• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 24, 2017

    Apple "The crazy ones" hidden easter egg

    Apple "The crazy ones" hidden easter egg


    "The crazy ones" hidden easter egg

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 04:22 PM PDT

    I don't know if this is widely known, but going through my display resolution settings I noticed that the text displayed on the different icons of the Scale options are actually the transcript from the 1997 ad from the "Think Different" campaign. I recently read that they also used this for the TextEdit icon in a previous version of MacOS. In my opinion it is one of the best ad campaigns Apple has ever done (I like the Steve Jobs narrated version the best), so it's quite cool to see them using it as part of their current tech.

    Here is a screenshot of the icons

    submitted by /u/simenoyen
    [link] [comments]

    not sure if this if this was an intended feature of iOS 11

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 04:06 AM PDT

    Daring Fireball: DXO Ratings Are Horseshit

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 01:09 PM PDT

    With the iPhones and iOS taking the limelight for the past week, let's not forget that tomorrow is the public release of macOS High Sierra

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 11:53 PM PDT

    Annoyed at the WatchOS4 Now Playing screen when playing any audio on the iPhone? This is how to disable the automatic activation.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 06:09 PM PDT

    On the iPhone.. Apple Watch app >> General >> Wake Screen >> Disable "Auto-launch Audio Apps"

    submitted by /u/Z7N6Qo
    [link] [comments]

    The magic of iPhone - 2007

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 04:09 PM PDT

    I just recalled a memory and decided it was time to email Tim Cook About it. Here it is: Hi Tim,

    I was just looking out the window when a song came on. I teared up at the thought of a sweet old couple I met so many years ago when I was a server at Polo Grill in Tulsa, OK.

    One night, my manager came up to me and asked "You just got the iPhone right?" Knowing him, I reluctantly said, "Yes." He told me that this sweet old man at table 2 asked if we could find a way to play he and his wife's song, "You are my sunshine" for their anniversary. Without flinching we bought it on iTunes and waited.

    Everyone started chatting when they began preparing their desert, and when it was time everyone huddled around the wait station that overlooked the table. The desert came out, and so did the iPhone on a tray, playing their song. Tears filled her eyes, as well as everyone in the house. They hugged and kissed, and my phone made its way back to me. An evening instantly filled with magic.

    I'd never thought about this story, and how absolutely amazing that moment was, until right this second, sitting in a coffee shop in Dallas, TX, years and hundreds of miles removed from that job, fighting the tears that are swelling in my eyes.

    I was 18, freshly out of high school and work at that fancy restaurant (which was the only way I was able to afford the first iPhone) You bet your ass I got it the day they went on sale! At full price. No regrets. I could sense the magic in the air when the phone came out. I could tell that this phone would change the world. One magical moment at a time. And boy was I right.

    Congratulations on 10 years full of iPhone magic, Apple.

    "You have shattered all my dreams."

    submitted by /u/Valesparza
    [link] [comments]

    Inside iPhone 8: Apple's A11 Bionic introduces 5 new custom silicon engines

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 04:35 PM PDT

    The most annoying thing about having an iPhone 8

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 09:44 AM PDT

    So I got mine yesterday and have been showing it off to my friends and family with all the same reactions. I hand it to them and they get so excited, with a sudden look of disappointment as they power the phone on. Everyone seems to think the iPhone 8 is the iPhone X and it's really annoying because literally every reaction has been like this! Anybody else getting these reactions?

    End of first world rant

    submitted by /u/Drawwker
    [link] [comments]

    Apple posted a playlist of all songs from the iPhone event on Apple Music

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 11:34 AM PDT

    Opinion: The iPhone X press shots don't do the phone a favor

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 01:26 PM PDT

    Apple decided to depict the iPhone X with the red/blue/white gradient we all know in their press shots. I can't help myself, but I think they made a mistake by going with plain colors instead of a photo like in previous years (flower, fish, leaf,...), or at least they should have added the clock from the lockscreen.

    When I look at the picture of the iPhone X on their website, I see a rounded steel rectangle with a screen in the front; this looks nice but not overwhelming. Only when I scroll down and see a picture with the homescreen or inside of an app, my brain starts to click and at that point I'm suddenly a thousand times more amazed.

    Because in that moment my brain remembers what it knows an iPhone normaly looks like, compares it with what it's seeing and realizes the massive change. What I'm trying to say is: The brain needs something familiar, to be able to see the change, otherwise it's just a rounded steel rectange.

    I hope in their future ads for the phone they at least add the lockscreen clock, not even the date or the WiFi bars, just the clock. This way it's still very simple, but people say: "Wow! That's an iPhone?"

    submitted by /u/riepmich
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else disappointed in Google Drive’s integration with Files?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 07:08 AM PDT

    It should be shown like the iCloud Drive files, not as a webpage.

    submitted by /u/theresacrab
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 8/8+: New Haptics?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 07:36 PM PDT

    I just received my iPhone 8 yesterday. Upgraded from an iPhone 7.

    It seems that there are new UI haptics in iOS 11 on the iPhone 8.

    For example, there's now a haptic buzz when you hit the shutter button on the camera. I don't recall my 7 doing this (on neither iOS 10 nor 11).

    What are some of the other new haptics in iPhone 8 that you guys have found?

    submitted by /u/zskzsk
    [link] [comments]

    (Almost) 24 hours with iPhone 8+ ...and OS4 on a series 2 watch - mini review/impressions

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 08:46 AM PDT

    Good morning. And in case I don't see you, good afternoon good evening and good night.

    I received my iPhone 8+ yesterday evening to upgrade from my 6. I never really felt much love for the 6; mine wasn't put together particularly well and it's aged badly. The battery is done after only ~600 cycles, the screen only works when it wants to (almost everyone else I knew who had the 6 had the same problem) and despite having blazing fast hardware, iOS 10 has really slowed it down. I didn't bother with iOS 11 yet at all.

    So anyway. To start with I did an iCloud backup, mainly because I wanted to preserve my health data and reduce hassle with swapping my watch to the new phone. It was all relatively painless; un-pair watch, back up, go to new phone, restore backup, update and re-pair watch. Everything moved over, wallpaper, icons, apps download themselves, even things like the silent switch behaviour and ringtone volume are remembered. I've never done an iCloud restore before so it was quite nice to see how "complete" it is. Furthermore, it doesn't restore unnecessary things like all the jailbreak files buried in the filesystem... so my banking apps will all now work.

    Phone got a bit hot and bothered while moving everything over, which I was conscious of so I sat it near an open window while on charge. As has been the experience whenever I get a new iPhone, syncing my iTunes library (15 or so gigs of music, 5000 pictures) brought the phone to its knees, hung halfway through, forced me to crash out and then restart the sync. I find it amusing that this happens whenever I get a new iPhone, but by this stage I'd have kind of hoped it would manage in one go considering the iPhone 8 has a quantum computer humming away at its core.

    onto the product

    I like the Plus size. I bought it because I no longer have (or particularly want) an iPad, and despite the fact that I love my little MacBook Air to bits, when sitting on the couch, or in bed, I still often prefer to use my iPhone for internet, youtube, etc. So why not get one with a nice size screen. I am also a keen photographer who is actually considering getting rid of (or just not taking out of the house again) my "proper" camera, because the bulk of one kind of cramps your style when you just want to chill in the streets. So I needed an iPhone with a great camera.

    The dynamic range of the camera has me impressed. Here is a picture taken from the iPhone 6: https://imgur.com/zUegrGm

    And here is the same taken from iPhone 8+: https://imgur.com/SISG3g1

    The dynamic range is incredible, and even I don't feel the benefit of it unless I look on the iPhone itself because of the super duper wide gamut screen.

    Holding it is no different to the regular sized phone. Three fingers under the back, pinkie underneath the speaker resting on it, thumb ready to paw at the screen. it feels a bit heavier but the ergonomics are no different. I can still use it one handed, but I still need to use a 2nd finger to type, or to do some things at the top of the screen. So it feels no different to using the 6. I have medium sized hands that are about the same length as the iPhone 8+. Interestingly, the extra weight means when I press the home button the phone is less likely to flip or slip out of my hand, which would happen sometimes with the 6 as it was so light.

    As you can see here, it's actually the same size as an iPhone 6 in a mophie case, but a hell of a lot thinner: https://imgur.com/DQBxLNS

    The speakers are just brilliant. You get true stereo sound from the phone although you notice it better when you turn it on its side. it's now almost good enough I'd say that for casual listening you no longer need a bluetooth speaker. the bass response really surprised me, most of the time I could never hear the bass guitar in the songs I listened to, it can now be heard very prominently. I am very impressed with the sound of music from the phone, although the resonance can be felt through the screen even at half volume.

    The home button feels somewhat vague, even on the 3rd setting, but I will soon get used to that. For something that is entirely simulated by the taptic engine though it does very well. The intensity of the "click" also varies with how hard you press, although interestingly it doesn't work unless the sensor detects a fingerprint. If you try pressing it with your knuckle, for instance, it doesn't work.

    The glass back will take some getting used to and is a throwback to the iPhone 4. It will slip off a trouser leg, fabric couch, car seat, just like the iPhone 4 would. The transition from the glass to the metal frame also feels a bit unusual, but for me it is at least consistent around the whole edge of the phone.

    The phone is for the most part very fast, but so was the 6 on iOS 8 (I still miss that, and the untethered jailbreak!). There are however noticeable lags, frame rate drops on some animations which is a but unsettling. Battery drain when the phone is idle with the screen off is a bit higher than I'd expect, and there are odd bugs like widgets in the landscape view, scrolling causes the search bar to clip through them all.

    I think, as seems to be consensus round here, we need a point update to address some of these issues. As a first time ever launch day adopter of a product though, i can't say I am anything other than impressed, and this is why I like being a part of the Apple ecosystem. Apart from the hiccup with my iTunes library, which more than anything amused me, everything went great with more waiting than actual effort.

    submitted by /u/Trencheel303
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to make Podcast the default in the media player in the control panel on iOS 11?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 06:42 PM PDT

    Under the prior OS whatever you were playing last was what would play when you hit play from control panel, but now if I'm playing a podcast and take a break, when I hit play again it'll have switched from podcasts to music and will start playing some random selection from my music. I really only listen to podcasts, is there a way to make that the default? This is odd behaviour from the previous iOS.

    submitted by /u/rbrumble
    [link] [comments]

    iOS 11 feedback to Apple: Spotlight search is super awesome, it'd be great if it was easier to access

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 03:04 PM PDT

    Force touch for multitasking is coming back in a point release, so there's hope. Please send similar Spotlight feedback if you agree:

    I'm loving the improvements to Spotlight search in iOS 11. Within an app, it now takes 3 swipes to start a search, whereas in iOS 10 it took 1.

    A short swipe from the top of the screen in any app used to start a search. It'd be fantastic to have that back! If that messes with the 'Cover screen' design, then how about the pulled-down screen is the last one used - if it was widgets, it stays on widgets. Then it'd be 2 down swipes to start a search, which would be a lot faster and less awkward than the down/right/down swipes at present.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/philosteen
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: Walmart is selling the iPhone SE for $129.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 08:33 AM PDT

    This is with Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, and Total wireless so I don't know compatibility with other carriers.

    Link

    submitted by /u/jakemg
    [link] [comments]

    The glass back made the difference for me going with the plus size

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 12:56 PM PDT

    I previously owned a 6 plus for just a couple weeks before exchanging it for a 6. I liked the idea of a bigger screen but it was just so unwieldy. I never felt like I had control of my phone and it would sometimes slip if I tried to move my hand up to swipe down the notifications.

    Well I just picked up the 8+ after trying it in a store and it's perfect now. The glass back sticks to your fingers so you can hold it in one hand and move it around and handle it without feeling like it's gonna drop. I imagine this might not make much sense to anyone whose never tried the plus sizes or had a problem with them, but it makes the difference in getting one for me. So yeah the 8+ is great.

    submitted by /u/abhpro
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: reboot on iPhone 8 is different hardware keys

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 10:12 PM PDT

    Click and release volume down, volume up, then hold power.

    Had to take it into a store to unfreeze. Siri gave wrong instructions to just hold the power down. Apple geniuses had to look up some internal memo.

    submitted by /u/SyAbleton
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 8 Plus vs Android phones [Fast Charging Test]

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 01:53 PM PDT

    Overall, I'm impressed. It looks like the iPhone 8 Plus with the 29W USB-C Charger does 53% in 30 minutes and 82% in 1 hour.

    I'd say that's pretty impressive considering the regular 5W Charger fully charges an iPhone 8 Plus in about 3 hours or more. (basing this on previous iPhone Plus'es)

    More importantly, this is a great top off feature as the most crucial part is the first 30 minutes.

    Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giNDmdKBu0Q

    submitted by /u/muuuli
    [link] [comments]

    watchOS 4 battery life

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 06:14 PM PDT

    I have the SS S0 42mm and my battery life sucks with watchOS4. Lately I've been using my watch while running to listen to music with my AirPods. I also run with a Garmin so I don't have the Apple Watch in workout mode. I'm only listening to music over Bluetooth.

    With watchOS 3 I could run and listen to music for an hour and never worry about battery life at he end of the day. It never even crossed my mind to check it. Battery life has always been great, even when playing 18 holes of golf with a tracking app.

    Now with watchOS 4 by 9pm I'm down to 14%. I went for a slightly longer run yesterday and got the low battery warning around 8:30pm. I typically put on the watch at the same time every day between 7-7:30am. What's everyone else's experience with watchOS 4? I'm pretty frustrated. My watch was great last week - I've loved it ever since I got it, and now it sucks because of the update.

    Worrying about all day battery in something like a watch is unacceptable. Nothing else has changed. My usage pattern is the same as it was previously. I would have preferred that Apple held back the update for the older devices.

    submitted by /u/spmcewen
    [link] [comments]

    Just made the switch from Android to iPhone - here are my impressions

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 03:55 AM PDT

    I've been using Android ever since HTC Hero. I've been through flagships and budget phones alike, but now I've finally gotten myself an iPhone 8, because I kinda got fed up with Googles shit.

    Until now, my phone has been a Xiaomi Mi5 with Lineage (just to give an idea on what my latest Android experience has been), and I'm switching because I got tired of relying on 3rd party developers to bring the latest and greatest to my phone, as well as the general unpredictability Android generally brings - now I want my phone to Just Worktm


    I'll start with the cons:

    • iOS is not actually 100% smooth, even on the most powerful phone in the world, as iPhone fans otherwise led me to believe. It's hell of a lot smoother than any Android phones I've tried, but there is a bit of stutter here and there. The takeaway is that no phone is 100% smooth, I guess.

    • AR is not particularly impressive, unless it's under perfect light conditions

    • Settings are completely retarded. Automatic* display brightness under accessibility? Okay. I'm also fine with app settings being under Settings.app, but those app settings are almost always split up between the app itself and Settings.app.

    • Animations are slooooow (and reduce motion is awkward, I just want the regular animations but faster)

    • No way to see screen on time, except maybe counting the foreground time of each app??

    • iOS 11 doesn't seem to be particularly polished (but I presume 11.1 will be better)

    • Apps are not kept in memory as long as I'd like them to be.

    • MFi certified lightning cables are expensive compared to micro-USB and USB-C

    • Apps are generally more expensive and/or have more intrusive ads

    • No app trial is pretty weak, compared to Android, where you get refunded if you uninstall an app within two hours

    • Being able to tap-to-home would be nice, especially since the hardware fully supports it


    And here are the pros:

    • As mentioned earlier, it's hell of a lot smoother than any Android I've tried. I really appreciate that.

    • Battery life seems pretty good. Not anything groundbreaking, but I seriously can't see myself reach 0% by the end of the day, unless I use it all day

    • Practically unlimited amount of accessories is great

    • App quality seems a lot higher (I guess this is why they're more expensive) and devs generally prioritize iOS

    • There's are actually several proper backup solutions, compared to Android, which has a grand total of zero

    • 3D Touch is absolutely great, and it was one of the big reasons I bought an iPhone

    • Touch ID is speedy as fuck --- although it is kinda negated by slower animations

    • Taptic engine really gives the phone a whole other "feel", especially with the home button. It actually feel like an actual button, which is impressive.

    • iMessage is pretty neato (although I almost exclusively use Messenger)

    • Effective system-wide adblocking is stupidly easy

    • App launching is really speedy, which makes the only decent multitasking considerably more bearable

    • The touch latency on iPhones is totally underappreciated, and it makes the phone feel much more responsive

    • Siri (and dictation) works really well in Danish, unlike anything voice-related on Android

    Edit: I forgot to mention TrueTone!! It's so good! I thought it literally wouldn't matter, but it feels so nice and natural

    I could mention a whole lot of other, smaller things, like the nice camera and water resistance, but those are fairly obvious, so I'll just end it by saying that I'm by no means regretting getting an iPhone 8 so far. It's a really nice device overall, and I honestly can't see myself going back to Android any time soon. I'll be keeping this phone for at the very least a year, that's for sure.

    submitted by /u/MrHaxx1
    [link] [comments]

    Having a great time with all my new products!

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 01:45 PM PDT

    The vocal minority is strong today, so I wanted to let people know that there are people actually enjoying their things.

    I got the Stainless Steel black series 3 LTE, the Apple TV 4K, and the iPhone 8 plus.

    It's all running smoothly, photos from the 8 plus are incredible, video at 4K 60HZ is amazing, and everything is springy and fast.

    Apple Watch series 3 is super fast compared to 2. Siri is ready, and does what I ask as quickly as iPhone. The switching between tethered and LTE is unnoticeable. Otherwise it's an Apple Watch and I love it.

    Apple TV 4K on my Sony 4K HDR tv is amazing. I've watched cartoons in 480p from Nickelodeon, Steven universe on Hulu, an anime on crunchyroll, a movie on iTunes, and a 4K HDR movie on Netflix and iTunes.

    Obviously 4K HDR video looked great. Anything else looked natural if not a bit sharp and color popped, but not in a way that would worry a videophile.

    In the end remember people using their devices and loving it are not as likely to post. All this negativity may be real, some people like drama, and what few problems there are seem easily fixed.

    Have a good day Apple users!

    submitted by /u/zagarzz
    [link] [comments]

    Why can’t I clear out my recent notifications all at once anymore?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 09:03 PM PDT

    I'm usually out can't always have my iPad with me so I leave it at home, but when I come back I have a huge list of notifications from YouTube and tumblr. Why do I have to swipe left down the list for every single one, usually swiping to the camera instead, instead of just simply tapping an x and clearing them all out at once? Why can I now only do this for notifications I got yesterday or earlier in the week? Why did they do this? How can I get it to where I can clear out all of my recent notifications all at once instead of tediously swiping left and trying to not open the camera?

    submitted by /u/HatCoffee
    [link] [comments]

    Turning off night shift improves frame rate issues in iOS 11

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 05:25 PM PDT

    At least that's what I noticed in my iPhone SE. Night shift has been causing games and apps to have low frame rate in animations and overall performance.

    submitted by /u/dudejust
    [link] [comments]

    The TV app is available to download from the App Store in Australia!

    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 04:18 PM PDT

    The TV App is finally here in Australia after months of waiting. You have to download it from the App Store and it replaces the Videos app (so you can delete that now). I thought it'd be automatically replaced with a software update.

    If you don't know, the TV app combines all sources for TV shows and movies on your device so you can browse and start watching content right from the app. For us Australians, beyond iTunes and Netflix, this includes content from SBS, ABC, 7, 9, and Ten.

    submitted by /u/iAmUnown
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel