• Breaking News

    Friday, July 26, 2019

    Apple Macbook Did I make the right choice with the 13? I'm a full stack developer who programs in my bed with on my lap or at a desk with external monitors.

    Apple Macbook Did I make the right choice with the 13? I'm a full stack developer who programs in my bed with on my lap or at a desk with external monitors.


    Did I make the right choice with the 13? I'm a full stack developer who programs in my bed with on my lap or at a desk with external monitors.

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 05:02 AM PDT

    Buy 12” MacBook or hold out for newer model?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 10:51 PM PDT

    Hi all, absolutely love the MacBook 12" for its portability which would suit me a lot. Don't need big processor power as would only use it for web browsing and documents.

    My question is - any talk of when/if a new MacBook 12" will be? Don't know how much longer I can hold out 😅

    submitted by /u/Flying747
    [link] [comments]

    Used 2015 MBA vs New 2017 MBA

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 06:51 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I've decided to take the leap into macOS after only ever owning Windows laptops. I've done a bunch of research and decided that for my needs (long battery life, web browsing, watching videos, VERY light photo editing) and at my budget (around $750-800 max) one of the older MacBook Airs will suit me best.

    I can get a brand new 2017 Air (i5/8GB RAM/128GB SSD) right now on Best Buy's website for $750. However, there is also an eBay listing for a 2015 Air (same specs, only 20-something cycles and excellent condition) for $500.

    I'm aware that the performance difference between the 2015 and 2017 MBA are pretty much negligible, but would it be worth spending the extra $250 for a physically newer machine? (I'm also always slightly hesitant when buying used tech online)

    A few quick responses would be appreciated, as I don't want to miss out on a potentially good deal! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/rubblygluvs
    [link] [comments]

    Will 2019 MBP fast charge iPhone X with USB-C cable?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 05:41 AM PDT

    macOS AND windows? Synergy?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 06:23 PM PDT

    Just bought a 2019 Macbook Pro, and was looking into ways of utilizing the two monitors I already have.

    Do you all think if I got a USB-C to HDMI cable and Synergy [ https://symless.com/synergy ] to sync up my peripherals, it would be worth it running macOS on one monitor and Windows on the other when needed? Also, this would save me of getting other dongles for connecting my keyboard and mouse directly to the MacBook, since synergy syncs it up.

    submitted by /u/_riveting_
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro 15"

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 06:13 PM PDT

    Hello, I have had very limited experience with Mac-OS and never owned any. Currently, I am looking at buying a 2019 15" MBP. Originally, I was going to get the higher clocked i9, with 512gb, 16gb, and the 560x. But, I have read about how I cannot upgrade in future so get what I want now.

    My questions,

    Will the vega 20 make a huge difference?
    Is the i9 overkill?
    is 32gb RAM overkill?

    I also heard of a new 16" MBP on the horizon, is this just rumors? Worth the wait?

    The most intensive work I will be doing will be coding, scraping, and video editing fyi.

    submitted by /u/trebills
    [link] [comments]

    Best Value

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 04:05 PM PDT

    I have a Early 2015 Macbook Pro that has a screen crack that I gave to get repaired. It will cost abou $550 to $600. I also about to run out of apple care and would like to get apple care plus so in case I crack my screen again. Are the new macbooks worth getting? I will be spending close to $800 total. What would yall do? I could sell this one and use that money also.

    submitted by /u/mallcall123
    [link] [comments]

    Anyway to disable the dGPU on a 2011 MacBook 8,3 in Windows?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 03:45 PM PDT

    I have a 2011 17" MacBook Pro with the notorious failing AMD GPU issue.

    Anyone know if it's possible to disable the dGPU when I boot into Windows?

    submitted by /u/PanguTeam
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get the MacBook Air (revised scissor keyboard) or the new 13 inch MacBook Pro (LONG)?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 03:44 PM PDT

    So, recently, Ming-Chi Kuo reported a new scissor keyboard for the MacBook Air later this year. The thing is that I am a student, and I prefer the longer travel in other keyboards (like Lenovo ThinkPad). I am currently using a Microsoft Surface Laptop 1st Gen. The thing that really distresses me is Windows 10. My family all used MacOS while raising me, so I have grown accustomed to MacOS. Therefore, Windows seems really difficult for me because of the useless applications and the gimmicks that it provides. When I stop surfing the web, and I resort to Office Suite to find documents or downloads, I start getting a bit annoyed. I just prefer the simplicity of the MacOS. Therefore, I was really happy to hear Apple was ditching their Butterfly Keyboard set-up for a more traditional scissor switch set-up.

    The thing is that I do lots of work, particularly on Office Suite. I need around 256 gigs of storage, and I do not want to pay the full 1300 dollars for an Apple MacBook Pro. The thing I want really bad is the new keyboard set-up. Before, my Surface Laptop, I got to try my dad's MacBook (discontinued, I think), and I despised the keyboard. So, I decided to purchase a nice used Surface Laptop for the keyboard.

    My needs:

    1. Good web surfing experience
    2. Lots of storage
    3. I don't like Touch Bar. I think it's like a gimmick, but I guess some students can find it useful if they are into animation.
    4. GREAT battery life with good affordability
    5. Amazing Microsoft Office Suite experience
    6. Better keyboard

    The thing with the Air is that I am worried that it is going to be slower than the MacBook Pro. I am really envious of the display of the 13 inch MacBook Pro with all its brighter and more depth colors. Unfortunately, I am a display nerd, and I do enjoy having the "greatest" and best Apple product (I can't do 15 or 16 inches, too big). I THINK I can live with the butterfly keyboards, but at the same time, I type a lot, and I would prefer a bit more key travel and more comfort when I type. I guess my biggest doubts is that the MacBook Air (newer one, supposed to be released at the end of 2019) would not keep up with the CPU of the MacBook Pro.

    submitted by /u/bigkiwi7
    [link] [comments]

    Sound issues after moving.

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 03:20 PM PDT

    I have a 2017 Macbook Pro, and use a Hyperdrive for my USB and audio jack. I plug in a DAC through the USB on the hyperdrive, and a set of desktop speakers through the 3.5mm audio jack. Before I recently moved, everything worked fine. After I moved, I only get sound from the internal speakers on the macbook. My dac and speakers show up in the list of options, but will not output any sound. Any help? I am new to the mac world and don't totally understand MacOS yet.

    submitted by /u/MFCody
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting 2 external monitors to macbook pro 2011 without it being mirrored

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 02:32 AM PDT

    Just has the title states, how can I connect 2 external monitors to macbook pro 2011 without it being mirrored? Google isn't helping

    submitted by /u/saammano
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for a macbook 12" refugee?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 04:30 AM PDT

    Hi, new to the community - first up, apologies if this topic has been covered (as i'm sure it has) since this model's recent discontinuation; guess I figured this'd be an opportunity to get situation-specific advice and if that was the wrong call let me know

    I'm a huge, huge fan of the 12" macbook. Got the first model in 2015 and still own it now. Trouble is, for the last year or so it's been on its dying legs for various usual reasons and I'm in serious need of a new laptop - mine's become barely usable and i've even ploughed quite a bit of ££ into it already on various repairs. Seeing that the last update of this model was 2017, I was patiently holding off in anticipation of a refresh in 2019 to purchase, so news of the discontinuation came as a major disappointment as I know it did to (not all but) many.

    I'm in love with the form factor and absence of fan and have no bones with the performance (which has held out well for me as long as all my previous laptops before deteriorating). Appreciate the macbook air's recent updates are decent but after using a macbook 12" for four years, the air just feels bulky and I think it's insane that apple has done away with the smaller form factor.

    So my questions - would it be a crazy move to pick up a specced up 2017 model off amazon/similar? Should I consider waiting even longer to see if apple have a similar new model comparable to the 12" up its sleeve as one of the new European product registration possibilities? Is it at all likely the forthcoming late 2019 air refresh will have a smaller form factor/be fanless? Irrespective, should I bite the bullet and cop an air and just put up with the larger size? Curious to know the plan of other people in my situation here.

    Another outside possibility is to look at hackintosh options for similar sized laptops, but my (limited) understanding thus far is that none of them are powerful enough to do what would be a better job than the 2017 12" model itself performance-wise

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/Rafi_Clang
    [link] [comments]

    Where to sell a MacBook Pro

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 10:20 AM PDT

    I want to sell my 2014 MacBook Pro. I've got it up on CL, and I know the Apple resell offer price (though I'd like to get more than that). No bites so far on CL. Are there other good listing sites to sell a MBP? Or other trade-in sites, know for giving good value (or is Apple's as good as it gets?)

    submitted by /u/WT21
    [link] [comments]

    Independent keyboard with normal f key function

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 09:02 AM PDT

    Hi, wondering if anyone could help me...

    I bought a wireless keyboard but the F keys would not function as normal F keys despite checking or unchecking the box in keyboard system settings to do this. After lots of googling it seems many people have had the problem with own brand keyboards, unresolved, for years.

    I saw one comment in a thread where the guy said he had a keyboard that could remap the keys to normal F functions. I can't find this thread or comment any more so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this or can point me in the right direction!

    submitted by /u/anonumousse
    [link] [comments]

    Changing browser notifications from secondary screen to primary?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 10:47 AM PDT

    I'm using a monitor as my primary screen and my Macbook (2019) as secondary but I can't get my Firefox notifications to show up on the primary screen. Is this a browser issue or can I fix it at the OS level?

    submitted by /u/BlueberryQuick
    [link] [comments]

    My first mac?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 06:29 AM PDT

    Hi there!

    I need some help - I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'll be using macs in my new job and am worried that having windows laptop will have me confuse shortcuts etc. Also I like the OS. The only issue is the pricing.

    My maximum budget is 2000€ - I'm okay with refurbished products. I was considering a 2018 Macbook Pro 13" Quadcore.

    My workload is a lot of creative software like Photoshop, Indesign, Premiere... I definitely need at least 512 GB of storage. Should I go for 16GB of RAM? Or even go with a 15"? Does not having DDR4 RAM matter (in the 13" Macbooks).

    Thanks for helping me. My wallet screams Dell XPS, but my heart says MacBook...

    submitted by /u/FrequentInspector
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook air late 2015 not charging

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 09:25 AM PDT

    When ever i put it on charge it doesn't charge. When clicking on the battery icon i see the battery not being cgarges and power source as charger.

    Tried resetting the SMC but problem still persists.

    submitted by /u/bapuji_
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Menu Bar widgets/apps specifically for international travel/destination specific info (time zones, weather, conversions, translators, etc). Ideas?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 04:05 AM PDT

    As annoying as these comments get - excuse any formatting issues, as....mobile. Also, FWIW, tried searching for this question and didn't find anything exactly on-point, so excuse me if this has been asked a million times. I'm new to this sub (as of 5 minutes ago)....

    Ok, my post .Basically the title. I'm running on a MacBook Pro 2017/Mojave 10.14.5 (not sure if that's relevant)

    I'm a travel agent. I'm in a new country almost monthly. My clients are all over the world, so I need to be on the top of my game for destination specific info.

    I'm looking specifically for menu bar apps that would enhance my job and my travels. To be more exact, I need the following:

    1. A conversion app. Specifically things like Celsius to Fahrenheit, kilometres to miles, square meters to square feet (especially for hotel room descriptions), etc. I really like the Convertor+ app on my iPhone but I don't see it in the App Store for my MBP.
    2. A currency app. I like XE on my iPhone, but can't find that on my MBP either...
    3. A world clock app. I´d like something that shows multiple time zones on the menu bar itself, without having to click for a drop down menu. That said, I´d be willing to settle on a solid drop down app too (assuming that's really my sole option). I need to be able to quickly see client time zones, hotel manager time zones, etc etc...ensuring I'm emailing/calling people at the appropriate hours.
    4. A weather app. I already have one I like (I think its just called ´Weather Widget´), but unless I'm doing it wrong, its only showing MY local weather. I´d love something that shows weather in multiple destinations on a drop down list.
    5. Anything else/any other menu bar apps you think would work for my profession/travels? Any ideas?

    I´d venture to guess there's a ´need a menu bar app´ recommendation post here...daily? Really hope this isn't too annoying but yeah, I think I've lost my touch when it comes to navigating the MBP App Store (I've been Mac free for the past 3 years...just now getting back into it!).

    Thanks :)

    Ah, quick edit: obviously willing to pay for quality content. Developers should be rewarded for creating the content they produce. That said, I'm not looking to drop over $20 for an app, if it can be avoided...unless the app is mind-blowing incredible. (I nearly choked when I saw Fantastical2 was 49 bucks...I know its supposed to be ´the best´...but common!)

    submitted by /u/jax2bcn
    [link] [comments]

    Next week, me and my two brothers will get the MBP 2019 but the base model of MBP 2019, we still can’t order it through online. Do you think we can pre-order it in the store? I am from Philippines. Can you give an advice on how we can avail a discount other than “for education” our parents will pay

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 03:08 AM PDT

    Renewed macbook pro 2019 in October? Better to wait for that one or go for the one just released in July?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2019 02:28 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel