• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 5, 2018

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [May 04]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [May 04]


    Daily Tech Support Thread [May 04]

    Posted: 04 May 2018 08:16 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Apple: My request for all the data it had on me was eye-opening

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:05 AM PDT

    My iPhone was robbed and the thief was able to deactivate “Find My iPhone”

    Posted: 04 May 2018 09:24 PM PDT

    So, here is my story.

    I live in Brazil and yesterday 2 guys robbed my iPhone 7 Plus. They had a gun so I just gave it. They asked my lockscreen passcode, but I was to nervous and ended up saying the wrong one.

    Anyway, they got away and later I thought "thank god I said the wrong passcode". After 20 minutes I was able to log in on iCloud and put my iphone on "Erase All" mode, because I didn't think I could get it back. But, the iPhone was already offline. After 1 hour, I called my phone's company to block my phone number.

    Anyway, today I received an email from Facebook saying that my passcode was changed using my phone number. I found out 30 minutes later and changed my passcode. I also removed the phone number connected to the account. Later, I tested and I found out that if you have a phone number linked to your Facebook account, you can reset you passcode easily using only a SMS from the phone number, like what!!?? Don't even ask for email. They probably did it during the hour that I took to block my number. And by doing that, the thief was able to get my information. Unfortunately, I was using a very stupid lockscreen passcode on my iPhone that, probably, he was able to get from my facebook. So, they could get into my iPhone now, but it never went online on "Find My iPhone".

    Later today, I received an email from "Find My iPhone" saying that it was deactivated from that iPhone and now anyone could use it! I couldn't belive, so I checked on iCloud and it was really gone! How could they do that if turned on the "Erase Mode"??

    I spent the rest of the day changing my passcodes and thinking how they did that. So I tested something on my friend's iPhone. I put it on airplane mode and entered the passcode for the lockscreen, like they would do because they found out on my Facebook with my phone number. Them, I deactivated the Touch Id (it only asks your lockscreen passcode) and deleted all his fingers. After that, I went to "Accounts and Password" and BOOM, everything was there!! Apple id, everything, using only your lockscreen passcode... and I did it all offline, on airplane mode!! So now, with my Apple Id and passcode, they probably were able to get into "Find My iPhone" and remove it!

    So I learned something, you need to use a really strong lockscreen passcode or doesn't use Apple's password manager, because it's really easy to get into it. Also, if I've said the correct passcode to them on the first place, they could have deleted Touch ID and get into the "Accounts and Password" the same way.

    Sorry for my english.

    submitted by /u/rzymler
    [link] [comments]

    TIL that when asking Siri to calculate a tip in countries where it is not customary, it will respond by telling you that you do not need to tip.

    Posted: 05 May 2018 12:01 AM PDT

    The Apple Music app is horribly designed

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:23 AM PDT

    I've been using Apple Music (AM) for a while now and for the most part, I really like it. However, I just can't bring myself to love it.

    tldr: Although the AM service is great, the app itself is an embarrassment to the pedigree of design that Apple is known for.


    Disclaimer: I'm currently a student, and as such, I'm paying the student price. I also use Spotify. I am currently biased towards the Spotify UX, however, I don't use one more than the other. This post is exclusively a complaint about the Apple Music app itself and as far as I can tell, the Apple Music service is quite possibly the best music streaming service I can find in regards to catalog size, but God help me if the app isn't atrocious. For something made by Apple, I'm honestly surprised about the UX design nightmare that it is. This post is a little long, so I'm gonna try to break it up into sections.


    Overall (tldr... but longer)

    The Apple Music app is too slow. Not operationally, but functionally. To do a task that should take me as long as it does to snap my fingers, I have to go through too many steps. This seems counter-intuitive to a user friendly design and Apple's overall design principals. Considering people are paying $15/mo. for this service, the app should be a lot better.

    Queuing

    Note that I'm only one user and I know no one else in my social circle who uses Apple Music, but as I said above, I think the UX is atrocious.

    I know very little about actual user experience design, however, I use AM everyday and every time I use it, I find myself scratching my head. A big issue I've found with this, for example, is queuing music. With the Spotify iOS app, you need to simply swipe from left to right to queue a song (vice-versa to (un)save a song). This is so elegantly simple and makes using Spotify almost preferable. Now, I'm not saying that AM needs to do this exactly, but the current process of queuing a song is ridiculous, in comparison.

    I get the point of integrating 3D touch to bring up additional options, but to have to hold down a song (while not accidentally playing it) and to then find the option to queue that song in a rather long list of options is a little too much work and too distracting for something that could and should be easily done with a simple motion. When I'm doing work and listening to music, I don't want to have to stop to focus on queuing a song I decided I want to listen to next.

    Additionally, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just stupid. But I feel like the point still stands that it's still a questionable design choice. I'm just fat fingering everything, but anytime I search for a song, then try to queue it with what I'm already listening to, AM just decides I meant to play the song I want to queue and will start playing that instead.

    With queuing, I think Apple needs to find a simple gesture that's faster and will reduce the likelihood of accidentally playing a song.

    Searching

    The issue I have with searching is similar to the one I have with queuing. I think AM's current search feature is great, for a general search feature of both my library and all of AM, but it still takes too much work to find one song or one album. If I'm playing my music by song, and I want to find another song to play next, I shouldn't have to go to a different tab, type in what I'm looking for, and then choose from a list of artists, albums, and songs, just to look for and play one thing.

    I'm not saying to remove this. I think it's useful and I still use it as is, but while I'm browsing my own library, I should be able to swipe down to show a search bar that will allow me to search my library based on how I'm currently viewing it. This is something the iOS music app had before (I think they may have removed it when Apple Music became Apple Music). Again, this is something Spotify does, that I think makes the experience a lot quicker and easier.

    The current system of having the alphabet on the right is a bit archaic in that, for the most part, it's a glorified scroll bar.

    Shuffling

    This is probably the most controversial thing I'll say, but it really bothers me.

    I think Apple needs to rethink how they shuffle songs. I'm not sure if it's completely random (I think it is) but it annoys the ever-loving fuck out of me. I have a 40 minute commute to work and for the past four days I think I've heard the same 30 songs exclusively... (I want to collect statistics on this, just to make sure I'm not going crazy -- I think this is a gambler's fallacy thing), but I would like it if Apple amended their shuffle algorithm from truly random, to "random." Spotify experienced an issue similar to this and did change their algorithm to make a truly random shuffle feel random by making it not random.

    Remembering Library Position (ties into shuffling above)

    This really bothers me and ties into shuffling a bit. When I stop playing music (usually for a long period of time), Apple Music will forget where in my library I left off. This is profoundly annoying and compounds the shuffling issue.

    There have been times where I'll get out of my car, come back some hours later, and find that Apple Music is replaying songs that I literally just listened to. I'm not sure if this is because AM reset the shuffle (why?) or what, but I feel like Apple music should tag music in some way that indicates it's already been played for a shuffle period (where a "shuffle period" would be one instance of hitting shuffle). For example, if I hit shuffle, Apple Music should never decide to play that song again until I choose to shuffle again, or until I finish listening to my library. This should be a thing, but for some reason it's not.


    These are my biggest issues. I don't think Spotify is perfect but Apple definitely needs to focus on the design of their app just a little bit more... but maybe this is just me and it's all in my head... please let me know.


    In the spirit of my fondness for the app here's a list of stuff that I like:

    1. Automatic downloads on saved music
    2. Additional sorting options based on how you're filtering your music
    3. Being able to add files from my computer to iTunes and find them in Apple Music
    4. Ability to pull up lyrics to a song from in the app

    edit Added image links

    edit 2 Added additional thoughts about memorization (see "remembering library position")

    edit 3 Fixing some typos and clarified things

    submitted by /u/tenderizr
    [link] [comments]

    Next Year's iOS 13 Update to Feature iPad-Focused Upgrades Like Revamped Files App

    Posted: 04 May 2018 12:42 PM PDT

    iPhone X users, do you think Apple should remove the “virtual line button” from the bottom of your screen? We already know how to use it and it seems redundant....Also, do you find yourself accidental sliding and using it during an app?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:19 AM PDT

    HTC uses iPhone 6 motherboard in teaser for new smartphone

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:33 AM PDT

    Apple Acknowledges Microphone Issue With Some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Models on iOS 11.3 and Later

    Posted: 04 May 2018 09:19 AM PDT

    Wasn’t the W1 in AirPods supposed to, and did initially ship with, automatic pairing switching between Mac and iOS? Pretty sure it shipped for like a week, then they removed it. Is my memory correct? Because I want that back!

    Posted: 04 May 2018 05:42 AM PDT

    MacBook Pro Keyboard Replacement if extremely expensive.

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:37 AM PDT

    My MacBook Pro with TouchBar has some serious problems with keyboard. Almost all keys are stucking what makes my device completely useless. When I went to service they asked me for $1200 for a replacement because my MacBook is out of warranty(14 moths old) I don't hide that this price is unacceptable.

    Does anyone have any ideas how to fix that? Have you called Apple for a free replacement?

    submitted by /u/Meddy96
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro 2016/17 keyboards. How does the recall process start? Does Apple voluntarily has to do it after realizing thousands of MBP are requesting a fix, or can we go to some government agency and sign something?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 12:59 PM PDT

    Another Macbook Pro 2016 keyboard complaint of a true apple fan. I have never publicly complained about Apple before. (with video of wobbly Spacebar)

    Posted: 04 May 2018 05:40 AM PDT

    First off I'm an Apple fan like the rest of us, I love my AirPods and Apple Watch, I have an Apple TV that I like and some other stuff. A Time Capsule in the loft for backups.

    I've had Macbooks right back to the Powerbook G4 (12 and then 17 inch).

    I have never publicly complained about Apple, this is the first time.

    I've had enough of this keyboard. I have had the following keys break in various different ways:

    Brightness down (I dont have the touchbar one) this key has to be pressed extreamly hard to turn the brightness down.

    Left shift - ranges from 20% broken to 100% broken depending on the day and how much compressed air has been sprayed in it.

    Space bar - very wobbly, broken, needs to be hit very hard to work.

    Here's a little vid - pressing it in the vid does not make a space happen, you can only press it on the right-hand side of the bar. https://imgur.com/a/7i6fvz0

    M key - today this went. I've had to buy a bluetooth keyboard to type "git commit -m" which is impossible on my Macbook Pro keyboard.

    I went to the Apple store just after year of buying it so the Apple Care had ran out. They said they'd fix it but it would take 7 days. 7 days with no laptop and no replacement. I asked for a refund any they said no. I asked for a downgrade to the old MacbookPro. They said no.

    This laptop costs £1249 in the UK. That's 1,695.55 USD if I do an exchange rate on it now.

    If I can talk some people out of buying it then great, I think I've talked 3 people out of buying it so far - I just want everyone to know to not buy this laptop until it's fixed.

    I mean, I'd be happy if it actually worked, but I dont think that's going to happen.

    The worst thing of all is I'll just buy another Apple laptop in a few years so it doesn't really matter.

    submitted by /u/smickie
    [link] [comments]

    My mac is pregnant!?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 07:47 PM PDT

    My MacBook air suddenly got swollen last week, and today my gf's Mac is also swollen! Do you guys know how to fix this? Do I take it to the apple store?

    submitted by /u/sede10
    [link] [comments]

    YouTube App on iPhone X

    Posted: 04 May 2018 09:32 PM PDT

    Anyone have any issue with the latest YouTube app update where you can't post comments? Because it won't let you scroll down to post one? I have reinstall the app and that didn't fix it. Just wondering if anyone else had that issue.

    submitted by /u/Abaker101
    [link] [comments]

    I just received my 2016 15" MacBook Pro back after its second apple repair... now its a frankentosh (2016 and 2017 parts)

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:19 AM PDT

    Thank god for apple care...

    My first repair was for the ghosting on the screen. They also replaced the I/O boards as well. Six months later, the laptop would no longer charge.

    Diagnostic mode showed the battery failed. So the second repair replaced the battery, top case, logic board and new I/O boards again. when they replaced the top case, i got a 2017 MacBook Pro keyboard.

    The only item original to this computer is the bottom case.... at what point do we call this model year problematic?

    submitted by /u/Z7N6Qo
    [link] [comments]

    Best iOS ePub reader in 2018

    Posted: 04 May 2018 05:11 PM PDT

    Is it just me or iOS reader app market is on the bottom today? iBooks hasn't been upgraded with any noticeable features for centuries, interesting and once powerful third-party projects stalled in their progress (Marvin). Personally I don't see any app I could use without regard to other options - some have limited text formatting functionality and cloud synching, others - no annotation synching at all and nowhere I'll find some things that should have already been implemented in 2018 long ago (handwritten notes in ePub, interconnected books in libraries through notes etc). As books are an important part of many people's life I find it quite strange that we have superfast devices and no proper reading solution. What's your opinion on the current state of iOS reading apps? What app do you use?

    submitted by /u/tinpoo
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to get notifications when you're favourite artist drops a new single on Apple Music?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 02:07 PM PDT

    Just wonderig if this was possible, otherwise it would be a nice feature. I saw that notifications were activated within Apple Music, but I never receive any notification. Am I doing something wrong?

    submitted by /u/LiquidPirateCat
    [link] [comments]

    AirPods: Life Without A Headphone Jack

    Posted: 04 May 2018 09:18 AM PDT

    When Apple decided to ditch the headphone jack, many people were furious. I was in this boat, but needed a new phone so I bought an iPhone 7. It's been almost two years since the phone has been out and I wanted to share my experience with living without a headphone jack.

    First stage: I used the phone with corded earbuds and with a lightning adapter for a few months. During this time, there were some mild annoyances like not being able to charge while listening to music.

    Second stage: I got tired of carrying around an adapter, so I started using the lightning earbuds. This eliminated the need to carry an adapter, but introduced another set of problems. Since I couldn't use the earbuds with any other device except for iOS devices, I had to leave a set of regular ear buds at work for my MacBook. Also, I forgot to bring regular ear buds once on a flight overseas, so I was stuck using the cheap airline provided ones or using nothing at all. Like the first stage, there's the issue of not being able to charge and listen at the same time.

    Third stage: I finally broke down and bought some AirPods about a year ago. This eliminated my charging & listening problem, but I still have to remember to bring corded ear buds for flights. Not really a big deal though. AirPods themselves are a well designed product. They are easy to carry around, perhaps even too easy. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm going to lose the case or accidentally leave it in a pants pocket. It hasn't happened yet, knock on wood. However, there are some drawbacks that I'll list below:

    • The auto play/stop feature works about 90% of the time. Sometimes when I remove the ear buds when playing on my MacBook, the music does not stop. Not a huge deal, just annoying.

    • They fit in my ear well, but I'm paranoid they are going to fall out. I live in a big city, so there's always a fear that someone is going to snatch them or they will fall out on a busy sidewalk.

    • Pairing is buggy. If I want to use a single AirPod as a bluetooth headset to make a phone call, pairing usually works fine. However, if I put in the second AirPod during a phone call, it usually does not connect. I have to remove it from my ear, put it back in the case, take it back out, and put it in my ear several times. Sometimes it even requires putting both AirPods back in the case.

    • Pairing is buggy x2. Sometimes I'll have to click on "AirPods" in the volume indicator on my MacBook several times for the AirPods to remain connected. There are also some pairing glitches on my phone which seem to have gotten worse then iOS 11 came out. Also, it's possible to have each AirPod paired to a separate device. If you insert a single AirPod and pair it to your MacBook, then put the other AirPod in your ear, it will still be paired to your phone.

    • Pairing takes time. The 5sec it takes to pair when switching between devices is kind of annoying.

    • I've noticed that my battery life has decreased since I purchased them. I used to be able to get through a 2hr conference call with a single AirPod, but the time has decreased to about 1.5hr.

    Do I miss the headphone jack? Yes, but having AirPods makes the transition a lot easier. It's not the perfect product, but they certainly beat out the competition.

    In the future I'd like to see Apple transition to USB-C on all devices so corded headphones can work with all devices, even non-Apple.

    submitted by /u/housedengue
    [link] [comments]

    It is really surprising that there haven't been rumours about iOS 12 and the next macOS

    Posted: 04 May 2018 03:01 AM PDT

    Except that they might be only performance improvements, and the whole same apps for Mac and iOS thingy

    submitted by /u/rbktech
    [link] [comments]

    HomePod Disappointment

    Posted: 04 May 2018 09:56 AM PDT

    I bought the HomePod within the last 3 months was very impressed by its sound and ability to be my AppleTv's speaker. What I don't understand is why is there not more customization feature wise? Every time I play music from my phone and then want to watch tv I have to switch the input back to the AppleTv? What issues with your HomePod do you think need to be addressed? (Other than the obvious 'siri is horrible' take)

    submitted by /u/Grudenismydad
    [link] [comments]

    Can't delete old books icons in iBooks on Mac

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:12 PM PDT

    I have some crazy shit happening with my iBooks on Mac (2017 w/TouchBar if it matters). I can't delete any book from it. Moreso, I can't even open any book from the list of books in the app! They are my old books I downloaded a long time ago but since then I deleted them through iBooks on my iPad. So my iOS iBooks works perfectly on my iPhone and iPad (these books are not there) but Mac just shows these old books icons I can't do anything with. How do I clean the app? It really is a garbage now

    submitted by /u/tinpoo
    [link] [comments]

    Something peculiar just happened on a Safari popup ad...

    Posted: 04 May 2018 04:11 PM PDT

    So I was looking at something on my phone and suddenly a new tab opens up and it launches twitter. Being quick I closed Twitter and went back to Safari to close the tab but I noticed that my screen was recording. I definitely did not activate that so I tapped it and paused the recording but it didn't save to my camera roll. What just happened? Is this some next level info stealing or is this just a bug in iOS 11.3.1?

    submitted by /u/TinuThomasTrain
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like it is incredibly difficult to discover you music I like in Apple Music

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:25 AM PDT

    I was using Spotify for 4years and switched to Apple Music two years ago. I still feel like Spotify is MUCH better in recommending music of my taste and the premade playlists are much easier to navigate and find as well. Who else feels like this?

    submitted by /u/Polypropylen
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel