• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 3, 2018

    Apple Help What does "Reset My Default Keychains" actually do?

    Apple Help What does "Reset My Default Keychains" actually do?


    What does "Reset My Default Keychains" actually do?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:42 PM PDT

    I was trying to resolve an issue with my Apple Watch not unlocking my 2016 MacBook Pro TouchBar. After several unsuccessful attempts of troubleshooting, I found this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8088744

    I followed the steps laid out by the user 'XianNewman' and I ran into some trouble after resetting my MBP. I assumed when I reenabled iCloud, my iCloud keychain will replace the new Mac Keychain, but I'm not sure that it did. Aside from the obvious effect of

    1) deleting all my passwords, including my fingerprints for the MBP touch ID, 2) my Messages app stopped working, I couldn't send or receive both iMessages or SMS, 3) my Text Message Forwarding was turned off on my iPhone, 4) my adBlock extension, my only extension, was removed from Safari, and 5) when I open FaceTime from my MBP, ALL the contact in my log are listed as "Unknown".

    In the middle of trying to resolve some of these problems (namely 2 and 3), I may have reset my Keychains again without unchecking Keychain from the iCloud Preferences which may have caused the other issues to arise. Eventually, I restored the Keychains folder from a Time Machine back-up, however all my stored passwords still have not returned.

    Besides having Text Message Forwarding turned off, my iPhone seems unaffected thus far.

    So my question is, why have all these seemingly unrelated problems arisen after I Reset my Default Keychains? What does resetting the keychains exactly do besides deleting stored passwords? Is this an issue of not waiting long enough for iCloud to sync everything back to my MBP?

    Thanks in advance for the answers!

    P.S. I got my Watch to unlock my MBP

    submitted by /u/paupypaup
    [link] [comments]

    When I text my friend texts become marked as read immediately but they say they don't get notifications for them.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 05:30 PM PDT

    When I text my friend (who has an IPhone 8) every text immediately says it's been read, however they say that they aren't getting any notifications for my texts. (I have an IPhone 6s) This doesn't happen with any of the other people that I text so I have to assume that something is wrong with their phone. They also say that when they cover the light sensor the screen goes black as if it is locked (I know this might be an intended feature but thought I would include just in case). They are concerned that perhaps someone has remote access to their phone because sometimes things are tapped on their screen without them doing anything.

    tl;dr Texts to friend show up as read when not read with no notification.

    submitted by /u/Church_of_bacon
    [link] [comments]

    1 year old 2015 rMB, is my battery normal?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:58 AM PDT

    My 2015 Retina MacBook, running the latest software update, is almost one year old and the battery barely lasts 3 to 4 hours with keyboard light completely off, brightness at 3 bars, bluetooth off and only casual web browsing through safari. I downloaded Coconut, and it showed 85% battery health at 270 cycles. In comparison, my Mid13 MacBook Air, has an 84% health and 888 cycles and was bought in the summer of 2014. Is this normal or should i try and get it fixed through the Apple reseller?

    Many thanks

    submitted by /u/lifeowner771
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 6s audio problem

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:43 PM PDT

    My iPhone 6s thinks that headphones are plugged in and will not output sound. They speakers still work when As a ringer but I can't seem to figure out why it thinks headphones are plugged in when they are not. I tried turning it on and off multiple times and Bluetooth is off

    submitted by /u/amardhaliwalGO
    [link] [comments]

    Confused about iCloud backup data on a new iPhone.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:42 PM PDT

    I just got a new iPhone X to replace my water damaged iPhone 6s, and I setup my new phone with the backup data from the old phone. I got something like 2,000+ out of 6,000+ photos back, and various other app data and whatnot. Now whenever I try to delete photos I get a message saying that they won't be sent to "recently deleted" because my iCloud is full, and the photos are instantly deleted. As far as I can tell the only ways to fix it are to delete the old backup data from my iCloud, or to buy more iCloud gbs. If I delete the old backup data, will it just delete it from my iCloud, or will it delete it from the new phone as well?

    This might be a totally stupid question, but all the iCloud shit confuses me to no end lol

    submitted by /u/pacificnwasia
    [link] [comments]

    My iPhone just sent a message 23 hours after I posted it in a personal chat. Is this still a thing?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 07:19 AM PDT

    Am I mistaken, or was Apple supposed to have fixed this? If they have not yet, is there a workaround?

    submitted by /u/spdorsey
    [link] [comments]

    Can't install mac os on new SSD, format fail

    Posted: 03 May 2018 07:16 PM PDT

    My old hd went bad , replaced it with new ssd.

    I did Command + option + r, went to disk utility. Go to "reinstall Mac os" but New hd doesn't come up to choose... Looked it up , internet said you have to erase/format the new ssd for it to come up and be recognized. So when I go to disk utility, erase/ format ssd , it comes up with an error and cannot complete the format... Andddddd I'm stuck.

    Anyone out there know what to do?

    Is there a different way to get Mac os on New ssd?

    I don't have time machine backup.

    I don't really care how it's done , just want her up and running.

    Appreciate your time, kind stranger !

    submitted by /u/poulton002
    [link] [comments]

    Gmail app, Mail app, or other (free) mail app?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 07:00 PM PDT

    I took my email off my phone about 1 1/2 years ago since I didn't want to be checking it all the time. I think I'll be putting one of them back on. It's a Gmail account.

    Is it more secure to use the Mail app or Gmail app? Does it matter? Is there a better app? What do you recommend?

    I am sure it will snowball into putting all my mail accounts (work and non-work) back on, so having easy ways to get different accounts would be great, too.

    I used to use Mail all the time in the first ~10 years or so having iOS. So that's all I am familiar with.

    Order of concern is security then ease of use.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/goldstandardalmonds
    [link] [comments]

    Backup/Restore iPhone Help

    Posted: 03 May 2018 06:59 PM PDT

    First sorry that this is so long but I am worried about my photos and stuff and this seemed like a good place to ask.

    Okay so I have an iPhone 6 with a completely destroyed screen. I had managed to create a restore backup (not sure if I am using the vocabulary correctly) completely to iCloud a few months ago. I am borrowing a temporary iPhone but it only has 16GBs.

    I did a restore but it tried to restore everything (since my old iPhone had 64 GBs I kept all my photos on there). It looks like it got my apps and texts contacts etc and it tried to do as many photos as possible till it filled up my iPhone. I went into photos and deleted all videos to try to free up space but it looks like it just re-added the others that couldn't fit before and flooded the space again. I then saw in my manage hard drive I could just sync the photos or something so it wouldn't be on the phone but it looks like it started that but didn't work.

    I then noticed if I tried to delete something it said it would delete it off all my devices! I am worried because my other iPhone has a broken screen but was on and I hope it didn't delete from that phone. I tried checking my photos on iCloud.com but when I check photos it looks like it only has some of the photos that I had on my Macbook but none from my phone. Which doesn't make sense because I just restored a backup to this new phone.

    I can't click trust on my broken iPhone to grab the photos and stuff from it and I am just overall worried. Is there a way I can get the photos or is there a reason I still see my iPhone backup but I can't grab the photos from it online?

    Any help is appreciated. Sorry again for the long post.

    submitted by /u/WhatDaFlip
    [link] [comments]

    My friend's iMac is frozen on the gray boot screen

    Posted: 03 May 2018 09:15 AM PDT

    My friend's iMac is stuck on the gray boot screen. The computer boots but stops at more or less 50% gray screen. I have restarted in single user mode and reinstalled the system. Same problem. I have created a bootable USB drive with El Capitan (the most recent OS his iMac 7,1 can use) and reinstalled El Capitan from that disk. Same problem. The system installs but freezes at the same point.

    I have proceeded to reset the PRAM ans SMC. No change.

    His computer has a history of hard disk problems. The hard disk have been replaced 2 times before. Can this be a hard disk problem again?

    What more can be tried?

    submitted by /u/CoolAppz
    [link] [comments]

    Changing iTunes store country?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 03:07 PM PDT

    So long story short, I was browsing online and clicked an album into iTunes Store that wasn't available in the US Store. So the typical "Not available in this country" screen popped up, and I hit "change store", thinking this wouldn't be an issue.

    Now I tried to change back to the USA store, but it says "To change stores, you must cancel your Apple Music membership". Seriously? So I went and canceled it, and I still can't change. I've read other posts saying you have to wait until the membership expires to change stores.

    Is this true? Am I just fucked out of using Apple Music for a month then cause of one silly mistake?

    submitted by /u/TikiForce
    [link] [comments]

    2014 Macbook Air turns on but screen stays black

    Posted: 03 May 2018 06:29 PM PDT

    My mom's Macbook Air (2014, 11" model) turns on (you can hear the boot chimes), but the screen doesn't show anything and remains black. Connecting it to an external monitor does not work. Neither does reseting the SMC and NVRAM. Anyone has another idea? Booting in safe mode doesn't work either.

    submitted by /u/Uaenitag
    [link] [comments]

    How do I safely manage files from my old Macs Time Machine Backup on my new Macbook

    Posted: 03 May 2018 02:20 PM PDT

    So I have an external HD that I used for Time Machine on my old computer. My current macbook doesnt have the HD space to just restore from the old time machine backup but I still want to have access to some files.

    The backups contain some old projects and files that I still want to have access to but some stuff I just want to delete.

    How do I go about managing these files within the backups.backup folder without breaking something.

    I assume I cant just delete a whole folder from say 03-17-2017 even though I have the 05-17-2017 folder. Right?

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/James_Maker
    [link] [comments]

    Is this damage to the device or just the screen? (iPhone 5c) right side of the touch screen also doesn't work

    Posted: 03 May 2018 06:00 PM PDT

    2015 MBP severe sporadic performance issues

    Posted: 03 May 2018 01:59 PM PDT

    I have two issues plaguing me with my 2015 MBP and they're about to drive me crazy. Issue 1 is annoying but doesn't impact my work, but issue 2 absolutely kills my productivity until it resolves.

    1. If I put the laptop to sleep at night, when I wake it in the morning, I experience a lot of screen tearing for instance when scrolling in Chrome or Airmail. The only thing I can do to fix this is to restart the computer. It's almost like the video card isn't running at full capacity after sleeping. Weird, annoying, but I can deal with it.

    2. The second issue is the one that prompted this post. Recently, as in the past few weeks, the computer will randomly start lagging to the point of being unusable. I will be in the middle of typing and all of the sudden my screen will start flickering, typing will be lagging by 1+ second, and the trackpad haptic feedback will lag by 1+ second. The mouse will be jerky. It just becomes an unusable mess. When this happens, I have opened Activity Monitor and force closed everything extra that was running, and this does not help the situation. I see no high CPU/RAM users during this time, and the fans don't spin up to high. It just suddenly, for no reason I can tell, stops performing right. The only way to fix it is to reboot AND rebooting through the Apple menu closes everything, but freezes on a black screen. The only way to actually reboot is to hold down the power button until it restarts. It's a major pain and causes me to have to restart whatever I'm working on at the time and I've got to get it fixed.

    Any ideas on either of these would be most appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Special_Kev
    [link] [comments]

    Formula to determine fees based on a marketplace sale

    Posted: 03 May 2018 05:40 PM PDT

    I'm working on creating a formula that will automatically compute fees from various markets I sell product on.

    The photo above is the sheet I'm working on. I need the formula to take from the "marketplace" column which the item was sold on either "eBay" or "swappa". If eBay it would calculate eBay's marketplace fee (9%) or if "Swappa" it would automatically insert swappa's fees (below) based off of the "Sale Price" column.

    So far I've only been able to pull only the fees from one marketplace with no "then" function.

    IF($B2="eBay",Sale Price eBay×0.09,)

    https://imgur.com/a/GkrkvD4

    Running High Sierra 10.13.2

    submitted by /u/cratermc
    [link] [comments]

    I can’t get my pc to detect my iPhone. Today I tried to plug my iPhone 7 Plus to download my pictures and I can’t iTunes detects it but it doesn’t p on explorer. I tried everything :(. Anyone? It’s on win 10.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 05:12 PM PDT

    2017 MacBook Pro 13in not charging

    Posted: 03 May 2018 01:15 PM PDT

    Hey guys, My Macbook Pro is plugged in, but not charging. When i hold the power button, it just gives me the dead battery symbol. Been trying for like two hours without luck.

    submitted by /u/realbgraham
    [link] [comments]

    iMac 5k 2017 issues

    Posted: 03 May 2018 01:10 PM PDT

    So I was using Mac normally and suddenly the screen turned off and it shutdown. I simply turned on the computer again and the screen is pitched black but my usb connected keyboard is lit and it seems to be on the login screen because it sounds an error typing stuff. The fans are also on full blast.

    Because it responded to keyboard pressed, I decided to login to my account and sure enough it worked. I managed to get onto a terminal and typed "say hello" and it actually said the command! What could the issue be :( is it the video card? Would that make the fans blow at full force?

    I installed RAM a month ago and first tried that but after taking out the new ones it had no effect. I'm still within the 1 year warranty, would taking it to the Apple store be the best bet?

    I tried resetting the SMC many times but nothing changed. I also cannot tell if the nvram actually works because the screen is dark.

    submitted by /u/runtime_error0x
    [link] [comments]

    Mission Control isn't working at all, no matter which way I try to enable it.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 12:31 PM PDT

    Be it using F3, the 3 finger swipe up (which is enabled). I've logged out and logged back in. I've restarted my macbook. I've turned off the three finger swipe, turned off my mac, then turned it back on.

    Nothing works.

    submitted by /u/HumongousTuna
    [link] [comments]

    A number of issues with Bootcamp

    Posted: 03 May 2018 04:06 PM PDT

    So I've been having a number of issues since installing Bootcamp a couple months ago. I have Windows on an external USB SSD so that may be the cause of some of the problems. Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problems (2013 Mac Pro).

    1. Whenever I choose to boot back to MacOS, Windows says that it cannot locate the volume. To get around this I usually have been just shutting down my Mac and unplugging my USB SSD once it shut off.
    2. I cannot have two monitors (Thunderbolt 2) plugged into my Mac in Windows otherwise I get weird line artifacts and flickering. I don't have this problem in MacOS.
    3. If I have my two Time Machine drives (USB hard drives) plugged in while in Windows my computer may randomly freeze. This usually will happen when I go to shut down.

    So far I've been getting used to dodging these problems and if I do everything correctly I don't run into any other problems. Just wondering if anyone else has had these issues.

    submitted by /u/CodedGames
    [link] [comments]

    My airpods no longer connect to my iPhone automatically

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:05 AM PDT

    For the longest time, I would pop my airpods into my ears and they would connect to my iPhone. But about a week ago they stopped. I put them in, and nothing. I open up bluetooth on my iPhone, click the airpods, and it says "Connection Unsuccessful".

    Every time I want to use them, I have to turn off bluetooth, turn it back on, And then click on my Airpods. If I take them out of my ears, I have to repeat that process.

    I tried "forgetting" the airpods on my iPhone. I also tried resetting my airpods case. Didn't fix it. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/DVNO
    [link] [comments]

    Normal external display behavior?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:00 AM PDT

    When you have an external display, is it normal/expected to have a Mac's display blink once or twice when it wakes up and detects the other screen?

    I've also had the external display briefly flash static in this initial sequence.

    Everything works fine, otherwise. Quick flashes to black just make me uneasy after dealing with my mid-2010 MBP's kernel panics for years.

    submitted by /u/Duddleswell
    [link] [comments]

    Weird error printer on a MacBook Pro and a Ricoh MP C307

    Posted: 03 May 2018 12:03 PM PDT

    Strange printing issue going on with my friend's work laptop and their printer. They have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) (MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4), and the printer is a Ricoh MP C307. What it boils down to is this:

    Printing works fine until a pdf file is printed. After that, printing anything that is NOT a pdf file results in 'ERROR: invalidfont OFFENDING COMMAND: xshow'. Printing pdfs continues to work just fine. This can be remedied by restarting the printer, but as soon as a pdf is printed again, this error returns for any non-pdf file printing attempts.

    There is a Windows machine also connected to the same printer which is not having any issues printing, it is seen only on the Mac. The Mac has the most current drivers from Ricoh available, and they are PS drivers.

    This is an odd, and specific, issue. Just wondering if anyone here might have any ideas. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Kabump
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to find out if a store has replacement AirPods cases in stock?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 11:54 AM PDT

    I've had an incredibly frustrating support experience with Apple today after having lost my AirPods case. I won't go into it here except to say that among the many ridiculous and frustrating things I learned is that they require you to know your AirPods serial number to even open a support case for a lost case ... even though losing your case means your batteries die and you can't find your serial number anymore ... FML).

    What I am trying to figure out is how to tell whether or not a particular store has replacement cases in stock. Ridiculously, phone support can't check stores' inventory, and I was even told by someone who genuinely seemed to want to help that "stores kind of jealously guard their inventory information, so they may not even be honest with me about it." WTF!? Do you know how frustrating it is to be told by a huge corporation that I, as a customer, can't be helped because some other part of the corporation isn't honest!? Gah.

    Anyhow, my question, again, is is there any way to find out before I head to a store whether or not they're going to have the part (in this case, a replacement battery case for my AirPods) that I need?

    I'm hoping to find out because I'm traveling tonight and would like to get one before I leave, and I've already wasted over an hour on the phone plus a (hot and sticky) walk to one store (which was out) and back without getting one.

    Thanks in advance, Apple experts! Cheers!

    submitted by /u/snark_nerd
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel