• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 9, 2019

    iPad Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 10/09

    iPad Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 10/09


    Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 10/09

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 09:37 AM PDT

    Welcome to r/iPad' Discussion and Tech-Support Thread!

    Discuss here anything that's iPad related. You can suggest or ask about iPad apps, accessories, post about your iPad art, tips & tricks etc.

    Get help regarding any issues you might be having with your iPad, with your applications, your accessories, physical and software problems, etc. Fellow redditors and members of the mod team will do their best to assit you.

    You may want to consider looking for similar questions to the one you're about to ask, in previous D&TS threads listed below, or with the search bar, as chances are someone was in the same situation as you before.


    Later on, please consider giving back by answering other people's questions when you can!

    Click here to see past D&TS threads.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Weekly 'What should I buy?' Thread - 10/09

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 09:37 AM PDT

    Welcome to r/iPad's 'What Should I Buy?' Thread!


    Are you wondering which iPad is best for you? Are you hesitating between the 12.9" versus the 11"? Which keyboard should you get or what is the best screen protector out there? This is the place to ask. Fellow redditors and members of the mod team will do their best to assist you.

    You may want to consider looking for similar questions to the one you're about to ask, in previous WSIB threads listed below, or with the search bar, as chances are someone was in the same situation as you before.


    Later on, please consider giving back by answering other people's questions when you can!

    Click here to see past WSIB threads.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Check this out, leaked images of the iPad Pro MAX

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 10:05 AM PDT

    I’d like to ask why Slide Over isn’t available when you’re at the Home screen?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 11:17 PM PDT

    Sidecar not connecting

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 10:57 AM PDT

    During the beta I was getting a "Unable to Connect: The device timed out" error whenever I tried to use sidecar. I assumed it was a bug in the beta that would be fixed in the full release, but even after updating everything I am still getting the error.

    I logged in/out of iCloud and restarted both my laptop and iPad. Now I am getting a different error "Unable to Connect: A miscellaneous error occurred (-402)."

    Looks like other people have had both of these issues online but none of the fixes I have found seem to be working.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/KoncealedProdigy
    [link] [comments]

    My Thoughts On The iPad As A Laptop Replacement (Two Weeks Experiment)

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    I've never thought the iPad can replace a laptop.

    I also thought the Apple commercial on the topic is stupid.

    Yet, two years after buying an iPad Air and a few accessories (plus a few apps), I'm a believer.

    For the last two weeks, I've hardly opened my laptop. Sure, there are some things that annoy me... as the lack of a real file system or how hard it is to download files, sometimes, but it works.

    Now many people would say "but an iPad can't run a VM" and "an iPad can't run Maya or Autocad". This is true. But from what I can see, an iPad can do all the things I need it to do... and none of those that my laptop can but I never use. I don't even transfer files from an external hard-drive. I have a 2 TB one sitting on my desk and I haven't used it for months.

    And this surprised me... because at first I took the iPad with me in my messenger bag as that was the only thing that would fit. And at first I wasn't very excited about working on it. But I am getting things done... my workflow is just fine... I am benefiting from the long battery life and LTE... and after buying a few apps (Ulysses, Notability, Cardflow+), I am actually kicking ass with it.

    And the most important thing, it is light. Like really light. I walk more. I spend more time outside. I even spend less time in Uber because of it. So can the iPad be the future of computing?

    I think so. It will never serve the specific needs of advanced users but it will serve the needs of 99% of everyone else. Now of course, you need a keyboard... and preferably a pen (and these two had cost another $250), but it works. I find myself pulling it from the messenger bag, setting a timer for one hour and getting work done.

    And in the rare moments when I run out of battery (which is technically never), I can use a small power bank.

    Now... I still need my MacBook. - Calibre won't run on the iPad. - Torrenting not even so. - Google Drive is so buggy when it comes to downloading stuff. - I move files through iTunes. - For any intensive SaaS, I prefer to use a desktop level browser and a touchpad.

    But for everything else... this works.

    I can't actually believe it. A smaller, less powerful device, with no touch-pad actually makes me more productive because it is not cumbersome and because of the apps.

    Well done Apple. Well done.

    submitted by /u/RazvanClaudiu
    [link] [comments]

    Sidecar only connects once until I restart.

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    Title sums it up. It works the first connect but after that it's just a blank black screen on my iPad until I restart my computer. Anyone else?

    2017 MBP 15" and a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9. Both on the latest OS releases. Driving me nuts.

    submitted by /u/Mike
    [link] [comments]

    Strange iPad OS bug - keyboard not displaying

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 04:50 AM PDT

    Has anyone else had points where occasionally the keyboard won't appear using iPad os? As in, I'll click on a text field, it'll go to enter into it since the option to paste appears etc. but the keyboard doesn't appear at the bottom of the screen? Right now my only workaround is to restart the iPad, which wouldn't be too bad if it didn't happen multiple times a day.

    iPad 6th gen for reference.

    submitted by /u/MushMutt
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro 12.9 + Mac Mini or 2015 Macbook Pro or 2019 Macbook Air or VM on an i9 PC & Storage Solutions - help me decide

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 12:14 PM PDT

    I currently own a 9.7 in iPad Pro (the old body style). Since iPadOS, I have been able to use it exclusively for editing video in Lumafusion, managing FB & Google Ad Campaigns, working within Google Drive and editing landing pages via ClickFunnels with little to no issues. The added mouse and keyboard support has made this nice.

    With that said, I'm looking for more screen real estate and faster data transfer speeds (via usb c) which is why I want to upgrade to the 12.9in.

    I am having trouble deciding what computing device to go with though.

    I currently own an Xbox One X, PS4, Nintendo Switch and Oculus Quest, so I have my gaming needs covered.

    I have an i9 Windows Machine with an RTX 2080, which was initially purchased for gaming and video editing; however, all the games I would want to play are on my consoles. I have also found working in Lumafusion on the iPad is way faster than premier pro, and I can do it mobile and utilize airdrop and iCloud when shooting video on my phone. Uploading video content from my DJI Osmo Pocket and Mavic Pro is also easy on the go with the iPad. I've tried running a VM of MacOS Catalina on the PC; however, airdrop does not work and generally my Macbook performs better than a VM running on my PC.

    With that said, there are times that I need to upload larger quantities of video content and it is more practical to store them on an external device, or upload them via a computer to Google Drive, rather than directly to the iPad. I've found that doing this on a mac is a piece of cake when you can use air drop; however, on a pc it is quite a pain. I also have some kind of issue with my iPad where it says I do not have enough storage; although, 130GB is free, so that also makes it necessary to upload files via a computer.

    I also need something to run a Plex server (for now) as I have a lot of video content that I like to be able to play back via the apple tv. I have all the same files in my google drive; however, there is not an app I have found that will allow me to open folders and view the videos as easily as Plex, when they are stored in google drive.

    I also own a Macbook Pro 2015 Mid i7 16gb ram and 1TB SSD and find I use it more than the PC and have it connected to a monitor as a desktop.

    I have a work computer that is a PC that hardly gets used also a nice 2019 i7 system with ssd and maxed ram.

    With that said, I'm considering selling the Macbook, the work computer and PC and getting an iPad Pro 12.9 256GB and External SSD and a Mac Mini (upgrading the ram myself and adding an eGPU later if needed). Is this a sound plan or is there any reason I ought to go with a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro instead, or keep what I have?

    Also, I am currently using an external hard drive + Backblaze for file storage. I am considering either a NAS or multi-bay thunderbolt 3 external enclosure to setup a RAID array for further protection against data loss. With that said, I'm leaning towards an enclosure so I can keep my regular Backblaze subscription and not have to pay extra for B2.

    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/CRYHODL
    [link] [comments]

    Despite having DND enabled on my iPad, I still get notification pop ups. How do I keep this from happening?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    As a student who uses their iPad daily, I need DND to help keep me focused. But it is still showing me the notification I would otherwise be silently receiving. What can I do to change that?

    submitted by /u/Mjsciarabba
    [link] [comments]

    Any deals in the UK for the new ipad (2019 7th Gen 10.2in Wi-Fi 32GB) please?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 02:22 PM PDT

    Hey

    I'm looking at buying the new ipad in the UK and so far the most appetising deal looks like amazon at £344 as its £5 cheaper than anywhere else

    Is there any other deals you can recommend that are either cheaper or come with a free case etc please?

    Thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/used_bathwater
    [link] [comments]

    iPadOS and Catalina make for an awesome workspace!

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:45 PM PDT

    Has anyone had this issue? Hard time awaking the Pad only when battery is close to or at 100%. Only way to turn on is to flip the right side of magnetic part of the case open/close several times till it awakes.

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    Apple now selling Microsoft Xbox One controller to boost Arcade service in iOS 13

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    I have a question for the people with Apple smart battery case. What do you use to protect the back of your iPad if any?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 01:49 PM PDT

    When I unlock my iPad in Landscape mode in iOS 13, the screen springs to portrait mode and I need to stand it up and then put it back on its side. Is anyone else experiencing this?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 01:48 PM PDT

    This is new to my iPad since I got iPadOS 13.1. Don't want to report the bug until I can confirm others are seeing this.

    submitted by /u/plazman30
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Pencil Battery Problem

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    Hello guys. I had just bought Apple Pencil 1 and I have a question. My pencil can charge very fast approximately 10 - 15 minutes for 100% charge level but when I use Apple Pencil its charge level is decreasing very fast. For example, when charge level was 100% I just wrote a short sentence and charge level dropped 96%. Is it normal or should I send it to service?

    submitted by /u/Shephardojack
    [link] [comments]

    Just found out Google Fi let’s you use your cell phone plan data on your cellular/LTE iPad for NO additional charge. Do any other carriers do this?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 01:25 PM PDT

    So yeah, mostly just the title. I currently have Cricket with my iPhone. When looking to see if I could pay a bit more with my plan to use it with my iPad (you can't, not officially at least), I came across this about Google Fi. I'm not super keen on using Google Fi though (although this is such a huge perk I might switch anyway) so I'm curious if any other cellular provides have a similar deal.

    submitted by /u/Mr_Holmes
    [link] [comments]

    Annoying iPadOS change to Safari

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    iPadOS added a step to closing multiple tabs at once:

    Before the update: tap and hold the squares icon in the top right corner then tap "Close all X tabs". Done

    Now: tap and hold the squares icon in the top right corner then tap "Close all X tabs". And now you get the annoying "are you sure.." question that you have to tap through. Yes, I'm sure. I already took 2 affirmative steps toward closing all the tabs. Why do I need to do a 3rd?

    It's seems like it is a carry over from the desktop Safari where one stray click on the red 'X' might close all of your tabs inadvertently. You can't make that mistake on the iPad.

    Apple apparently forgot the adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

    submitted by /u/Account_3_0
    [link] [comments]

    Best inexpensive Bluetooth mouse for 2017 10.5 iPad Pro?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 12:07 PM PDT

    I'm having trouble figuring out which Bluetooth mice are compatible, and which of those is a good deal. Preferably under $30, but I can be flexible if that's a ridiculous budget. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/besuretodrinkyour
    [link] [comments]

    What does the iPad Pro do that my 2019 iPad Air can't?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 12:01 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I upgraded to an iPad Air with cellular earlier this year, as I needed connection on the go for work. I've been to the Apple Store plenty since and absolutely love the look/speed/screen(!!!)/power of the iPad Pro and have been eyeing it ever since. I've got an iPhone 11 Pro and MacBook Pro as my daily drivers, leaving my iPad Air mainly for content consumption at the end of the work day. I think I'd use the Pro more as a substitute for my Mac, but is it worth dropping $650 plus the keyboard case? I don't think it can substitute for everything I normally do on my Mac, but I'd like to be able to travel without the Mac and just the iPad most times.

    I want to do it, but need some actual input/opinion before I drop that amount of money on something that hasn't been essential to my daily life... yet.

    Thank you in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/any_bull213
    [link] [comments]

    Remote View from Windows

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 08:07 AM PDT

    I'm trying to find an app/service that would let me use my windows desktop from my iPad wirelessly. My goal is to use apps like Blender and Minecraft from my iPad. I've seen Duet, but there seems to mixed reviews, and a bunch of other apps that exist, but I don't know about.

    I hope you guys can help me. :)

    submitted by /u/ApollosHammer
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone find a way to open image in new tab?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    I am trying to search for images through google and would like to be able to get to the images I find on google directly. On my desktop, I can open an image in a new tab and bypass the website, but I haven't Been able to find a way to do this on the ipad. Does anyone have an alternate browser or trick to going directly to an image URL?

    submitted by /u/0Aicher
    [link] [comments]

    Waiting for the Professor to arrive...

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    Pre-iPadOS iMovie version?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 06:12 AM PDT

    Trying to show mum video editing on her old iPad Air and seems like she had deleted iMovie at some point. The current App Store's iMovie is only available for iOS 13.

    Since the original iPad Air isn't eligible for the the new iPadOS, is there a pre-iOS 13 / pre-iPadOS version of iMovie available somewhere?

    submitted by /u/sweetpineapple
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel