• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 28, 2017

    Apple Wallpaper Wednesday [September 27]

    Apple Wallpaper Wednesday [September 27]


    Wallpaper Wednesday [September 27]

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 06:09 AM PDT

    Hello, /r/Apple, and welcome to Wallpaper Wednesday!

    Liven up your desktop space or iOS device with some new UI scenery! Please respect the rules below and upload the highest quality image you can find.


    Rules

    1. Please use a reputable image host like imgur.com.
    2. No NSFW posts.
    3. Directly linked images only (albums are acceptable).

    This thread will remain stickied for 24 hours. At that time, the thread will remain active, and an archives link will be posted in the sidebar for easy access. You may also find archives here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    new OS, same problem

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 02:43 PM PDT

    AirPods Shipping Estimates Improve to 3 to 5 Business Days

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 04:50 AM PDT

    PSA: Apple will still replace your iPhone 6S battery for free if your serial number matches here

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 07:59 AM PDT

    AI research firm - "Apple's Face ID is a triumph of Machine Learning Technology"

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 08:48 AM PDT

    New betas show off iPhone X lock screen and home screen experience

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 11:54 AM PDT

    iPad Pro 10.5" is a profound piece of technology for students

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 09:39 PM PDT

    Hi there,

    I'm a junior studying aerospace engineering who picked up an iPad Pro 10.5" and the accompanying Pencil. I just wanted to post here and encourage anyone on the fence about ditching paper notebooks that the grass is much greener on the other side.

    Here's a great example: My professor said we were allowed a front-and-back crib sheet for our exam, which is pretty common. This is something I would usually write out and have to erase a ton before I get to a good final version. With this iPad and GoodNotes 4, I can move text around, easily resize sections, draw nice straight dividing lines. The result is a much cleaner, much more usable crib sheet. The result is seen here:

    Example!

    This device is literally changing the effectiveness I have in classes. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

    submitted by /u/SlipperyPineapple
    [link] [comments]

    First Time Apple Watch Owner... Here are my impressions of the Series 3 with LTE

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 03:48 PM PDT

    Why did I get an Apple Watch?

    My primary motivation for purchasing the Apple Watch was to join forces with my AirPods and deliver the best possible music listening experience while running outdoors and exercising at the gym. I spend roughly 10 hours each week either running outdoors or working out at the gym. I really enjoy my AirPods, but I don't enjoy the lack of touch controls on the AirPods. Additionally, I don't like the way my iPhone 6 Plus feels in my pocket as I run, and at the gym I often have to take my phone out of my pocket because various exercises cause my phone to fall out of my pocket.

    In addition to this, I liked the idea of being able to see all of my notifications (of which I receive many) without the need to constantly keep my phone in my pocket and pull it out when my pants vibrate.


    Has the watch lived up to expectations?

    So far, yes, it has pretty much delivered on its promise. I really do find running even more of a joy now. It feels really nice to go for runs with nothing more than a house key in my pockets and a watch on my wrist (and no wires anywhere). Changing the volume as I run is easy with the digital crown. Holding the digital crown and telling Siri what to play is also super easy. It's nice to be able to control the many hours worth of music I downloaded to my watch (and I already reached capacity haha) but it's really crazy to think that I'll be able to stream pretty much every song ever on my watch starting next month.

    As for getting notifications without having to take out my phone... It's a nice little luxury, but since my phone is still usually with me anyway unless I'm working out, it's only marginally useful. The main thing I like about it is just that I no longer feel obligated to keep my phone in my pocket at all times while I'm home.


    What else about the watch do I find useful?

    I really did not expect that the watch face itself would be so useful. Granted, I gave an assist with some paid apps, but when I look down at my watch I see the following:

    https://i.imgur.com/7aqjhp5.jpg

    Top-Left: Calendar (Apple default).

    Center: Carrot Weather.

    Bottom-Left: Things.

    Bottom-Center: Fantastical.

    Botton-Right: Music

    What this little image doesn't show you is that the "Things" complication has a meter showing what % of my daily to-dos I have completed, and the "Fantastical" complication shows the time of my next event. For someone who struggles with organization, it's really nice being able to keep track of my events and to-dos at a quick glance (not to mention my upcoming reminders). And I am convinced that access to a detailed Carrot Weather report from just a glance at my watch is an unbeatable solution to getting the weather details I need to know for the rest of my day.

    Other highlights:

    • GPS / Apple Maps on the watch is much nicer to have on the watch than on the phone when it comes to walking around.

    • Fitness tracking is really nice to use while running. Sure, the iPhone can do this too, but I never felt motivated enough to constantly pull my phone out of my pocket and check my current time and distance. But the watch makes keeping track of health and fitness stats fun.

    • Going back to the whole thing with the music again... the Apple Watch + AirPods (or your Bluetooth headphones of choice) is useful for more than just exercising... if you listen to a lot of music during the day it's a great thing to have in general. No wires to worry about while cooking, but with the ability to easily press stop if someone starts talking to you IRL. No other music listening experience beats the overall convenience of a nice pair of Blutooth headphones with the Apple Watch.


    Low Points

    • When I first started using the Apple Watch, my notifications were completely busted and I was not too happy. I eventually figured out I should try unpairing and re-pairing the watch from my phone, a process that took ~25 minutes. This did fix my issues, but it caused a few hours of frustration.

    • I have found Siri inconsistent. At random times when I give Siri a command, she will tell me that she is not connected to the Internet... even though she clearly is.

    • Another Siri-related issue. When I'm in the same house with my phone and I tell Siri on my watch to play a song, she'll change the song on the phone but not the watch. I don't know if there's a way to fix this. (This is not an issue when I take the watch away from my phone, like when I'm out for runs for example). I don't know if this is just a huge design flaw or if there's something wrong with my watch in particular, but it's frustrating either way.

    • No podcasts app. Boo.


    To LTE or not to LTE... that is the question

    Do I find the LTE useful? Yes, I do. During the couple of hours I spend working out every day, it's nice to be able to mostly just concentrate on what I'm doing without getting too distracted (like I do with my phone often), but still being connected and around to respond to something if I need to. But I think the best thing about LTE won't arrive until next month when you have basically any song you want available for playing on your wrist at any time.

    Considering that you also get double the storage on the LTE version (16 GB vs 8 GB), it was an easy decision for me to get the LTE version. The future resale value will probably completely make up for the $70 difference in upfront cost. As for the $10 per month charge... Well, you can always cancel it. But for the various reasons I have mentioned, I'm quite sure I will be keeping it (also worth mentioning that my carrier gives me the first 3 months for free).

    As for battery... It's not perfect, but it gets the job done for me. I've been using the LTE connection for roughly ~1.5 hours each day, with the remainder of the time having the phone either paired with my phone or on WiFi. I also use it to listen to music during my commute. I've been getting home with low battery, but I've made it. So I haven't suffered due to lack of battery... at least so far.

    Oh, and that red dot? It may seem bad in HD photos and 4k videos with extreme close-ups... but in the real world, no one cares. You don't even see the dot when you wear the watch. Other people don't really notice it either unless they're looking for it. But if you just can't get over it, then suck it up and pay $10 to buy some WatchDots and cover it up.


    Final Thoughts

    Despite some of the issues I've had with Siri, I'm really happy with my watch. I feel that it's already becoming an integral part of my daily existence. It really does make all my time running and at the gym more enjoyable for me. I enjoy the easier access to notifications, and I really enjoy all the useful information I have access to just from a quick glance at my watch. It's a tool that makes me just a little bit more efficient and a bit more likely to be mindful of my schedule and tasks I need to accomplish. And getting the day's weather forecast is now as easy as checking the time.

    But make no mistake, the Apple Watch is still ultimately second fiddle to your phone and there's a lot it can't do even with LTE. You need your phone if want to do more than the basic tasks of playing music and checking the time/weather/calendar/reminders/to-dos/phone calls/texts/emails/brief news headlines.

    So, who should get this watch? A few points:

    • I can only recommend the LTE version for people who exercise regularly and enjoy the idea of being able to workout without your phone in your pocket but still want some way of being connected to the world.

    • I'd recommend the non-LTE version for people who don't care so much about the fitness stuff but like the idea of something that can boost their productivity a little bit by not having to pull their phone out of their pockets quite so often and getting distracted by it.

    • If you don't have some real expendable income, then I wouldn't recommend getting any Apple Watch. Ultimately nothing about the watch is essential like a phone or a computer. It's just a very nice little luxury.

    submitted by /u/TheIronKraken
    [link] [comments]

    Apple releases first iOS 11.1 developer beta for iPhone and iPad

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 09:58 AM PDT

    Apple Launches Privacy Website Intended To Show Just How Secure iPhone and Other Products Are

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 12:34 PM PDT

    iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X Support the Galileo Satellite System for Better GPS

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 06:59 AM PDT

    Apple *almost* implemented FaceTime PiP, but the camera frustratingly shuts off

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 08:06 PM PDT

    In High Sierra, if you start a FaceTime in non-full screen, click Video → Always on Top, it makes it seem like FaceTime is in PiP. You can scroll through other full screen apps and FaceTime stays right where it is. The green camera light stays on, making it seem like everything is ok.

    However, the other person sees "paused." Indeed, if you click on the FaceTime app, the camera light turns off. This is probably my most requested feature, and they were SO close to implementing it. What gives?

    submitted by /u/dolphinsarethebest
    [link] [comments]

    macOS 10.13 is a healthy update for older compatible machine... the answer : yes!

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 05:02 PM PDT

    My old macmini is more than alive since yesterday's upgrade.

    What about you?

    submitted by /u/deijmaster
    [link] [comments]

    Tip: A way to set a custom ringtone/text tone without using a computer

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 09:51 PM PDT

    I just found this out today, and I apologise if it's already common knowledge.

    Its possible to use Documents or any file manager app plus GarageBand to set custom ring and text tones on your iPhone.

    First: Download your desired sound (mine was Diane's "Serial" ringtone from Bojack Horseman)

    Second: Open GarageBand, create a new track (I chose voice recorder as the tool), then press the button on the top left with the many rectangles on it to take you to the screen where you can manage and mix different audio tracks.

    Now you can import your own custom "loop" by pressing the loop button near the right top corner and selecting "Audio Files", then choosing to "import from iCloud Drive" will open the files interface where you can choose your audio file.

    Once it is imported and is visible in the tracks screen, leave the editor and return to the main menu where you can select your different projects.

    Press select on the top right, tap the project with your ringtone inside, and open the share menu. here you'll see the "export as ringtone" option. Tap on that and afterwards you'll find your tone in the sounds menu in settings.

    submitted by /u/thesomedude777
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 8 sales are in line with expectations

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 03:31 AM PDT

    Direct link to Apple's Face ID security white paper

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 09:18 AM PDT

    AirPods back in stock @ Costco for $139.99 (Membership required)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 12:13 PM PDT

    Setting timers with Siri on High Sierra... How is this still not a thing?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 09:47 PM PDT

    PSA: Siri has a text-only interface in macOS High Sierra

    Posted: 28 Sep 2017 01:31 AM PDT

    Enable it in System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Siri -> Type to Siri.

    Never awkwardly talk to your computer in public again. Works on iOS as well ;)

    submitted by /u/netmute
    [link] [comments]

    The latest free perk on U.S. airlines: Mobile messaging

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 03:28 PM PDT

    Granting photo library permissions can betray your entire location and device history to 3rd party apps without giving them location permission.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 07:03 AM PDT

    What are the issues you’re having with iOS 11?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 10:12 AM PDT

    Kuo: Reports of iPhone 8 Sales Woes 'Overdone' and 'Excessively Negative'

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 05:32 AM PDT

    What do you think about your MacBook Pro 13 (2017) ?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 11:25 PM PDT

    Hi, I am struggling with the decision, to switch from my Surface Pro to a Macbook Pro because my Surface has many Problems with the Display ( lightbleed, dead Pixels ) Today my third Surface Replacement will arrive and if it has Probelems I will maybe switch.

    So, are there Issues with the Display on the MacBook Pro 13 ( 2017 ) And How Is the Battery on it :)

    submitted by /u/YoKoGFX
    [link] [comments]

    Stickies received an updated in macOS High Sierra! First update in 4 years!

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 07:05 AM PDT

    Cross-posted from /r/apple

    Opened up Stickies today to see a slightly updated UI!

    When window is active, compared to previous.

    The version number is 10.1. According to Wikipedia, this is the first update since 2013. Almost four years.


    Archived Wikipedia article as of before today:

    Wikipedia (I have edited the information on Wikipedia):

    submitted by /u/n0mar
    [link] [comments]

    Would the iPhone X sell out with 12 million units?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 08:52 AM PDT

    My question is the title, I thought iPhones only sold around 6 million per pre-order. Am I missing information?

    TITLE EDIT: Would the iPhone X sell out as soon as pre-orders begin?

    EDIT: The iPhone I am referring to is the 6/6+ because they were the biggest redesign back then

    submitted by /u/swimmertoo0812
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel