• Breaking News

    Friday, July 19, 2019

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 18]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 18]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 18]

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 08:12 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Apple CEO Tim Cook gives his condolences to tragedy on Kyoto's Animation.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    Apple releasing third public beta of iOS 13 to users today

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    The NVMe Patches To Support Linux On Newer Apple Macs Are Under Review

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 05:48 AM PDT

    iPhone loyalty falls to all-time low, new report suggests

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 08:30 AM PDT

    Apple execs visit Samsung in Korea to discuss fears of iPhone chip shortages

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 06:24 AM PDT

    Apple Store selling exclusive Satechi USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter - 9to5Mac

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 10:04 AM PDT

    Upcoming iPhone XI gets third eye in intriguing new renders

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 01:26 PM PDT

    1Password restores the ability to create standalone vault during setup.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    The latest update post-7.3.3 contains a few important changes:

    > In particular, customers with a prior purchase can once again create a standalone vault during setup.

    I'd like to post an image of the update notes but it seems like this sub directly prohibits it. So here's a link to the latest release notes:

    1Password for iOS Release Notes

    submitted by /u/timmins
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 4 years later..

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 08:15 AM PDT

    I'd like to boast about the astonishing reliability of this machine. Throughout the years of constant wear and tear, daily school work applications, moderate indie games, amateur video editing, She's still running like the day I bought it. Never once has my MBP made a trip to the genius bar. That being said, the only inevitable issue is battery life.

    I'm curious to see how other MBP's are holding up?

    submitted by /u/TI59
    [link] [comments]

    Apple keyboard replacement program

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 11:05 PM PDT

    So I took my MacBook pro 2016, 13in touchbar to apple for the keyboard replacement program because specifically, my d and period key would either double press or not register when I only press it once. so they said that definitely qualifies so they say it will be done within 48hours. about 36hours later, I get a call, but not the one I expected. they said there were screws missing inside so they need to order them in. WHAT?!?! how was there screws missing when the only time it has been taken apart was when it was manufactured? idk how that happened but they say it will take 3-5 days, their standard, to get it done. this was about 4 days ago and I get my laptop back at 7pm on Thursday. the guy who hands me my laptop, says it will cost $102 for the replacement. I stated it was for the replacement program, and it should be free. he takes it to his manager, and the manager agrees with me. the payment is dismissed and I took my MacBook home. I opened it up and I realized they didn't put the same design of the keyboard back in. they actually replaced it with a new design. I can tell because the 2016 MacBook pros don't have the weird symbols above the control and option keys. overall I'm pretty happy with the repair and I hope I don't need to take it back for the same problem.

    submitted by /u/pat_ocnr
    [link] [comments]

    Why does Apple “hide” your order history ?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 03:01 PM PDT

    Today I went on Apple website to check on my orders in the past. It only shows orders from last 18 months. There is no option to view ALL of the past order. I had to call them and ask for a specific order.

    Now I am wondering why Apple does not want you to see any orders in the past?

    submitted by /u/rando_onDaInterweb
    [link] [comments]

    Cracked Dome Switch in 3rd Generation Butterfly Keyboard

    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 07:06 AM PDT

    So at the beginning of the year I bought a 2018 MacBook Air with the 3rd generation butterfly keyboard, I love the computer and was aware of the butterfly keyboard issues before purchasing. I thought the issues were dust related so I thought the 3rd gen with its membrane protecting the mechanism would mean a lower chance of failure so I was weary but not extremely concerned.

    Skip forward a few months after using the keyboard extensively for school writing tens of thousands of words, the E key began repeating and in some instances triple pressing pretty consistently or the strike wouldn't register at all. This is extremely frustrating as E is the most common letter, so it made typing any document a nightmare. I thought the issues were dust related so I thought I could just pop off the keycap and clean the dust out of the mechanism. So that's what I did but to my surprise I noticed something very weird.

    The Dome switch was cracked or more precisely there was a crack between the dome switch and the black what looks like plastic part of the mechanism at the top of the key. I took some photos where you can see the backlight shining through the crack.

    https://i.imgur.com/pjKIPD4.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/4VL89Nc.jpg

    For context I took the keycap off the L key to see if it was damaged, it wasn't.

    https://i.imgur.com/WwNBWf3.jpg

    I haven't seen any images like the ones I collected so I'd like to hear the communities thoughts on this.

    I now have a theory that the keyboard failures are caused by the dome switch failing and not dust. This is backed by the new 3.5 gen butterfly keyboard having a new dome switch, made out of a new material and these experiences with my own keyboard. So the question is if the new keyboard won't fail like prior models, also I would love to see an in-depth explanation as to if this is the reason behind the failures.

    Anyway I guess I have to set up an appointment to get my keyboard replaced, anybody know if I'll get the new gen keyboard even though my MacBook originally had the first 3rd gen butterfly keyboard?

    submitted by /u/captaindesveaux
    [link] [comments]

    Apps switching to subscription model with zero details to existing customers - is this the expected state of things to come?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 08:02 PM PDT

    There was a lot of discussion on the AirMail app for iOS switching to a subscription model with no respect for existing customers who paid for the app.

    Now I see that FileZilla Pro on Mac update says it's switching to a subscription model with 7 days trial. The notification has absolutely no details about if I can continue to use it as is without paying extra. Is this going to be the regular state of affairs for apps which we have already paid for?

    submitted by /u/rubicondroid
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel