• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 28, 2018

    iPhone Lawrence Finch on "Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Battery Drain and other considerations"

    iPhone Lawrence Finch on "Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Battery Drain and other considerations"


    Lawrence Finch on "Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Battery Drain and other considerations"

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 04:40 AM PST

    I found this post from Lawrence in the Apple Support Communities and thought it worthy of re-posting here.

    There is a myth that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on iOS devices (and other manufacturer's smartphones) drain your battery. As a result, a lot of people turn off Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth to "save battery life." This is the result of some self-appointed guru in the trade press years ago saying that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are energy hogs. It isn't true, and there is no reason to turn either off, and several good reasons to leave them on all the time.

    Some real facts (for iOS, although similar for other manufacturer's devices):

    • Wi-Fi is off when an iPhone or iPad is asleep, unless plugged in. So turning it off is redundant.

    • If WiFi is not actively being used it uses no power. Yes, it scans for networks every 15 seconds when the phone is not asleep, but that's just a receiver, and uses no measurable power (less than 1 mw).

    • When WiFi is connected it uses 30 mw continuously, whether transferring data or not. But mobile data uses from 50 to to 500 mw depending on signal strength when using data or voice, so Wi-Fi is always the better choice if you are actively using the phone.

    • Bluetooth uses no energy unless it is connected to a device. So there's no point in turning it off. And you are clearly using it when it is connected, so you don't want to turn it off then, either. While it listens for Bluetooth devices, it uses no measurable energy to do so, as with Wi-Fi.

    • When Bluetooth has an active paired connection to a hands-free device it consumes 2.5 mw. As the battery capacity of an iPhone 8 (not plus) is about 6900 mwh, if Bluetooth was the only thing using power the battery would run down in about 2800 hours, or about 3 months. Some Bluetooth devices require higher power; the most will be 10 mw, but that still means that if your battery life isn't what you think it should be, the problem is not Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

    What are other reasons that some users turn off Wi-Fi?

    • To protect against hackers: There are no known hacks that use Wi-Fi with iOS devices running current versions of iOS, so this is not a valid reason to turn off Wi-Fi.

    • To avoid being tracked: There are services that track your location by detecting your Wi-Fi address (MAC address). 3 years ago Apple recognized this as a privacy issue, and they implemented a way to block MAC address tracking. Unless the network is one that the phone is actively connected to, iOS sends a random MAC address when a network "pings" the iOS device. So you can't be tracked through Wi-Fi. You can override this feature by connecting to, say, a mall's or store's "free" Wi-Fi service. So think twice about using "free" Wi-Fi; it isn't really free; you are paying with your privacy.

    • So you don't get pop-ups asking if you want to join a network: The correct solution is to go to Settings/Wi-Fi and turn off "ask to join networks."

    Why should you leave Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all the time?

    • First and foremost, there is no reason to turn them off.

    • Wi-Fi provides assisted GPS (aGPS) for location services. Apple maintains a database of Wi-Fi networks worldwide. So even if you can't receive GPS satellite signals at all your iOS device can know your location. And when you first acquire GPS satellite signals after changing your location Wi-Fi positioning can speed up the process.

    • If the phone is screen-locked, connected to power and connected to Wi-Fi if you turn on iCloud Backups the iOS device will back up daily, so the most data you can ever lose if your phone is lost, stolen, breaks or crashes is one day's worth. Which is why it's a good idea to plug your device in overnight, every night.

    References (You can search for them by name):

    • Wi-Fi energy consumption: IEEE Standard 802.11

    • Bluetooth energy consumption: IEEE Standard 802.15

    • Cellular energy consumption: Cellular Data Handbook

    Why re-post rather than just link? Ease of reading without leaving Reddit, plus having a copy is handy incase that post ever gets removed. sweet sweet karma that's why

    submitted by /u/knightcastle
    [link] [comments]

    I really like wood

    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 01:55 PM PST

    I asked nicely

    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 08:43 PM PST

    My Fan-Made Apple Commercial! Please tell me what you think.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 05:23 AM PST

    can someone find this wallpaper? thanks!!

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 12:36 AM PST

    You’d think Apple would fix group messages, Notifications, etc. considering everyone at Apple headquarters probably uses an iPhone

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 07:10 AM PST

    I'm more of a sticker bomb/graffiti guy (8+ and 10.5 Pro)

    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 06:01 PM PST

    Anyone know of a repairshop in Germany that would be able to fix this? Apple won't do anything since the phone has been opened. (Its an IC something error so replacing the camera won't work)

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 01:02 AM PST

    Dumb question, will swapping my US Verizon SIM for a local sim in India mess with my imessage or anything else?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 07:45 AM PST

    Yes I did use the search bar, didnt find anything too helpful.

    Going to india for a few weeks and want to use the local sim cards. Will this mess with my imessage account or anything else? I don't want to have to deal with a clusterfuck when I come back to the states and put my verizon card back in. A few years ago I tried to do the same thing and I recall there was a huge fiasco with my US phone number unable to activate and my imessage number being changed etc etc.

    submitted by /u/The_Kommunist
    [link] [comments]

    I just upgraded to an iPhone X and my photos didn’t transfer

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 07:49 AM PST

    I upgraded to an X yesterday and restored my phone through iCloud backup and everything but my photos are on my new phone. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/arjunsinger
    [link] [comments]

    Who uses Apple Pay Cash, and if you have what has your experience been with it?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 11:02 PM PST

    Changed a wallpaper to fit the iphone x

    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 04:25 PM PST

    I just wanted to buy an app

    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 03:55 PM PST

    iPhone 7+ or iPhone 8

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 08:12 AM PST

    Hello,I am currently searching to swap my cracked s8+ with an iPhone ,I think ,and wanted to know ,should I get a 7 plus or 8simple ,both new ,at the same price .Thanks in advance !I want something comparable to my s8+ or better . Forgot to mention! i8 64 gb and i7+ 32 ,likely.

    submitted by /u/raduzor
    [link] [comments]

    2 problems, iPhone x draining battery when idle and music stopping with every Snapchat notification

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 08:10 AM PST

    Overnight I wasn't charging and left my phone be. Closed all apps wasn't running anything, the battery drained from 38% to 14% in the morning. Any reason why this could be?

    Also every time I get a Snapchat notification, my music pauses itself and I have to manually go and play again.

    submitted by /u/jasonblokeboy
    [link] [comments]

    Poll for iPhone X users: Which gesture(s) do you like and dislike the most?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 06:24 AM PST

    I'm a product (UX) designer currently experimenting with some new gestures, very early stages. I've got some strong assumptions on how it could be improved but wanted to ask the community for their opinion so I have a deeper pool of ideas when exploring solutions.

    submitted by /u/sandorgyuris
    [link] [comments]

    Backup question

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 07:48 AM PST

    I have a 5c and want to upgrade, but I have old videos saved in the Qik app. Qik is long dead, and I can't export the videos of my kids. Should my encrypted backup on my laptop have this app and data, so that I don't lose these videos when I change phones? I'm sorry for my ignorance, this might be a stupid question. But I'd really appreciate some help. I'd rather have an old phone than lose those videos.

    submitted by /u/Captain_Who
    [link] [comments]

    Method 2018 iPhone 6s Polarizer repair in 3 simple steps

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 06:05 AM PST

    Any one has the link to this wallpaper?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 09:16 AM PST

    Choosing a case for iPhone X

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 07:02 AM PST

    I'll be taking advantage of Verizon's latest offer and getting myself a X. I'm trying to choose between the Incipio Dualpro, the Speck Presidio, And the Otterbox Symmetry. They all seems to be pretty similar: dual-layer silicone rubber inside a hard plastic shell. I like the minimalist look of these cases. Has anyone had positive or negative experience with these products?

    submitted by /u/PretentiousManchild
    [link] [comments]

    I made a 'Shot on iPhone' video. What do you think?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 08:47 AM PST

    Is it bad to top up your iPhone battery throughout the day?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 10:05 PM PST

    Basically what I mean is short quick charges. Plug and unplug. Plug and unplug. Or is it better to let the battery drop down low to then start charging?

    submitted by /u/sasukeuchiha21
    [link] [comments]

    Why does Siri pronounce this random statement with a spooky accent?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 06:30 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel