• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 27, 2017

    iPad Returning to the iPad (10.5): Impressions

    iPad Returning to the iPad (10.5): Impressions


    Returning to the iPad (10.5): Impressions

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 03:55 AM PDT

    tl;dr: My impressions: (1) the 10.5 IPP is "the" ideal tablet size (AR) for me; (2) the inking function is excellent though ease of use is an issue (maybe an app thing?); (3) Screen, ProMotion is noticeably better and impactful (on and to my eyes): Expensive!! (4) Files app is...incomplete!; (5) Assuming s/w refinements over time, this is what I had pictured a tablet to be.

    My intro to the iPad was with the iPad 4. At the time, I was replacing a Nexus 10 with it. It was heavy but that Aspect Ration (AR) was just right. I traded that in for an iPad Air and I loved it. But 1GB RAM and the meagre storage that I could afford was a bit of a crimping factor.

    Meanwhile I had been using the Surface tabs (the RT and the 2 - non pro) and while the first edition was fab to look at, it was seriously limited for reasons well known. The S2, however, was good. I also began using the Surface Pro 3 (followed by the SP4) as my main computer hooked through a dock to external monitors and HDDs.

    My work involves serious academic reading and writing. This involves a lot of reference-work, annotating and increasingly it was becoming difficult for me to cart around my bag of books and folders with hard copies of journal articles. So, I looked around for a device that would serve as a digital notebook in which I could write notes, read and access an online repository of documents (my personal library you can call it). To do this, I chose the Surface 3 (non pro). For one thing, the AR was serviceable though still a bit awkward in portrait mode. I got the 4GB/ 128GB version and it served me well. Screen started yellowing but the real problem was after these many years, the charging cable got caught on the leg of my chair and it fell to the floor and the screen broke. Long out of warranty, it was not worth repairing. I shopped for a replacement and found another S3 but the 2GB/ 64GB config. I bought it but that was a mistake. 2GB is just not enough and the battery life was not really being helpful. I needed a replacement.

    I researched the iPad Pro. From the start, I was not interested in the larger version. Since I use the SP4 everyday, I know what it would feel like in hand - weight aside. So, I zeroed in on the 10.5.

    There are no Apple Stores in my current location; only authorizer resellers and I needed to handle one. So, I made the trip and checked it out in person.

    From the moment I held it in my hand, I knew this device was for me. It had exactly what I wanted in design and HW terms. The AR as always was amazingly on the dot. The thinner side bezels made reading and annotating a real pleasure. The apps of course are excellent but I already knew that from my Air 1 days. In short, a long time back I had imagined what a tablet would look feel and function like. In many ways, the IPP 10.5 fits that bill.

    The Pencil works very well and I prefer it - in terms of feel in the hand - over the Surface Pen. But the latter has a few advantages such as the eraser function built into the Pen, among others. The charging system for the Pencil also probably needs a better solution.

    We all know about the confusion that the Files app has brought in its wake. And, if I was to criticize the IPP, then it would be in this context. The thing missing in the IPP is a way to navigate the file system but I expect Apple will refine this Files App rapidly. If they do so in the near future, the IPP will truly be a superb refinement of a mobile digital device (in my assessment).

    I use Office 365 and OneDrive, which allows me to keep my three digital devices in sync (my phone (MotoZ1Play); my main computer (SP4) and my digital notebook (IPP 10.5).

    One more thing. It may not be important to anyone else but for me it made a significant difference. Lately while using the S3, I noticed I was getting light headaches. Using the IPP - arguably a lot more than I used my S3 - I don't seem to have the problem. Its rather difficult to describe but it is more soothing for me to read on the IPP (the S4 is not bad too in this context).

    Anyways, expensive though it was, for me the IPP 10.5 has been a revelation and, till now, an excellent experience.

    Apologies for the long post!!

    submitted by /u/kristalsoldier
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you find your wallpapers for your ipad?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 01:45 PM PDT

    Looking for a nice collection of wallpapers that scale correctly for my 10.5 inch ipad.

    submitted by /u/inAnalysisHell
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro 10.5 battery life is significantly worse since upgrading to iOS 11

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 09:46 AM PDT

    After many years of using an iPad 2, I upgraded to the Pro 10.5 when it came out and love it, especially the battery life.
    I watch NFL RedZone on Sundays on my iPad which is 7 straight hours. The first two weeks, on a full charge, I was able to make it through the whole 7 hours with battery remaining. I upgraded to iOS 11 last week, and this past Sunday under the same time frame, the battery was completely drained after about 3.5 hours. The worst part is I plugged my charger in and the battery still drained while I watched, I didn't think that was possible.
    Are these just inevitable hiccups of a new iOS that should improve with updates? Is that normal for the iPad to still drain power when it is plugged in and you are using it?

    submitted by /u/BreakingBlind
    [link] [comments]

    Question: Write greeting card and print using my printer? Can it be done?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 11:39 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I want to write my own text on my iPad Pro and then put a greeting card in the printer and have it print. I just measured a card and tried it with Notability but the problem is that it tries to center a note on a piece of 8.5x11" paper. I then created a PDF the size of the greeting card and that lines up PERFECTLY but again is centered on an 8.5 x 11" piece of paper.

    Is there an app or a way of doing this? I've tried Notability, Penultimate, Goodnotes and Notes and I cannot find a way of doing it.

    THank you!

    submitted by /u/ChrisF79
    [link] [comments]

    Does an ipad case need an opening on the back to "dissipate heat"?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 01:14 PM PDT

    Currently shopping around for a case for the ipad pro 10.5 inch.

    I noticed some cases will have an opening or notches on the back for "heat dissipation". Like this case.

    Is it actually necessary? Haven't noticed the ipad getting very hot at all, but I have been using it without a case.

    submitted by /u/beantoot
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone having any issues with Procreate and the new iOS?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 07:11 AM PDT

    I got the first iPad pro. I keep having trouble when I go for the color circle in the right corner, it activates the second app slide over or the notifications from the top. Even though the previous iOS had these features, I dont think they were as sensitive (if that makes sense) as the current iOS. its definitely something I've noticed since the update and it's starting to get in the way - my iPad is first and foremost a drawing machine

    submitted by /u/straydog13
    [link] [comments]

    [iOS 11] auto-capitalization sporadically on even when I turn it off

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 07:04 AM PDT

    I prefer to turn off auto-capitalization (as you can see) but the iPad (and/or keyboard) appear to have other ideas. yesterday I usually had auto-capitalization, sometimes not. today I had auto-capitlization as the default. under Settings I have auto-capitalization turned off.

    using a Brydge physical keyboard, if it helps. if I make the virtual keyboard appear I can see the virtual shift key activate when I begin a new sentence, before I disable it. help?

    submitted by /u/ryubyssss
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro deals at BB right now... $100 off

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 03:02 AM PDT

    Just saw the 64gb Ipad Pro 10.5 on sale for $549 (down from ($649). Just got the 9.7 pro so I can't take advantage of this, but thought one of you interweb friends might be on the fence and need a gentle nudge. ;)

    submitted by /u/papadoc55
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to stream or cast a video from my Mac to my iPad?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 07:22 PM PDT

    I have a video on my Mac hard drive, and would like to watch it in another room on my iPad Pro. Is there anyway I can do this?

    submitted by /u/QuantumMessiah
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t access the internet while connected to a VPN

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 06:38 AM PDT

    Last night I set up a home VPN running on my iMac with macOS server because I'm toying with the idea of making my iPad Pro my full-time development machine. I am able to connect to the VPN just fine, and I'm able to mosh into my iMac's terminal once I've done so.

    However, I lose all internet access when connected to the VPN. I'm using L2TP and have "Send All Traffic" enabled.

    I tried connecting to my the VPN with my MacBook, and it works just fine. Mosh, external sites, accessing the internal network, etc.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/gandalfgreysanatomy
    [link] [comments]

    What does this mean? I have the suggested and recent apps turned off. But this shows up once in a while.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 05:25 PM PDT

    My first gen iPad Pro 12.9” is showing some weird blue shade (bottom) and serious light bleeding (bottom right by the 5/5)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 05:31 PM PDT

    No audio when screen recording?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 04:21 PM PDT

    Is it not possible to record the audio playing on the iPad while recording the screen?

    submitted by /u/p3rsonaa
    [link] [comments]

    The Ultimate 10.5 iPad Pro Case?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 03:44 PM PDT

    I am looking for a case for my 10.5" iPad Pro that: -is compatible with the Smart Keyboard -is magnetized (so the keyboard doesn't flop around when it's folded over) -has an Apple Pencil holder

    I just bought the Poetic Lumos case off Amazon for $15 and it's perfect outside of the lack of magnetization. I tried wedging some rare earth magnets between the case and the iPad but they were not quite strong enough to keep the keyboard secured.

    I'm in med school and in the hospital I carry around and use my iPad like a clipboard. The caseless iPad works perfect but I need the pencil to be more secure (I'm worried about losing it).

    submitted by /u/BadComplex
    [link] [comments]

    ipad Air 2 32GB slow on ios 11

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 02:04 AM PDT

    Good morning, What is you opnion about performance on IOS11 on iPad Air 2? After upgrading mine few days ago, i feel the tablet much mre slow with some stutters.

    submitted by /u/skipitout
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro 9,7" + iOS 11: Apple Pencil only charges when screen is on

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 02:03 AM PDT

    As the title says, the pencil doesn't charge if the screen is turned off. This is definitely different from pre-iOS 11 behaviour. Anyone else seeing this behaviour? Another thing which I noticed is that the pencil discharges faster than before, and seems to randomly disconnect (ie not seen by the iPad).

    Hard to believe that a hardware failure manifested itself exactly the same time as I upgraded to ios 11?

    submitted by /u/Duracellglavni
    [link] [comments]

    I just got an iPad Pro 10"!

    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 04:18 PM PDT

    What are some tips and tricks I should know for my new iPad Pro? :)

    submitted by /u/QuantumMessiah
    [link] [comments]

    No more Ommwriter for the iPad?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 08:47 PM PDT

    Note-Taking app for STEM that does splitscreen?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 12:14 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for an easy to use notetaking app that does splitscreen, works well with the pencil and is made with STEM in mind, i. e. does proper mathemtical notation.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mortyFromRickAndMort
    [link] [comments]

    Does Anybody have an iPad Air 2? Did you upgrade to iOS 11? What about the performance?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 07:47 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel