• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 6, 2019

    macOS It was around 2 years ago I decided to build the best desktop experience for Reddit. Even though it started as a native, macOS Reddit app, it turned into an online community browser with support for YouTube, Hacker News, Indie Hackers and more.

    macOS It was around 2 years ago I decided to build the best desktop experience for Reddit. Even though it started as a native, macOS Reddit app, it turned into an online community browser with support for YouTube, Hacker News, Indie Hackers and more.


    It was around 2 years ago I decided to build the best desktop experience for Reddit. Even though it started as a native, macOS Reddit app, it turned into an online community browser with support for YouTube, Hacker News, Indie Hackers and more.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 12:11 PM PDT

    TLDR at the end ;)

    Hey all,

    First of all, I wanted to thank you mods for allowing me to make this post. I love Reddit and even though I don't post much, I spend most of my day on here. Most people check Reddit on their phones. Reddit has a great mobile app and there are lots of alternatives, but I'm a software developer and I spend all my time on my computer.

    It was about 2 years ago (around the time Reddit introduced their new website). I was getting really frustrated with the new site and decided to build the best desktop experience for Reddit. Since I use a Mac, I wanted to start out with a native macOS app. I wanted to build something that works fast, feels smooth & modern.

    I had to build something that feels like Apple themselves took the time to build a Reddit client for macOS.

    As I was working on it, I realized most online communities are the same. There are channels, posts, comments, likes/votes etc. So I thought why not build an open source plugin architecture which allows other developers to build plugins to bring their favorite communities into the app. So far, I already built plugins for YouTube, Hacker News and Indie Hackers in addition to Reddit. I plan on open sourcing all plugins after I polish a few things on my end ;-)

    Fast forward to today, the app is almost done and I am now looking for early adopters. It's hard to believe it ended up being almost 2 years project but looking back, it was well worth it!

    I'm calling the app Yack! and you can check out the screenshots here:

    https://imgur.com/a/iDV2qIU

    Please comment here and let me know your OS version and if you're interested in beta testing my app.

    TLDR:

    I have been working on a native macOS Reddit app for the past 2 years and it's finally Here's a link to screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/iDV2qIU

    Please comment here and let me know if you're interested in beta testing it.

    submitted by /u/7961636B6572
    [link] [comments]

    Mac shuts down instead of going to sleep when plugged in.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 12:55 AM PDT

    Running macOS Catalina Public Beta

    My Mac shuts down instead of going to sleep when it's plugged in. This is totally weird and has never happened before. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

    submitted by /u/mrdrinksonme
    [link] [comments]

    Right click to paste from clipboard not working in iterm2

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 02:10 AM PDT

    Right click to paste from clipboard not working in iterm2

    In preference, I added the Right click(double) to paste the content from clipboard, but "double right click" not pasting anything.

    https://i.redd.it/8fyrd6xiose31.png

    https://i.redd.it/ohmscgwiose31.png

    submitted by /u/puspendert
    [link] [comments]

    How can I remove FMPD from Security & Privacy?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 09:15 PM PDT

    Log into standard user using admin password?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 07:00 PM PDT

    Is it possible in macOS (10.14) to log into a standard user account (graphical interface) with an admin or root password without actually knowing their password or changing it?

    I know it's possible when they are logged in and you're currently on their lock screen (with OPTION+ENTER), but I'm talking about the login screen and fast user switching.

    submitted by /u/YourMJK
    [link] [comments]

    Calendar Icon Does Not Show The Current Date.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 11:24 AM PDT

    https://postimg.cc/dhHP65Jq

    It shows the default "July 17", no matter if Calendar is open, closed or the Dock restarted several times.

    Changing any setting in "Language and Region" refreshes it and fixes the problem temporarily (until the next restart)

    submitted by /u/EggShellEmotions
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone open WhatsApp on public beta? Any temporary solutions?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 06:36 PM PDT

    MTInstaller Native macOS Application for Installing Themes Now Available - Follow Up To "How To Theme Your Mac"

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 11:23 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/7huRmS0.png PSA: Catalina's new Music app will forcefully update your Album Art and can't be disabled

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 10:26 AM PDT

    Windows management

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 12:14 PM PDT

    I just recently bought a MacBook Pro and so far I'm enjoying. First time ever using a MacOS coming from windows. One thing I miss is windows 10 windows management. How Easy it os to drag a window by the upper windows bar either or double click to maximize no need to find the button. Also, the ease of snapping the windows to either side or curve for a quick dual window or even 4 windows split between windows.

    I find that clicking and holding the green button on top left of window allows the split. But it seems cumbersome with extra steps. Anyone know a way to add a windows 10 like functionality in regards to this?

    submitted by /u/trebills
    [link] [comments]

    [Help pls] Airpod Audio quality on mac with external usb mic

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 11:40 AM PDT

    Hi,

    So recently i picked up a 2012 late imac in order to be able to create ios apps. I got the mac as i wanted something thatll do the job before i end up getting an older Late 2013 macbook pro 15".

    Basically my issue is that the call quality on facetime is awful completely unusable and laggy, but heres the kicker, I have a usb mic connected and selected in the sound preferences tab. Shouldnt that mean that the airpods dont go into that other sound profile for voice calls? and should stay full sound if you know what i mean? So why do they go to sounding like shite when i have a dedicated mic so there shouldnt be a difference in bandwidth???

    Also adding to the confusion when i use my old ass wired apple headphones they dont have this issue when i have a facetime call? how does this make sense

    Any help on this would be amazing. Many thanks :D

    submitted by /u/DanknessEvermemes
    [link] [comments]

    Prevent safari from skipping search pages when going back

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 01:48 PM PDT

    Whenever I'm browsing Safari, if I Google search something, click on a link, and then go back a page, safari skips the Google search pages that took me there, instead going to the page I was on before that. I've looked for a setting, but can't figure out a way to turn this off.

    How do I make safari stop skipping Google search pages?

    submitted by /u/mrandr01d
    [link] [comments]

    Suppress VPN error dialog

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 10:28 AM PDT

    Hi folks,

    I have a VPN script that runs if one connection fails it moves on and connects to a secondary connection .

    Is there anyway to suppress the failure message whenever a connection fails?

    I don't want to see "the server did not respond. Try reconnecting" just want the dialog not to appear.

    submitted by /u/snipergotya
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to make calendar notifications more prominant?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 10:24 AM PDT

    I have found that the small corner notification and little beep that the calendar notifications give are not really prominent enough for me to notice when I am absorbed in video work, and I have been late for a few meetings as a result.

    Is it possible to make reminders that will take over as a full screen notification and require me to click OK to dismiss? Either through the normal calendar app or a third party one?

    submitted by /u/ColossalSquidFarmer
    [link] [comments]

    Cleaning up "System" data from a Macbook Air and some other troubleshooting questions

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm trying to get my 2011 MacBook Air ready for college in a couple weeks. I'm deleting/moving files, pictures, videos, etc. over to my PC -- I want everything on my Mac to be mainly college documents. I'm almost done cleaning my Mac up, but I have recurring issue of most of my data going to 'system.' What exactly is 'system' data and how do I clean up a lot of the unnecessary data?

    This is essentially a whole another question, but I have also had some recurring issues. The first is that my trackpad likes to stick. I could be moving files and my trackpad will 'cling' to the open window and drag it around. It usually is a little tedious to get it to release. This, of course, can easily be fixed with a cheap mouse, but why does it do that?

    The second issue is a little more problematic (though I will have a little difficulty explaining it). Sometimes when I am writing, the cursor will jump to previous place in the text -- for instance, it could jump back to 'trackpad' resulting in something like 'tracvious kpad' (if I was writing 'previous,' for example). Any ideas what might be the issue and what might fix it?

    submitted by /u/MrDatGuy96
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS dark mode lag

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    I am not sure how widespread this is but do other people experience choppy or laggy experience with animations especially when switching between full screen applications. I mostly experience this when in dark mode, light mode seems to be fine.

    People who are using Catalina, are you experiencing this or is is something Apple has fixed and if not could reporting this problem possibly fix it?

    submitted by /u/Pheazon
    [link] [comments]

    how to mac keychain prompt again

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 04:54 AM PDT

    The other day I was using vscode to commit new code, macos keychain prompt me to enter username and password to access gitlab server.

    I failed to login a couple time, then I pressed deny. From that on, I can't no longer commit code in vscode. Now I want to the keychain to prompt that same message again so I can type password again. How to do that?

    submitted by /u/amoc1000
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS Catalina, iPad Pro and Blender

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 08:15 AM PDT

    Hey! Has anyone had a chance to use all the three aboce together (using sidecar)? I am wondering how good it is to use the iPad Pro for blender.

    submitted by /u/DarthMeeseek
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel