• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 28, 2018

    Apple Help Good online and in-computer learning about Macs

    Apple Help Good online and in-computer learning about Macs


    Good online and in-computer learning about Macs

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 08:45 PM PST

    I use Macs and Mac products, but I honestly don't know that much about them or what they're capabilities are. I have an iPhone 7 Plus, a MacBook Pro circa 2014, and an iPad. I really want to get to know the machines and what they can do and even some rudimentary how to fix them. Is there something online, like a Khan Academy class or something like it, that pretty much teaches you from step one on how to use your computers?

    submitted by /u/HairyDavid
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck trying to put music behind iMovie.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 09:57 PM PST

    I'm trying to put a song behind a video on iMovie for a drum cover but when I pull up my music on iMovie to choose which song they're all grey and say that they're "in the iCloud and must be downloaded to this device". Now I've never really grasped the whole iCloud idea so I've never really tried to mess with it but all my music on Apple Music is downloaded and I can play the songs offline with no service. I have a few songs that I purchased individually back in the day on iTunes before Apple Music that will work on iMovie, but I assume it's because I purchased it directly from the iTunes app. Any help regarding how to "download" this music from the cloud to my device would be HEAVILY appreciated!

    submitted by /u/dankdaddydameboi
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 7+ freezes during restart, stuck on apple screen

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 08:45 PM PST

    Every time I turn my phone off it gets stuck when it tries to turn back on. It's currently stuck with the white screen with a black apple and has been for over an hour, it is plugged into my computer with itunes on and keeps turning off and back on to try to reload itself.

    When it started having issues earlier today I was getting out of the car and disconnected from bluetooth, I could no longer hear the person I was talking to and they couldn't hear me. They called me back and I answered but my phone kept vibrating after the call had connected, they still couldn't hear me. I did a hard reset and have been trying for about 5 hours now to get my phone working again. At one point it turned itself back on like there was no problem. I tried to make a call and it still didn't work. I stupidly thought it was safe to try to turn it off and back on and have been stuck since. I tried updating the phone in restore mode and restored it from a previous back up. I'm currently still trying to turn it back on from the restore, it's still turning itself off and on.

    I have the most current iphone ios and the most current version of itunes.

    Any ideas? I don't have Apple Care and its over a year old.

    submitted by /u/mandino788
    [link] [comments]

    New to iPhone X. Need some tips.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 08:43 PM PST

    I'm new to the phone, got a magnetic car mount, but I don't know if it'll mess with "wireless charging" Also, what is the best wireless charger in your opinion? Helpppppp

    submitted by /u/iBrownBeard
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro small nick on screen

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 08:39 PM PST

    So I accidentally scraped the bare screen of my 2015 15 retina, so there is no simple glass replacement.

    It's very minor and not deep or bad at all, but it bothers me a ton.

    Other than replacing the entire display assembly, what can be done? Are there any repair kits or DIY methods of mitigating scratches on LCD glass screens?

    submitted by /u/Athrowawayaccount98
    [link] [comments]

    Sprayed compressed air at my 2016 MacBook but it came out as liquid. Now most keys in the area are unresponsive. Do I need to get my whole keyboard replaced?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 09:11 AM PST

    Hello. Last night it seems I ended up using a can of compressed air wrong, and when I sprayed it onto my keyboard, it just came out as liquid. I wiped it off immediately, but a few minutes later some keys in the area stopped responding. The lights in the keys are still fully functional. The unresponsive keys sometimes work if I press them repeatedly 5-10 times, but it's rare. Is it likely that I'll have to get my keyboard replaced, or is this something that can be cleaned off under the keys? Some of the keys feel a little sticky underneath for what it's worth. I turned off my laptop and tried to let it dry overnight but it seems the problem is still there.

    submitted by /u/hazaddy
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to have custom startup/shutting off sounds?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 07:13 PM PST

    I am on the early 2015 13in MacBook Air, running High Sierra, and I was wondering if it is possible to have custom sounds play when my computer turns on, goes into sleep mode, shuts off, etc. I did I google search but was not able to find any results. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ArchiDrio
    [link] [comments]

    iOS Files App

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 11:11 AM PST

    Anyone have a minute? I Airdrop a document from my phone to my iPad. My iPad asks me what I want to open with. I select Files. I see the doc name at the top, and On My IPad on the left. There's a grayed out Add in the upper right. But I can't do anything. Help! I just want to get the document to my iPad.

    submitted by /u/MrPrettyKitty
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro 15in Mid 2015 version 10.13.3 Wallpaper Resets after Restart?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 06:35 PM PST

    Hello everyone!

    Whenever I change my desktop wallpaper to something other than one of apple's wallpapers and restart my computer, it reverts back to an apple wallpaper. Is there anyway to fix this issue? I looked up solutions, and many say to make sure that the "Displays have separate Spaces" option under Mission Control is unchecked, which it is already, so I can't seem to figure out how to fix it myself. Any help is appreciated! Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/vulenti
    [link] [comments]

    Apple can't fix my phone issue than ask to pay to replace phone

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 06:34 PM PST

    Unexpected keyboard behavior e.g. type "m" get "bcnvxz"

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 06:24 PM PST

    Hello. Typing on my friends computer. I have a Mac OSX EL Capitan 10.11.6, ~2010 Macbook. I'm having trouble with these keys: m, j, i, k, u, 7, 8. I found this article on discussions.apple and iterated through the proposed list of things to try to no avail. It looks like my Mac "notices" the key has been pressed since it sometimes does something. E.g. in the terminal I can type a,s,d,f no problem, then if I type "m", the terminal window might minimize. Or, if I type m the terminal window will display "bcnvxz". After displaying "bcnvxz" if I continue to type "m" nothing happens.

    Strange issue which is inconsistent in how it behaves.

    Does anyone recognize this or have any advice on how I can identify the issue?

    Edit. We tried the keyboard viewer which didn;t appear to tell us new information. The viewer keys flashed when we pressed each key except the ones mentioned, where it either did not flash of if pressing e.g. "k", many keys simultaneously flashed.

    submitted by /u/dougMcfir
    [link] [comments]

    Where to find tech to swap HDD for SSD?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 06:14 PM PST

    Howdy all,

    I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini (2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, HighSierra OS) with the OWC data doubler caddy installed, have the OS running on a SSD and the second drive is a HDD project drive (not sure rpm speed, as I bought the mini second hand with these upgrades). I just started editing video projects, and it's become apparent I really need to swap that HDD for another SSD.

    Where can I find a competent tech to do this for me? Will the genius bar do it?

    I normally do my own computer work, so I've never taken something to a shop. In this case however I need this done fast and correctly the first time.

    Many thanks!

    MC

    submitted by /u/marmalade_cream
    [link] [comments]

    One phone two users, how to temporarily clear everything and bring it back later?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 05:38 PM PST

    Hi,

    The context here is that my mom is leaving on vacation for a while and will not be taking her iPhone 6s+. I have my own iPhone 5s that I have been using with my preferred apps and settings.

    Is it possible to backup my mom's data on the computer, transfer my 5s data to the 6s+, and later when she comes back put the 6s+ data back?

    submitted by /u/goddezz
    [link] [comments]

    Won’t let me skip recently downloaded songs, only skip ahead 30 seconds. How do I fix this?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 01:49 PM PST

    Unable to log into facetime "An error occurred during authentication". Macbook air 13" 2017.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 05:33 PM PST

    Hi. After googling a little, I've seen a lot of questions and complaints about this issue, but none of the proposed solutions have worked for me (time/zone, DNS change, reset keychain, etc).

    Does anyone have read a forum in which this problem ended up with a real solution? Any ideas?

    Thanks so much.

    submitted by /u/bad_gateaway
    [link] [comments]

    OSX aborts full screen/split screen mode when I press escape. Can I turn this off?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 04:17 PM PST

    I've found this super frustrating. When using Safari full screen, there are often times when I want to hit escape to deselect a cell in Google sheets or whatever, and I end up exiting full-screen mode.

    I believe it works as it's supposed to for the full press, but I have a habit of hitting more than once to make sure it's been pressed. In every single OS before this, that has no ill-effect except here it exits full-screen.

    Is there a workaround here?

    submitted by /u/ch00f
    [link] [comments]

    Live Photos "stuttering" (iPhone 8, iOS 11)

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 03:56 PM PST

    Greetings,

    I am having problems with Live Photos on my new iPhone 8 with iOS 11 - there is a "stuttering" (or "dropped frames") in the middle of the video. It didn't happen on my previous iPhone SE with iOS 10, so I assume it's an iOS 11 related issue. No update (so far) helped in any way.

    Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED2ucAmT5v8

    Not only it's annoying and rather disappointing, but I haven't found anything about this issue on the internet (including Reddit). I tried to ask in a few subreddits over last few months (Apple, iOS & iOS11), but with just a couple of replies it's hard to say how common this issue is.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Xarrgon
    [link] [comments]

    I'm unable to change my microphone from my external back to my internal. How do I fix this?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 03:36 PM PST

    I recently got new headphones which have a microphone and I can't seem to change my microphone input back to my internal. When I go to the input settings in System preferences, it doesn't show my internal microphone, just my external. Is there any way I can change back to my internal without having to use different headphones?

    I'm on an iMac running Sierra if either of those matter

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/wonkydrum
    [link] [comments]

    Add mp3 to iTunes from iOS without using computer?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 09:22 AM PST

    I was emailed mp3's that I want to add to my iTunes Match. Actually I can do this no problem with my Late 2008 MBP. However, the issue made me wonder how could I do something like this in the future? My MBP is on its last legs and my plan was to go iOS only when it dies, with my iPad Pro. The iPad Pro seems to handle most of my needs; but is this a problem that can't be solved without a computer?

    submitted by /u/acoustic4meplz88
    [link] [comments]

    Voicemail message keeps switching back from Custom to Default

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 10:51 AM PST

    Currently operating iOS 11.2.6 on an iPhone 6S. Will not keep the custom VM greeting - often switching back to default within an hour of selecting the custom greeting setting.

    Edit: sorry! It's an iPhone 7, not 6S.

    submitted by /u/TamStar417
    [link] [comments]

    MB Pro (2011) - restore question

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 02:35 PM PST

    Hello.

    We had some problems after upgrading OS to the latest version (and restoring from old backup)

    Ended up having an error at boot up. Black bars with white text and kernel errors.

    Had the person visit an Apple store and they did a wipe and reinstall. Said it maybe hardware error and to see.

    Anyway. What's the best way to keep personal data but not have any corrupted old OS or whatever.

    They have a time machine backup and they had used iCloud for personal files on the MacBook. They haven't logged into iCloud with the newly restored laptop.

    Would you do a data migration? Would just logging into iCloud pull down all the personal files without need for old backup ? Would This include old imessenger chat logs ? I assume everything in user dir gets backed up to iCloud so Amy attachments for programs even if the apps aren't reinstalled the attachments would Come over ?

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/mb0200
    [link] [comments]

    Cursor disappears frequently on 5k iMac startup??

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 09:38 AM PST

    Anyone know what's causing this—Late 2014 iMac 5k. I phoned Apple about this many months ago and they sent me into safe mode and that fixed the issue—for a week or two. Are there are permanent solutions for this? It really gives me a lack of confidence in this machine and can make using it a chore.

    Happens often when I reach login screen where I can't even select user account pic to login. Sometimes I can use keyboard to get logged in, but today even this workaround wouldn't work. I used to happen where it'd disappear when I recached the desktop. All of this is so confusing.

    submitted by /u/GLOBALSHUTTER
    [link] [comments]

    Using Apple Music

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 09:17 AM PST

    Have itunes and a PC, am trying to take advantage of Apple Music 3 mo free promotion. I cannot figure out for the life of my what I can access in the store for free. I realized after reading what I could that the Apple music universe is no place for someone without PhD level education and intellect. I only have one advanced engineering degre... Help?

    edit: screen shot of my preferences

    edit: using windows 10 + itunes account.

    submitted by /u/The_Kitten_Stimpy
    [link] [comments]

    Random shutdown issue with a 15'' Retina Macbook late 2013

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 01:01 PM PST

    Hey guys, this post is to document my issue with the 15'' retina macbook from late 2013 in hopes that someone had a similar problem and knows how to deal with it. My laptop has 16GB of RAM, 512Gb of storage and Radeon discreet graphics.

    The issue itself: random shutdowns. No recovery, or any other acknowledgement by the laptop that this happened. Just you're working and suddenly it freezes, fans flair up and it shuts down. I noticed that this happened more often when using CPU intensive software (Lightroom) and never happened to me while playing games (Borderlands 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Diablo III). It also happens while completely idle, when put to sleep. So in all honesty, I have no clue what triggers it.

    It started ever since I updated to Sierra. However, initially it was not a big deal - one shutdown a week or so and it never bothered me. Once HighSierra came by, this has become 1-20 shutdowns a day. I had a 2h span in which it died on me 14 times.

    I brought it to Apple late November last year (2017) and got it back in early December (2017) with the issue being diagnosed as battery related. I remember reading about one guy who had a very similar issue to mine and exchange of battery did not help. But hey, they did all the testing and even once I pointed this out, the Apple genius seemed very sure that the battery is to blame. Fast forward late February 2018, I bring in my laptop for the replacement and got it back today with a brand-spanking new battery. Once I returned home, loaded up Lightroom and bam! same old story.

    So, anyone with same issue?

    submitted by /u/h3qnb
    [link] [comments]

    The display for my 27” 5K iMac late 2014 shuts off randomly. What is going on?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 12:59 PM PST

    I have a computer problem and I'm very stressed/upset over it. My iMacs display keeps shutting off for some reason, but the computer keeps running. It doesn't happen too often, but it's been happening a lot more as of last week. It usually happens when I'm playing League of Legends i game often on it My computer gets laggy, fan gets loud and then it shuts off. Sometimes it turns on right after, but sometimes it takes a while for it to turn back on again. Every time it wakes up again it takes me to the lock screen of my computer and I have to put in my password to get in. I'm freaking out because it's a $3,000 computer and it's only 3 years old. There's no reason for this to be happening. I made an appointment with Apple for next Wednesday. You think it's an easy fix? It's out of warranty. Am hoping I won't have to pay more than $500 for it.

    submitted by /u/-HonestMistake
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel