same icon now...

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 05:28 AM PDT

    Anyone else remember when mac os support was based on hardware as opposed to the year of the mac?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 02:40 PM PDT

    Okay, so I'm writing this now because all of the 2012 and 2013 macs that were better than 2014s were dropped on big sur. Anyone else remember when requirements used to look like this: For example, Here are the requirements for mac os x lion:

    • Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
    • 2GB of memory
    • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
    • 7GB of available space

    Where as now, the compatibility list looks more like this: Heres what it looks like for Big Sur:

    • MacBook: Early 2015 or newer.
    • MacBook Air: Mid 2013 or newer.
    • MacBook Pro: Late 2013 or newer.
    • Mac Mini: Late 2014 or newer.
    • iMac: Mid 2014 or newer.
    • iMac Pro.
    • Mac Pro: Late 2013 or newer.

    Just for reference, here is the compatibility list for Catalina:

    • MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
    • MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
    • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
    • Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
    • iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
    • iMac Pro (2017)
    • Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer)

    To me, this just doesn't make sense. For example, why does the 2014 mac mini get big sur while the 2012 doesn't? I mean I would be happy if they just added the 2012 quad core along side the 2014 and dropped the 2012 dual core, but thats obviously not going to happen.

    What doesn't make sense to me even more was the 2013 imac being dropped. They are almost identical the 2014 yet they were dropped. They both have haswell processors, yet only the 2014 gets the update.

    I would rather apple do mac os requirements by hardware than by model year. I feel the big sur support list was completely arbitrary and theres nothing technical behind why a lot of the 2012 and 2013 models were dropped, just Tim Cook wanting his money. I feel they should say you need these specific macs to run mac os and have a whole list of them. For example, instead of explicitly saying something like only 2014 and newer mac minis are allowed, they would have a list like this.

    Supported Mac Mini Models:

    Mac Mini (Late 2018): All models

    Mac Mini (Late 2014): All models

    Mac Mini (Late 2012): Models with 2.3ghz or 2.6ghz quad core intel core i7 processors

    Now I'm sure someone is going to come on and say while why not the dual core i5 mac mini from 2012 It's just as powerful as the base model 2014 and that is because presumably apple would want those people with dual core 2012s to upgrade, but then let people with quad core 2012s hold on to them because they rival the performance of the base 2018 mac mini, and people with base 2014 mac minis could use them a little longer because they were sold up until 2018. Again, this is just an example of how I would want the support list to look, and of course, that would vary depending on the model of mac we were looking at.

    Anyhow, sorry if this post was really unorganized and repetitive, I just wanted to see if y'all have similar opinions to me, that it shouldn't be by just model year, but maybe even by hardware. Yes, I know that would make the support list more complicated, but hey, I would rather more supported macs and a little bit of a complicated support list than a simple support list and less supported macs.

    submitted by /u/Iwantthegreatest
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know of any good video capture cards that work with MacOS?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:53 PM PDT

    I wanted to use it to be able to use my MacBook as a monitor for my Xbox.

    submitted by /u/TheHyperNovaYT
    [link] [comments]

    How do I actually and properly Reduce the Other Storage on my Mac.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    All the articles I've seen online just say delete old documents or purchase some software. I don't want to buy the software and my documents only take up 1GB on disk. Can anyone give me some actual advice.

    submitted by /u/R3HAT1N0
    [link] [comments]

    Utility to manually select the graphics card?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 11:07 PM PDT

    I had a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with both integrated and discreet graphics cards. There was a utility that would allow me to manually select what graphics card I wanted used at any one time. I now have a 2018 15" MBP with dual graphics cards.

    Is there a utility these days that will allow me to do the same?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/IamJAd
    [link] [comments]

    Malware

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    I'm the 'computer dude' for my family and friends, but mostly on Windows-based machines. I've recently been asked to check a Macbook Air for malware. I installed Avast and it detected nothing, but they're still worried - I think some of their applications were pirated.

    Should I be reassuring, or send them to a Mac professional?

    submitted by /u/Chasuk
    [link] [comments]

    Mojave: Cursor disappearing after updating recently

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    I updated my MacBook Pro today (macOS Mojave 10.14.6) and the cursor keeps disappearing. Switching between full-screen apps makes it disappear. Moving the cursor around won't make it appear. Shaking the cursor to make it large doesn't make it appear. Is anyone else having this annoying issue? Does anyone know if there's a fix?

    submitted by /u/Prasanna22
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina 10.15.5 Scroll Lag on Safari 13.1.1 after seconds of inactivity

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    Hi Guys!

    Catalina 10.15.5
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
    2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536 MB

    Experiencing scroll lag on Safari 13.1.1 when I use two fingers up or down after seconds of inactivity. I had noticed the issue while reading on Safari without touching the MBP and then seconds after I intend to scroll up or down, there is an annoying lag for like 4-5 seconds and then it responds abruptly.

    As a "fix" for this annoying lag, I can avoid the issue using three fingers in upward direction (like doing the default MISSION CONTROL gesture but not doing it completely) and then continue with the two fingers up or down to continue reading.

    Is there any fix for this?

    submitted by /u/garivera
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, I have been having this weird issue lately where Youtube videos don't play in Safari most of the times, and when that happens, Youtube stops working in Safari Technology Preview as well but however it works fine on Chrome. I'm on macOS 10.15.6 and tried clearing cache, cookies and website data.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:28 AM PDT

    Any solutions for a missing operating system for MacBook 2010-Mid?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:28 AM PDT

    Advice: iOS-alternative to macOS’s Franz application

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    Franz is an all-in-one communications platform for macOS and it does exactly what I am looking for, but unfortunately they do not have an iOS version.

    Does anyone know of an equivalent or something close? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Cabana0309
    [link] [comments]

    Learning more about Mac OS under the hood

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm looking for resources, paths, anything really, that will help me learn and understand all the goings on with MacOS under the hood. I'm currently a web dev with some programming skills looking to break into application development for Mac OS. I know a small handful of things but I'm really just looking for any deep technical resources I can use to begin to fill in the huge knowledge gaps I'm facing, and learn things like what is being store where, what are all these files in the system folder actually for, etc. Thanks very much for you help!

    submitted by /u/_devilduck
    [link] [comments]

    I can't change my desktop background. The only way I can change it is by selecting a picture and setting that as the desktop background, but it changes at sundown and sun up. Whats going on? 10.15.6

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    If I delete music from my itunes then sync my phone to it will the music be deleted from my phone?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    So, I have about 50GB of music that I manually downloaded to my laptop and then to my IPhone. I have the music on my phone but what to free the 50gbs from my laptop, will the music be delete from my phone when I connected back to Itunes if I delete it off my iTunes library on my laptop? I know itunes is weird with syncing and music.

    Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/throwninawayyyy
    [link] [comments]

    Possibly (by which I mean probably) dumb question: what is the star icon in the Touch Bar when I'm using Safari? Picture in description.

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:24 AM PDT

    Possibly (by which I mean probably) dumb question: what is the star icon in the Touch Bar when I'm using Safari? Picture in description.

    If you look at the middle-right, you see the highlighted star icon. What is that supposed to signify?

    I have tried googling it, but I can't seem to find anything (of course, I could just be crap at using search engines).

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    EDIT: Yes, that is a tiny Ruth Bader Ginsburg, for anyone who's wondering.

    submitted by /u/GibbNotGibbs
    [link] [comments]

    what should I upgrade my 2014 Macbook Air's OS to?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 12:54 PM PDT

    I have just inherited a 2014 Macbook Air that is currently using 10.9 OS X Mavericks. Should I update it to a better OS or leave it? I like the aesthetic that I have seen with newer operating systems but I am new to mac and am not sure what would be best. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/itsdeepdish
    [link] [comments]

    Change sound output

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:40 AM PDT

    I frequently have a situation where I'm listening to music through my headphone amp and get pulled away. My wife will get on the Mac under her profile and cannot change the sound output to the internal speakers unless she logs into my profile first to change it, and then logs back into hers. This is really annoying. Is there a way to set things up so she can make the changes in her own profile?

    submitted by /u/Gym-Kirk
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro won't turn on after crashing. Any advice?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    So my Mac turned off unexpectedly, but rebooted fine. I restored all my pages and got back to work. A few seconds later, the beachball replaces my cursor and the screen goes black. I've tried restarting it & charging it, but neither of those have worked (unless I'm doing it wrong). Any help would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/GarfieldLasaga1
    [link] [comments]

    Updating passwords

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 02:35 PM PDT

    I like to change passwords frequently but sometimes the prompt to "update on keychain" doesn't drop down so the new password isn't updated. Is there somewhere I can click to make sure the keychain is also updated? Thank you

    submitted by /u/searick1
    [link] [comments]

    Workspace management app with windows arrangement?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    Can anyone recommend a workspace management app with windows arrangement? I have been using workspace for workspace management but I have to rearrange the apps manually every time I open a workspace. Thanks!

    P.S. I have been using Divvy for splitting windows so possibly a script for workspace might work as well though I haven't tried. A unified solution would be great!

    submitted by /u/cccfran
    [link] [comments]

    macOS 10.14+: Can storage devices be added to a JBOD RAID array or APFS container after initial creation for additive increase?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    After seeing this interesting video with 2500 MB/s write and 2800 MB/s read on a Mac Pro 2010 and noting this previous post about the 4x (quad) NVMe card for the Mac Pro 2010, I'm interested in increasing my 2010 Mac Pros' storage speed past traditional SATA SSD devices.

    I'd like to get one of the quad NVMe cards, but I wanted to understand: Can I expand storage as I go? For example, if I start off with 2 NVMe 2 TB cards and then want to add a 3rd and 4th in some months, can I use JBOD + APFS or APFS container growth to handle this?

    submitted by /u/ylluminate
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel