• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 5, 2021

    macOS TIL that you can manually highlight in Preview

    macOS TIL that you can manually highlight in Preview


    TIL that you can manually highlight in Preview

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 05:41 PM PDT

    iCloud Drive frustrations! Can't prevent a complete download.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 12:38 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I'm wondering if any of you have encountered the same frustrations with iCloud Drive and whether you've got any tips/solutions.

    I have a 2TB storage plan for iCloud and I've been trying to use iCloud Drive in the way I used to use OneDrive. I moved to iCloud because I wanted to keep everything under one 'roof' with Apple, and so I'd be paying for a single storage plan that provides better value for me (as I get Office through work anyway). I also enjoy how well the iOS Files app works with iCloud Drive.

    I have a PC, a MacBook Air and an iPhone. On both the PC and Mac, iCloud Drive desperately wants to download literally everything when it's turned on for the first time (or if it's turned off and on again). I've got about 700GB of data in iCloud Drive and I don't want it all on my devices. Kinda the whole point of using cloud storage for me...


    On my PC, it was (ironically) much easier to stop, but still not easy. I had to tell it to 'free up space' in Windows Explorer a few times as it was deciding what to download. Annoying, but I was able to stop it in the end and now it behaves like OneDrive did. As in it'll only download stuff if I tell it to. Still no pause option or change history, which is pathetic, but that's not the main issue here.


    On my Mac, however, I can't for the life of me get it to stop trying to download all 700GB of data. My Mac has a 1TB SSD, but there's only about 250GB of space on it. It doesn't seem smart enough to go "there's not enough room here, time to stop". I have no idea what it's even doing because it fills the whole remaining storage and then continues to download, hogging my bandwidth for days, apparently putting the extra data up its arse or something.

    I'm so frustrated with my iCloud Drive experience and it seems like the epitome of Apple removing control because they want to oversimplify things! It's so annoying that after all these years, you can't pause iCloud Drive syncing and you can't tell it to not download the entire contents and then selectively choose stuff to sync.

    And yes, I've tried 'Optimise Storage', I've tried killing 'bird' via Terminal, and I've even tried limiting the available space by adding a blank partition to the internal drive. I guess my only option is to let it get through all 700GB and then hopefully decide to stop, but I'd rather not suffer painfully slow Internet for the next 2 or 3 days.

    Any ideas? Do I just go back to OneDrive?


    tl;dr iCloud Drive for macOS is driving me nuts, can't be paused, insists on attempting to download all 700GB from online storage despite there not being anywhere near enough space. Help!

    submitted by /u/Waifujitsu
    [link] [comments]

    2019 Macbook Pro Touch Bar, Keyboard, Mouse, and Screen won’t work anymore? I can hear the Fan running though?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 12:44 AM PDT

    I thought connecting it to my TV via HDMI would work but sadly nothing...

    I have a Windows Keyboard & Mouse if that helps my situation in any way?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/acideyezz
    [link] [comments]

    There's a better way to see the file structure for a folder.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 05:18 PM PDT

    When you're in a folder in Finder, you can right-click on the folder name at the top to get a clickable file structure list. This is better than the bar at the bottom because you can actually click the names of the folders in the list to go back to them.

    Now, I admit this wouldn't be that useful for most people whose folders are only a few folders deep, but this could be useful if you're in a folder that is many folders deep and you don't want to go back through every folder to get to the one you want.

    submitted by /u/Reach-for-the-sky_15
    [link] [comments]

    Reported battery charge drops suddenly from 50% to 7%

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 06:36 PM PDT

    For the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that the battery charge level reported on my MacBook Pro Retina (mid-2015) drops suddenly from around 50% to 7% (see screenshot). I then get the battery notification, and after the reported charge drops a couple more points, the machine sleeps.

    At first I thought my battery was dying, even though it had been replaced a year ago and only had abou 500 cycles on it, so I replaced the battery (myself) and the same thing is happening with the new battery.

    I've done several recalibration cycles, and reset the SMC and NVRAM multiple times. Each time this happens, CoconutBattery shows a loss of a few percentage points of the full charge capacity of the battery. FWIW, the current charge reported by CoconutBattery matches what MacOS reports.

    The sudden drop in charge happens in a matter of minutes, and while I've never actually watched it happen, I haven't heard the fans start, so I doubt the problem is a massive CPU load.

    MacOS 11.5.1. This problem started before I installed the point update. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

    submitted by /u/jdykstra72
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation for App Switcher on MacOS when having a lot of windows of the same app?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 01:39 AM PDT

    Recommendation for App Switcher on MacOS when having a lot of windows of the same app?

    Short: I want to replace command - tab, because it suit my use due I am programming and always have many windows of the same app opens.

    submitted by /u/Lekowski
    [link] [comments]

    Workspace Layout saving

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 08:11 PM PDT

    Hey I wanted a third party app that with the input of a hotkey can automatically arrange all the windows in appropriate desktops and the appropriate monitor. and that pressing a different hotkey will bring out another Layout with different windows arranged in the workspaces.

    I aldredy Tried "Moom" but unfortunately it docent work between workspaces that is it only arranges windows in one layout.

    Please comment if you have use similar. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/DriverBubbly6034
    [link] [comments]

    Why wont -jar work in terminal?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 11:32 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the best subreddit to go to, but this was the first place I thought of going so.

    For some reason in in terminal the -jar command cannot be found. It exactly says:
    "-bash: -jar: command not found"
    What I'm trying to do is open a .jar file. But seeing as I can't open them for some reason, I'm doing the thing where you put the file in a folder, changing the terminal directory to the folder, and unlocking it with -jar ___.jar --nogui. (I'm sure there are better ways of opening it, but this one is the way I've found work on my other computers so far.)
    But for some reason -jar is not a command even though it's worked on my other macs.
    So what do I have to do to fix this?

    (Also I'm using Mohave and my Java version is 1.6.0_65 if it makes any difference. Also let me know if there is a better way of opening .jar files.)

    submitted by /u/WillDoesStuffs
    [link] [comments]

    Please! How to disable this notifications forever, so that they don't even think of showing up. omg

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 11:10 PM PDT

    Rosetta Apps left behind in Automatic Appearance switches

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 11:07 PM PDT

    When I setup my M1 Mac Mini to have "Automatic Appearance" (light mode in daytime, dark mode at night), I notice that Intel-based applications running under Rosetta tend to get "left behind" when the system switches from dark mode to light mode automatically. Strangely the converse isn't true.

    When I shut down the Mac while in dark mode and start it back on in light mode the next day, Intel-based applications remained in dark mode. Until I go to System Preferences and switch the Appearance to Light Mode, that's when those Intel-based apps picked up the appearance change.

    On macOS 11.5.1

    submitted by /u/cutecoder
    [link] [comments]

    hotkeys and window management in MacOS - Noob questions

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 08:58 PM PDT

    Picking up an M1 Mac soon. Coming from windows/chromeOS and I dont know if there are any equivalent features in MacOS natively or from any apps.

    What I'm looking for is:
    1. Can I use the keyboard shortcuts to open specific apps on the dock in lieu of using the trackpad?

    For instance, in ChromeOS I hold Alt + 1 and it opens the first app on my dock, and Alt + 2 for the second, etc.

    1. is there an app that allows me to select a pre-determined window position & size for the current app or all open apps? also, can I snap windows quickly similar to Windows?
      For example, in ChromeOS I hold Alt + either "[" to snap the window to the left or "]" to snap it to the right.

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Holdshort7
    [link] [comments]

    Get this error from time to time and absolutely NO WAY to shut down without holding in the power button manually!!! Has something to do with finder and iPhone's. Even when iPhone's are turned off it'll still show them in Finder in Catalina and no way to eject them!! I've tried it all!! Suggestions??

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 08:16 PM PDT

    Better desktop and window management?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 08:16 PM PDT

    Im looking for some help/advice for better window and desktop management in macOS.

    Is there a way to force macOS to open a new window of an app when selecting that app in the dock/launchpad/spotlight/finder, instead of changing to a desktop with an open window of that application?

    Example: Desktop 2 has an open safari window, desktop 1 does not. Im currently in desktop 1 and I want to open safari. Selecting safari in the dock will then change the active desktop to desktop 2 instead of opening a new safari window in desktop 1. This is extremely irritating. I dont want the active desktop to ever change unless I explicitly change it my self (either through gestures, shortcuts or mission control).

    Update: there's a setting in desktop settings to turn of "switch desktop", which half way solves my issue. But it doesn't open a new window in my active desktop, it just activates the app without opening a window...1 step forward, 2 steps back

    submitted by /u/Spend_Acrobatic
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an app that is a clone of Windows File Explorer? I love everything about OSX except Finder - I’ve spent too many years in Windows so it just doesn’t work for me

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 07:01 PM PDT

    Is it possible to stop Remindd process from taking > 100% CPU?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 06:39 PM PDT

    2020 Macbook Air (not M1), latest updates.

    I have found a bunch of forum posts and Reddit questions about this issue going back a couple of years. But there is no reported solution.

    I have tried unchecking Reminders iCloud syncing and rebooting. Remindd just starts back up again. Fan is constantly on.

    Any suggestions? Note: No interest in using Reminders app, so disabling/uninstalling would be perfect.

    submitted by /u/ChowboyDan
    [link] [comments]

    Xbox1 Controller Blue tooth buttons not working

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 06:18 PM PDT

    When I open steam All my buttons work, When I open a game (X imputs Y,) (Lt moves right joystick, RT moves the other half) (RB is the pause button) ETC,

    Does anyone know how to fix this since It's really bothering me and not working

    thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheKillerCrouton
    [link] [comments]

    Regarding WindowServer memory usage

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 02:12 PM PDT

    This is by far the most memory hungry process I've come across. Just by using the built in screen on the M1 Air + an external 4K monitor (5K resolution downsampled for more real estate), WindowServer RAM usage will balloon to 2.7 GB after about a week of uptime.

    Closing apps and unused windows usually brings it down a bit, but still seems too much. Although this has been an issue since High Sierra (probably from earlier even), I'd assumed it'd be fixed by now.

    Running Big Sur 11.5.

    submitted by /u/Advanced_Path
    [link] [comments]

    How to Record Computer Screen & Webcam - QuickTime Player

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 05:56 PM PDT

    Dual NIC MBA

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 05:23 PM PDT

    M1 MBA, Big Sur 11.5.1, 8/512 with docking station (10/100/1000 NIC)

    I have BT and wifi turned on so I can unlock with my Watch and communicate with my iPhone.

    The wifi and the wired NIC are on the same subnet.

    I've noticed that sometimes when I try to move large amounts of data (such as to/from a USB drive), the connections go haywire and I get timeouts and disconnect errors, and the only fix becomes either disconnecting the wire or a reboot. Symptoms include buffer errors with ping and disconnects of my NFS mount in the other room. (I use NFS because SMB is criminally slow.)

    However, I'd like to set the machine to prefer communication over the wired connection for speed reasons (the wifi in my house suuuuuuucks). It seems to do this when I'm just surfing, but large data transfers are both not super-uncommon and problematic.

    Does anyone have any guidance on how I might troubleshoot or resolve this?

    submitted by /u/wndrgrl555
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Cannot eject virtual disk/disk image because "Finder is using it"

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 04:41 PM PDT

    As the title says, whenever I download an app that first opens through a disk image, and I run said app, I'm no longer able to eject the disk without having to relaunch Finder and force eject the disk.

    I used the lsof command to see what's using the disk, and it indeed says Finder is using it, however I quit the app already and removed it from the applications folder, so I'm not too sure why there is even a Finder process to begin with.

    This has happened recently, and I'm not sure if this is because of Big Sur 11.5, but I'd like to know if there's a better fix beyond having to relaunch finder every time. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help out!

    submitted by /u/PSiCHO_
    [link] [comments]

    Transferring files from old MacBook while dealing with kernel panic and where to buy new one?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 04:03 PM PDT

    Yesterday I made a post on here about my 2017 12" MacBook with constant kernel panic - took it to the Apple Store and discovered it's got faulty RAM.

    I'd rather just buy a new laptop than pay the $500 repair and have decided on the new MacBook Air. I never backed up my hard drive and will need to transfer everything over while dealing with my old laptop restarting because of the kernel panic.

    Factoring the constant/random kernel panic restarts, will I be be able Time Machine/Migration Assistant or should I stick to just transferring over small batches of files onto an external drive manually? If possible, I'd like to use Migration Assistant since that's seems to be the easiest option. Also, I've got thousands of tabs up on separate browsers - would I be able to transfer those over using TM/MA? I would assume there's no keeping them just by transferring over files manually.

    As for purchasing the new MacBook Air, I'm interested in getting the model with the 2TB SSD which from what I can tell is only sold from Apple's website (not in stores), B&H and Adorama. Does anyone know of any other authorized resellers that carry this model? Unfortunately Google's shopping results weren't any help here. Amazon, Best Buy and Costco's websites aren't showing it at all.

    submitted by /u/AtmaWeapon
    [link] [comments]

    [Opinion] Crossplatform e-mail clients

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 03:27 PM PDT

    I've been using Gmail web browser (shock and horror) for many, many years. However, I've had to Frankenstein 3 different work accounts into the same main Gmail account, and now it's time that I switch to an actual client, like a big boy.

    I frequently switch between Mac, iOS, and PC, and while there isn't anything that will go between the three of them, I think that as long as I have two of the three down, we're golden.

    All of that being said: what do you all use for e-mail?

    I've tried the Mail app and Outlook, but I'm honestly scared of them using up too much hard drive space (I've got GIGS of e-mail that I sometimes need to search through, and the Gmail web search function is invaluable for that).

    submitted by /u/chinomage83
    [link] [comments]

    macOS 10.14.6: USB Audio Interface not showing up on mid 2015 MBP Retina

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 03:17 PM PDT

    Before anyone asks, my device does not have drivers. It works with the standard macOS audio drivers, and it worked perfectly up until yesterday.

    Things I have tried:

    - Restarting my computer
    - Closing all apps
    - Powering off, disconnecting, reconnecting, and powering on the interface in every possible combination
    - NVRM reset
    - Resetting the macOS audio driver by killing the process in Terminal (didn't work: "illegal process ID")
    - Using different USB cables

    I know it's not a hardware issue because my interface is USB powered and it powers on when I plug it in my laptop. Also, I've tried charging many other devices using the two USB ports, and they all work, so the ports themselves are functional.

    The device does not show up in either System Preferences, Audio MIDI setup, or System Report.

    What other troubleshooting steps should I take? I've tried everything that came up through searching.

    submitted by /u/Acceptable-Ad7729
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel