• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 21, 2020

    macOS TIL if you hold the Option key and double click a corner of a window, you will maximize it to the dimension of the screen without entering full screen mode.

    macOS TIL if you hold the Option key and double click a corner of a window, you will maximize it to the dimension of the screen without entering full screen mode.


    TIL if you hold the Option key and double click a corner of a window, you will maximize it to the dimension of the screen without entering full screen mode.

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    Usually when I want a larger view of a window, I enter full screen mode, but it's useful to know that there is a quick way of enlarging windows (kinda) like Windows does it in a quick way, without dragging the four corners all the way.

    submitted by /u/MarcoM42
    [link] [comments]

    Ignore options for app store updates?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Really a minor thing, but is there a way to set ignore reminders for certain apps in the App Store? In my case I've had a GarageBand update "waiting" for a while and I have no plans on ever updating it–I never use it and for me it's just a space hog on my 128GB MBA. I still get reminders to update GarageBand (it's been the only one in my App Store list for a while now); can I at least turn off App Store update reminders, if not for specific ones within it?

    submitted by /u/slippin_park
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina OS 15.5 dropping WiFi constantly

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 09:28 PM PDT

    I just bought a new MacBook Pro 13' (2020) and can't get any work done because the WiFi constantly drops and reconnects, leading to extreme video game lag and browser lag

    does anyone have a fix that doesn't involve having to downgrade to Mojave (since this is a new laptop and I don't have a backup for mojave)

    I have already done the following troubleshooting steps -

    Changed Network location

    Deleted the other WiFi connections around me

    Reset PRAM/NVRAM

    Safe mode boot

    Renewed DHCP lease

    submitted by /u/Obtusely
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS vs Windows 10 vs Linux ( A regular users experience )

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 02:32 PM PDT

    For the last year I had tried my hardest to really make linux work as my daily driver. While I love linux, unless you pick your hardware carefully you will have issues. That was the case for my gaming laptop which is an Asus ROG amd/nvidia hybrid. It took a shit ton of work to get it going and wasn't fully usable until 3 months after I purchased it. I went through all the work to game on it and work arounds for this or that. While it was fun and I learned a ton about linux and how computers work in general. I just don't feel that it is a daily driver system. I know many users use it as a daily and have no issues, I could never achieve that level with my hardware. I am sure if I go back in about a year my pc will probably work out of the box. I do miss the aspect of really making the system your own and configuring it. Honestly the design aesthetic of MacOS is nice and flows well across the operating system.

    At the beginning of the year I purchased a surface pro 7 for work. I figured Microsoft hardware would run Microsoft software better. As time went on I notice a few little glaring issues that started to compound and really bug me. Waking up from sleep/hibernate was a 70/30 success. 70% of the time it would wake up to a white windows log flashing from the bottom to the middle of screen over and over and over. I would have to for shutdown by holding the power to get it to actually turn on. The usage of the office 365 apps always felt less that ideal. Spreadsheets would lag when the scrolled, if I scrolled to fast the cells wouldn't load right away. Switching between open programs didn't fell that smooth. Then the last straw was the fact that Microsoft puts out these wildly buggy updates and then restricts if you can download them based on bugs. I went out purchased a flagship Microsoft device and upgraded to windows 10 pro and at last check I still can get the latest update. How a software company fails to make sure that their own devices are going to be bug free on update launches is wild in my opinion. The one thing I will say I enjoyed about the surface pro 7 was the edge browser. I went out of my way to download the updated past what comes with windows 10( I know they are changing the with an update soon). It honestly works very well and is probably my favorite browser that I have used.

    Just last weekend on sale I picked up the 2020 MacBook Air for 100 off, to see if I could use it to replace the now frustrating surface pro 7. I opted for the i5,8gb,512 version. I don't do anything ram hungry and after researching the ram that is in this is the fastest you get in a laptop currently(if that is not correct please let me know). This thing is night and day compared to my surface pro 7. All of the office programs run smoother on this when compared to my surface. That was the one thing that would make me return this device. I am really impressed by this little laptop. So far it just works and I have had no issues what so ever. I can run GarageBand with multiple tracks and a midi keyboard plugged in and recording. I can have every office app open along with a browser and not a bit lag. I am familiar with MacOS with my 2014 MacMini, so I know what to expect. 6 year old hardware with an updated hdd to a ssd. It still shows it age when running the latest version of MacOS. It's not unusable just slower than what I am use to.

    I know that there are update issues with MacOS, no software maker will ever have a bug free launch. The over all experience of using MacOS on new hardware is really nice and everything just works so well. It interesting because the surface pro 7 has almost identical hardware to the MacBook Air. It just goes to show how polished of an operating system MacOS really is at the end of the day. When you have 2 machines that are on par hardware wise. It comes down to how well the software runs, windows 10 honestly has nothing on MacOS in terms of running smoothly. I found that MacOS/garageband is literally plug and play when it comes to using an MIDI keyboard or plugging in a guitar. Windows sort of has this ability but it will cost you money to find a program that does what GarageBand does. Forget about plug and play recording using linux. I gave up after I starting reading about multiple programs need just to use an midi keyboard.

    I do like how well it works with other apple products, I do have an iPhone and an Apple Watch, but that is only because it makes my work life easier. Especially when it comes to accountability and having iMessage and delivery receipts makes it hard to say I didn't let you know. The hand off is done really well between the devices. Windows is honestly getting close with Android, but its not the the level of what apple is. I mention previously about edge being my favorite browser, but I have decided to really use safari. Mainly because that is the only mobile browser I use. I don't really care for the other mobile browsers honestly, safari just gives me a better experience on my phone. I figured I would go all in with safari on the new air.

    I am also excited about the prospects of Apple Arcade. I had it on my iPhone when it came out initially, but I am not a fan of mobile games. I didn't realize that you could actually play all of those games across all the devices. I may sign back up because there were a few games that I was really interested in playing.

    In my experience with these 3 desktop operating systems, I would rank MacOS first, Linux second, and Windows 10 3rd. While I had issues configuring linux, at the end of the day there wasn't a single thing I could do on windows that I couldn't do there. All the computer games I do own all worked just as good on linux when compared to windows. For me it just came down to hardware compatibility and getting tired of fixing small things here and there. I will happily pay the apple tax to get a far better user experience. I don't think anyone else really nails that as well as apple does.

    submitted by /u/swagglepuf
    [link] [comments]

    Weird cursor jumps in Safari

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 12:48 AM PDT

    Dock appears on bottom screen with dual monitor

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    hello everyone, im a new mac user coming from windows because i had some bad experiences recently and decided to switch over. I'm a digital artist and i use a graphic display to do my work. My setup is my primary monitor that i use normally is on the top in arrangements and my graphic display is on the bottom where i use it. The problem is, i want the entire bottom screen to be only for drawing without the dock taking space from it, and i want the dock to stay in the top display always, for some reason my dock just won't move from my bottom screen and it's driving me insane, it's almost as if mac sees them as 1 elongated screen. i really hope someone can help me with this because i made the switch to run away from the bus that happens on windows i dont want to see more bs on mac. thanks i advance :(

    submitted by /u/NunuImak
    [link] [comments]

    When a CA's root certificate expires is it upto the browser(firefox , ect) to renew these certificates?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 12:10 AM PDT

    When a CA's root certificate expires is it up to the browser(firefox , ect) to renew these certificates or is the system (computers system ) referring to MacOS?

    Do some people experience this using older OS versions some certificates expire but do you have to update to the next OS to get updated certificates?

    How do you go around this if you cant upgrade to the next OS? but need the new certificates for authenticity?

    Referring to Root certificates such as the May 30 expired but Apple doesnt tell us?

    submitted by /u/annoym120
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you keep the Dock?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Do you have it on the bottom? Left? Right? Do you hide it?

    Merely curious.

    I keep the Dock on my Macs on the bottom, always visible when it can be - unlike my settings for other operating systems.

    submitted by /u/eatingthesandhere91
    [link] [comments]

    Keep MacBook Plugged In??

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    With the new Catalina update, my MacBook starts going down in battery after awhile from 100% even while plugged in. When I use it, I have it plugged in and when I don't use it, it's unplugged. When it starts lowering it still says fully charged. Should I unplug it and let it drop more as I use it or just keep it plugged in? Thanks for any input.

    submitted by /u/joshuamathews
    [link] [comments]

    Mojave OS Recovery menu: Reinstall OS only offers Catalina

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    How do I set it so that I can reinstall a clean copy of Mojave, not Catalina from recovery menu? My current OS is Mojave, so I am confused as to why it will only let me reinstall Catalina.

    When I tried this before, it reinstalled Mojave, even after Catalina was released.

    submitted by /u/jxdewey
    [link] [comments]

    Nightmare Video Export Times (MBP 2017 no touchbar)

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    I have been using After Effects 2020 to work on some video projects for a friend. The assembly process in after effects doesn't take that long, but exporting it is a nightmare. A 35+ minute video, with the most graphics being an equalizer, took 2+ hours to export into an .mp4 format using media encoder at a medium source match bitrate.

    I'm a total novice with this stuff, having some experience in Adobe but still figuring out the exporting process. Any advice/knowledge is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/aquaroxas
    [link] [comments]

    Sometimes icons from some apps doesn't really fit well with Macs design language.

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 03:52 AM PDT

    Sometimes icons from some apps doesn't really fit well with Macs design language.

    I noticed Amazon Music app was looking really off in the dock. So i made a new icon for it, inspired by Mac apps. Using Photoshop and Gimp. I believe it looks way better now. There are so many apps with awful icons, developers should really try to match the aesthetics of respective platforms.

    New icon created by me.

    Heres how it looks in Dock

    Original Icon

    submitted by /u/oyeshahbaaz
    [link] [comments]

    Any Cisco VPN clients that AREN'T Cisco Anyconnect?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 03:18 PM PDT

    I'm using a Cisco Anyconnect VPN (or whatever you call it) and it absolutely pisses me off. The main reason is that there's no way to save your password so you need to type in your password every single time you disconnect, which is unfortunately quite often for me. I don't want to use its command line version.

    Is there a sane client which will allow me to connect to a Cisco VPN, which is NOT the Cisco Anyconnect app? There's Shimo which has a free trial that works perfectly (you can connect to the VPN just by clicking the menu bar icon) but it costs $60 which is way, way too much for me.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/TestFlightBeta
    [link] [comments]

    aptX disappeared again in Catalina 10.15.5?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    Trying to understand if my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones are still connecting with aptX or not, having passed to a new 2019 MPB 16...

    but I cannot find anymore any system menu to verify this... Any aptX or AAC setting seems to have disappeared... I remember in the past (2019) to have been able to verify this.

    Any idea?

    submitted by /u/jlm70
    [link] [comments]

    Any list of macOS Catalyst apps?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    I've been excited when Apple announced the Catalyst cause developers may be able to port iPad apps into macOS. It will definitely give life to macOS appstore. However I still can't see significant number of iPad apps ported to macOS. Is there a list of apps that is already ported to macOS?

    Another one, is there something holding devs back to port their apps?

    submitted by /u/eriezelagera
    [link] [comments]

    Mojave running hotter than Catalina?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 06:05 PM PDT

    Hi, "I downgraded" my mid 2012 12" Non-Retina MacBook Pro from Catalina to Mojave and I'm getting much much worse temperatures in general. I replaced the thermal paste about 3 weeks ago and on Catalina, temps were great. I was idling around 42c, and web browsing brought me up to 50c, rarely past that. Now on Mojave I'm lucky to get under 60c, and opening apps forces it up to 70c.

    Maybe it's because this is a fresh install so it's still indexing or something? I had Macs Fan Controls on Catalina, and I do on Mojave with the exact same configuration. I installed it a few hours ago.

    submitted by /u/RaiderFlyNO
    [link] [comments]

    Time Machine not allowing me to choose earlier dates

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    I recently wiped my HD and upgrades from Mojave to Catalina (after all of the horror stories, it seems to be work smoothly so far), and want to restore my wife's account from Time Machine.

    When I enter Time Machine, after a few seconds it will show the earlier backed up dates on the right side of the screen, but I can't scroll back through them to find and restore files.

    Granted, I'm using a different/new account than the one that Time Machine backed up from, but that shouldn't affect my ability to search through its archives, should it?

    submitted by /u/das_goose
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Browsers Catalina 10.15.5 (Mac Air 2015)

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Ok so I'm on a beta of Catalina, Google Chrome is my default browser but it just stopped working. I would type items in the search bar, and they'd just sit there and it says they're loading. If I restart my Mac and launch chrome it loads 1 or 2 pages and then gets stuck

    I then try to quit chrome and relaunch, it gets stuck in application not responding and I can't quit it even if I try using Cmd+Opt+Esc.

    Then I tried to see if safari works. It does....for a while and then does the same exact thing everything else works fine on my Mac and it's really frustrating. Any help?

    I've tried removing the app through terminal, reinstalling it, everything and nothing works.... please, help.

    EDIT: Safari is stuck in the 'application not responding state' and i, being the dumbass I am, removed chrome with

    sudo rm -rf /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app

    Before realising I couldn't reinstall it as I didn't even have safari

    I NEED HELP

    submitted by /u/warhognathan
    [link] [comments]

    Safari & Reddit Scrolling

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 06:25 AM PDT

    Safari & Reddit Scrolling

    A quick reddit search reveals several threads on this topic, but what the heck, here goes another..

    Have been using reddit for several years mostly on MacBooks and mostly with safari and continuous scrolling starts to stutter big time!

    I realise that that its a complicated task for the browser to manage all of the content being chucked at it as you scroll for several minutes, but it starts to spoil the experience somewhat!

    Anyone got any workarounds / tips to improve the stuttering within safari on long reddit scrolling sessions?

    Was considering using the developer agent string option to try various different user agents, but wanted to ask the community on their experiences of improving the stuttering

    https://preview.redd.it/q0yibldqf2651.png?width=1536&format=png&auto=webp&s=bb4d4f28b07c4f8422f1b7eba627f7f730913092

    submitted by /u/coffeesurfers
    [link] [comments]

    Update to 10.15.5 Not Working

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    Any idea why my 2018 Mac Mini won't install the 10.15.5 update? I click "Update Now", it tells me I need to restart, the update-in-progress screen comes on for maybe a half second, then the Mac restarts as normal.

    At first I thought it just installed incredibly fast, but after I double checked About This Mac, it's still 10.15.4

    submitted by /u/timmmc
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any adjustable settings or applications I can use to reduce my mouse lag on my shitty external monitor?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 12:28 PM PDT

    I have a shitty old flat screen as my external monitor for my MBP. There unfortunately is a bit of lag with my mouse movements. Is there any solution that could fix this?

    submitted by /u/Nickcrizzle
    [link] [comments]

    What does "Optimize video streaming while on battery power"?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 04:03 AM PDT

    What does "Optimize video streaming while on battery power"?

    I'm on macOS 10.15.6 Beta and I've just found checkbox "Optimize video streaming while on battery power". It's not mentioned in the user guide and I can't find anything related in Google.

    Any idea what this checkbox does under the hood?

    https://preview.redd.it/3ammfx5lq1651.png?width=1336&format=png&auto=webp&s=e4c873ce61889e44b707488fe92fc1ad07a48d85

    submitted by /u/koynoy
    [link] [comments]

    Save temporary QuickTime files somewhere else

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    I am running Mojave 10.14.6. I need to screen record something that is about 3 hours long and I only have 8gb left on my hard drive so it'll only screen record like half an hour's worth of it before stopping. I need to know either how I can change where QuickTime stores it's temp files so it can be on my external, or maybe a good alternative to QuickTime where it's temporary files can be saved on my external daily?

    submitted by /u/e1ectricthunder
    [link] [comments]

    Hi. I need a macOS VPN service that is free (not a trial) and does not limit internet speed. Location selection.. etc. don’t matter a lot to me. Can you recommend one?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 02:40 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel