• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 24, 2018

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 23]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 23]


    Daily Tech Support Thread [October 23]

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 08:11 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Happy 17th Birthday to Apple's Original iPod

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 02:29 PM PDT

    Stardew Valley for iOS now available for iPhone and iPad!

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 09:00 PM PDT

    Kuo: New iPad Mini to be launched

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 10:09 AM PDT

    Apple iPhone XR review: better than good enough

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 03:09 AM PDT

    Steve Carell Set as Male Lead in Jennifer Aniston-Reese Witherspoon Apple Drama

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 11:16 AM PDT

    Apple registers three new Desktop Macs in Eurasian database ahead of October 30 event

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 02:31 AM PDT

    Apple website updated to show 3D models of iPhone XR

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 09:32 PM PDT

    Daring Fireball: The iPhone XR

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 04:37 AM PDT

    Here's why iPhones are better - LinusTechTips

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 03:02 PM PDT

    Linus made a response video to the video that was bashing Apple. In this one he points out the good parts of ios and apple: https://youtu.be/pev5K7OcW-8

    submitted by /u/CR7SPA
    [link] [comments]

    Apple addressing extreme iPhone XS front camera skin smoothing in iOS 12.1 update

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 03:50 AM PDT

    Kuo predicts new iPad mini 5, AirPower launch in late 2018 or early 2019, more

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 09:53 AM PDT

    Delayed Apple order suggests MacBook Air replacement coming on Oct 30

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 05:49 AM PDT

    For the premium price of the iPhone XS, I expect apple to add the wide angle portrait mode as well, rather than just keeping it on the XR

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 06:44 AM PDT

    It's a software feature and XS can do anything the XR can. So why leave out this feature from XS? As a photographer, wide angle shots with some bokeh always adds a different vibe to the pictures!

    submitted by /u/ur_daddy_home
    [link] [comments]

    iCloud down for some users.

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 11:23 AM PDT

    It appears iCloud is down for some individuals. I am unable to sign in via web and on device. A quick search on Twitter is showing several with the same issue.

    submitted by /u/sg1hammondoftexas
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone XR: The reviews are in

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 04:08 PM PDT

    Apple's Upcoming TV Service to Launch in 100+ Countries in 2019, Starting With the U.S.

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 01:28 PM PDT

    Apple Plans to Expand Uses of Haptic Touch on iPhone XR Over Time

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 09:11 AM PDT

    Does anyone know who the photographers are for the new Mojave desktop images?

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 06:07 PM PDT

    I just updated my MacBook Pro last night to Mojave and noticed the new dynamic desktop image of the sand dunes, and I realised I may have been there when some of the images were taken.

    I was in Death Valley about six months ago and got up before sunrise one morning to head into the Mesquite Dunes. On the way I ran into a few photographers setting up, told them that I'd closed their car door that they'd left open, and then I continued on. After sunrise I went back and struck up a conversation about what they were up to. The three of them were professional photographers hired by a 'company' but couldn't tell me any more than that, but they had two PhaseOne cameras that they rented and said they had been out there all of yesterday, and were going to be set up there, in the one position, all of that day too.

    Of course I had no idea who they were, or why they were working for, but now that I'm seeing this new desktop I'm REALLY keen to find out who they were.

    submitted by /u/burritos-are-life
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone Video Size Comparison (Updated for the Xr)

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 06:55 PM PDT

    I updated my old iPhone video size comparison with the Xr HERE

    This is showing how big videos will be on different phone models depending on the 2 common aspect ratios.

    Despite the Xr's larger sounding screen, the iPhone 8 Plus still has the edge in displaying 16:9 video. The Xr has of course taken the crown for 21:9 content. Hopefully someone finds it useful!

    submitted by /u/anethma
    [link] [comments]

    I’m not saying this would make iMessage perfect, but...

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 07:04 AM PDT

    Two features I would love to see are pinned conversations and typing indicators in group chat. I recently returned from Android and in all the third party chat apps I tried, they featured pinned conversations which was great for helping find me and my wife's/ family conversations. I also have been using GroupMe for some church functions and I like how the typing indicator shows for each person in the chat. Helpful to see.

    Just my two cents that ultimately mean nothing but I thought I'd share here.

    submitted by /u/justanothernewbie
    [link] [comments]

    XS Max review from an ex-Android user

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 08:58 AM PDT

    My smartphone history is as follows: Xperia Mini Pro, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 7, Nexus 6P, Galaxy S8+, iPhone XS Max.

    My opinion on Andoid is that it has it's pro's and con's but one con that I experienced is that phones degrade a lot after 1 year of use. I saw people happy for longer with iPhones so decided to switch and see what was what.

    So here's what I think of my 256Gb Space Grey XS Max after 2 weeks of use:

    The Good:

    - Screen: It's amazing. Colours are less vibrant than on the S8 but that's not actually bad since they look more realistic. True tone is nice on the eyes and brightness is also amazing as it let's me see the screen easily anywhere I am. Small bezels are also very nice. The notch isn't an issue for me, as I see the extra screen on the notche's sides as extra space for the clock and other things so they don't take space from the apps. It's also nice that some apps (like instagram) default the volume slider to where the clock shows up, again not distracting the content of the app itself.

    - Battery life: My. Holy. God. My S8 with medium usage would have 40% battery around lunch time when I woke up at 8AM. My XS? 80% battery life. I just hope this amazing battery doesn't degrade as fast as my S8's battery did.

    - Sound: Not much to say here other than it's nice to have stereo sound that's actually fairly loud even tough the phone is IP68.

    - Call quality and Sound recording on general: Another amazing thing. By far the best call quality I've ever had on a phone. The same can be said about the sound of any video I make with this phone.

    - Performance: Another thing that I don't need to say much about. It's insanely fast. That pretty much covers it. Being a fan of fluid things I feel completely in love with this phone just for it's brutal performance.

    - 3D Touch: I beg Apple to never take this away from iPhones. It's so amazing! I hate long pressing on things because it takes long to do stuff. 3D touch is almost as instant as a single press. Also it allows for more options, there's press, long press and hard press. Don't ever take this away from the iPhone Apple, please!

    - App optimization and design: Everything seems more fluid and is designed better for the iPhone, from big details to the smallest things.

    - Continuity: When it works, it's amazing. Universal clipboard, Safari tabs from my phone showing up on my Mac, making calls and sending texts from my Mac, etc. Really amazing functionality.

    The Meh:

    - Camera: I don't love it. I don't hate it. I think the Pixel takes better photos especially on the front camera. The iPhone takes better videos (specially the sound) tho, so it's a tie for me. The second camera (it's my first phone with a dual camera) is also... eh. Sometimes useful to shoot things that are far away but I rarely have a use for it.

    The Bad:

    - Charging: I can't complain much because I had an iPad charger laying around that I use every day on this phone and it charges it very well. But the charger that comes in the box is just ridiculously slow for a phone with a battery this big.

    - Continuity: Yes, it's good and bad. Great when it works, but it's a shame it's not flawless. Safari tabs from my phone show up on my Mac, but the opposite doesn't happen and it's supposed to. Also, Instant Hotspot doesn't work either. I have to use Hotspot like in any other Android phone, by manualy turning hotspot on on the phone and selecting the network on the Mac. There isn't an option on the Mac to turn on (and off) the iPhone's hotspot like it's suposed to (and like I've seen on friend's macs and iphones).

    The Ugly:

    - Keyboard: I write in Portuguese and English a lot. Android keyboards allow me to do this, specially Swiftkey that I religiously used for years. Also, you could long press for useful shortcuts like "@", "#", "_", "%", "&", etc. While you can install swiftkey on an iPhone and that allows me to write in 2 languages at all times without it being constantly autocorrecting like the oem Apple keyboard does, you can't have long press shortcuts on an iPhone. The iPad's keyboard now has this (not by a long press but with a 'drag the key down' of sorts), it's a shame the iPhone's keyboard doesn't do the same. Also, different apps show me different sizes for the Swiftkey keyboard (it doesn't happen on Apple's keyboard), for example: Facebook Messenger shows the regular keyboard size, Instagram uses a slightly smaller one.

    TL;DR: The iPhone XS Max is great, I don't think iOS is restrictive like many Android fans will make you believe. Camera is good but not the best around. Design, build quality, battery life and performance are insane. The Apple ecosystem rocks. I'm sold on iPhones and I'll add to this AirPods and an Apple Watch at some point (maybe when the Watch 5 and AirPods 2 come out).

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/KirekkusuPT
    [link] [comments]

    Apple’s CEO Tim Cook to flag trust and humanity in major privacy speech

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 02:24 PM PDT

    iPhone XR Review - Rene Ritchie

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 05:21 AM PDT

    Probably the most in-depth review of the XR I've seen this morning.

    https://youtu.be/JgtwN52uvzo

    submitted by /u/QuickQuestionPC
    [link] [comments]

    $4.99 Halloween-Themed Movie Sale on iTunes

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 11:44 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel