• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 6, 2019

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [August 05]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [August 05]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [August 05]

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 08:17 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Report: Apple to provide 'pre-jailbroken' iPhones to researchers, launch macOS bug bounty program

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 06:22 PM PDT

    Big Tech lost $162 billion in value in Monday’s market route, led by plunge in Apple

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 01:50 PM PDT

    16" MBP production to begin September, 15.4" MBP to be EOL'd in November

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 06:00 PM PDT

    wallet.apple.com/apply/iphone/ is now live and people can apply if they have invite for Apple Card Preview

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 09:25 AM PDT

    In praise of the iPhone X-series: I didn't realize how much Apple got right until I had to use an iPhone 8 while my XS was getting repaired.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    I don't know how many of you X-series users have had to temporarily use a loaner phone from Apple while your phone was being repaired. A couple of weeks ago my Face ID camera stopped working and ultimately needed to be sent in for repair or replacement. They gave me a 64GB iPhone 8 as a loaner. I'm going on a week with it now and hoping my XS is back soon.

    I remember being underwhelmed when the iPhone X was announced. I even took a chance on a Pixel 2 because I was intrigued by what Google were doing, but in the end I sent it back as I couldn't stand being out the Apple eco-system, lack of apps, and higher complexity of setting the phone up, organizing it, etc. I still wasn't that enthusiastic about the X and the lack of a home button. As a UX designer I had moments of "huh? How can they get rid of the button entirely???"

    Eventually I got excited about it and got an X on launch day. In hindsight, I probably don't even realize how quick I was to adapt to it, learn the gestures, and generally love how flawlessly Face ID works as a security mechanism to open the phone.

    So fast forward to now, when I've been stuck with an iPhone 8 for a week. It struck me almost immediately how great the X-series is, and how much Apple got right, how easily the phone unlocks, and how it's less clumsy to hold and position a thumb or a finger on the touch id button to open it up. I don't know what else to say but that I don't know where Apple goes from here in terms of true physical product innovation. I think we're really in the stage of software upgrades making the biggest difference aside from standard hardware-based performance increases.

    Have any of you had a non X-Series as a loaner and experienced the same things as me?

    submitted by /u/SirCharlesEquine
    [link] [comments]

    SoftBank president suggests iPhone 11 will launch on September 20th

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 05:17 PM PDT

    Christine Chan’s Guide to iTunes Match, the music service suitable for collectors

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 11:08 AM PDT

    Useful, lesser known Mac keyboard shortcuts

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 12:45 AM PDT

    Apple business solutions: Luxer One parcel lockers

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    China Devalues Yuan, aiding exporters like Apple

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 05:10 AM PDT

    My idea for a hypothetical ‘AirDrop 2’

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 03:25 PM PDT

    The kinda stuff that Apple does best is take some kind of utility and make the experience seamless. The current implementation of AirDrop is really great, but it's all on a local network.

    I think Apple could expand on the concept by allowing us to authorize a subset of contacts who also run iOS to AirDrop over the internet (not dissimilar to how you create a whitelist or contacts for the walkie-talkie feature on watchOS). This would be great for certain kinds of media and would remove the need for opening up an intermediary app. The AirDrop experience would be completely the same, except it would invisibly be working over the internet.

    Neat or trash idea?

    submitted by /u/jackdelgado
    [link] [comments]

    barcode support

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 05:50 PM PDT

    Is there a technical limitation as to why Apple Wallet doesn't support more barcode types? I want to add some library cards and loyalty cards, but they use ITF-14 (or Code 25, not sure), but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. I've tried PassSource and Pass2U, but they only support 4 or 5 barcode types.

    submitted by /u/atomicrabbit_
    [link] [comments]

    Why don't Apple make their own x86 chips like they do with ARM chips?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 02:05 PM PDT

    Yes I know you can't get a license as with ARM but Apple could easily buy (or have bought years ago) VIA which has an x86 license and is making their own x86 processors.

    With that apple could do its own x86 chips specially optimized for Macs without relying on intel nor AMD.

    And given PA semi's capabilities I dont see why not, opinions?

    submitted by /u/tylercoder
    [link] [comments]

    I created a mockup of my dream Apple Music features

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 01:06 AM PDT

    I always use Apple Music as my main music streaming. I can't say that it is the best service right now because I find the app unorganized and still missing simple features found on other application . So I created a mockup of my most requested features. Some of it is simple that can greatly affect the experience of the user.

    1. Credit List - Credit List - We should be able to see the credits on tracks. Just copy what Tidal did. [Credit Screenshot 1] [Credit Screenshot 2]
    2. Better Artist page - I find the artist page lackluster. I want to see more information about the artist. Because of this, I wish we can view social media accounts and Wikipedia page right on the artist page. I is also cool if they added a live video row so not all videos of artist are consolidated in the music video row.
    3. Better personal profile - This is probably my favorite mockup. It is inspired by Steam profile. I designed it to look more similar to twitter and Instagram by showing how many followers/following do you have and by adding the ability to add a bio. I also put an ability to add showcases like your favorite artist and your favorite album. In My favorite artist row, it shows how many songs and album do you have from them in your library. In My favorite albums row, it shows your top 5 albums. You can all customize it to your liking, it is not base on your listening history.
    4. Better video player - Music video is one of the best features of Apple Music. I'm ready to replace Youtube with it if they can make it on par with Youtube's video player. My mock-up is very similar to Youtube/NewPipe, it has options such as video orientation, PiP, setting resolution, playback speed. You also can double-tap either left or right to skip 10 seconds.
    5. OTHERS - I want Apple to focus more on music videos. Talk to record labels because they are missing a lot of music videos. They should also remaster older videos so we can enjoy them in much higher quality. This feature is what differentiate their service to others.

    That is all. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/ttankdestroyer
    [link] [comments]

    Find my iPhone location didn't update for hours before the phone was lost. Why?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 10:51 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    My GF recently lost her Iphone and we are a bit frustrated at the find my iphone app since I made sure she enabled this function when she got her new phone.

    She lost her phone around 1am but the find my iphone app only tracked her phone until 4:45PM of that afternoon. She definitely was using her phone (actively) all the way until when she lost her phone. She had internet connection and definitely used apps that has GPS location services (instagram being one of them) She used her phone that night to coordinate meeting up with friends (so she made calls and transferred messages until 1am. However, when we turn on find my iphone, it gave us a very useless information of where the phone was at 4:45 PM. There was an 8 hour gap between the update of location even when she was using her phone the entire day! Even her whatsapp and FB messenger app shows "last seen" at 1AM!

    I've been crawling for answers of why that is and I can confirm that her phone was working normally. The date is not wrong, she had internet connection, and her phone was at 85% battery during the night so it also for sure had enough power.

    The phone has since been turned off since she lost it so we're not expecting to find the phone but I just wanted to know what caused find my iphone function to NOT update the location all the way until the phone is lost? How can i prevent this from happening again?

    PS this is the first time i've seen issues with the find my iphone app. It sure made me look foolish telling my gf to get the app so we can track her phone even if she lost it.

    submitted by /u/OneMoreCouch
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel